Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show
Shadow... SHIRT? Am... I... a shirt... TOO!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show

Turbinosamente posted:

Buying lots wouldn't be so bad if you could resell the duplicates but 2600 poo poo doesn't move even in game stores. Hell, I'm not even sure it'd be worth sending them to Atari Age to get some money off a homebrew.

aka "Better hope you like Combat"

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show
Are there any good 8bitdo style wireless controllers for Sega systems? My wife has been sick and wanted to play Genesis in bed and the only thing I have to offer her are lovely 90s IR wireless controllers which do work but are annoying.

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show

XtraSmiley posted:

Ugh, if you love her, get a real Genesis!

I teased her about the same thing but she likes how tiny the 3 is and chose it herself. It's a small spot that can't fit the Sega tower of power or I'd just bring our normal model 1 in.

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show
The SCD1 looks cooler and has better BIOS music but wow is it a piece of poo poo reliability-wise. The disc tray and spindle sled can get out of sync and physically locked on each other and you have to line a certain gear up eactly to the tooth or it won't work. I have a working one but I'm mad at it :colbert:

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show
It’s cool when people actually release their prototypes instead of hoarding them for MY VALUE. With that in mind, what hardware do I need to get to dump the bag of 80s Atari protos I’ve amassed? They’re a mix of systems including some I don’t own like 7800.

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show

Techokami posted:

A quick glance at what's available (that is actually doable by humans) shows that getting an Atarimax Maxflash with a dumping adapter is the way to go. Plug one end into the Maxflash, slot in the proto on the other, then dump via USB. More info.

This looks perfect, thank you! I was looking too low-level, like trying to dump the individual EEPROMs and reassemble them.

TheManWithNoName posted:

Didn’t Microsoft do all this same stuff for Xbox games back when the 360 came out too? I mean it’s cool and all, just feels like deja vu.

If anything the 360 backwards compatibility is more impressive because it’s emulating x86 on a twelve year old PowerPC system, and because original XBL still existed at the time. System Link is cool but so many games only supported XBL. Let’s not pretend either like Microsoft didn’t try to kill system link tunnels with that ping cap they introduced on the 360.

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show
Just picked up a Colecovision Moon Patrol prototype cart if the sticker is to be believed.

How do people feel about crowdfunded prototype release drives? To me it feels kind of lovely like holding it for ransom. I want all of these to be in the public’s hands but would also really like to recoup what I spent on them so I can pay my rent :rip:

This particular one might just be identical to the version that’s already floating around out there but I love Colecovision so I couldn’t pass it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzmKbAh4RUY

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show

Luigi Thirty posted:

:stare: Where did you get all those?

AtariAge has a prototypes forum that could probably help you get them dumped. They’re usually standard EPROMs usable in most readers but you don’t want to risk damaging them.

That bunch I got in two batches a couple weeks ago from someone who was cleaning out their storage unit. Most of the stickers had fallen off so I was worried about erasure. I don’t have all the systems to test them directly so for some I just need to dump and pray. They said they’d been in a box for thirty years so hopefully they’re still intact.

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show
Everyone knows Angry Kirby Syndrome but don’t forget He-Man Syndrome where characters get redrawn to avoid exposing us fragile westerners to that evil anime stuff.

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show
I always thought the later color n64 controllers were more reliable than the original grey ones.

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show
I know bootlegs are shittily built and useless if you have a flash cart but there’s something so enjoyable about slamming SUPER MARIO WORLD 64 into your Genesis and playing fifteen minutes of a terrible game you’d never otherwise consider. We actually just got this one yesterday and it kind of feels like what Super Mario’s Wacky worlds probably would have been if that got finished, with the weird sound effects, bad controls, and replacements for mechanics they didn’t feel like programming like the expanding lines of blocks in 1-3. The remade 1-3 is actually 1-2 in this game, and that’s as far as me or the wife could make it due to the death mushrooms that are exactly as fast as you and start following you instantly as soon as your jump crosses them.

d0s posted:

also why are these guys always happy to ship their atrocities freight but the people selling candy cabs (always in california) are strictly pickup only, gently caress yooooou. being on the east coast sucks balls

PM me and I can put you in touch with someone who can import you a candy and ship it

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show
This is the best possible CD player for enjoying this soundtrack.

The demo versions are my favorite part.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I had a few early PSX games in hybrid cardboard/plastic clamshells. I think it was a thing.

There are a few different kinds. The ones with the molded ridged plastic spines are nicest. Some others are all cardboard with the ridges printed on, and some are in the awful fragile Sega style cases.

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show
:2bong:

e: I saw King's Field in a longbox on my trip over the weekend but skipped it over a broken hinge piece since they're not replaceable

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show
There are more of them than I thought: http://game-rave.com/?p=7066

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show

Rollersnake posted:

Did you notice you have two copies of Off-World Interceptor Extreme? :v:

A-Train is one of those games I always sort of meant to play, but I never got around to buying. Still curious about it, and I love that box art.

Only longbox game I've got that neither of you have is Magic Carpet, which is not worth playing this century, on PS1 at least.

Yeah I have a dupe of longbox Warhawk too and stuck that in there so the rows would all be the same size :spergin:

I have Magic Carpet on Saturn from when I was a kid, but the PSX version is supposedly better. I’d still rather have it on PC i think.

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show
Does anyone else have multi disc longboxes? I’ve only seen two, the CD 32x Fahrenheit and D for Saturn. If CD32x Surgical Strike came out here I imagine it would have used the same case.

The left side is supposed to be hinged but the little plastic pegs are so tiny and worn down that they just flop around. There are holes for them in the top and bottom edges of the lid.

I guess Panzer Dragoon Saga probably is too but I will never own that game :(

Shadow Hog posted:

I like Magic Carpet, though a lot of that is the nostalgia of watching my Dad play the PC version a lot.

It’s a nostalgic game for me too from visiting my cousin in the late 90s. She had it on her computer and it was one of the very first 3D games I played in between dialup browsing sessions of nick.com.

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show

Rollersnake posted:

Unfortunately, there's very little chance I'll enjoy a pre-analog 3D title if I'm playing it for the first time these days, regardless of how good it is or was.

Play the Saturn version with a 3D Pad :)

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show
It seems to only work on the JP version. There was a bundle with a white 3D Pad in Japan, but I just tried it on my US version and it does nothing.

Guess I need to get that!

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show

Techokami posted:

A quick glance at what's available (that is actually doable by humans) shows that getting an Atarimax Maxflash with a dumping adapter is the way to go. Plug one end into the Maxflash, slot in the proto on the other, then dump via USB. More info.

Thanks for the recommendation! It finally came in and I got my first good dump starting with MattMoon Patrol for ColecoVision.

A renamed proto of this game was released in 1996 and you can buy a repro of it with a reconstructed title screen. I haven't dug into the game to see what (if anything) is different from the released version. I'll have this up for download at some point. There's some info about the release history here: http://www.colecovision.dk/householder.htm

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show
There's a hacked version of the 360's BC emulator you can get for XDKs or hacked retail 360s that removes the whitelist. Of course that doesn't mean that other games will work but it's at least cool to play around with. It's partition 2 on the HDD so it's pretty easy to install with one of those HDD to USB transfer cables.

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show
My friend pointed out how my lovely Ikea table is sagging under the girth of the XDK that's even more hueg than a normal Xbox.

I need to get a 2TB drive in there soon and nuke it with a 5849 or 5933 recovery, then I can play with Xbox Neighborhood instead of just using homebrew FTP servers. Is there anything else that's cool to do on a Xbox with 128mb of RAM besides play Chihiro games? I know XBMC can use it but that still isn't very useful now that everything is HD. Some prototype game builds I have also require it which will make it hard to release them if 99% of people can't play them :smith:

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show
I use a Ikea Besta TV stand and the PVM hangs off the back by a few inches but it's front heavy so it doesn't matter. I also use an earthquake strap kit because lol san francisco

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show
My favorite Dreamcast game is still Toy Commander between the imaginative setting and variety of missions, vehicles, and weapons. To this day I’m not sure how myself of 17 years ago got the time records on some of the really long missions like Vertigo. Really a shame a true sequel got canceled and we only got Toy Racer instead. DC also has the best versions of Re-Volt! and Rayman 2 even though those are multiplatform.

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show

Doc Morbid posted:

I just finished softmodding my original Xbox, and obviously I'm going to need a component cable for 480p/720p stuff now that my PAL Xbox should finally support it. The official MS component cable is presumably one of the best ones but is a bit expensive, are there any cheaper cables that aren't complete poo poo?

Be careful if you used one of those old Live safe softmods with a shadow C partition. If you set one of those up then you need to boot to the non-shadow C: to change the video mode.

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show
After lusting after them for fifteen years I finally picked up a white Saturn with two matching controllers, modchipped, and with a save cart all for 125bux. The black US model 2 Saturn was my very first console as a kid but the JP ones always had the edge on appearance.

Excuse me now I have to play more Sega Saturn Shiro so I don’t get my rear end kicked

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show

d0s posted:

lol a couple years ago I also got a white saturn after owning a black US one for a very long time. The US bootup screen always bothered me the most, the JP one is so much better

The US logo is pretty cool but the JP one does edge it out imo. One thing I’ve been meaning to do is burn a region free BIOS chip for mine and if I do that I’d just get it with the JP boot animation anyway. That will make it no longer necessary to patch games to the console region to boot with the modchip.

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show

Pokemon OH SNAP! posted:

If you set up a pseudo Saturn cartridge you don't need to region patch anything.

I would like to free up my cart slot by just having a fully modded system. It sucks having to have the PAR in to be able to play any of my games. I dislike how its menu comes up every time the system boots even when I don't want to cheat and how its save feature is incompatible with the save manager UI in the real Saturn BIOS.

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show
You should TSOP flash your Xbox if you can because it doesn’t require additional modchip hardware, you don’t have to lock any new hdd, can change partition sizes, and your console is a lot harder to break than by relying on the font exploit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Just make sure you check your version/manufacture date. You can’t TSOP flash a 1.6.

Lizard Wizard posted:

What on earth is a TSOP flash and will someone PM me the proper documentation

That's why I said "if" :)
TSOP flashing is just writing modchip BIOS directly to the big flash chip available on the first two versions of the Xbox. I posted about it in the last thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3785100&userid=87318&perpage=40&pagenumber=1#post470996072