Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I cleaned my office this weekend (finally) and I'm gonna set up the Dazzle again... maybe I will get that PVM. Please join me in our journey of whether or not I will spend way too much money on dumb bullshit.

Also, anyone has a recommendation for a SCART splitter? HDMI capture card? If I pick up that PVM, I'll use my RGB SNES and send one end to the BNC adapters and the other through an XRGB Mini.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Casimir Radon posted:

When did repro cartridges go and become a thing? They're all over Ebay now.

A long while.

I bought a JP copy of Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario 3 off of eBay in high school and it was extremely obvious that it was a knock off.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Quick q I thought of on the way home: I know that GC component cables are $texas, but what about component cables out of a Wii?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

GutBomb posted:

I want to build my own 8 input SCART switch because I don't feel like paying $180 for one that I don't need all the features of. I have found sources for all of the parts except the scart connectors themselves. Being in the US makes them a bit difficult to source. Does anyone here have any ideas of where to get them, or maybe a reason not to build one that I'm not thinking of?

Digikey? I can't remember the other 2 big electronic catalog places.

E: mouser has it. 806-K-SCARTX-024, $2.50/ea

Phone fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Dec 11, 2017

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

the gscartw and gcompsw are now available for a limited time http://www.gretrostuff.com/store/

It looks like I missed out, but is that gscartsw compatible with JP21 or only Euro?

e: I take it that I only need a mini-DIN -> EuroSCART cable for the xrgb mini to have better compatibility with things like the gscartsw_lite?

Phone fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jan 4, 2018

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Caitlin posted:

"people ironically being into lovely games" is hardly exclusive to Japan what are you crazy people even talking about

see also : AVGN as a whole, Awful Games Done Quick block

Lots of people play dota2

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

LuiCypher posted:

I had a friend when I studied abroad who was into Neo-Geo retrogaming and he had a lot of success in Nagoya. I can't tell you any store names since it's been 7 years, but a quick Googling reveals that the neighborhood name is Osu, specifically in the area around Akamon.

If you're in the Kyoto area, getting out to Nagoya shouldn't take you more than 3 hours if you're using local rail and less than an hour if you want to spend a little extra on getting a faster train.

yeah there's a super potato in osu kannon

there's another game shop around the corner, but i can't remember the name

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Speaking of nice things,

quote:

[The next batch orders will be opened on February 26, 10:00AM EST]

gscartsw lites are going up tomorrow.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Shibawanko posted:

Most older Japanese companies are so disconnected from what people want nowadays. Pricing the SoM remake at E40,- was probably a decision made by some old man somewhere who lives in his own little reality and thinks people will still pay 90's cartridge prices for digital games and lovely remakes. The A-Train game on Steam is similarly ridiculously overpriced at something like E55,-

It always amazes me how Nintendo still gets by relatively well despite all of their dumb decisions.

Don't look at actual new Japanese game prices, you might have a case of the vapors.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

wa27 posted:

they're so low you'll want to be turning Japanese?

6000 yen 3DS games, 8500 yen PS4 games, etc etc.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I missed out on an OEV-202/20M2MDU back in fall that was local to me (RTP, NC), and I'm wondering where I should be browsing for PVMs. Craigslist is a complete nonstarter here, and ebay has gotten pretty sparse lately (and all of the listings are in California).

Where else should I be searching?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

d0s posted:

PVMs may be hard to get but stuff like consumer Trinitrons are still super easy to find for almost nothing. As someone who used a consumer 27" trinitron Wega for a very long time (since 1998) before moving to a PVM (a couple years ago), the difference is real but honestly not huge. Not everyone likes the way old games look upscaled to HD, and I think a lot of people would be fine with even s-video on a decent consumer CRT, which in my opinion looks better than the upscaled stuff, which just looks like emulation to me.

e: What I'm trying to say is, I would be sooner to recommend a good consumer CRT to a new person unsuccessfully trying to find a PVM, because they're obviously looking for that CRT look. for a new person who just wants the "best" picture possible, yes of course I would tell then to go with whatever HDMI solution over a PVM which is kind of a niche inside a niche. but if someone is specifically looking for a CRT they're probably going to be disappointed with how the upscaled games look, which is really very different.

I have a 14" Toshiba and a 24" Sony KV-24FS120, but I need the absolute best at any cost. If I can snag a 20" PVM for a few hundred, that's cool, but I totally get the online forums bench racing of having "the ultimate setup" versus just playing games.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Kthulhu5000 posted:

If you're set on getting a PVM, then your best bet might be to look around in the medical imaging surplus market or see if any distributors of such are in your area. Think way outside the box!

For example:

https://www.dotmed.com/listing/display-monitor/sony/pvm-20m2mdu/1886811

The first one I seriously considered picking up for a day or two was an MDU and colonoscopy cart for $350 or so. The cart was really nice, too.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Is there a decent switcher/amp for S-video? I have a working solution that's totally fine for what it is, but it's passive and is probably like 10 feet worth of cables. I just split the S video and audio from the cables using 1-to-2 splitters and put 1 half into the TV and the other into the Dazzle.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Konami wai wai racers

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Bonobos posted:

I have the option of buying a 20m2u PVM for $200 versus a 20m4u PVM for $400. I already have a framemeister so I don’t really NEED a PVM, but with how these things have been going up in price I figure it would be cool to have one. Which would you guys recommend, especially since one costs like double the other? Would the extra lines benefit retro games? I believe it 600 vs 800, so I assume the tube is better on the more expensive model plus it’s easier to calibrate according to google. Both seem a lot higher than I remember a few years back but are in line with what they go for in my area.

Where are you located? I kind of want to get on the pvm train.

e: other side of the country, rip me

Phone fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Mar 31, 2018

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
There are a handful of 20M2MDUs from what I can see on the east side of the US, they all start at least $400.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
There's a semi beat up (but 2004 build date) OEV203 for $300 about an hour away. :negative:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Finally got the courage to pull out the TV. Time to set this bullshit back up.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Is retrocablesuk the best bet for SCART to BNC? I think I'll probably need L/R channels being split out...

I might be aboard the PVM train soon...

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Some people, I don't wanna spend too much time talking to.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
the #protectevelyn movement starts here

(I also just skimmed through the AV Club post from 10 years ago, and it's :hmmyes: poo poo https://film.avclub.com/the-king-of-kong-continued-donkey-kong-champ-billy-mi-1798213302 )

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I rewatched it during a nitecrew movie night a few months back and the movie totally holds up; it was before this wave of drama, too.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
lol bookoff dreamcast, more like hardoff dreamcast

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Shibawanko posted:

Ironically during my breaks I usually went to bookoff to see if there were any dreamcasts on sale.

laff

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Uh oh..

Oh no...

https://i.imgur.com/hlHwxRb.mp4

Not like this...

Question time!

I'm only keeping one of these, and you can see from the gif that the left screen is noticeably brighter than the right one. The build date on the left one is July 1998 and the right one is April 2002 (I think, the years are right at least), even with the brightness cranked down, the left one is still pretty bright and washed out a little bit compared to the right one. Other info: the source is an original SNES with S-video; and I did move around the direct input to see if it was maybe the pass through making the difference.

Which one would you keep? I'm delivering one of these to a coworker tomorrow.

Phone fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Apr 19, 2018

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

d0s posted:

I would go into the serivce menu and reset both to factory defaults then compare em. if one is still washed out I would keep the non washed out one. the fact that the non washed out one is also 4 years newer makes it a no brainer imo

I poked around in the service menu and didn't see the sub-brightness to be cranked to something incredibly high. Also, when there's black on the screen (like in the Super Metroid attract screen) the left one has a bit of a green tint whereas the right one is black black black black.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Monitor Burn posted:

When you switched around the direct input, did you also unplug the S-video output port on the PVM?. For some reason having anything connected to the output ports on my 20M2 jacks up the brightness on the screen, even if the cable isn't connected to anything on the other end.

I only had one cable going between the two, so I switched in/out for the relay; however, I just tested it without daisy chaining it and plugged in/out the cable, and it totally jacks up the brightness by a significant amount on the 1998 one.

e: the right one does it too, but only when the output isn't being terminated

Phone fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Apr 19, 2018

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I played an SFC recently that had a bunch of video noise and jitter (especially on screen transitions) until it had been on for ~5 minutes, which screams a suboptimal cap or two somewhere.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Phone posted:

I only had one cable going between the two, so I switched in/out for the relay; however, I just tested it without daisy chaining it and plugged in/out the cable, and it totally jacks up the brightness by a significant amount on the 1998 one.

e: the right one does it too, but only when the output isn't being terminated

Alright, final update on this because I guess I need to make a decision after I wake up, haha.

I turned the sub brightness all the way down on the 98 and got it to look pretty good, and the knob on the front has a fair amount of range, but never gets incredibly dark/muddy when the knob is turned all the way down. The 02 at the same sub brightness is pretty dark throughout the entire range, with it going "dark, dark, dark, dark, blown out" in the last 10% of the the knob's range.

1998 model pros/cons:
+ Might have fewer hours on it due to how bright it seems to be
+ Chassis is slightly cleaner
+ The ceramic hooks are in tact
- 1998 build date
- Might actually have a ton of hours on it
- Had to clean up some sticker residue on the glass itself

2002 model pros/cons:
+ Looked sharper out of the box
+ 2002 build date
+ Clean (?) tube
- Not nearly as bright as the 1998
- Broken ceramic hooks on the front
- Slightly more marked up chassis that needs cleaning

I'm leaning towards the 2002 if only because it's 4 years newer and gave a better first impression.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

zoast just had a dream about getting a pb

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Island Nation posted:

It’s the SA-1 which is in SMRPG and Krikzz doesn’t make either the SD2SNES (he only sells it) or the Super FX support (that’s Redeye on his forum) so I wouldn’t wait.

Here's the list of SA-1 games:
Asahi Shinbun Rensai: Katou Ichi-Ni-San Shougi: Shingiryuu
Daisenryaku Expert WWII: War in Europe
Derby Jockey 2
Dragon Ball Z: Hyper Dimension
Habu Meijin no Omoshiro Shōgi
Hayashi Kaihou Kudan no Igo Oodou
Itoi Shigesato no Bass Tsuri No. 1
J.League '96 Dream Stadium
Jikkyou Oshaberi Parodius
Jumpin' Derby
Kakinoki Shogi
Kirby Super Star NA JPKirby's Fun Pak EU
Kirby's Dream Land 3
Marvelous: Mouhitotsu no Takarajima
Masters New: Haruka Naru Augusta 3
Super Robot Taisen Gaiden: Masō Kishin - The Lord Of Elemental
Mini 4WD Shining Scorpion Let's & Go!!
Pebble Beach no Hotou: New Tournament Edition
PGA European Tour
PGA Tour 96
Power Rangers Zeo: Battle Racers
Pro Kishi Jinsei Simulation: Shōgi no Hanamichi
Saikousoku Shikou Shougi Mahjong
SD F-1 Grand Prix
SD Gundam G NEXT
Shin Shogi Club
Shogi Saikyou
Shogi Saikyou 2
Super Bomberman Panic Bomber World
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
Super Shougi 3: Kitaihei
Taikyoku Igo: Idaten
Takemiya Masaki Kudan no Igo Taishou

SMRPG + Kirby Super Star are the obvious breakouts.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I'm driving myself crazy trying to figure out if the 15khz sound I'm hearing is real or not.

Anyways, finally got around to cleaning up the rest of the chassis and plugged a few things together (was kind of surprised that the SCART to BNC cable was male, but then again, it's very explicit in the item description), turned on external sync, and :toot:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Avian Pneumonia posted:

yeah and no starfox or other games that require fx chip, correct?

SA1 is the big incompatibility hole (Kirby Super Star, Itoi's Bass Fishing, Super Mario RPG, etc).

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I feel like I need a spreadsheet of all of the connectors and wires I have with their various genders. :negative:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
3D printing is pretty well developed at this point; it's just that half of the poo poo is locked behind patents and licensing since garbage like "printing in a heated chamber" requires a $50k licensing fee or you can buy their entry level model for $250k.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
just buy some 70 or 90% isopropyl, a few toothbrushes/denture brushes, a box of q tips, and a few microfiber towels

vOv

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I thought a common setup was stuff into a scart switcher and have the output be BNC?

My setup (that i haven't fully tested) is SNES -> gscartsw -> PVM (and Framemeister)

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Mmhmmm, mhmmm

Can someone explain?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oP-prUpPQaQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Not having to deal with the Dazzle + AmarecTV is nice.