Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

dishwasherlove posted:

I know Symphony of the Night is a great game but does a loose greatest hits version disc need to cost US$60? What kind of volume print run did those green label games get anyway?

I'm seeing disc only copies going for half that price on ebay if you really a physical copy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Dragon's Lair Trilogy is on sale on PS4 so I decided to get it since I've never played any of the games. I remember seeing the first game all the time in arcades when I was younger, but I wanna say I skipped it due to the price being more expensive than other games? Does anyone remember how much it cost to initially play and how much continues cost? These games are super tough and I can totally see how they were designed to be quarter suckers.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

When I was in high school the dopest thing you could have was the TI-83 calculator version of Tetris. You had to know both someone with the game and someone with the transfer cable, often those were different people, so it was a real social engineering project getting it installed but it was soooo worth it.

I bought a TI-82 off someone in 9th grade, and it already had a couple games installed. They were pretty much text-based choose your own adventure type games, with my favorite being a redneck themed adventure rpg. I remember a friend used his transfer cable to send me a game suite he had, and these were much more graphics-heavy games like a ball rolling down a hill and you had to avoid gaps by jumping, or archery and golf games. I just remember being blown away that these could be played on a calculator.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
When it comes to portable systems such as the GBA-SP and PSP, is it generally good practice to charge the batteries every so often? I've heard horror stories of people finding their systems batteries dead after not touching them for a long time, and this may possibly be due to the batteries sitting too long on a 0% charge?

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

fishmech posted:

Lithium rechargeable batteries that won't be touched for a long time should be stored in a cold (but not damp) place with charge in the range of 40%-60%. This will minimize natural decay in its capacity.

Batteries that are truly down around 5% or less are going to be actively damaged, while those left up around full charge will lose total capacity somewhat faster (but aren't really damaging the ability to ever receive charge again).

Additionally it's best practice to completely disconnect them from their matching device if it's a device that might constantly draw a little bit of power to run something like a real time clock, since that'll slowly gnaw away at the battery level in storage and end up with something that went into storage with charge being totally out and damaged by the time you pick it up again. So for PSP, you're definitely going to want to pop the battery out while the GBA SP is probably fine as is.

Thanks for the info! For future knowledge, are replaceable batteries easy to come by? This also made me think, what about all those sealed consoles/systems? If and when they're ever opened, will the batteries pretty much be shot from the get-go?

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

shyduck posted:

I was at the Too Many Games convention this weekend. Apparently they raised vendor prices significantly, so several sellers that always had really good deals just didn't come this year. Also, the vendors that did attend were less reluctant to give deals, even as the convention was winding down. It was my 5th year in a row attending and it was good, but definitely a letdown from years past.

This was my first year attending, and I showed up an hour before they closed down the vendor area. Which was a good thing because my wallet would've been hurting. It did seem like most vendor's prices were pretty much ebay prices though. Either way I walked away with a good stack of games and had a decent time.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Zand posted:

collecting for ps3 or xbox 360 era is kind of wack imo. i don't expect there to be ways to actually play the "full game" with some titles in a few years. an example is beautiful katamari for the 360, where essentially half of it is locked behind on-disc dlc. at some point, this game will not able to be actually enjoyed as a complete game because you won't be able to get the dlc. and its not like you can just download the dlc to the 360, because then you would be banking on the xbox 360 storage which sucks. as a collector, its hard for me to want to collect something like this

I'm curious what will happen when patches can't be downloaded anymore. Or will they indefinitely be accessable via online servers?

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Lemon-Lime posted:

God, I'd forgotten how loving painful N64 controllers are to hold, though.

Not my picture, but this is how I always held the controller (my hands are much smaller than those in the picture too). I thought people who held it the "normal" way were weird when I was younger.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

punk rebel ecks posted:

N64 controller is good.

Pretty sure if given the option, I'd rather play Mario 64 on any other controller that has an analog stick other than the N64's. I don't think I ever played Mario 64 DS on an actual DS, only on the 3DS. Kinda curious now to see how it feels using a d-pad to control.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

The Big Word posted:

This was me all the way through the N64's lifespan and the first time I saw the gamecube controller I thought "how the gently caress am I gonna manage with this thing"

I was pretty impressed when I first saw the claw grip people were using when playing Monster Hunter on the PSP.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
I was there last month when Shaggy 2 Dope from ICP tried to drop kick Fred Durst during the Limp Bizkit concert. That whole night was amazing!

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

falz posted:

Is there any way to play Phantasy Star IV on gba? I see there's the collection but it's just 1-3. Everdrive supports emulation but only 8 bit stuff.

Started replaying this on Genesis recently and realized it'd work better for me on a smaller mobile thing.

If you have a PSP, the Sega Genesis Collection has IV. It's how I've been playing it.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

falz posted:

Bummer, I don't have a psp and would prefer to not get one as I don't frequently use handhelds. Also, and I've said in this thread before- their toy story rendering lies killed the Dreamcast.

I realize that this is not rational but I'm sticking with it.

If you've got a Switch, the Genesis collection is coming to that as well and it also has IV.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
I wish I was good at Castlevania games so I could at least unlock Rondo of Blood and SotN in Dracula X Chronicles on the PSP. Never played Rondo, I'd like to see what it's all about. Couldn't get very far in SotN on PS1, but it was fun what little I was able to do.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Mooseontheloose posted:

Does anyone have a good place to find what retro games are selling for?

https://www.pricecharting.com

or just look on ebay

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
All this talk about various Castlevania games I've never played, some I've never even heard of, makes me wish Konami would release some sort of collection on modern consoles.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
I've never played the GBA games, and looking on ebay is pretty much a gamble between repro and authentic (even if you pay the going price for an authentic copy it's still a gamble). Honestly kind of tempted to get the GBA Double Pack repro for $10 just to check them out.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

mariooncrack posted:

That's a big reason I bought a GBA everdrive. Never have to worry if games are authentic or not. It looks like they're still on sale for the time being.

Edit: nevermind, found it

BisterdDave fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Nov 27, 2018

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Why are everdrives so expensive? Are they difficult to manufacture?

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Overbite posted:

I’ve been wanting to sell my gba collection for a while but held off for this reason. I dunno how to get it across that all my games are legit.

Put it up on SA-Mart, I'd be interested to see what you have for sale.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Pablo Nergigante posted:

It took me until this year to really get into SotN but once I did I was completely hooked and now I think it's one of the best games I've ever played. It's a bit of a different beast from Metroid (which I'm also a big fan of)

What was it that got you back into the game? Any tips or tricks that helped you enjoy the game more? Last I tried playing was a few years ago and just could not make it past the Slogra and Gaibon fight. I tried so many times too.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Phantasium posted:

I have never even considered they could be an obstacle, unless you're fighting them in the room where Death first appears.

Goes to show how much I stink at CV games.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
I always enjoyed the Christmas decorations in WoW around the holidays. Logging in Christmas morning and waving hi to everyone at Ironforge.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Star Man posted:

Now the $64,000 question: how old does something have to be in order for it to no longer be considered retro but instead be considered an antique?

When your grandparents remember using it.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Random Stranger posted:

We're about ten years out from antique Ataris.

Atari 5200 was my first console I remember playing, and I consider it antique. I'm close to considering NES antique, but anything pre-NES is antique to me.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

falz posted:

I've literally never heard of anyone else mention it, but Transworld Snowboarding on original recipe Xbox is the best snowboarding game I've ever played. I tried a few ssx and the Microsoft ones but they were crap in comparison.

How have I never heard of this one before?!? Just pulled it up on YT and it looks like Tony Hawk in the snow, definitely gonna check it out.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
I've been watching Hi Score Girl on Netflix and I just got to the episode where they address the Neo Geo CD's loading times. I remember hearing they were bad, but good god. From a technical standpoint, why was the system so bad at loading?

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Caitlin posted:

look at this scorchingly hot take and how bad it is

:colbert:

e : also I strongly recommend anyone who enjoyed the show read the manga, there's a lot more of it than where the show leaves off.

Where can I find the manga? Is it available in english?

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Zarikov posted:

I'm playing through SEGA Ages: Phantasy Star and I'm really loving it. I have tried to start this game a few times and stopped early from frustration, but the quality of life improvements makes it very playable.

Is there a similar way to play Phantasy Stars 2-4? I saw there was a Saturn release, but I don't have a clue where to look for an english version I could burn and play. I know there's a PS2 version, but that's not an option for me. Anyone have a suggestion?

There's the Sega Genesis collections on PSP and PS3 which have Phantasy Star 2-4 on them along with some other fun Genesis games. Avoid the current gen Sega Genesis Classics collection though, I bought the Switch version last week and the input lag is so bad that almost half the games are barely playable.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
https://youtu.be/sC0cvwnG0Ik

I'm starting to think this is possibly fake or some kind of error causing this mess.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

FilthyImp posted:

Goddammit why can't old nerdmen be not poo poo about things.

Any reason as to why he's leaving? Kind of weird. Maybe he got sick of having to talk games all the time.

He's primarily leaving in order to spend more time with his family, which is understandable. Interested to see how the show pans out with Joe only.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i've given thoughts on occasion to trying out the youtube review gig and doing 2600 reviews as someone who is much younger than the 2600 (snes was my first system), or really just the pre-nes era in general through the eyes of someone who wasn't around back then. it's a perspective that i haven't really seen represented much/at all, and i already have a whole bunch of systems and games from back then including most of the true classics everyone talks about.

Although my first console was a 5200, I've never really felt much attraction to anything pre-NES. Your idea sounds really neat though and I'd definitely give it a watch.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
I've just recently started contemplating installing GDEMU in my Dreamcast, but I'm curious as to the future of collecting Dreamcast games. As console disc drives continue to die, will there eventually be a desire to manufacture new Gd-roms in order to play the actual discs? Are Dreamcast drives failing quicker than other disc reading consoles?

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Vikar Jerome posted:

that jingle at the end, was that monkey island?

https://twitter.com/LucasfilmGames/status/1138195587982090240?s=19

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
I've never played TG-16 games before, so I'd love to get my hands on this mini console to finally play through some of it's library.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
I'm thinking about disabling the lockout chip on my front-loading NES since I'm starting to build up a small pile of unlicensed cartridges that I can't play. Any tips other than snip the correct pin and bend it back? Don't think I'll be able to take the entire chip out and resolder it back in, not that skilled with soldering.

Caitlin posted:

I have a Turbo Duo, a Turbo Express, a TurboGrafx-16 and a Retro Freak. The only way I'm actually buying this is if the lineup doesn't suck. :shrug:

This is the first time I've hearing about Retro Freak. It looks really neat, but is it mostly designed to be used with a PC? I'm thinking about getting an all-in-one console, but every time a new one comes out they seem to get negative reviews for one reason or another.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Caitlin posted:

How did you get the impression that it's meant to be used with a PC? It's a clone console with HDMI :confused:

No PC, got it, thanks! Would you recommend it compared to other clone consoles out there?

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Hoobastank4ever97 posted:

I know this is two days old but no one replied so if you're still looking for answers the answer is "side snips". I never had them until I went to do this mod and it made it incredibly easy and I've used that tool for a thousand other things since then. You can get them for like $4 on ebay. Here's a pair:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F361759272446

As a matter of fact today only there is an ebay coupon code for $3 off anything $3.01 and above so they're almost free. Use code PROMO3 at checkout :toot:

Great, thanks for the tip! I actually might have some snips laying around in my tool cabinet.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Just played Sega Rally Championship on the Saturn for the first time, such a fun game! My favorite part? "Game over yeeaahhh!" Was not expecting that haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

:perfect:

This is the gif that made me pull the trigger on buying a copy. Makes me wish it was on the Switch after getting it confused with Virtua Racing.