Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC
https://twitter.com/Doug_RPG/status/919792643122581505

Crazy excited for this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

TeaJay posted:

From what I gathered Tengai Makyou Zero uses a special chip SPC7110 which is not yet supported by the SD2SNES which is a bummer. I wonder if ikari can code the support in for a future firmware release?

Yeah what this is doing is burning the translation hack into new EEPROMs and then swapping those chips into a real TMZ board so you can use the SPC7100. Same principle behind Star Fox 2 repros. Last thing I read on the forum is that SD2SNES is capable but someone needs to implement it.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Rirse posted:

Ugh, how long does customs generally take? My OSSC been at the "Your item has been processed through our facility in ISC NEW YORK NY(USPS)" since yesterday morning.

I'm sorry it looks like your order is gone forever.

real answer: a very long time potentially. Also usps tracking is trash so it could just never update and then show up your door without ever updating.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

All New Sonic posted:

It's not that devs were lazy, it's that the console was a nightmare to develop for, thanks to some nasty hardware bugs and a serious lack of documentation or development tools. Most of your programming had to be done in assembly, and the memory controller was so hosed that you couldn't execute code out of system RAM. Apparently this could have been mitigated with better development tools, but since the console was basically DOA and Atari was hemorrhaging money left and right, no one ever bothered. :rip:

e: how about a console that doesn't suck

http://www.stoneagegamer.com/sd2snes-cartridge-shell.html

Select Japanese/European style.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC
Who the gently caress doesn't like the Saturn???

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC
Just get the Saturn you think looks the coolest and makes your soul the happiest. Or get all of them and play whichever suits your mood. Have a scart switch dedicated solely to Saturn variants.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Casimir Radon posted:

Finally got my OSSC hooked up and working. Tried it with SNES, Genesis, and PS2. All work great. Haven't had a chance to mess with the options because it's too much of a pain to try and do that with an IR remote app. 32X Isn't working but as I recall this one had issue before and probably needs to be cleaned again.

Using 5x mode? Keep us updated on your experience please, I'm interested.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

GutBomb posted:

Is the shinybow component/rgb-scart adapter the preferred one for use on a crt?

Only one I've used by it's been great.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

I’ve got a Craigslist alert for “arcade” and let me tell you, the only thing more sad than the mamebominations some people make is how proud their creators are and how highly they value them.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Negrostrike posted:

Is flat-screen CRTs bad for this business or should I go ahead a get a flat-screen Wega Trinitron? Someone told me "the geometry is hosed and it's hard to adjust properly" but for gently caress's sake probably still better than my blurry curved Philco CRT.

I’ve never found a wega without distractingly bad geometry or corner convergence issues. Happier with my 1997 JVC D-Series. But they are all so cheap just get one and see if you like it.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

univbee posted:

This is actuall well-timed, was just about to ask about this.

In an effort to keep my gaming setup small, especially on a more permanent basis, I'm thinking about burning through some of the consoles with smaller libraries, or at least a small amount of "must play" titles. For the purposes of this, I'm considering any game which doesn't have a serviceable port or remake on a more modern system, and is not easily played on an original Wii, so stuff intended for Nintendo 64 that isn't easily shimmied into a VC file, Sega 32x (including CD 32x games) and Sega Saturn (I think Dreamcast I'll have to look at on its own some other time), Atari Jaguar, Philips CDi, and Panasonic 3DO. Which games, if any, on those systems must I experience before I die?

I may attack this over the holidays, especially via PC emulation with a USB controller because I'm not sure anything there is worth an actual original console setup (although if anything really leverages a specific controller, like if there's a must-play Jaguar game that actually makes proper use of the keypad, whether with or without an overlay, I would like to know that).

Hmmm, I think tomorrow I'll see if I can get this working, or, ideally, working on a softmodded Wii. Does anyone know off-hand if the controller will work on a Wii with the right N64 adapter (either to the bottom of a Wiimote, or to a GC port)?

If I'm understanding right, they're releasing a tweaked model without analog sticks, I think, although it's slightly "inauthentic" as it has straight horizontal select and start buttons instead of the angled ones

Okay but did they fix the dpad contacts? Stuff like Contra is unplayable on the current models because you can't reliably hold down without hitting left or right at the same time. The shape of the dpad contacts on the pcb are incorrect.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

univbee posted:

For the new models I pictured or the old ones?

The old models are borked, I'm wondering about the new ones.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

d0s posted:

I just completely recapped the chassis and neckboard of the monitor in my NAC, did it because of a slow warmup issue where on a cold powerup the screen looked like this for 10 minutes or so until looking normal (or what I thought was normal):

After the recap not only is the slow warmup issue gone but it looks astoundingly good, even before the necessary recalibration you have to do when you do a recap

I really suck at CRT photography but just about every minor bleed/ghosting/etc issue has disappeared and contrast and colors are loving insane. Proper color calibration is a total pain so I'm not doing it tonight but I can't wait to see it when it's done. Recap your CRT chassi yall

:aaaaa: okay time to stop dragging my feet on my recap projects.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Sir Tonk posted:

Everdrives I bought during black friday finally shipped :toot:

Also ended up with my aunt's old Toshiba CRT (27AF44) that she finally got upgraded to a basic Vizio for Christmas. Hilariously, the cable box she's got maxes out at s-video so they're getting a terrific image until it's upgraded.

edit

wow this tv suuuuuuucks, component input only supports up to 480i.

This is literally one of the best consumer CRTs out there. I own versions of it in multiple sizes and love them all. I’ve got a couple other high sets (Trinitron KV-27FV300, JVC D-Series) and this one is the best.

Like everyone else said, almost all consumer sets and even PVM/BVMs are 15 kHz and don't do 480p. If it does 480p it is probably an HD CRT and thus wretched for retro gaming.

Seriously though that is a great TV so enjoy it.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

ProjektorBoy posted:

Wireless is nice but isn't a priority. I'll take a good wired controller if any such exist. I haven't seen great reviews on Hyperkin, etc.

The Hyperkin is very good and super cheap.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC
Pulling my hair out here with a sudden PVM issue that no one seems to be able to diagnose or help with.

I was playing SNES all morning via RGB SCART->BNC breakout like I have for years. At one point I turned my PVM off and then turned it back on a few seconds later. This is what I was greeted with:

Yeah, it looks like a sync issue but it isn’t. Turning off external sync looks different. All of the buttons and service menu options work but don’t fix anything. They just manipulate this hosed up mess. When I turn off the console, the menu displays just fine:

But as soon as I turn on any console it scrambles everything. This is true for RGB, component, and composite. It’s like any video signal just makes it freak out.

I’m really at a loss here, especially as the only thing I did was turn it off and then back on. Nothing else has changed and now it is hosed like this regardless of console or video type. I’ve tried to troubleshoot this on like 3 different discords and no one has been able to help. Any ideas?

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

TeaJay posted:

Would a degauss help?

No. I’ve tried the internal as well as my coil. Another weird phenomenon is that when I hit or hold down buttons on the set it effects the scrolling. Like it will slow down or speed up or change directions. Very weird.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Phone posted:

Do you have another console to test with?

If you have a multimeter, check the continuity of your cable.

I’ve checked 3 different consoles via rgb, component, and composite and two different BNC breakouts.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC
https://twitter.com/SmokeMonsterTWI/status/1011484272891396102

First Super FX and now this :monocle:

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Lime posted:

That sound plausible, and I did find this vertical stand / horizontal DVD rack combo:

EDIT: Thanks, you guys are right:

It also holds 6 memory cards on the other side!

Also wow the world of third party vertical stands got weird:

Why shouldn't your PS2 have its own speakers?

Love this kind of stuff!

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Wasn't it determined that those were mockups or prototypes and never actually released to market?

That's what Sega Retro says, at least:

https://segaretro.org/Mega_Play_1010

drat. You’ve crushed my dreams of finding one some day. That Genesis torpedo launcher is just the best.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC
Lots of cool ones for PS2, too, like Vampire Night and Ninja Assault.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

What I think is more feasible and where everyone would win would be sort of the opposite: low resolution, but large OLED screens.

I'm sure I annoy people to death saying this but seeing snes games on the n3ds xl was a life changing moment for me (for lack of a better term, and yes it sounds ridiculous but I can't think of a better word). Ever since the late 1990s when I hooked up my PC to a TV to play snes roms, I was obsessed with trying to get them to look perfect. The only time I was ever able to fail a blind test was my Wii hooked up to my crt. But that was a crt. And the reason I couldn't tell the difference was simply because it ran the proper resolution on the Wii.

When I saw snes games running on the n3ds xl it almost blew my loving balls off. I was constantly obsessing on weird sketchy handhelds like the GP2X or hacked PSPs using every different filter but finding they all looked like poo poo. All it took was an n3ds xl with its low-rear end resolution screen and I was loving done. I never needed to waste my goddamn time and money trying to get old games to look perfect any longer. No filters, and none of the negatives of a crt on top of it! It looks better than an actual crt. All because it's a high quality screen (IPS lottery), it's large, and it's the proper resolution.

So long story short, I think a way better, and more realistic Kickstarter, should be for a 25"+ OLED that runs at like 320x240 or whatever. Yes I know that Secret of Mana menu screens will look a little weird. I can live with that.

This man is smart. OLEDs are good and good for retro. I could totally see something like this happening some day.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Putrid Grin posted:

Anyone knows of an easy way of playing back DVDs on a ps2 through a rgb scart cable without the annoying region-lock green tint?

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Everything I've seen at a basic glance involves using a Free McBoot memory card to launch a player that ignores or bypasses the region lock.

https://www.reddit.com/r/crtgaming/comments/7hgjmq/ps2_dvd_rgb_playback_unlock_no_greenscreen/

You beautiful bastards. My PVM has issues with component but the RGB is flawless. I didn’t even know the PS2 could be made to do RGB DVD playback so thank you for asking and answering this question. I installed the hacked player and am now watching DVDs in RGB! I forgot how nice real blacks on a CRT are for movies.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC
Don’t add more YouTubers to the OP. They are mostly bad. Watch the good ones and then be sucked further down the YouTube algorithm hellmouth if you like.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Manky posted:

YouTube algorithms are hell-bent on directing people to increasingly radical and malicious content, sooo really don't do that

Look at this guy who doesn't clearly care about ethics in video game journalism.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Detective No. 27 posted:

What are these Japanese versions of abbreviations called? Like Megami Tensei is MegaTen and Monster Hunter is MonHun.

Ryakugo (略語)

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

LuiCypher posted:

This is true - it's why the Sufami (SU-paa FA-MI-ko-mu) Turbo is called the Sufami Turbo. The Japanese like to reduce the names of things down to four mora/syllables if they can.

Famicom itself is the shortened form of Family Computer (FA-MI-ri KO-N-pyuu-taa), so it's a shortening of an already shortened word.

On an unrelated note, I have no idea why the hell Toyota decided to call its standard car the Corolla, because that is a mouthful of incomplete sounds in Japanese when compared to English.

IIRC it’s called the Corona in Japan.

Edit: I’m wrong. Different yet similar car.

SeductiveReasoning fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Aug 4, 2018

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC
Finally got an OSSC after frying a second PVM and giving up on that CRT life for good (ohgodihopeicanfixthesemonitors).

I am loving loving it, y’all. Can’t believe how good it looks and goodbye all those CRT niggles like hosed up geometry and linearity. And now I can have 240p and 480i live happily alongside 480p all on the same TV.

My favorite features so far are anything 240p in Line5x mode and 480p games in Line2x mode with upsampling enabled. I’m just using a cheapo TCL 43S405 which actually looks really good for games but more importantly is very low latency and highly compatible with all OSSC modes.

Only downside is finding out how lovely my PC Engine looks. Wicked jail bars I need to fix now.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's actually not that easy to do; Ideally you'd need to either literally build a Genesis, or something that can be optimized close enough to one, because otherwise there's a whole lot of overhead to cover in emulation which increases the processing requirements. Your PC that can run highly accurate emulators costs about $1000+, remember, and that's not an ideal pricepoint for a Mini that needs to land somewhere about 1/10th of that.

I think everyone would be thrilled with a RetroPi level of quality for a mini Mega Drive. No $1000 PC needed. The At Games mini consoles have just been particularly egregious.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I think the real question is if Xenogears will make the cut.

You reading my mind, homie. Doesn’t even have analog support so there’s no reason not to put the apotheosis of JRPGs on there.

SeductiveReasoning fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Sep 19, 2018

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW posted:

Is a recently capped PVM20M4U worth $700? If so, is it one of the better PVMs for SNES and PS1? Is 800 lines of resolution "too much" that I should actually be looking for one with lower number of lines?

More like $400 at most.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Pegnose Pete posted:

Curious about PSIO, anyone here have experience with it in its current state/FW etc?
I have no soldering skills or modshops anywhere near me so it would require shipping a board to Aus which I have no idea what it would cost.
I wonder if there will be any more developments with PSX optical replacement in the future that will make this obsolete/a less attractive option.
Or even like an FPGA console.
I believe the preorders are properly open now rather than waiting list.

FirebrandX put up a lengthy YouTube video showcasing it recently. Looks pretty slick and I prefer it to an ODE as it leaves the drive intact and usable. Preordered mine a couple days ago and will trip report when I get it installed.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

McCracAttack posted:

Ah, we've overlooked a very important detail.

You actually have to use that if you want stereo audio output. It’s that authentic.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

The Kins posted:

Sony was involved in developing it, so no. It's PS-only forever.

It was on Xbox 360 so who knows.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Scholtz posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vA9NfxfS8aM

Anyone have any idea what's going on with my PVM?

I hadn't used it for a couple of months, and now this is happening on every input (RGB and component)

I'm not really sure what the problem could be. When I first turned it on to this mess, there was not odd noise or smell. The only thing I can think might have happened is the input it was connected to was my PC hooked up through SCART, and potentially it may have gotten a second or two on a bad frequency, but I'm unsure how pertinent it would be to the issue I'm seeing.

Exact same thing happened with both of mine! They have been sitting unused ever since as I haven’t been able to figure it out or fix it.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Scholtz posted:

Well, the good news is I found someone with the same problem online finally: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=155221.0

Specifically, their fix was

I dont have access to my PVM atm but I do remember doing the same thing with the frequency settings to center the image so I'm hopeful.

Yeah, I did the same thing before mine shat out. I tried readjusting it to a higher value but the problem persisted. I’ll hook em back up and fiddle around again when I get the chance as this is the first I’ve ever heard of it fixing itself.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Scholtz posted:

Well, the good news is I found someone with the same problem online finally: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=155221.0

Specifically, their fix was

I dont have access to my PVM atm but I do remember doing the same thing with the frequency settings to center the image so I'm hopeful.

You beautiful bastard! You just resurrected a PVM 14M4U and 20M4U! All I did was adjust the H freq up and down a few times until they suddenly unfucked themselves and everything is good as new. I’m so happy you have no idea.

SeductiveReasoning fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Nov 9, 2018

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Ofecks posted:

Why are you buying 50-dollar games if you're getting a flashcart? Are they ones that won't work on an Everdrive (is that even a thing?)?

Not to mention not even buying copies with the manual! I mean you’re gonna buy physical copies...

But seriously save some money on the games for now and buy a legit Everdrive and not a knockoff. Better for you and the creator.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

al-azad posted:

I'm a strong believer in playing these games how they were commercially available and that means s-video is enough for me on a 16-bit console. However there's no 16-bit game I've played where the dithering is distracting, and I loooove dithering effects as a PC-98 fan. Like the Earthworm Jim title screen is some beautiful art on its own.

The sole exception is Virtua Racing where the dithering is part of the flat shaded texture appearance and looks horrendous without smoothing.

S-Video on 14-19” curved-tube consumer CRT is the best, most authentic way to play IMO. Also I’m a hypocrite with too much money so no I don’t play this way anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Tryke posted:

I've been dying to get into the RGB monitor game for a while now, and a local listing popped up for a PVM-14L5 with a Neo Geo CD for $550. Compared to eBay prices, this seems like a decent deal. Am I crazy? I could see myself either selling the NGCD, or getting copies of Windjammers & Metal Slug.

e: The NGCD looks practically new, CIB, and could maybe recoup $150-$200 on eBay?

This is a good deal.