Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

barkbell posted:

is that a bong or smth

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3507531&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

excellent snype if i do say so myself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
hard to believe it’s been that long. drat

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

last post was very inspirational ty

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Smythe posted:

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

Smythe posted:

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

infernal machines posted:

it's the yosvape

it tweets and shits

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Shaggar posted:

why would i have a watch? the phone has a clock

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

it’s cool that you’ve gone from unable to afford a raspberry pi to bragging about your hundreds of thousands of dollars in idle cash sitting in the bank in just nine years jonny

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Shaggar posted:

why would i have a watch? the phone has a clock

my girlfriend has an apple watch and it suits her needs very nicely

her needs for the watch unfortunately are to be a constant distraction from the task at hand. Having a conversation? Sorry mom just texted me something about a cat she saw on a walk its important. Out on a stroll arm in arm? Just gotta see what this snap is all about, etc.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
id be way farther ahead if we didnt get hit with that foreclosure, living as a renter is expensive :(

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Jonny 290 posted:

id be way farther ahead if we didnt get hit with that foreclosure, living as a renter is expensive :(

yah it is. my landlord just jacked up my rent by $150 starting january and we looked around and the only thing we can “afford” to buy is a $400,000, 400 square foot apartment farther away from work & other stuff. rip.

fart simpson fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Dec 8, 2021

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

fart simpson posted:

yah it is. my landlord just jacked up my rent by $150 starting january and we looked around and the only thing we can “afford” to buy is a $400,000, 400 square foot apartment farther away from work & other stuff. rip.
shenzowned

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

jesus WEP posted:

shenzowned

the 500 sq foot apartment im living in now is supposedly worth $700,000 right now. lol.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

fart simpson posted:

the 500 sq foot apartment im living in now is supposedly worth $700,000 right now. lol.

let me check what 700k buys here

hmm

https://www.ss.lv/msg/lv/real-estate/flats/riga/kliversala/bebjdi.html

https://www.ss.lv/msg/lv/real-estate/homes-summer-residences/riga-region/adazu-nov/alderi/hodfe.html

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

are you from latvia originally or did you move?

i am latvian on my moms side, dont know too much about it other than that they all got murdered in the holocaust except for our branch :/

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

i am latvian on my moms side, dont know too much about it other than that they all got murdered in the holocaust except for our branch :/

im an authentic latvian rube from local texas equivalent, just moved to capital in 2017

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news

lmao this is more expensive than even NL prices, and in Latvia?! RIP

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

lmao this is more expensive than even NL prices, and in Latvia?! RIP

both listings are high-end examples of premium real estate here. the apartment is like top 10 price-wise for public listings in the capital, and the house includes a relatively large beachfront land plot. the only area in the country with more expensive prices is the resort town zip code where every neighbour is going to be a russian oligarch’s nephew

if you just want to buy an apartment, 50k is enough for something normal people live in. 100k if you want something really nice and with more space than 50 sqm

houses are similarly priced, a colleague built one from zero for 100k 3 years ago, and that includes buying the land and paying off the ransom architects demand here typically

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

oh thats not so bad, in NL (non-amsterdam) you gotta pay about 500 - 600k for a decent 2bed apt in a nice area in a city, 300k might get you a tiny/crappy one. in amsterdam add on like 20 - 40% extra because gently caress you

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

lol the nice parts of boston area are like 700-1.2m for a 2-3 bed.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

cinci zoo sniper posted:

both listings are high-end examples of premium real estate here. the apartment is like top 10 price-wise for public listings in the capital, and the house includes a relatively large beachfront land plot. the only area in the country with more expensive prices is the resort town zip code where every neighbour is going to be a russian oligarch’s nephew

if you just want to buy an apartment, 50k is enough for something normal people live in. 100k if you want something really nice and with more space than 50 sqm

houses are similarly priced, a colleague built one from zero for 100k 3 years ago, and that includes buying the land and paying off the ransom architects demand here typically

lol, 50k gets you about 5 square meters of average apartment for normal people to live in, here in my district of shenzhen

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

oh thats not so bad, in NL (non-amsterdam) you gotta pay about 500 - 600k for a decent 2bed apt in a nice area in a city, 300k might get you a tiny/crappy one. in amsterdam add on like 20 - 40% extra because gently caress you

yeah, nl is getting hosed extra hard. i read earlier this year that the dutch 73% (iirc) real estate price climb was the primary contributor to the observed growth of real estate prices of either eurozone or the eu (i don’t remember which, but it’s not like that matters lmao)

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

fart simpson posted:

lol, 50k gets you about 5 square meters of average apartment for normal people to live in, here in my district of shenzhen

genuine question - do ordinary residents just rent forever then or move out to loonies as they age or what

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

don't you live in a shack in the boonies and brag about the quarter million in cash you have sitting in your bank?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
he lives in a shack in denver

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Cinci zoo sniper is actually from the game MapleStory.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

welp, just handed in my mbp for the keyboard thing

3-5 days

:negative:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
wait, how are you posting then?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

on my 2010 mac pro lmao

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Carthag Tuek posted:

on my 2010 mac pro lmao

hopefully we get a rotten transistor to pop tomorrow

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

cinci zoo sniper posted:

hopefully we get a rotten transistor to pop tomorrow

noooo :(

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

cinci zoo sniper posted:

yeah, nl is getting hosed extra hard. i read earlier this year that the dutch 73% (iirc) real estate price climb was the primary contributor to the observed growth of real estate prices of either eurozone or the eu (i don’t remember which, but it’s not like that matters lmao)

lomarf

IIRC it's only (lol) 20% per year at the moment, which is still ridiculous

i bought 2.5 years ago, stuff was still expensive then, but would be totally hosed buying now. completely out of reach for anyone whos not very well off

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

lol the nice parts of boston area are like 700-1.2m for a 2-3 bed.

yes lmao. i bought a house in the lovely student neighborhood (that i grew up in as a child) and it was a lovely house that in a sane market would be like 200-250k for 750. 2br1ba and we had to sink in a fuckton on reno. luckily there was no po fuckery because nobody had touched anything besides heating since 1942 so the reno was pretty straightforward.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

cinci zoo sniper posted:

genuine question - do ordinary residents just rent forever then or move out to loonies as they age or what

theres a few categories of "ordinary residents" for varying degrees of "ordinary"

heres how id divide up the groups off the top of my head:

1. manual labor or "low skill" workers like construction, factory workers, retail, waitstaff, hairdressers, etc. these people moved to shenzhen to work for a single digit number of years and theyre probably eventually going to leave. they or their families probably own (much cheaper) property back home, wherever that is. they live in dormitories or other cheap housing provided by their employer for free or extremely cheap during their time in shenzhen. some of them might live in government subsidized housing, which are totally fine apartments at far below market rates but there are limited spots.

2. employees of state owned megacorps. their official salaries are solidly below average, but they are allowed to rent and eventually buy subsidized housing in very decent apartment complexes at huge discounts, sometimes literally 95% off "market rate" but this is in exchange for signing basically a decade long work contract and they can't quit during that time.

3. moderately paid workers, usually office workers or low/middle management in factories. this is the my wife and i are in :) people in this group moved to shenzhen for work at pretty good salaries but it isn't enough to easily afford to buy property here on your own. we either rent for years until we've saved up enough to buy an actual nice place somewhere cheaper and move there, or we pool up the accumulated life savings of our ancestors to scrounge up enough for a 30% or 50% down payment on an extremely expensive modest apartment and hope our salary will go up in the future to the point where the mortgage payments become easier (this has actually been possible for the past 20 years or so. salaries in this group have gone up faster than housing prices have). some people in this group will live extremely frugally for 10 years and end up with a down payment on their own

4. highly paid tech workers, like upper management types or senior computer touchers in the tencents or huaweis. these guys straight up earn enough money to buy a place no sweat. these are all 996 people that youve probably read about

5. people whos family was originally from shenzhen, or their family moved here in the 80s or 90s before the city exploded. they owned property from the beginning and are now well off because of it

6. actual rich people.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
how bout dem appels

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I’m thinking of buying an Apple TV. currently using Visio SmartCast and it’s slow on my oldish tv. at least it has HBO max now tho

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
shoulda got one during the Black Friday sale

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

lomarf

IIRC it's only (lol) 20% per year at the moment, which is still ridiculous

i bought 2.5 years ago, stuff was still expensive then, but would be totally hosed buying now. completely out of reach for anyone whos not very well off

ah, looks like i completely misremembered. https://www.ecb.europa.eu/pub/economic-bulletin/focus/2021/html/ecb.ebbox202104_05~681f95e295.en.html this was the report i referenced, where Germany, France, and the Netherlands were show to represent like 70% of house market pricing growth in eu. the Netherlands has almost the same contribution to that as France lmao

as a compensation, funny nl tweet

https://twitter.com/tha_rami/status/1433923449844600840

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

fart simpson posted:

theres a few categories of "ordinary residents" for varying degrees of "ordinary"

thanks for the write up, genuinely interesting stuff. id have expected the situation to be worse, in all fairness, but it doesn’t sound like you and mrs have any easy decisions left to make either, so godspeed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

cinci zoo sniper posted:

im an authentic latvian rube from local texas equivalent, just moved to capital in 2017

i am be of just of move to glorious country capital, where we have ample goat hoof (local delicacy) and drink of fine rice scourge. Egészségére!