Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Kazvall posted:

Hey, I had a booth this year at Retro World Expo, and I'm just curious if I accidentally met some goons. We are RetroGamingArts.

I was there on Sunday mostly sleep deprived and fighting off the rear end end of a cold. What were y'all selling? I bsed a bit with the lovely couple who have that Fire Tower board game, a bit with the cool folks who had those kickass shadow boxes, and one of the regular sellers who I got Saturn Bomberman for a fair price. A friend of a friend was the artist dude at Badgerlord Studios. My friend being the fellow with the U.K. accent. I had my extremely damaged driving glasses on most of the time as I was so zonked out I wasn't seeing properly.

If I was more awake I probably would have enjoyed it more. Also it seemed like all the really interesting stuff was on Saturday. I was working and going Sunday meant it was cheaper.

I did get to play Mr Do and Crazy Climber arcade cabinets for the very first time. Mr Do is good but I've only played a little on the Colecovision at a previous Rwx. Crazy Climber is kinda poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Silhouette posted:

But he didn't post a picture of a Wico Command Control :confused:

Epyx 500xj bitch! My current model is even Sega Master System compatible so I have excellent tactile control and turbo features for SMS games as well as my Atari 800 games. Sometimes you want clicky. Like all the times forever for everything.

Sadly the controller isn't as good for computer games with keyboard control because everyone was cheap and used single fire button db9 ports. Except all the ones that didn't but those systems mostly died. (Colecovision, Intellivision, and then the SMS and Genesis. All multi fire button db9 controllers. Though the Inty and CV are terrible to use because their ergonomics were shiiiiiiiiiitttttttt. Machines that just prove emulation is normally the best choice. Remap some poo poo and use your modern controller that's got all the buttons and 20x more comfy to use! Unless you simply must have your overlays. Also see PC Engine. Have fun getting both the 3 and 6 action button pads for any not rough price!)

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Silhouette posted:

There are plenty of fun VCS games, you just have to remember that they're from the era of score attacks and not level progression or story-based games.

Also, pretty much everything that Activision and Imagic released are gold.

This is true. Though most early 80s Activision games are even better on the Atari 800 family. But Imagic rocked some goddamn heat on the Intellivision if you can stand that game pad mark 1. (Get the PC Intellivision Lives and Rocks collections and use a good controller instead.)

Hero however both looks and plays best on the Colecovision where the second fire button works the Dynamite.

Get the instructions for Dreadnought Factor and be amazed at the Atari 8 bits best vertical SHMUP. (The Inty does it but horizontal.)

But it's all what one wants to play. Most pre crash systems are arcade type score attack titles you play for a half hour or so till you hit your fill or current skill cap in the game then go on to another one. They aren't 8-20 hour epics you sink your brainmeats into then maybe play again in 5 years when you forget enough of it it replay or want to ego boost by doing weird poo poo like speedruns or playing PS1 Resident Evil knife only.

(I love Until Dawn and the Telltale Walking Deads but they are one and done, especially since replays tend to show you how little game is in there. The old Fighting Fantasy books had more meaningful gameplay. Much shittier stories though.)

I enjoy pre crash and post crash and up till nowish games but every era has some good and bad. I'd say in general the 2600 has as much of both as modern AAA games do. Unless you like micro transactions, pointless online play, loot crates, and being called every slur in the book plus sexual harassment if you are a woman...

That said, I am not a huge 2600 guy even if it's my first system. My main retro rig is the Atari 8 bit computers which I have no nostalgia for since I first played one in 2011. It does a solid job of scratching pre crash and 80s microcomputer itches while not precisely fitting into either. I'm good with playing nearly any system though. I want more fun or interesting games. Brand loyalty is loving stupid.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Question for Colecovision owners: can you point me in the right direction for what controllers you would recommend for shooter use? I’m thinking the stock numpad controller would wreck my day in trying to set the record in Gyruss (like the 5200 almost did, until I apparently cleaned the contacts just so and got a rate of fire out of a button I could work with) and am looking for alternatives if anyone has personal recommendations.

https://edladdin.com/Arcade-Controllers_c2.htm Have fun. Enjoy wasting lots of money though. I'm hoping he makes one for the Intellivision as at least my hilariously uggo Sears variant has the most uncomfortable buttons ever.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
To say Japan was king is dumb. Because Athena exists and it's an rear end in a top hat arcade game that somehow had popularity in spite of being a douchebag. Not GIT GUD like Robotron 2084. It's just an rear end in a top hat like Wizardry 4 or NES Spelunker. (Actually Spelunker NES is more fair than arcade Athena.) Also see Tower of Druaga which is an arcade game version of a text adventure with bad Moon logic puzzles no normal person is gonna figure out especially on a couple quarters/100 yen pieces.

Retro Replay made a point of this with Ghosts n Goblins yesterday. Troy Baker put it in terms of being a kid and either getting a dollar while mom is shopping or maybe even earning a few bucks mowing lawns n poo poo. You put it in GnG. You get like a minute or two before GAME OVER.

Now add in most arcades setting difficulty to max on titles that during the mid 80-90s were already pulling lots of unfair quarter munching crap on you and well? There is a reason the Golden Age is considered to be the same as Pre Crash I think. (And the total non game Dragons Lair was more or less Patient Zero in arcade games getting greedy and giving you the shortest time possible with no real GIT GUD outside of memorizing it. Lots of brawlers got rid of even that chance. Try beating most of them on one play even on default.)

But basically there are good and bad games from every game making region in every era. And while it's fine to have a preference don't be a loving weeb/Europhile/MURRICA type about it.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Kazvall posted:

Anyone go to RWX this year?

Seems like it was just me for a few hours today at least. Nobody on the Discord seems to have gone. Was nice to get to say hi to ya for a minute tho.

I spent about half max what I was willing to drop, but some of the stuff I might have been more likely to get I didn't see till I was all done. (And I wasn't gonna drop 120 on even a fantastic condition Colecovision, much less after I hit my overall soft limit.) Filled a few minor gaps in my collection, but a few other titles I passed on either price or condition. As usual not a whole lot of computer stuff at all. Or everyone bought it on Saturday. It does look like I now only need a single Goonies game to own all of them. Course the last one is on my beloved Atari 8 bit computers. And is apparently expensive. And has a very good modern computer remake. Yeah. My Macross and Transformers hunt will never be completed.

This was fine as I needed some power tools to do yard work. So I was a good responsible nerd. One who now owns a CHAINSAW ON A STICK. (That cost about as much as the 85 or so everything above did.)

And with a little effort and help from a non goon channel I can now legit play SRW A in English wherever I want on my old rear end Mk1 PSP.

Not counting the PC Engine CD Macross games I think I have a fair collection of these goofy rear end Giant Robot games with a connection to Gundam, Macross, and SRW in general.
I may be one of the few people dumb enough to have a fair amount of physical copies of actually translated SRW games...

Captain Rufus fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Sep 10, 2018

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
So I have been organizing and theme blogging my game collection slowly over the last few years which inevitably leads to me buying more stuff as I research and fill holes or take a little peek on ebay.

http://wargamedork.blogspot.com/2019/01/operation-game-collectionlets-play.html I have discovered I have a loving metric shitload of computer games ported to consoles. Like a drat lot. Which I guess is good for getting usually cheap and more reliable copies of a lot of games? (Mule is practically an Earthbound on the Atari 800 as is Spelunker. Though the A800 Spelunker is a legit good game with worse graphics but it doesn't have a Working Designs level of mechanics fuckup the infamous NES version has.)

(Probably ignore the possible lp comments. It's not likely to happen unless I find my Power Dolls manual which seems to be eluding me in spite of my checking nearly every logical and illogical place in my house for the little bastard. I've found other poo poo trying to find it though. It's part of why I do these organizations. To try to put all my dumb rear end poo poo in one place so I can find it. But then I spend hours looking for that one stupid thing I absentmindedly misplaced. And might not find for years later in a completely unexpected location. It has happened. )

Might as well share another semi recent theme collection post too: http://wargamedork.blogspot.com/2018/09/operation-game-collection-star-wars.html

I have a lot of dumb theme collections and I know I'm not the only one. The problem is when you learn you have a theme or enough of a thing to try to go for the whole set and then you realize you might end up spending 50-100 dollars for SMS Alf. Protip: no theme collection should ever be completed. You will then die and not just because you dropped 250 bucks on an MSX Aliens game. :doom: stay alive and never get that Magical Chase or Magic Knight Rayearth.

Edit: might as well add a non blog theme set I seem to have as well. Super Robot Wars stuff.

I don't have a problem and I can quit any time I want. :negative:

Captain Rufus fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jan 16, 2019

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

hatty posted:

I've been playing Devil's Crush and I'm suddenly very interested in virtual pinball

Pinball Dreams, Fantasies, Illusions. Best pinball sims that aren't our more modern ones that are so real feeling they are Uncanny Valley levels. And are original tables. You can get most of em in their pc ports on Gog. Sadly the remastered Dreams n Fantasies were 08 era ios so are effectively lost media now. (Like everything on my g1 IPad Air because it refuses to boot up insisting its not charged. I wanna play "Damned Little Town" and "Eclipse" again!)

Devils Crush is largely one of the best not trying to be a pinball simulation pin games though. Jaki Crush feels pretty dire however. (Revenge of the Gator is a Game Boy hidden gem imo.)

Lately my retro has been Stupid Vita Tricks. I just need a USB extension cable as only one 6" cable actually will charge the bastard. I'm in the mood for more 1st person dungeon crawling in Lazy mode. I was playing Shining in the Holy Ark on the Saturn (via emulation cuz LAZY MODE) as a follow up to completing Might and Magic 6-8 but im not feeling it. I reached the dungeon with invert gravity tunnels and it just sucks all the enthusiasm I have away.

Yes there are some on the Switch but many dungeon crawlers are now either monster collection (meh) or very very creepy anime horny. Like the Mary Skelter games. If Demon Gaze was pushing it Mary Skelter is near Watch Listing it.

I just want to rampage through dungeons with a nice automap and make my numbers go up, not what it seems to be turning into!

Edit:: I'm aware of many dungeon crawlers. Here are most of my last ages of portables n Megaten collection:
vvvvv

I BUY IN THE TIMES STUFF IS CHEAP. But its never enough. The Beast hungers. You can never feed it, only calm it for a time.

Captain Rufus fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jun 7, 2023

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
Oh yeah. We were talking Pinball last week. I pulled out what I think is all my Pinball vidya plus one game thats more Breakout probably but whatever. I'm not gonna go hunting down all my Paddle type games for a pic. I spent enough time recently pulling out my Megatens and my Dungeon Crawlers this week. (Latter is in Crpg thread.)

There are some good (Pinball Dreams, Revenge of the Gator), and some not so good. (Mile High Pinball, Virtual Pinball, Epic Pinball.) And then there is Baffle Ball on the Microsoft collection there that's actually addictive in spite of being proto Pinball and in a collection of a bit off game feel. Still good fun.

And another suite/theme collection. My Falcom/Ys games cuz iirc that too came up in semi recent talk.

Felghana is God Tier action rpg. Xanadu Next is.. the opposite of that. Its probably the worst rpg/strategy game on the N Gage. And not just because Pathway to Glory and its sequel are pretty much the reasons to own the drat machine, thus making it look like the action rpg equivalent of Hoshigami. (Bad and dreadful.)

Edit: vvv look under the Pinball Dreams. I have it for the SNES. And technically those Hall of Fame collections have Pin Bot. Sometimes Bride as well iirc. I do want Nes Pinball Quest though. And Intellivision Pinball. Maybe the Genesis pinball game with the adorable dinosaurs in it and Tengen's not as good Crush homage. I mean it is probably better than Sonic Spinball the worst goddamn video Pinball title. And yes I should get Pinball Illusions physically in some manner too. Of this there can be no doubt. It is the Holy Trilogy of digital pinball. Vvv

Extra ps edit: as always I don't count digital releases or rereleases as part of a collection. So while I may indeed have Devils Crush and the okish Alien Crush remake sequel thingie I am not counting them. You can also get said Pinball Dreams-Illusions on gog last I knew but no idea if its all the tables since there are extra ones on various releases like that Creative Labs pack there.

Edit 2: goddammit now I'm reminded of Srw pinball and Necronomicon that I also want. And given these days even the most mediocre things sell for absurd amounts it just is gonna make me cranky. (Er. Because honestly I may in fact be a Grouch Elemental. Or a Cheapass Elemental.)

Captain Rufus fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jun 14, 2023

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Random Stranger posted:

And it doesn't help that Nintendo hosed over everyone they worked with through the 80s and into the 90s. They didn't just burn bridges, they broke out flamethrowers and danced as they ruined every professional relationship they had and made the entire video game industry into their enemies. It's not just the decision to use cartridges or the difficulty in programming for the platform that made software releases drop off hard for the Nintendo 64 compared to the Super Nintendo.

This seems to be every company though. Once they get big they either get greedy or arrogant or both. (Or SHAREHOLDERS ONLY THING THAT MATTERS Capitalism time...)

Nobody learns squat and they all make the same mistakes the last guy did.

Speaking of mistakes this year's trip to Retro World Expo:

This is all I got that seemed remotely worth the cost. (That I didn't already own anyhow.). Prices just keep going up for no real reason and stuff like Limited Run Games n the like are apparently mostly just a new form of Wata to give sellers stuff to scalp. Like what's the point of losing sleep and driving to the expo for prices equal if not higher than the online ones I don't pay either? It's probably better than the hassles Analogue or anything in the Atari Age sphere requires to get but.. not worth it really. :smith:

Vvvv it is innit? But I like me some Draque: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4018225&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=13#post532101676 (not shown is the Dynasty Warriors game. I have that one too. I forgot about it.) But now I need to figure out where the sticker will go. If I put it on my car will it protect it from getting hit? That would be nice.) Vvvvv

Since I'm editing anyhow another annoying retro thing as seen at the con is repro carts/translations. 40-70 bucks for Nes and Snes bootlegs? I can play the things for FREE on an emulator already or on a flash device if I simply MUST have the accurate (crappy usually for me at least) experience on original hardware that's been Cronenberged into some device that costs more than a good PC or Android tablet does. (Or a Vita or Mister or your microwave I guess? )

poo poo is piracy for profit and way uncool. Also why the Colecovision homebrew community is garbage. Its all MSX and SG1000 ports you have to pay everyone but the actual company for. And normally you need to have a ram/audio cart that you also have to get on a waiting list in some dodgy Atari Age thread for.

But I'm the dope who actually paid money for Switch games I already had when they had qol upgrades to stuff like arcade Shinobi, Phantasy Star, and Valis 4 did. So ymmv as to what is and isn't ethically correct in old rear end games...

Captain Rufus fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Aug 29, 2023

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
Its generally a given that by and large popular games aren't worth much because no rarity is really there and sports games are even less valuable because huge print runs and people generally want as close to current year sportsmans in game and like a modern TV broadcast just without all the beer and auto parts ads. (Or is it all sports betting now?)

I mean these are most of my valuable games and they are almost exclusively niche genres on unpopular systems. That imo are worth the 25-50 usd I paid for them ignoring inflation. Because eff inflation and i'm a cheap bastard.

It is funny as heck seeing that most are 90s titles back when every bone head was buying up comics and Beanie Babies thinking they would pay for their kid's college (before college went really nuts pricing no less..) and games I bought at msrp or less just to play and enjoy are worth prices nobody but a complete numpty would pay.

(There are a few bigger ticket games I've missed because they sold out before I had money or prices at the time were even too much or a friend convinced me not to buy or whatever. I extremely doubt stuff like Little Samson or SMS Buster Douglas Boxing would have ever been in the cards even at extreme clearance...)

A shame I didn't see Parish at Retroworld Expo this year so I could apologize a bit for being really cranky about RPGs back in the day. But FF8 hurt me ok? And Fallout 2 was so drat good! I wasn't medicated so I was overly passionate in a bad way. Still, I may have been a tiny bit of influence for him who is in this thread to become more open to games and systems besides just his own childhood ones.

I mean there are good games on bad systems and vice versa.

I am almost certain the first retro game Podcaster Shane Monroe isn't here though. Dude was butthurt af about the very term Podcast. But he was a crazy Amiga person and there is ZERO sanity to be found in that scene. Not then not when the machine was active and not now. His blind play of Chrono Trigger was funny as hell because it made 2001 era people lose their goddamn minds over a late 30s or so computer guy just absolutely taking the piss out of it. (Nintendo fans are nearly as nanners as Amiga people. But more akin to Swifties because even being a stan of the biggest thing just seems to not be enough unless everyone is praising it. Idgi. Have a sense of humor about pop culture crap!)

But now that I've yammered on/flashed my collection dick I actually have a question.

A question about taking care of my balls.

Specifically this thing I paid more than I should but much less than I could have but I do have 3 other track ball devices it might help too. Any good guides on cleaning/maintaining these things? Do I just do the ol IPA 91 Q tip like its an old ball mouse? Is it safe to retrobright or Magic Eraser the ball itself? Do they need waxing or whatever the hell people do to bowling balls? I could use some good wisdom. (And then just go back to doing 90% of my retro gaming on a Vita or Android device because its easier and the Pi version of Batocera did some resolution nonsense with the most recent updates even though it starts booting in 1080p before dropping to a much lower res and no in system menu wants to fix it. :doom: )

Vvvv thats one of the other ones I have. Apparently its worth a few bucks as opposed to the system which is a big pos even before you get to the stupid rear end joysticks. Vvvvv

Captain Rufus fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Sep 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Internet Old One posted:

He’s not exactly wrong but it took something to say that and post a pic of chrono trigger. Also points for the beanie baby insight. The back of gamestop was like a pick&pull e-cycler full of 8 and 16 bit poo poo going for less than a big mac. Just imagine scooping up copies of chrono trigger when people were cashing in their unplayed 16 bit stuff for PS/2 money.

Rpgs were always mega niche. It really wasn't till FF7 that it became a big genre. I'd really be interested in seeing sales numbers in the US/CAN of them in the 8-16 bit days versus your average sports game or licensed Acclaim crapfest.

Now add in that my Chrono Trigger and FF3 are both boxed n complete, something most games aren't on platforms where the boxes weren't plastic or acrylic keep case types. (And even then many people threw out the cases or manuals just cuz dumb kid or space is an issue so let's throw all the cds into a disk wallet!)

Plus games that are now utterly beloved while not huge hits in the time?

It'll absolutely add to the "value". But there are a variety of factors in play and rarity is only one. Otherwise a Tandy Color Computer Ultima clone (Gates of Delirium) would have gone for far more than the 220 loose but complete it did last week. Like the Coco was functionally a non entity of a machine with a niche of a fanbase. If it was just pure rarity the game should have sold at much higher a price than 220. (I understand its kinda mediocre so quality isn't gonna be a factor here..)

Condition, genre, platform, rarity, notability, the people collecting on the platform.... all of it can matter at making games cost idiotic amounts.

Also I wish to thank whoever mad lads or ladettes decided to translate Dungeon Master Nexus on the Saturn. Been wanting to try that one out for years. (Please make the ps1 Ultima Underworld your next project thanks I love you!)

Friggin Japanese gamers n publishers showing more love n respect for western RPGs than we do!