Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

African AIDS cum posted:

From what I have read I need an SD media launcher but its just called action replay now? And a separate SD memory card thing since the included one doesnt support many cards

Or is the gamecube mod easy to do?

I did it with a hacked wii. You use the wii homebrew app that can write to GC memory cards and install a hacked SSBM save that loads Game Boy Interface.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

flyboi posted:

2013 gotta go xrgb-mini
2017 well gently caress that arcade cabinet deal went south... well...

I was going to do a RGB mod on the CRT but the results are less than favorable so I'm just using a Shinybow SCART > Component adapter. Works lovely.

NICE

I miss mine...

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

That goop is what powers the gamecube. RIP

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Just got an snes classic and this thing is so dang cute.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Code Jockey posted:

Speaking of the gameboy, I was poking around trying to find a ROM to play the other day and discovered the joy of Mario's Picross. I've played the gently caress out of the SNES Picross games, and this one is great. This would have been amazing to have had back in my "real" game boy playing days.

Well don't forget the Japan only Picross 2!

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I can't wait to see that thing all cleaned up.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Yeah, a CRT with component inputs + a Wii is a great way to play old games, especially now that there are a bunch of retro-style controllers (some made by Nintendo directly) that plug into the Wii remote.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Without knowing which cable you grabbed, I'll say that SCART is just a connector type and does not imply RGB. You can pass composite (yellow cable) over SCART, and it'll have the rainbow effect you see in the "X"s at the top of the screen.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

mangler103 posted:

Ok, the original snes that the image came from is in fact a 1CHIP-01(I opened the system), which I didn't even realize I had. So I think it's probably the cable since I understand the 1CHIP is supposed to have the best picture quality.

EDIT: Yeah, it's the boxy one. I tried an SNES Mini I have, and produced the same results as the 1CHIP-01

Well then you know it's just composite because the snes mini can't do rgb without a mod.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

absolutely anything posted:

loved that time sonic the hedge hog zapped the ghouls

Same

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Hey everyone! I got an 8bitdo SNES30 for christmas, and I want to update its firmware. I don't see it on the site, though (http://support.8bitdo.com/). I see the similarly named "SN30" in the "discontinued products" section, but that's the one with the analog sticks. Even looking through their files directory (http://download.8bitdo.com/Firmware/Controller/) I can't find it. Did they give up on this thing? I'm trying to get it to pair with my switch.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Elliotw2 posted:

They changed the names because Nintendo started to get interested, the SN30/SF30 models are what you have. The SN30 Pro or SF30 Pro are the ones with the joystick, similarly to the NES30/NES30Pro which have been similarly renamed to the N30 and N30 pro.

Well that explains it. Thanks! I still can't get the firmware app to recognize it. Not sure firmware's even the problem, though. It just won't show up on my switch. Start + Y to go into switch mode, go to the change controller/grip order on the switch, then hold down select and it should pair. It just never pairs. The controller lights blink in the way the manual says they should. Oh well, I'll mess with it more.

Edit: it showed up in the firmware app with different cable. Firmware updated, but still not pairing. Oh well. I'll try again later.

2nd edit: later is now! Clearing all connected controllers in the switch settings was the trick!

Wayne Knight fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Dec 29, 2017

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

I just fried my N64 Game Shark in a way I didn't even know was possible. I was pulling it out of the system and suddenly my arm got hit with what felt like about 20mA. It's been about ten minutes and it's still tingling. Power was off, of course, but that thing has to have a pretty hefty capacitor in it to slam me like that when I must have just contacted a few pins.

a new and exciting way to electrocute yourself

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I love the strike games, I didn't know there was a lynx version. How bad is it?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

LODGE NORTH posted:

Hey, so I’m thinking about replacing the batteries in both my GBA SP and DS. Are there any recommended ones to buy? Do I need to look for anything in replacement chargers?

If it's a DS lite you can get them from Nintendo directly. https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/us/po/browse/productDetailColorSizePicker.jsp?categoryNav=true&navAction=jump&navCount=0&atg.multisite.remap=false&productId=prod10079&categoryId=cat10120

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

RodShaft posted:

But my best find in an actual thrift store was A Miracle Piano for something like 5 bucks. I drat near missed it because I just saw the keys sticking out under since stuff on a bottom shelf. I never in my life thought I would have one.

Well shoot, if anyone in the Seattle area would like a similar deal (or just free), PM me. I also got one at a thrift store like forever ago, with power adapter, controller cable, and sustain peddle. No cart. It's neat, but I'm tired of moving it from one closet to another. You can also have the travel case and USB midi interface I bought for it.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Ok who's gonna make the world cutest mame cabinet?
https://twitter.com/gravislizard/status/958070001608437760

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

hexwren posted:

I liked Atari/Tengen Tetris, which, oddly enough, was available to rent for NES at my local video store---now I look at prices, yikes.

I've been needing more Tetris lately - most likely one on PC because I've been in a slump and have had very little impetus to gently caress around with my consoles of late.

Almost bought a SNES the other night, but my local didn't have any in stock. And since I've never owned one, is there any major difference between the original and the "mini"?

The original has varying picture quality depending on the revision. The mini is pretty much guaranteed to be of good quality, but requires modding for svideo or rgb.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

:homebrew:

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

FireMrshlBill posted:

Check the hours of use, I'd hate staring into a lovely tube

That's what the rectal camera said!

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

FireMrshlBill posted:

I’d watch that all day.

Ya, the MyLifeInGaming guys put it as the best for ps1 games on modern TVs with the dock to hdmi and DS3 support. So a CFW or early firmware unit would go for a pretty penny. I was kind of thinking of getting one for emulation over my 2000 for its dock feature and after that video came out I noticed the pricing went up. Typical “I saw it on YouTube” price boost, but it didn’t come back down I guess.

How is it better than a PS3?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Anyone know what this weird connector/cartridge is for the DS?

It had no distinct markings other than the pink strip that shows screws going into it

What's the clue that it is for the DS? Visible logo on the other side?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Shibawanko posted:

Isn't he probably mentally ill, like actually delusional?

Those aren't really good words to use unless you are his medical professional.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Shibawanko posted:

I'm pretty sure he doesn't have one of those, and a person can speculate.

I didn't say you couldn't speculate about a person's potential mental illnesses, just that you shouldn't. Because it makes you sound like an rear end in a top hat.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Shibawanko posted:

I don't really see why.

Because mental illness is a real thing that affects people and not something for you to armchair diagnose people with?

If you can't understand that, fine. But when someone tells you you're being insensitive and you defend the behavior perceived that way rather than just moving on or apologizing, don't be surprised if people see you as being intentionally insensitive.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

This is not the place for this conversation. I've told you how what you said causes you to be perceived. If you're alright with some people thinking you're an rear end in a top hat, go hog wild.

My co-worker's fiancee just bought and re-capped a Game Gear and now I'm getting that itch. I had a dream about consolizing one.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

It's 90s night for the Mariners and they've changed their Twitter avatar and header to match. :3:

Which game did they get them from?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

TheMcD posted:

Ken Griffey Jr. Presents Major League Baseball, the best baseball game there is.

Oh duh that makes sense. I was a genesis kid so I played triple play gold instead. I do have the n64 version with the sweet intro song, though.

https://youtu.be/rX_KZGX4t74

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Lol they're all in on this theme.
https://twitter.com/Mariners/status/992929581295321089
https://twitter.com/Mariners/status/992952017734615040

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

FINALLY
https://twitter.com/romhackingnet/status/992779015822835712

https://twitter.com/_ad_p/status/992978854305255424

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I turned on my 360 for the first time in a while last night. It was not connected to the internet and hasn't been for probably 5 or more years. Some of my digital downloads seem to have reverted to demos?? Is that a thing that can happen? Maybe I'm just crazy and never owned them, but I know at least Hasbro's family game night is being weird because I played the crap out of Scrabble back in the day. I have a bunch of achievements for it, too.

Am I crazy or misremembering the past?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

univbee posted:

The 360 actually has no way to revoke installed digital games. I’m guessing since it was 5 years ago that the poster isn’t remembering something correctly.

I am not ruling this out. The scrabble thing is really weird, though. I played a TON of scrabble over Live.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

wa27 posted:

The way the 360 worked with licensing was you could log in to any console and play your digital games, but only one console could be your primary console and play games offline. If you got another 360, you could make it your primary, but there was no easy way to add all your licenses. You had to go to the store and individually "download" every game again (really just a few kb file since you already had the game files). It's possible they made that process easier in later years, but it was that way for most/all of the 360's life.

Since the consoles failed most of the time, a lot of people ended up with games that were only playable online because they never went through the hassle of changing primary consoles and redownloading everything. It wasn't a big issue because if you were connected to Live, you wouldn't know the difference. If you can get the console online, you could find out for sure.

The other possibility is maybe you owned the game on disc. Lots of Live Arcade games were released on compilation discs, including the Hasbro ones. In that case it would install the XBLA games like regular but you had to have the disc in to play the full versions.

Thanks for this! It would be difficult to get ethernet to the console, so I'll see about getting the wifi adapter.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

univbee posted:

You can always just temporarily hook it up somewhere with like a pc monitor, fix what you need, and move it back.

Oh, so I don't have to stay connected to play? That's way easier. Thanks.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

univbee posted:

You might have to do something like set it as your primary console or similar, once that’s done and the downloads work you should be good to go.

So update: I got online, redownloaded some of the titles from my purchase history (including a 200ish kb scrabble file) and it works again. The demos are once again full games. I didn't redownload everything, and those stayed as demos. I guess you just have to periodically do that?? Not all my digital games stopped working so idk. This is the only 360 I've owned (besides the one that red ringed the day I got it) so I know it's the primary one.

Gonna suck when they take these servers down and everyone's digital stuff reverts to demos permanently.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Claytor posted:

My Everdrive N8 arrives on Thursday. Any advice on its proper use, or how I can avoid falling into a rabbit hole of bad financial decisions?

This is real good:
https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2068/

Also there's a super neat smb3 hack starring peach and daisy. I forget what it's called and can't find it on romhacking.net

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Omg everdrives are now prime eligible https://twitter.com/krikzz/status/1000431197267296256

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Kid Fenris posted:

Shame on you for trying to take credit for Paul “ThePulseRifle” Streife's high score, Wise Fwom Yo Gwave.

Stolen valor on today of all days...

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Vegas Stakes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

drrockso20 posted:

I added this, but I'll admit I'm curious as to what makes this one so special?

It's fun.