Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Diarrhea Cha Cha Cha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

my students regularly wreck me.

i think i told you all before about the time i was reading before class on a kindle, and a student gave me a disgusted look and asked "is that your phone?"

or the time i made a star trek reference and one of the girls in the back of class rolled her eyes so hard it made me pause mid-sentence

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

i have a bright yellow case on my phone, and i often stick it in my shirt pocket while i am walking around the classroom. one of my students, a goth girl who talks like daria, told me once in a complete deadpan "it looks like you have a slice of american cheese in your pocket."

she’s right

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Sagebrush posted:

i have a bright yellow case on my phone, and i often stick it in my shirt pocket while i am walking around the classroom. one of my students, a goth girl who talks like daria, told me once in a complete deadpan "it looks like you have a slice of american cheese in your pocket."

switch it up, bring actual cheese

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

"what? yes, this is my comm-em-bert"

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

"what? yes, this is my comm-em-bert"

:chloe:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Sagebrush posted:

my students regularly wreck me.

i think i told you all before about the time i was reading before class on a kindle, and a student gave me a disgusted look and asked "is that your phone?"

or the time i made a star trek reference and one of the girls in the back of class rolled her eyes so hard it made me pause mid-sentence

are you some kind of nerd?

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

champagne posting posted:

switch it up, bring actual cheese

that wouldn’t look like american cheese though

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Soricidus posted:

that wouldn’t look like american cheese though

that's why I use the sharp cheddar pro

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

frankly, if I was in an engineering or technical class of any kind and the prof didn't sneak in their nerd hobbies I would think something was wrong. it is your solemn sworn duty to infuse them into slides as examples

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Casual Encountess posted:

im the most annoyed by the “just in case you missed it” alerts. gently caress you app if im not responding to a direct message dont loving bother me. instagram looooves to push garbage alerts and i just kind of hate this whole MAXIMUM ENGAGEMENT culture
can't you just go in the settings and turn off the poo poo you don't want?

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

fart simpson posted:

sussy IELTS?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i unironically love focus modes and its been super useful for me. they definitely need a v2 because you can only do the one fitness mode that turns on with workouts but id love to have a different screen for an outdoor walk vs bike
have you tried making separate bike and walk ones? I guess you'd have to manually turn them on tho

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

Chris Knight posted:

can't you just go in the settings and turn off the poo poo you don't want?

like i said i run social media and i am on the hook for responding to dm’s on instagram/facebook/twitter which i let alert me until the early evening. turning alerts off entirely would just make me open the apps even more to check things and thats worse

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

imo remove non-personal accounts from your personal phone, use a work phone or a burner for them, then put that in a drawer and only look at it when on the clock

i had my work email set up on my own phone at my old job, never again

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self.

fart simpson posted:

he posts in yospos, so it's very likely

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
its ok to use a work phone for personal stuff now and then but never ever use a personal phone for work stuff

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i never understand the people at work who choose the "use my personal phone and set up some android profile or whatever the gently caress". just let them hand you the iphone, my god

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

Carthag Tuek posted:

imo remove non-personal accounts from your personal phone, use a work phone or a burner for them, then put that in a drawer and only look at it when on the clock

i had my work email set up on my own phone at my old job, never again

i agree but

i work at a scrappy nonprofit lol

going forward at my next job im gonna demand separation. for now its cell phone or paying high schoolers and id rather the second

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

like i said i run social media and i am on the hook for responding to dm’s on instagram/facebook/twitter which i let alert me until the early evening. turning alerts off entirely would just make me open the apps even more to check things and thats worse
yeah fair enough. I figured there'd be some more granular controls as to what you can block. like I only just noticed on IG there's an entirely separate category for Fundraiser alerts lol

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i agree but

going forward at my next job im gonna demand separation. for now its cell phone or paying high schoolers and id rather the second

it should be possible to get like a 2019 model on a minimal plan for pretty cheap tho right?

otherwise, welp i got nothing

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Carthag Tuek posted:

it should be possible to get like a 2019 model on a minimal plan for pretty cheap tho right?

otherwise, welp i got nothing

i pay 25 a month to ting for unlimited text/calls and 5 gigs of data per month, and they just throttle after that if you dont wanna buy more

the supercheap plan can go down to like 12 bucks a month after taxes

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

also ting is run by tucows which is cool

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

https://www.macrumors.com/2022/01/14/hackers-behind-macbook-pro-leak-arrested/

The guys who leaked the 14/16 inch MBP schematics were caught, their assets seized, and their group effectively no longer exists

Wonder if Russia slapped down on them so that it would smooth over their demand that Apple open an office in their country

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Jonny 290 posted:

i pay 25 a month to ting for unlimited text/calls and 5 gigs of data per month, and they just throttle after that if you dont wanna buy more

the supercheap plan can go down to like 12 bucks a month after taxes

sounds like a good combo for an office phone plan, and personal plan, too

i used to use my old iphone 7 as a work device but i went planless since it was always on wifi and pre-covid we had telepresence and voip apps

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Nomnom Cookie posted:

also ting is run by tucows which is cool

wow havent heard that name in a while

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Binary Badger posted:

https://www.macrumors.com/2022/01/14/hackers-behind-macbook-pro-leak-arrested/

The guys who leaked the 14/16 inch MBP schematics were caught, their assets seized, and their group effectively no longer exists

Wonder if Russia slapped down on them so that it would smooth over their demand that Apple open an office in their country

apparently the arrest video here (?)

https://twitter.com/vxunderground/status/1481980240742305795

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

work got me timbone 13 pro on which i cjed two notification profiles to at least try and keep work/home stuff separated. if there is a shortcut to hide/show the work apps home screen page i might use it.

thus ended my 15 years of having separate phones for work stuff.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

slam your work phone into a drawer you maniac

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
employer lives rent free in yosbrains, phone or not

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Crime on a Dime posted:

think you should go look up the definition of 'free' my friend

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Crime on a Dime posted:

pro tip: if you find yourself thinking about a work thing outside of work, send it as an email to your work address & forget about it

its now out of your hands, future you can handle it when they clock in

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

not a joke btw, it actually works

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Anne Frank Funk posted:

work got me timbone 13 pro on which i cjed two notification profiles to at least try and keep work/home stuff separated. if there is a shortcut to hide/show the work apps home screen page i might use it.

thus ended my 15 years of having separate phones for work stuff.

focuses have an option to only show specific home screen pages

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

Carthag Tuek posted:

pro tip: if you find yourself thinking about a work thing outside of work, send it as an email to your work address & forget about it

its now out of your hands, future you can handle it when they clock in

my pro work move is scheduling emails. 100% of my work emails after noon on fridays get set to send 10a on monday because nobody is ever going to respond over the weekend

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

its ok to use a work phone for personal stuff now and then but never ever use a personal phone for work stuff

couple jobs ago we had a portal for enrolling your phone into MDM so you could get work email on it

it had a big block of legalese you had to agree to before they'd issue you an enrollment token. started off with usual common sense stuff like you're going to use a passcode lock, etc. if you actually took the time to read it the whole way through, you would find that you were agreeing that if you were the subject of a litigation hold or similar, you were agreeing to hand your phone over to general counsel so they could image the whole thing

hard hard pass

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

thassa lotta bucks

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

rookie poo poo to have it laying around like that tho. how come they havent set up with a front to launder it?

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

kitten smoothie posted:

couple jobs ago we had a portal for enrolling your phone into MDM so you could get work email on it

it had a big block of legalese you had to agree to before they'd issue you an enrollment token. started off with usual common sense stuff like you're going to use a passcode lock, etc. if you actually took the time to read it the whole way through, you would find that you were agreeing that if you were the subject of a litigation hold or similar, you were agreeing to hand your phone over to general counsel so they could image the whole thing

hard hard pass

if you’re subject to this kind of hold they can probably image your personal phone anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

susan b buffering posted:

focuses have an option to only show specific home screen pages

nice!