Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Speaking of Free McBoot, has anyone used Open PS2 Launcher to load games over SMB? I'm trying to get it to work with my NAS server, but the game list is always empty, with no errors. I know it's connecting because I see in my logs:

User [vance] from [192.168.1.42(192.168.1.42)] via [CIFS(SMB1)] accessed shared folder [roms].

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Ah christ, Open PS2 Loader requires I have everything in special folders (CD games in CD folder, DVD games in DVD folder) and naming conventions. What a huge pain in the rear end. Well, better than nothing I guess.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

kirbysuperstar posted:

There's a manager program that can do it for you and get the art and stuff

Yeah I found the requisite apps to try and make this manageable. I think I have way more ROMs than Open PS2 Loader can manage without having mega long start up times, though.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Outrun 2006 Coast2Coast is so good

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Djarum posted:

Racing Megamix

If this happened there better be an unlockable Virtua Fighter character as a vehicle.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

I couldn't even figure out how to get Popstarter to work at all. There's a lot of conflicting information, since the project is abandoned now.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Kazvall posted:

Okay so, it needs the ps1 games to be converted to vcd. Then its "pretty" simple. You need to make a pops partition __.POPS, and you can place your files there. Then in the common folder you place popstarter.elf, pops.elf, and ioprp252 into the common/POPS folder you have created. Then you can use the Khn fork of wle to load them right from the pops partition.

Alternately you can move popstarter.elf from common/pops into opl+/pops and correctly name them all manually or with a utility to something like SLES_123.45.Game.vcd and they will show up right in opl. If you get really into it everything in opl can have it's own art assets but that's too involved for me lol.

Popstarter is actually actively supported by opl daily builds, you can even have custom ini type files loaded with the game to enhance compatibility. The hardest part is simply finding this poo poo. I havent found a game that does not work yet, but I have a long list.

Ps1 backups DO very easily work on ps2 using psxlauncher.elf on your fmcb memory card, if you have the sensors fixed on a ps2 slim. It's not hot swapping because the disc motor actually stops.

Btw popstarter revision 13 beta came out 6/5/19 and supports usb game loading, and is compatible with opl daily builds.

Yeah I was trying to get it to work in OPL. I got them all converted to VCD and named properly. I have the postarter .elf and some other random files that I think might or might not be required (who knows!?) in the POPs folder, but OPL doesn't see them. Maybe I should try getting vanilla popstarter working first?

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

I'll be a little disappointed if I end up putting an ODE in my Saturn when I've been backing the Satiator on Patreon for so long.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

oddium posted:

saw a free trinitron on craigslist not even listed as such, just a curb alert with a note that "grey tv works"

but when i got down there 30 minutes later it was already gone

I have two 27" early 2000s Trinitrons with component inputs. They were both free. :getin:

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

lo carb Lo Pan posted:

The Amiga version has the best writing though.

now that is some creative license

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

the best beat 'em up is actually Violent Storm

soundtrack anyways

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jV2nNg228Xg

I'm gonna get you eventually!
Everybody wanna knock Geldo down!
I'll go straight to Sheena (Sheena),
And I'll be there, yes I will!
This world is very difficult,
but I've got nothing to lose now!
There's no defeat, you'd sooner die!
Challenge the beginning of the end!
For I rescue Sheena,
I'm never gonna stop! (Feel my power!)
Now I spend my time fighting all around!
I'm a tough guy! (Do them in!)
You think you can beat us,
we got the look, oh so fine!
Just wait, I'll get even with you!

GET IT ON!

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

I like the idea of combo Saturn/Dreamcast accessories. If you combine these two half-consoles they make a whole one!

There's a new patreon update on the Satiator:

quote:

Apr 22 at 7:57am
Moving parts

I'm in the final push to manufacturing now: there are a dozen balls in the air. Here's where they are and where they're headed.

The first manufacturing lot will be small: about 100 units. As soon as these pass their test suite, I'll be pushing the button on a larger lot - more like 1000. This way, even if there's a serious problem in the first manufacturing run, I'll still have enough savings to scale up the build quickly once it's sorted out.

Right now, the first lot of PCBs have arrived at the assembly facility in California. (Yes, these will be made in the USA.) Components will be delivered shortly as well, so soldering can begin.

Today I also sent a production test system to the assembly joint as well. This will test and flash the boards: at that point, they'll be Satiators in function, if not in form.

The injection moulding mob have sorted out the tooling and samples of the plastic shells are on the way to me. This is the longest pole in the tent at the moment - this part is done in China and shipping is a bit sluggish with everything that's going on.

The last physical part is the packaging. My designer is making some final adjustments to the box design; these will be nice and quick to turn around - also made in USA.

The very final piece of this puzzle is an order page. This is basically a regular shopping cart website, but it has a little extra complexity, because Patreon supporters get first dibs on ordering. The way this is currently being put together is that anyone can preorder, but those orders will be filled according to priority: people who've been supporting the most will get the first Satiators, and the general public will get them last of all. I will have a lot more detail here when it's all locked in; this deserves a post of its own.

So that's where all the balls are as of today. I'm going to drop a short post here every time one of them lands somewhere new. I'm particularly excited about the shell and package samples - my natural design tendencies are pretty conservative, but I decided to go for broke with this thing and I think it's really paid off. Pics as soon as I get 'em!

I'm in the final push to manufacturing now: there are a dozen balls in the air. Here's where they are and where they're headed.

The first manufacturing lot will be small: about 100 units. As soon as these pass their test suite, I'll be pushing the button on a larger lot - more like 1000. This way, even if there's a serious problem in the first manufacturing run, I'll still have enough savings to scale up the build quickly once it's sorted out.

Right now, the first lot of PCBs have arrived at the assembly facility in California. (Yes, these will be made in the USA.) Components will be delivered shortly as well, so soldering can begin.

Today I also sent a production test system to the assembly joint as well. This will test and flash the boards: at that point, they'll be Satiators in function, if not in form.

The injection moulding mob have sorted out the tooling and samples of the plastic shells are on the way to me. This is the longest pole in the tent at the moment - this part is done in China and shipping is a bit sluggish with everything that's going on.

The last physical part is the packaging. My designer is making some final adjustments to the box design; these will be nice and quick to turn around - also made in USA.

The very final piece of this puzzle is an order page. This is basically a regular shopping cart website, but it has a little extra complexity, because Patreon supporters get first dibs on ordering. The way this is currently being put together is that anyone can preorder, but those orders will be filled according to priority: people who've been supporting the most will get the first Satiators, and the general public will get them last of all. I will have a lot more detail here when it's all locked in; this deserves a post of its own.

So that's where all the balls are as of today. I'm going to drop a short post here every time one of them lands somewhere new. I'm particularly excited about the shell and package samples - my natural design tendencies are pretty conservative, but I decided to go for broke with this thing and I think it's really paid off. Pics as soon as I get 'em!

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

nah texture warping can go gently caress itself. keep the dithering though please

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LG2AXbYDHBs

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Waltzing Along posted:

So I looked at the Nvidia Shield and it looks like a beast. If I am correct, the two best options for doing emulation > TV would be:

The Shield. It can emulate fairly well up to the DC and can stream some of your steam library. It's also $250.
PS Vita TV. It can run Vita, PSP and PSX perfectly natively, and can emulate up to SNES/Genesis and beyond to some degree. It's also much cheaper because I own it already.

Am I missing anything? It seems the PSVTV is probably my best option. I considered a Pi4 because it looks like a fun project. But it doesn't seem like it would be better than a Vita.

The Shield sucks for emulators because you're going to end up running a bunch of Android ports with half baked UIs and inconsistent features. I would rather have a Raspberry Pi with Retropie.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Detective No. 27 posted:

Had a weird craving, despite not buying PS1 games for years now.

Ah, the game that made me stop caring about JRPGs.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Anyone know anything about CRT repair or tuning? Preferably in the Minneapolis area?

I've had a Sony KV-27FS100 manufactured in Sept 2002 for awhile, and it's been great. I recently was given a Sony KV-27FS120 manufactured in August 2005, and it seems a bit worse than the FS100. It's a bit softer and particularly in the lower left corner high contrast vertical lines sometimes appear to bend. I've played around with the service modes on both TVs, but it doesn't look like it can be corrected there.

It actually doesn't show up every well in the 240p test suite, I'll have to get some pics from in-game, but you can see it in the TG16 240p test suite at 512×224:

FS120, notice how the white vertical lines seem to shift to the right as they intersect with the horizontal lines:

FS100:

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

peter gabriel posted:

What are y'all playing at the moment / hot recommendations?
I am currently ploughing through Super Ghouls N Ghosts for SNES, having a blast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A727bUxNXmc

:rock:

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

If we're making retro youtube reccos may I suggest ThorHighHeels

https://www.youtube.com/user/ThorHighHeels

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6UfiVuYkUU&t=3052s

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

I didn't like Voultar just because of the weird stupid "OOoooohhhhh~~~" voice and unfunny sexual comments, but I'm watching him to figure out how to do something, not be entertained.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Miles McCloud posted:

So I ordered that "low cost" improved GBS 8200 upscaler that RetroRGB reviewed today: https://www.retrorgb.com/gbs-control-installation-overview.html

Initially I wasn't sure why anyone would ever want this, until I saw that it apparently rivals or surpasses the Framemeister on 480i content with Motion Adaptive Deinterlacing. This is really only a major factor for the PS2, where the bulk of its library maxes out at 480i and can't be forced nicely to 480p. I sold my Framemeister a few months back in favor of a much cheaper Retrotink, but that left my PS2 orphaned because the Retrotink hates 480i content, to the point of warning you that it may damage your television. I was planning on picking up the OSSC Pro depending on its cost, but it's overkill for what I need in terms of features beyond the Retrotink. For about $75 for all the parts to assemble this GBS 8200 thing, it's worth the gamble. I'll let you all know how it performs once I get it going.

uhh my Retrotink 2x Pro has worked fine with 480i content

I have a fancy LG OLED as well, and it looks and works just fine

NyetscapeNavigator fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jul 21, 2020

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

This might be a good time to bring up playing PS1 games in Open PS2 Loader. I recall at least one person in this thread mentioning they have this working.

I'm able to play all my PS2 games over the network with Open PS2 Loader, but it never sees any of my PS1 games.

I tried following the video below. I have my PS1 games in .VCD format, in the POPS folder, along with ELF and PAK file mentioned. But the PS1 menu in OPL is always empty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wip2IDq6hoo

Maybe I'll try setting it up on a USB stick to see if that works.

E: Well I made some progress. I think the issue was I had POPSTARTER.elf, instead of POPSTARTER.ELF. But now it's complaining about missing mc0:/POPSTARTER/SMBCONFIG.DAT, so I'll look that up. Hopefully I'll drop some SMB credentials in and be good to go.

NyetscapeNavigator fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jul 30, 2020

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

40-Degree Day posted:

i am a game historian now

Retro Gaming Megathread: i am a game historian now

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

I probably gave Prof Abrasive enough money via Patreon to buy a Satiator alone, but I was impatient and went with the MODE when it came out. I viewed the Patreon support as encouraging him to complete the project, rather than some sort of pre-order (treating Patreon like that only leads to tears). I don't really care about playing real discs, and I prefer having a SATA HDD over an SD card, so it worked out for me.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

drrockso20 posted:

Hard disagree on that point, one should always get something out of a financial transaction, otherwise it's essentially theft

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Pegnose Pete posted:

Regarding MODE stuff for people who have one, what's the deal with using extension cables?
Bob on RetroRGB was linking to a portable SSD (too expensive for me) and mentioned needing to keep the lid closed. I'm guessing the system won't boot into a game if the lid is ajar, right?
I'm wondering if it would be possible to run an extension cable outside of the system somehow, maybe housing a 2.5 drive separately.
Or I suppose a cheap USB extension cable could run up through the hole left by the optical drive and you could use a 512GB thumb drive? Those aren't too pricey these days and the lid would have no issues.
E: I should have said this is for the Saturn

Using an SSD with an ODE is a pointless waste of money. Get a cheap old spinney platter SATA HDD and use it with the MODE.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Pegnose Pete posted:

Yeah I wasn't planning on getting an SSD, totally pointless for this type of purpose vs. a 2.5" HDD.
USB storage isn't that expensive these days though and would be a bit easier to access with an extension cable maybe?

Are you planning on making lots of changes to what you have on the HDD over time? I just put the entire redump collection on mine. Set it and forget it. Would be nice if a MODE update let you "import" roms from the SD card to the HDD so you don't have to remove it.

NyetscapeNavigator fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Aug 20, 2020

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

I would not recommend getting anything from the Behar Bros. I bought a Kuro Plus and after a month the DC mini DIN cable that connects the Dreamcast started to literally fall apart, with the screen having a permanent yellow tint. I'm hoping they'll send me a replacement for free, but it's disappointing.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

where did the mechanical hard drive hurt you

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

katkillad2 posted:

You're all making me paranoid about using a HDD with Saturn+MODE.

This doesn't seem like a terrible price for a 512gb micro SD card, says sold by Micro Center so should be legit: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B089VXRFS4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If only I didn't throw away the box and whatnot for that HDD I just bought so I could return it :smith:

Is being afraid of physical hard drives a young person thing? I am turning 40 years old and every time I've lost data on a physical hard drive it's because I did something stupid and not because it suddenly turned into dust because it's made of moving parts. It's fine. You're fine. Physical hard drives are just fine.

You have back ups of all your data anyways, right?

Right?

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

I got HDDs in both my Saturn and Dreamcast. I'm not worried.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Crackbone posted:

Alternatively, do you really need 512GB of Saturn games? A 128G card will hold 100 games easy. How many truly good Saturn games are there and how many will you actually want to play?

I like to have a systems full catalog available if possible. It's fun to explore weird poo poo you would never look at if you had to be selective about what's on your storage. I'm bummed the PS1 XStation is SD-only.

Hell, forget local storage all together. Just put wifi on it and let me load my games directly from my NAS.

NyetscapeNavigator fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Aug 28, 2020

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Chinook posted:

Guess what 225# behemoth I got for free just last Friday? (It's a 36" [ugh] Sony Trinitron)

However, there was definitely a toll. On my back, my walls, my staircase, and a friendship.

that is clearly a picture from 2002 and you can't convince me otherwise

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

anyone else getting a Sinden Lightgun? mine should arrive tomorrow

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

falz posted:

There's somehow one video store left in my town, or was. Family Video, unsure how big this chain is.

Anyway, they posted some photos of them going out of business and selling everything remaining for $1, so I had a quick look over lunch today. All of the shelving stuff is free too. I have zero nostalgia for this particular place so didn't get anything.

I maybe would have taken the 360 sign if it weren't in a dumpster. I'd dive in that thing for a tg16 sign or something, but not for an xbox 360 sign.

can't believe cbd sales couldn't save the place

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Yeah I knew that was VS instantly. That game is crazy distinctive looking. The FFT-style gradient sky and texture work particularly in that link.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

I would love to do another run of VS. I don't know how much patience I have for the weapon switching interface though... I would love to play that game with a few quality of life improvements.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Saoshyant posted:

I don't follow Twitter people, but I do have a bookmark for SmokeMonster's Twitter to check occasionally and your post just reminded me about it. Here's some interesting stuff from there:

A translation for an obscure Saturn JRPG called Valhollian, developed by an even more obscure company called Datt Japan (cute) which only ever released this game way late in 1998.

Plus a close picture of the soldering job of a Behar Bros' product, specifically a Hanzo. At some point, I wanted to order an Akura from them, but apparently from the replies most (if not all) their products have as shoddy soldering as this:

:barf:

I bought a Kuro a few months ago and the connector cable started dropping the color after a few weeks. I emailed them asking for a free replacement cable. After lecturing me to not bend the cable ( :rolleyes: ) they shipped a replacement. Of course it's gonna take two months to get here from Turkey. I'll have to splice cable open to see if it looks like shoddy work.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

there's so much petty bullshit drama in the retro scene it's embarassing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

I have been watching my friend suffer through Blue Stinger, and man is that last boss bullshit.