Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

d0s posted:

I mean the amiga technically has games they're just all either bad original games or really bad ports of arcade games

I had a friend in high school who used to play the dogshit out of the Amiga Earl Weaver Baseball port. Might not withstand a modern review, but it was exciting enough at the time.

Not that one game debunks the trend, though, I know that. But there were SOME good things. They just were very scarce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Walked into my office this morning and heard a distinct hum that usually goes hand-in-hand with malfunctioning electronics. Like a buzz when an appliance has been left on, that sort of thing.

The culprit? My Atari 5200 power supply has apparently committed seppuku.

I'm not *hurting* for a replacement power supply (it's the 5200, and I'm not desperate to play it), but it sure would be nice if they didn't cost $20+shipping in online markets.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Light Gun Man posted:

Personally I'm just wondering why the governments of the Earth have yet to form the EDF. 2017 is almost over! We're not ready!

:stare:

We are not ready.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

I know Krikzz tweeted something a long time ago about looking into/prototyping a Bluetooth Sega controller. Don’t know the progress, but that’s a thing.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

I never ran into problems with the GameCube d-pad. Yes, it's half the size of their previous d-pads, but it rolls really nice when you just place your thumb on it and rock it. Functionally similar to the Dreamcast pad, which I love.

At least Nintendo stuck with crosspads and didn't segment them (until the Switch).

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

1997 for me was “playing Nesticle and Michael Cuddy’s Gyruss emulator on a Pentium 75 [MHz]”. I remember it fondly.

It sucked.

Edited to correct year remembered.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Oct 30, 2017

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

d0s posted:

it sucked compared to what we have now but if you were thinking "man this sucks" back then you may be dead inside

Oh no no no. Exactly as written, I remember it very fondly but it was also the loving worst. That was still in the era where cutting out sound dramatically affects the speed of emulation. A Penguin 75 was loving horseshit, but it ran that ... ehhh... emu from the Nesticle/Genecyst crew? (can’t remember the name) that played CPS1 games and had the CPS Changer version of Street Fighter Alpha that I could still play with my “gameport” Sidewinder, so that was rad.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

fishmech posted:

Nesticle was released in spring 1997. :colbert:

Y’know, you’re RIGHT! I was remembering the summer of 1997 and goofed. Thanks.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Going to SC3 today in the founder’s backyard. Wooo!

http://www.sc3videogames.com

If you’re coming, I’ll see you when the doors open!

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

falz posted:

Trying to avoid emulation as much as possible here, but it may be impossible. Im unsure how those 60-1 / 19-1 boards work, perhaps emulation but its much more sound?

Those x-in-1s are emulation of a sort. Most iCade’s “interpretation” of the Gyruss sound is laughably bad, for example.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

A lot of his stock ships from Cyprus, but I had to send a Turbo Everdrive in for a warranty fix (defective reset button jammed into always-reset) and he wanted that straight to Ukraine.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Turbinosamente posted:

I will always flog the passable Diablo clone that is Record of Lodoss War. I may also have dumb taste in games.

Game was great. I don’t know how I’d feel about playing it now, but I liked it when it came out. Dumb, brainless fun.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

When I worked for Obsidian, there was a bug filed about Alpha Protocol’s use of the word “electrocuted.” The correct term here is “shocked.” The word “Electrocution” is portmanteau of Electric and Execution.

This factoid brought to you (and me 8 years ago) by Obsidian co-founder Darren Monahan.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Negrostrike posted:

I just hope I have the same degree of success burning ISOs for it as I had with the Saturn.

I never struggled to burn DC or Saturn. However, things get dicey when burning Sega CD or PCE/TG16 stuff because of the architecture at the time. That's when you've gotta break out the good poo poo (low speed burner, taiyo yuden or whatever they're called, that sorta stuff).

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

If that dude was reppin’ Rise of the Triad or Blake Stone, I’d forgive it. But c’mon. That’s still id Software!

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

FireMrshlBill posted:

There is this hidden gem I discovered. Its called Pong. Also, on the go, Nibbler is a must play, I can't believe it isn't more popular.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

I was re-watching Psych with the missus and I noticed this “nanny camera control” prop.

They put in work on that conversion.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

As someone who worked on the Neverwinter Nights 2 games for Obsidian, PLEASE someone, ANYONE get the rights away from Atari/Infogrames. Go back in time if you have to.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

kirbysuperstar posted:

Do you know who was responsible for making the debug NPC the rear end in a top hat DM from the cartoon? I need to hurt them.

I am not going to doxx somebody over some poo poo that happened over 10 years ago.

But yes. I know the person. Was also the same person that decided female half-orcs walked with a switch. I am ashamed to know this.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Discount Viscount posted:

Speaking of Super Mario Bros. and difficulty playing it, drat I'm having a rough time in Vs. Super Mario Bros. on Switch. I don't usually notice input lag but there's juuuust enough in game mode on my TV to be noticeable (and without game mode it was pretty obvious.) Real glad that's finally officially available. Fire Mario is yellow!

The lag is present in handheld mode, too. It’s a shame. At least I’ve got my Everdrive N8 in a pinch for lag-free Vs SMB, but Punch-Out!! is gonna be a travesty, at this rate.

I’m a little sad that I didn’t see any mention of “Super” Punch-Out!!. Is Nintendo deliberately ducking “Vodka Drunkenski”?

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

ProjektorBoy posted:

An altered hue on Fire Mario makes me feel warm fuzzies because that means they made sure to emulate the VS System PPU palette instead of just shoving VS-SMB into the NES Emulator.

It definitely pops out at you when you're so used to seeing the other.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Turrican was one series I could not get into. I feel like the screen never scrolls far enough ahead to warn me of danger. Was the character severely nearsighted?

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

That's kinda what it is - it's heavily derived from a Famicom game called Getsu Fuuma Den, to the point where the Japanese version is called "Gekikame Ninja Den", partly because nobody in Japan knew what the hell "teenage mutant ninja turtles" were but also as a reference to that earlier game. It's not a 1:1 reskin or anything but a lot of the sounds, enemy/character movements, structure, etc is very similar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VuU2rvPmGI

I jumped around to the 30-minute mark and caught a whiff of Konami’s rendition of the main theme from Legend of Kage.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Shadow Hog posted:

I kinda wish they hadn't nixed C and Z buttons (outside of that one six-button arcade controller that I don't own - and even then, I think they're just analogs for L and R), but I'm a weirdo for preferring six-button pads, I've found.

I am with you on this. I will prefer more face buttons over triggers any day of the week. My lone gripe against the SNES, too.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Sure sure, but my packrat hoarder tendencies make me gunshy about sacrificing options for the sake of convenience. But that's my personal battle, and I get where other people are coming from on this.

Really, it's only been my Mega Everdrive that behaves in a finicky manner at times; my Super Everdrive, Everdrive N8, and Turbo Everdrive are pretty hassle-free, at least.

I had the “finicky” problem with mine until I got lucky and was able to order a Sega Trio. Your mileage may vary.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

GutBomb posted:

I now have every major console from the NES up to the current day.

:retrogames: :retrogames: :retrogames:

Neo Geo AES and a NeoSD is next

:retrogames: :retrogames: :retrogames: :retrogames: :retrogames: :retrogames: :retrogames: :retrogames: :retrogames:

Oh man. I don't think I am gonna go with an AES because I just don't have the capital, but an MVS supergun with a NeoSD would be terrific if I could somehow find a way to afford it. That's my last piece. And then I am, as Clarence Carter would say, "sassified."

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Little story: so, my first Gyruss experience was a cocktail version in a Round Table Pizza circa 1984/1985. I have not seen a Gyruss cocktail in the wild ever since.

Until today.

I spotted this little guy at the Retro City Festival in Pomona, CA. For half the day, it spent without a credit. I bugged Jay (the dude that owns half the cabs on the SC3 side of the building) to pump creds into it for me when he had the chance, and he obliged.

It’s not in the best shape, and when I looked at the base, covered in webs and so forth. The joystick on P1 was sluggish as hell for the first few hours, but got better with play (storage rust).

So I started asking around - is this to be sold? Am I gonna have myself a four-year-old Wise Fwom Yo Gwave’s dream come true?

Then, later in the day...

Ah hell no. Hell no. Will not do. Not when I already have a proper cab that was $300 in 2014 when I bought it, and in better condition!

But a boy can dream.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

My wife and I went back to Retro City Festival today, and took a relevant photo of me!

She folded over the awful price tag. But the good feel was real, because after 1985, the only way I could play was with this:

They had not only a networked Dreamcast setup for Virtual On Oratorio Tangram, but they also had Typing of the Dead (my wife’s favorite video game; she was a police dispatcher, and she wipes the floor with anybody’s wpm).

This also happened:

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jan 22, 2018

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

URL grey tea posted:

That looks SO much better than the SoCal Retro Gaming Expo we went to this weekend! I'll have to check this out next year.

Oh homey, that’s just Frank N Sons with a spit polish. Retro City was co-branded by SC3. When they go next year, do it so you can see poo poo like this:

Or this:

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

LODGE NORTH posted:

Hey, so I’m thinking about replacing the batteries in both my GBA SP and DS. Are there any recommended ones to buy? Do I need to look for anything in replacement chargers?

Pretty sure googling “gba sp battery” will get you results, and the same with the DS.

As for whether there are recommended brands? That, I cannot tell you. But I am also interested in doing this same thing!

Thank you for this; bookmarked for payday.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jan 23, 2018

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

I will never forget my best secondhand purchase. It was a fifty-cent copy of Tennis (torn label) for the NES that I bought from a pawn shop, only to crack it open a month later for cleaning and discover it’s a Gyromite cart with a famicom converter inside.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Only Shallow posted:

You should TSOP flash your Xbox if you can because it doesn’t require additional modchip hardware, you don’t have to lock any new hdd, can change partition sizes, and your console is a lot harder to break than by relying on the font exploit.

Just make sure you check your version/manufacture date. You can’t TSOP flash a 1.6.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

GutBomb posted:

I've had a softmodded Xbox for about a year and I have no idea what reason I'd ever have to tsop flash it. Lockable drives are common and cheap.

I have a 1.6 softmod, but if the drive inside it fails, I would need to reformat using a TSOP-flashed Xbox that can spoof the eeprom to match. Therefore, I have a second Xbox standing by with its TSOP flashed.

Also, an added advantage to TSOP-flashing: the ability to use the "game-genie-esque" IDE--> SD reader contraption that 8-Bit Miniboss and others have used to get an SD card running on a PS2 HDD Adapter. As it stands, Xbox requires the drive to be locked to the EEPROM, but if you have your TSOP flashed, you bypass that restriction.

Edit: I would do EEPROM spoofing using ConfigMagic, where I would queue up the appropriate EEPROM for the drive I was looking to format, locking, and then build. I know there's a method to do this with an older PC utilizing an IDE cable, but I found that having a standby Xbox is much easier.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Feb 2, 2018

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Turbinosamente posted:

Ah hahahaha he has Drake of the 99 Dragons in there. I cannot believe that somebody owns that still, no wonder he put the Xbox away for a while. poo poo I still remember reading the PC Gamer review of it and being amazed a game could score that low.

Obligatory link to Projared review for the uninformed.

That's the same engine as Advent Rising, isn't it? The aiming is similar!

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Sigh. The TSOP-flashed Xbox has begun to do the “only turns off when I unplug it” thing.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Is this a bad time to mention that there’s a Twin Galaxies record that I could probably crush, given a week’s worth of prep? I don’t really give a poo poo what the internal politic is with the organization, or that Billy Mitchell physically bumps into me at every convention we’ve both attended- I’ll be amazed if I can carry a single Gyruss world record in my lifetime.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Hashtag lifegoals

I looked at your Dreamcast, and it's not powered on. What is happening?!

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

looks like it's running on the Gamecube :v:

Right but he said hashtag life goals so tell me who’s confused

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

What I am saying:

It is because of PSO that I bought a Dreamcast Keyboard, which was the penetrating factor for Typing Of The Dead down the line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

GutBomb posted:

Yep it's really easy and pretty cheap. You can get a SATA HDD unit if you don't care about network connectivity for like $20. Otherwide you can get the official one and use an IDE drive or a SATA one with an adapter. Then you just need a memory card to install free MCBoot on. You'll also need a USB stick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pO5DmaXKZ0c

Man. That was a really good tutorial. Not quite sure why he wanted people to rip with isoburn and not, y'know, WinHIIP itself (because it gives that option).