Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

TVs Ian posted:

Analogue is coming out with a modern SNES.

I've got a devil on my shoulder trying to convince me to buy one of these + an SD2SNES to go with my real cartridges.

You won't need an SD2SNES if it's anything like the NT Mini.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's either a cheap emulation box for the internals, and/or Nintendo is going to sue them into oblivion :eyepop:.

It's proper FPGA simulated hardware. They're not using any Nintendo trademarks and their patent is expired I believe so not sure what grounds they'd have.

univbee posted:

Pre-ordering those requires the money up-front, right?

EDIT whoa, they claim the SGB will work with it.

It's a straight up recreation of the underlying logic on the SNES circuitry. Anything that worked on the SNES should work on it. Kevtris does amazing work.

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

The Milkman posted:

I wonder if it could dump battery saves to the SD, that + transparent plastic option would put me over the top. Is it silly to wish it had 4k output? Actually I guess 720p would work fine, it still divides evenly.

The NT Mini jailbreak included a rom/save dumper.

I love my NT Mini and this honestly seems like a better designed product in every way.

Analogue isn't saying that they told Kevtris not to jailbreak this one and it should be reasonably easy for him to port his 8-bit cores to this.

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

Pegnose Pete posted:

What is the most you guys would pay for a 20" PVM/BVM these days?
I know the going prices where I live but I had an acquaintance recently picked up a 14M4, not quite as new as the L series but at least made in the early 2000s if I remember correctly, and it burnt out after just a few days of use.
I live in a really remote part of Japan and have had no luck finding anything locally so if I decide to pick up a PVM it would be on auction. Really don't feel good about paying something like, 300-400$ for something a monitor that will likely have no guarantee and no way of really repairing it locally.
I do have a Japanese Trinitron with RGB inputs and it works fine so the logical part of my brain says stick with this.

Stick with that. The gain in quality on a PVM most likely isn't that pronounced and the risks and costs that come with shipping a CRT when you have one that does the same stuff aren't worth it imo.

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

GutBomb posted:

I have a cheapo right now, but I've only got one RGB source right now (a pi2scart) and the converter I have doesn't carry audio. I'm planning on getting a saturn soon with a scart cable and also planning on rgb modding my pce duo r and nes, and a scart cable for my psx so I need something that passes audio. I'll also need a scart switch with 4 inputs...

:retrogames:

You can modify the generic ones to have audio output if you're comfortable doing some very rudimentary soldering.

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

Minidust posted:

Cool! Appreciate the info and seller recommendations. So it's a lot like buying a ProClip phone mount, where you buy a car-specific mount and then phone-specific holders... I'll prob get a PS2 cable as well since that looks to be the other console I own that requires no modification. Get my RGB feet wet before I start paging Monitorburn.

Also are there any negatives to those SCART cables that have a pair of RCA audio jacks broken out? My PVM only does mono so I assume that's my only way to get stereo output to whatever audio setup I end up using.

The SCART to BNC adapters will have RCA audio jacks you can connect to your audio solution.

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

I was playing that last week before I got Starfy in the mail. I love Picross for being so relaxing...

Lately, I've been thinking about collecting Game Boy puzzle games just because they're usually good for a few minutes of chilling. Plus there's got to be some fun overlooked gems buried in there. I remember hearing that Harmony was pretty good when it was a PC game but I never got around to playing it. Maybe I'll give the GB version a try.

Catrap

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

Nate RFB posted:

When it comes to Gamecube/PS2 era gaming, my sacrilegious opinion is that I feel more than OK with emulating them if only because 3D games can be improved in ways that actually make them far more aesthetically pleasing by upping the internal resolutions and/or applying various hacks that are only possible via something like Dolphin.

I can definitely understand that but I think 6th gen consoles over RGB or Component into a nice CRT look amazing. They definitely don't scale very well and interlaced video looks bad on progressive displays but they look great on the displays they were designed for.

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

lets hang out posted:

I'm playing Elevator Action Returns and it's incredible but I was looking up videos of it and I saw in some of them a thing where if you shoot out lights or power boxes you can cause blackouts? Is that only in the Saturn port, or maybe some specific version of the arcade game?

Pretty sure you can do that in the original if you shoot a light.

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

repiv posted:

Heads up, 8bitdo have discontinued their faithful Bluetooth SNES pad clones in favor of bastardized models with analogue sticks tacked on.

The old models still have plenty of stock for now, but now's the time to buy if anyone was considering one.

They have discontinued them but they're being replaced by the new models designed with Analogue (the hardware company). The analog stick ones are a totally separate product.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075WRZ6JB

d0s posted:

chrono cross is nothing like chrono trigger and you shouldn't let it inform your decision about playing CT in any way. but yeah emulate it or play it on a flash cart or whatever, it's probably like a million dollars now

I don't really like Chrono Cross at all and Chrono Trigger is one of my all time favorite game, definitely listen to d0s and play it.

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

I keep my PVM on this. It's a little low for my taste but it's sturdy and I can keep some stuff on either side. I keep my consoles on a cheap shelving unit next to it.

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

Minidust posted:

So how often does https://retro-access.com/ actually restock? I've seen it recommended here for cables, but they've had that "Stock is temporarily reduced to zero" message on the front page ever since the first time I've looked at it. Also I noticed that, of the usual recommended sites, Retro Gaming Cables appears to be the only one with this type of SCART > BNC cable. So if I'm stuck having to do a UK import, I might just get everything from RGC anyway. Any random eBay sellers good for the PVM cable?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Female-RGB...QQAAMXQAEFSD-4B

I have this cable which came highly recommended and I've had no issues.

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Good to know.

I imagine the same hardware availability / market focus thing applies for why they don't mention compatibility with the TG16, since its presence in Europe was about as substantial and lasting as a mouse fart in a hurricane. So it wouldn't surprise me if the TG16/PCE community over there is mainly about Japanese hardware and software imports, which is why it seems to be their explicit target market.

The TG16 was released as the TG16 in France for a little bit but the vast majority of the European market just got imported and cheaply PAL-modded PCEs and Japanese games.

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

Nate RFB posted:

The "point" of a FPGA-like solution in something like the Super NT is that they are attempting to program a FPGA to essentially replicate the original hardware's processors/ICs, correct? And as such is not exactly the same as emulation?

Yeah.

The basic difference is that an emulator is designed to take an instruction or set of instructions and output what the original hardware would have output, replicating the outcome. There are different philosophies about how to do this but that's the end goal of an emulator. An FPGA-based clone is an attempt to use programmable hardware to make an, ideally, identical logic structure to the original hardware, replicating the process the original hardware goes through once it has received an instruction.

If the FPGA code is written well enough and the process is recreated closely enough there is no difference between the recreated hardware and the original hardware. Producing the dream scenario of no input lag, no slowdown, and no (new) bugs. A sufficiently good emulator can do all of these things as well but it takes a lot of processing power to run a cycle accurate emulator without also introducing some sort of lag.

Pokemon OH SNAP! fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jan 25, 2018

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

Elliotw2 posted:

His videos and a few others I've seen on retrobriteing have made me wonder recently if the tide's going to turn on it at some point and people will start at least tolerating yellow consoles. It looks awfully finicky and potentially permanently damaging for me to ever bother doing it for sure.

As far as I'm aware retrobrighted plastic just yellows again except significantly faster. Yellowing is just a thing that happens to plastic of that time period and putting a bunch of effort to try to postpone the inevitable yellowing isn't worth it.

In some cases like the Apple 2es that were in all my elementary school classrooms in the early 90s were already turning yellow then. Eventually people will either get over it or make modern replacement cases in the original color that won't yellow.

Pokemon OH SNAP! fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jan 26, 2018

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

d0s posted:

this is a derail but is there any information on if/when new 10 series cards will become available to normal people again? I'm getting really sick of my GTX 550ti. I was planning on getting a 1080 and then they all disappeared from newegg. are people who play games basically forever condemned to buy used cards that have been mining internet money 24/7 for months at huge markups ?

If you live near a microcenter they'll negotiate graphics cards prices with you. If you're buying parts to build or substantially upgrade your existing system or depending on the manager just buy one and promise it's for gaming they'll adjust the price down to around MSRP.

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

falz posted:

Score related, earlier this week I got this saturn bundle for $100 on Craigslist.

https://imgur.com/a/o6BXP

It was from a recently retired couple- The guy is still a gamer, has a PS4 and 360.

Panzer Dragoon Saga still has it's original receipt from WaldenSoft with his name and his same phone number on it. Most of the games have torn out magazine pages or sections with tips and tricks. Kinda awesome picturing this now 65+ yo dude doing that.

So, there are still some scores to be found if you're super lucky (I was the first to reply to the ad and he didn't list the big hitters in it)

Jesus, good find

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

Only Shallow posted:

The US logo is pretty cool but the JP one does edge it out imo. One thing I’ve been meaning to do is burn a region free BIOS chip for mine and if I do that I’d just get it with the JP boot animation anyway. That will make it no longer necessary to patch games to the console region to boot with the modchip.

If you set up a pseudo Saturn cartridge you don't need to region patch anything.

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

falz posted:

That must be relatively new to the everdrive. Anyone know when it was added?

A few months a go. It doesn't rely on any hardware changes AFAIK so if you have a Mega Everdrive or an X7 I believe you can just update the OS.

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

Code Jockey posted:

Thanks! It is!

... except I can't get component video to work for the life of me. Composite is fine, component just shows a pure green screen, split in half vertically.

I am connecting my raspberry pi to a cheap amazon HDMI to component box, and then connecting that box to the back of the monitor. Here is what the connections on the back of the monitor look like:

This is the RGB/component bank, the one below it with CH A and CH B are composite input.

I can't for the life of me figure out why the colors are wrong. Sync on green appears to work since the image is stable. It's like it just won't recognize the other color inputs. I tried red and blue in R/Y and B/B-Y, neither worked. If I removed green from the G/R-Y, I would lose sync.

I imagine the "screen spit vertically" thing is an issue with the pi's video settings?

The vertical split looks like what happens if I try to output a 480p signal to my 480i PVM. I'd imagine the raspberry pi or the converter are outputting 480p.

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

African AIDS cum posted:

Just bought a Neo Geo Pocket Color

Anyone have this flash cart for it? http://www.retrohq.co.uk/neogeo-pocket-sd-flash-shipping-next-week

It has a waiting list of 900 people to get one. Is there another one I'm not aware of?

I have this one.: https://www.flashmasta.com/product/neo-pocket-flash-masta-usb-32mbit/

It works great but you can only put one or two games on it at a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

univbee posted:

If you must play Duck Hunt (and only Duck Hunt) on a modern TV with authentic hardware, no matter the cost, this Kickstarter is for you.

https://twitter.com/oleivarrudi/status/1012659658656505863?s=21

Reading about how it works it seems like the zapper mod makes the zapper not work on CRTs anymore so you really need to want to play that one game on an LCD to the exclusion of doing else with that zapper.