Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

GutBomb posted:

I picked up a pair of sega 6 button genesis arcade sticks today from a local shop for $20 each (looks like I got a pretty good deal because for the most part they go for between $25-50 on ebay plus shipping) and they made me want arcade sticks for the rest of my poo poo. For the NES and SNES I know I want advantage sticks and for the dreamcast, the one with the green buttons, but what's a decent pc-engine arcade stick?

The PC Engine ASCII stick is just the NES Advantage all over again. But that also means it uses rubber dome switches for the stick so it's "mushy" in the same way the NES Advantage is.

Hori released a six button fighting stick that uses actual mechanical switches instead of rubber domes. That means the stick is "clicky" like you'd find in an arcade cabinet and most people prefer that. I think Street Fighter 2 was the only game that used all six buttons. Also, I think the metal base is notorious for rusting.

If you REALLY want to burn some money you can hunt down a Micomsoft XE-1 Pro HE. It has a switch based stick that can convert between 4 and 8 way direction. The buttons have adjustable turbo sliders and you can rotate them to change the angle. There's even a built in multi-tap on the side so your friends can play Bomberman with you.

Oh yeah, there's also the official Turbo Grafx Turbo Stick. But I don't think anyone likes it.

Edit: Hori also released something called the Fighting Stick Multi. The big deal here is it came with swappable cables so you could plug it into a Super Famicom (SNES), Megadrive (Genesis), or PC Engine. Rare, expensive, and I can't speak to the quality.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Oct 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

You could also try to find one really good PS2 stick and then get a bunch of these adapters. You may not like the default button layouts though.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Rirse posted:

Probably doesn't help the controller is so loving short that I have to pull it out to use.

The controllers actually use a pretty standard din connector so extension cables are cheap and easy to find.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Putrid Grin posted:

Putting speakers next to a 14 inch PVM that degauses on powering on, a good idea? I assume that these things are shielded.

No, most PVMs are not shielded and unfortunately most speakers these days aren't either. It's something you need to be careful with.

Edit: These are the only shielded speakers I can find on Amazon. They sound pretty good for their size but you'll need a small amp and some speaker wire as well.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Nov 10, 2017

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Putrid Grin posted:

Weird. Werent these TVs stacked next to eachother at stations? I guess the racks had shielding themselves?

CRTs don't really interfere with each other. But the magnets in speakers do interfere with CRTs so most speakers back then were shielded to prevent this. I guess it was easier and lighter to shield the speaker magnets instead of the CRTs since they're usually smaller. And in the case of a television studio most audio was reviewed over headphones/headsets which is why a lot of PVMs don't even have speakers.

But now that CRTs aren't sold anymore there wasn't much reason to bother with shielding speakers anymore. That's why you need to be careful with newer speakers near CRTs.

Edit: Just to be really, really clear: I was warning you to be careful because unshielded speakers could warp and discolor the picture on your PVM. Was that what you were worried about or were you afraid that the PVM would mess up the speakers somehow? Because I've never heard of that. Sorry if that's a silly question; it's late here.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Nov 10, 2017

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Phantasium posted:

It and Final Fantasy Tactics, iirc.

Well, since we're talking about weirdly sized production runs of games, what in the world happened with Chrono Cross? It can still be bought new on Amazon for $10 with Prime shipping. How many copies of that drat game did they make?

That has to be a record, right? What other 90s video games are widely and cheaply available brand new from retailers?

Edit: Turns out a lot of Squaresoft PS1 games are in this state. They really were on top of the world back then, weren't they?

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Nov 11, 2017

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Man oh man! This lead me down a rabbit hole and it turns out someone released an english patch for the N64 version!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bhei0uM72Ag

It works on an Everdrive 64 if you update the OS to the latest version.

Edit: Link to the patch.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Nov 18, 2017

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

univbee posted:

Old post, but I take it "update the OS to the latest version" means if you have an early Everdrive 64 stuck on the v1 OS branch you're SOL for getting this working, right? Is this the only DDG anything available in English whatsoever?

I can't say for sure. I wasn't even aware of the different OS branches. Looks like I upgraded to OS-V2.12 to fix the "Bad CRC Check" error I was getting. I'm not aware of any other english versions either. Sorry. :(

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Has anyone posted this Polygon article about the menus and settings for the Analogue Super NT? The Super NT interface is as beautiful as its hardware.

They start off gushing about the boot screen they got Phil Fish to design (:rolleyes:). After that they get into the menus and graphic modes. Some nice touches like the ability to boost the gamma while using scan lines and a blending mode to make faux transparencies work.

Analogue can get a bit fussy with their products but this FPGA SNES is shaping up well. I just hope build quality and availability are up to snuff.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

d0s posted:

I wonder how much they paid him to make an all caps block letter font, whoa what a stunning interface!!! seriously it's a good machine and corrects pretty much everything wrong with previous analogue projects but the gushing over the interface by the typical blogs is hilarious. if phil fish's name wasn't mentioned nobody would be talking about it at all

Well, it's Analogue so they had to over-indulge with some part of it. Like you said, they're getting most of it right so I'll look the other way on the silly logos and menus.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I remember trying to play Gran Turismo 4 with the weird analog face buttons. There was some mode where they would actually put meters on the screen to show you how much of a "press" they were registering. But that just made it more infuriating since it plainly showed how they just went from 10% to 90% with no gradation. Having played racing game on the Dreamcast with actual analog triggers just made me resent the whole thing.

I think they also let you map gas and break to up and down on the right stick. As dumb as that sounds at least you had some travel that way.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lI2hl3Zfi6Q

If you have a drill screw extractor bits work great.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

At one time Goodwill was collecting all their games and electronics donations and shipping them to specialty stores in major cities. I went to one in NC and while the selection was certainly impressive they actually understood the value of everything they had. For example, they had a set of Gamecube component cables for $100+ dollars. I don't begrudge them pricing things according to what they're actually worth but it does take some of the "sport" out of thrift shops knowing all the good stuff will be shipped off to specialty stores to be sold at eBay prices.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

BigRed0427 posted:

I then want to try soldering. My first one is to do the RGB mod for the 2600 http://etim.net.au/2600rgb/ I figure it would be best to practice on these because if I do gently caress up badly enough, I have another I can try again on.

If you're brand new to soldering I'd recommend practicing on one of these project kits first. They're a good way to build confidence and you've got a blinking loud annoying doodad at the end.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

d0s posted:

I don't really know much about FPGAs but I think I've seen FPGA systems that recreate multiple old computers (in one unit). what's stopping people from making an FPGA based JAMMA multi arcade system? would be pretty awesome and finally banish things like pandora box to the dumpster

Time and effort I think. You still need to have the target hardware pretty well reverse engineered before you can simulate it with an FPGA. So, if you do a bad job of it an FPGA console can be just as bad as a shoddy emulator. Also, it seems like FPGAs are just now getting to where they can handle stuff like 16-bit video games.

From what I gather the big deal with FPGAs and retro gaming is that they can hit "cycle accurate simulation" of old game consoles at a very low price. Like, cycle accurate SNES emulators exist but you can't run them on a Raspberry Pi. You still need a semi-beefy computer. But FPGA consoles can do it for less than $200.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Giant Bomb Super NT stream:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QN7wBWrlt04

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I haven't watched Giant Bomb since the Wii days ("don't shake the baby.") Did the big guy lose weight?

Well, he died so... probably.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Feb 8, 2018

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

FYI Byuu is melting about the analogue Super NT if anyone is interested.

All I'm seeing on Twitter is they're kinda mad that the Super NT is being marketed as "None of that emulation bullshit in here!" I can see why that might get your blood up if you'd dedicated years to a cycle accurate SNES emulator for no commercial gain.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

CrimsonAuthor posted:

Got my Super Nt and loving it. But does it not have controller shortcuts for turning on/off the console (yet)? That's something I appreciate in the Nt Mini.

And here I am still waiting for a shipping notification. Sounds about right for Analogue.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Sorry, more Super NT chat. Digital Foundry did a review that was interesting for a couple of reason:
  • They tested it with a bunch of edge case games that are known to give emulators trouble. Starts around 7:30.
  • They included Higan in the shoot-out. Apparently they took byuu's beef with Analogue's marketing into account.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOSQgBEf5ac

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Final Update! I was wrong. I think this glitch was caused by my flash cart not seating properly the first time. I've since removed and replaced it and now I can't recreate the problem. My bad.

Got my Super NT today and I've already found a glitch. The torches in Super Castlevania 4 seem to have an issue.

I am using a flash cart but that same cart in a regular SNES has no such problem. If anyone else with an actual cart and Super NT could confirm I'd like to know.

UPDATE! I tried loading Super Castlevania 4 using this jailbroken firmware instead. Thank you for posting that! The weird glitch with the torches candles was not present when I did that. So maybe there was something about the Super NT/flash cart combo that caused it? Very weird.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Feb 15, 2018

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

d0s posted:

lol if it turns out the SNT is glitchy with flash carts

e: but jailbreaking negates that

Ah no, I think I hosed up. After the game loaded fine with the jailbroken firmware I tried the flash cart again and had no problems. I suspect it wasn't seated properly the first time.

This jailbroken firmware works quite nicely though.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Well dip, now I got this glitch in FF3:

This was a rom loaded using the jailbroken firmware so I'm not sure how I could have user error'd this one. It is unofficial firmware so I guess you can't really hold it against them. I dunno, I'm done with glitch hunt for now.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

falz posted:

None of the reviews that I've seen have had glitches like that.

I dunno. Maybe I need to re-format that SD card or something. The main takeaway here is I'm using the Super NT in a fashion that isn't officially supported but is probably how most folks here would like to use it. Loading games via flash cart and jailbroken firmware is turning out to be kinda glitchy in my case. At least, glitchy in a way that my flash cart/snes combo never was. Make of that what you will.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

d0s posted:

oh snap

FYI, at one point those switches had some sort of wiring "fault" with the 5th port. Can't remember the specifics. But if you notice weird stuff like console power lights illuminating when they're turned off then just unplug whatever is in the 5th port.

Edit: Here's a thread about the electrical gremlins. They're fixable.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Feb 23, 2018

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Detective No. 27 posted:

For those with the Super NT who have done the jailbreak- is the jailbreak easy to undo? And can you do system updates while it's jailbroken? I'm aware that jailbreaking doesn't void the warranty. I'm just wondering if I would lose any potential functionality down the line by jailbreaking.

The jailbreak is it's own stand-alone copy of the firmware. So like, there's firmware 4.1 and then jailbroken 4.1. You can undo the jailbreak by installing vanilla 4.1.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

:shittypop:

Man, what the hell happened to Square?

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Shibawanko posted:

It always amazes me how Nintendo still gets by relatively well despite all of their dumb decisions.

I read an article about Nintendo from the mid 2000s that actually showed a lot of their questionable decisions were based on reasonably sound logic at the time. The problem is they never talk about that stuff publicly and instead push some weird pseudo Disney PR that makes them sound looney.

For example, the GameCube didn’t have a DVD player because they didn’t want to pay the licensing fees and they didn’t want to go toe to toe with the much wealthier Sony in a market sector where they were already strong. But admitting that would be like blood in the water for investors so they spewed some nonsense about the power of play or some such.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

http://shmups.tumblr.com/

:stare:

I just needed somebody else to see this.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

falz posted:

I still don't understand what Tumblr is supposed to be and I'm ok with admitting it.

Remember GeoCities? It's like if GeoCities just kept going.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/SmokeMonsterTWI/status/978472666372993024

Super NT Jailbreak can now dump carts and saved games. Neat!

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Double Dash is the best Mario Kart. Prove me wrong.

Didn't someone say the best Mario Kart is the one you played in college? That tracks for me. Smash too.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/forestillusion/status/969119578742669312

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Ambitious Spider posted:

Sure everyone here is on it but bloodstained curse of the moon sure is good

It's fun to see them pick and choose NES graphical quirks. Like, your character can only have ~3 colors in it's sprite but they're still going to throw in giant SNES style bosses with background layers. Also, sprite flicker in the water for some reason.

But yeah, it has that early Castlevania flavor. I recommend the Switch version.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Saw this fun thing pop up on twitter.

https://twitter.com/aWholio/status/1001212795680182278

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBC6nN84GlU

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I.N.R.I posted:

Hi thread, I have a weird issue.

I have two ps2s, a fat launch day one and also a super slim that I bought on ebay thinking I could get rid of the fat one and save some space. The slim has a strange problem though ... when it has a component cable plugged in, the image on my tv (led) shows up like someone swung a hammer at my TV, basically the picture it displays looks like a damaged LED screen that's been dropped or something would look. I know it's not the cable or the TV because I don't have this problem with the fat ps2, the same cable on the same TV gives a fine picture with it. I've also tried a second component cable with the same result. On the other hand, a composite cable (the yellow/red av one) works just fine with both ps2s and the slim ps2 itself works fine in every other aspect.

I'm sure it's a problem with the slim ps2, but I'm wondering if it can be fixed at all or even what would cause something like this to happen?

Try this, hook it up with the composite cable and then go to: System Config/Component Video Out. Select that and set it to Y Cb/Pb Cr/Pr.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Sometimes I get intense nostalgia for the time we went to visit my stepdad's mom right after I got a Playstation for Christmas 1998, and I played FF7 and Brave Fencer Musashi on a poo poo-rear end old TV in her basement that didn't even have a coaxial input, but one of those twin lead antenna connecters, so we had to hook it up with a twin lead-to-coaxial adapter

My childhood TV had that too. I think it's called a 300 ohm antenna connector? Every now and then the same model pops up on eBay and I am TEMPTED!

Turns out I had Thundercats to thank for getting my own TV. My parents couldn't stand that show.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I swear console TVs are going to be cool again one day! :bahgawd:

I actually think wood grain DI_NOC on 80s electronics is good clean fun though. Go nuts.

Edit: ^^^ :spergin::respek::spergin: ^^^

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jun 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Sorry, I'm gonna double dip on old TV chat because I love posting this old Zenith. The picture quality is... not good. But it's a charmer.

Not pictured is the VCR I had to run the Famicom through to get it to tune in.