Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
I'm looking for suggestions of places in Japan for decently priced retro gaming. I lived in rural Japan 2010-2013 and built most of my collection in Hard-Off.

Super Potato in Akihabara was cool but overpriced so I don't remember buying too much from there. Trader had much better pricing, my highlight was a boxed copy of Castlevania IV.

In Osaka the Den Den Town was cool. I was able to get a big chunk of the Famicom Kunio games, and a boxed copy of Umihara Kawase before it came out on Steam.

Kobe had a cool retro gaming area but I honestly don't remember how I found it. I did find a copy of Plok there which I was very happy about!

Anyway the plan is to mainly spend time in Tokyo, Kyoto, Fukuoka and Ehime prefecture on Shikoku. Anyobdy know of any store names or neighborhoods I should seek out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
Went to my local game shop yesterday, broke down and bought a new Retron 5 after frying my last one with the wrong power brick.

While I was there, I picked up Sim City, NHL 94 and Super Tennis for CAD$30. I want to find a copy of Ken Griffey baseball eventually, but are there other good cheaper sports titles I should look out for along the way on SNES?

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005

d0s posted:

return the retron 5 and get a super NT if you need an easy HDMI SNES. there's absolutely no reason for the retron anymore

I was in the process of writing a big defense of the Retron but then I went on the Analogue website and saw they had some of the black Super NT units back up for pre-order. Mine should be shipping on March 1st! I'm still gonna keep both though for the time being , if only so I have something to play my NES, FC & Genesis carts on . Also the patching from SD card feature on the Retron means I can actually do something with my Mother 2 and FF6 carts instead of just looking at them.

I'm thinking by the time my next bonus comes in I can look into getting a RetroUSB AVS for NES & FC and whatever Analogue comes up with next for Sega consoles. For the time being though :retrogames: retro gamer spirit :retrogames: will just need to be content with what it has.

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005

wa27 posted:

they're so low you'll want to be turning Japanese?

Try again

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
Super NT just came in the mail, hell yeah my dudes :retrogames: :retrogames: :retrogames:

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005

katkillad2 posted:

I wish they would answer questions like... are they going to have versions other than black available for pre-order again and it's past March 1st, what happens if I pre-order a black now?

Yeah I might have preferred the SFC color scheme, but I got so excited when I saw they had any of them in stock that I just went for it.

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
Two weeks ago I went to A&C Games in Toronto and bought a copy of Aerobiz on SNES for $45 CAD, cart only. They had a boxed copy of Aerobiz Supersonic, which is the game I really wanted, but they were asking for $150 CAD for a boxed copy, which was way out of my range. While I was there I also picked up Phantom 2040 for $15 and Ken Griffey Jr Presents MLB for $10

This weekend I went to St. Jacobs, picked up a copy of Aerobiz Supersonic for $32.50, cart only. The cartridge is a little gross-looking, but the battery's still working. Also got Prince of Persia for $17.50. It's been a real :retrogames: month, but gently caress it it was my birthday recently.

Now excuse me while I watch Biff's cartridge cleaning videos during work hours

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSFayf8iw58

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
I found a copy of Gundam Wing Endless Duel at the Osaka Super Potato, can't wait to get back to Canada and play it on my super nt

I also got Dragon Quest V and VI on SFC, along with the official guidebooks :cool: gonna try to post pics this weekend!

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
Wario Land 1 is probably my favorite game that I could never go back to. I spent so many car rides glued to my Game Boy when I was 11, just finding every treasure on my own and not stopping until I maxed out the coin counter and got the best ending.

I skipped 2 and 3, but got Wario Land 4. Playing that game on the GBASP was awesome. So much personality in every part of the game. Were there any special rewards for beating it a second time?

Have there been other 2d platformers with that same kind of level of puzzling and exploration? All of the examples I can think of start veering into Metroidvania territory, which isn't what I'd be looking for.

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005

field balm posted:

Played through river city ransom on switch for the first time lately (yeah I know... I grew up with an sms so I've played renegade and double dragon). What other games in the series are worth a shot? Gotta be on switch or emulatable. Will probably grab river city girls when its on sale.

If you have that collection on Switch, make sure to try Double Dragon II, Crash n the Boys Street Challenge and Super Dodge Ball. A lot of the games are officially localized for the first time: The samurai River City Ransom game looks really fun, but I'm guessing you need a walkthrough to beat it because you can kinda go anywhere.

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005

field balm posted:

I just played it on the nes app thingy. I forgot about the collection lol I'll grab that for sure

Pretty sure Double Dragon II and Super Dodge Ball are on the NES app as well. The Kunio collection is interesting because you get a bunch of Japanese Kunio games localized in English for the first time, and to get enhanced emulation. I haven't tested it, but I assume this means you can play River City Ransom 2 player mode without flickering and slowdowns everywhere.

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
Typing of the Dead Overkill is okay. I played it years ago, had enough fun to play through the whole game once, then still muck around with all the modes.

As far as Steam typing games go I'd say check out Epistory instead

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005

Random Stranger posted:

I found Epistory to be much easier and less interesting than the Typing of the Dead games. There was less pressure with its typing, while Typing of the Dead being an arcade title originally really hammers players.

I liked the exploration and the family-friendliness of Epistory. The edgy grindhouse vibe of Typing of the Dead Overkill felt silly after a while.

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005

njsykora posted:

Nope, only the first game is in there. The gamelist on that is Final Fight, Captain Commando, The King of Dragons, Knights of the Round, Warriors of Fate, Armored Warriors and Battle Circuit.

Alien Vs Predator being on that weird CAPCOM arcade stick console gives me hope for a second bundle with that and Punisher at some point in the far-flung future.

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

I think something happening with AVP arcade is pretty likely. NECA started putting out toys based on the game late last year in addition to it being on that Capcom stick, and I don't think that particular sublicense would be available to them if Capcom and Disneyfox weren't planning on doing something with it.

Is all the AvP stuff under the Disney umbrella? I thought it was WB

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005

Dr. Spitesworth posted:

Cotton is also apparently in the upcoming Umihara Kawase game, which appears to be some sort of Smash Bros.-style crossover fighter, with grappling (as in grappling hooks, not Zangief).

It's a weird as hell time to be alive for anyone who followed super-niche import games in the late ’90s.

Cotton is also in Umihara Kawase Fresh, which is currently out on Switch, probably Steam as well. She's kind of an easy-mode character since she can hover around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
I don't want to be that guy but searching that name in that town on Facebook you get one guy with pictures of full armour, gj on doxxing your elementary school weirdo classmate

e: lol okay nice