Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
apple should go hard on the backwards compatibility and basically ensure that anyone around the globe can get an iphone even if it’s a $50 ten year old
iphone and saturate the market but I bet they won’t

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
they kinda do? ios 16 was the first to drop support for the first gen se, which came out in 2016

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

qirex posted:

my iphone tennis is entirely fine, I was thinking about getting a 14 because I'm typically on a 3 or 4 year cycle but with the eu forcing usb c I'm thinking I'll just wait. I hope the battery holds out. might need a new case though, the leather apple ones are great until they aren't

yeah, i think if you're eu and feel like another year is doable, upgrading into usb-c is the way

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Beeftweeter posted:

they kinda do? ios 16 was the first to drop support for the first gen se, which came out in 2016

2016 was 6 years ago

babies born in 2016 are only in primary school

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

cinci zoo sniper posted:

yeah, i think if you're eu and feel like another year is doable, upgrading into usb-c is the way

if they don't sell the usb c phone here in the us I will pay to import one, my phone is my final remaining non-usb-c device

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

at work we got nice new laptops, and they plug into the dock with usb-c. i plugged my ipad pro into it on a lark and boom i suddenly have
my ipad up on multiple screens. is it possible to do a proper dual monitor setups rather than just having three mirrored screens?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

qirex posted:

if they don't sell the usb c phone here in the us I will pay to import one, my phone is my final remaining non-usb-c device

i think it's safe to say it's a global migration, since it is apple's last non-usb-c device as well, unless the 2022 base ipad is still on lightning. lightning was "connector for the next decade", aptly 10 years ago

also even their pr wouldn't survive dongle-gate if eu and na would have different plugs on phones lol

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Mr. Nice! posted:

at work we got nice new laptops, and they plug into the dock with usb-c. i plugged my ipad pro into it on a lark and boom i suddenly have
my ipad up on multiple screens. is it possible to do a proper dual monitor setups rather than just having three mirrored screens?

i think m1 ipads with ipados 16 support that to some fashion of an extent

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

qirex posted:

might need a new case though, the leather apple ones are great until they aren't

they changed something about the apple leather cases starting with the 12. now they don't get that nice patina, it's like a plastic base covered in cheap thin leather, with a paint coating that just scrapes off with wear and looks ugly

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

cinci zoo sniper posted:

they're gonna do usb-c worldwide. i'm holding out for it too

thanks eu

thankeu

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

kitten smoothie posted:

they changed something about the apple leather cases starting with the 12. now they don't get that nice patina, it's like a plastic base covered in cheap thin leather, with a paint coating that just scrapes off with wear and looks ugly

so like the lovely ipad covers that used to be full grain leather but are now crappy rubber that delaminates but somehow cost just as much?

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

qirex posted:

my iphone tennis is entirely fine, I was thinking about getting a 14 because I'm typically on a 3 or 4 year cycle but with the eu forcing usb c I'm thinking I'll just wait. I hope the battery holds out. might need a new case though, the leather apple ones are great until they aren't

just get a new battery while you wait, especially if you have battery health that’s below 80%

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

kitten smoothie posted:

was thinking i was crazy

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

kitten smoothie posted:

they've always been cheap "leather" over a plastic base

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i think m1 ipads with ipados 16 support that to some fashion of an extent

i have a 5th gen ipad pro so it has the m1. i just have to figure out how, now.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Beeftweeter posted:

thanks eu

thankeu

Same, was thinking about getting a 14 but I'll wait for 15 with usb-c.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

just get a new battery while you wait, especially if you have battery health that’s below 80%

Mine is 90% but says I should get it serviced so I am not exactly happy I decided to skip applecare+ for the one time in my life w/ this phone (battery problem started on like month 22). It's an 8 that I bought as a stopgap so I figured "eh who cares" but now that usb-c might finally happen I want it to last another year.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Cold on a Cob posted:

Mine is 90% but says I should get it serviced so I am not exactly happy I decided to skip applecare+ for the one time in my life w/ this phone (battery problem started on like month 22). It's an 8 that I bought as a stopgap so I figured "eh who cares" but now that usb-c might finally happen I want it to last another year.

eh you’re gonna change a battery maybe once in 4-5 years with a phone, just pay the one time cost and you’ll still come out ahead

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Beeftweeter posted:

yeah i think we're getting to the point where older stuff is (depending on model) either good enough or indistinguishable in performance to a newer model, to a normal user anyway

aha I just realised the HugePad 12.9 v1 came out end of 2015, so a year older even than my phone, and it's still trucking along doing absolutely everything I ask of it.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

echinopsis posted:

apple should go hard on the backwards compatibility and basically ensure that anyone around the globe can get an iphone even if it’s a $50 ten year old
one iphone per child

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Beeftweeter posted:

thanks eu

thankeu

thanku

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

eh you’re gonna change a battery maybe once in 4-5 years with a phone, just pay the one time cost and you’ll still come out ahead

yeah you're probably not wrong there

if it was newer than an 8 i'd get it replaced but it's still quite usable for now vOv

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

https://mobile.twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1598090996281413638

tim showed him the big hole they threw the airpower team into

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

yeah, apple inc. wouldve never stoop that low. this more sounds like apple legal services inc. scheme

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

(not pictured: is&t goons holding elons head in the pond until he says apple is good)

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

elon spluttering out 'thirty percent is fine' between his head getting dunked in the pond

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

qirex posted:

it's not my last one non-usbc thing, but it's getting close. i have airpod pros, some usb-micro stuff, and a couple remaining usb-minis

but still - the fewer different connectors the better

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

oh nice, they finally fixed the share by iMessage context menu to just open the messages app and paste the share in instead of that horribly broken mini window that would never work

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

well why not posted:

tim showed him the big hole they threw the airpower team into

lmao

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i cant believe some of you people are excited about usbc

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
god drat i hate it

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Jonny 290 posted:

god drat i hate it

i would like you to listen to this Eiffel 65 album europop

it will make everything clear i think

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Jonny 290 posted:

i cant believe some of you people are excited about usbc

how do you feel when it comes to hdmi?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Jonny 290 posted:

god drat i hate it

going to be a rough decade for you

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

if the iphone 15 is just another incremental improvement maybe i'll buy a 14 next year when they're cheaper and keep trucking with lightning for a few more years :smug:

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

if the iphone 15 is just another incremental improvement maybe i'll buy a 14 next year when they're cheaper and keep trucking with lightning for a few more years :smug:

lol when they're cheaper

prices don't go down silly

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Jonny 290 posted:

god drat i hate it

i normally don't mind it but for the huge bungle on cables

that said, i'm plenty fine with lightning in my 14 pro because my xs port was fine for 4 years

meanwhile, the usb c hosed up in my ipad pro after 2 and needed to be replaced entirely and all it did was sit in a stand and be my video calling device for the pandemic

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

i've had 3 ipads with usb-c now and none of their ports are hosed

you're using it wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i've never had either port fail

i've had micro-usb ports fail and the connector is terrible, so if having a usb-c phone is a consequence of no more micro-usb then that's fine by me