Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

mediaphage posted:

lol

“wtf why don’t i have enough space to install this ios update”

oh thanks you helpfully downloaded 25 gigabytes of podcasts for me

:tipshat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Where is my OLED iPad Tim Apple?! My 2017 10” battery is awful and I am using it as an excuse to upgrade when an OLED model comes out.:argh:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

infernal machines posted:

1990s japanese software as an aesthetic

or, any piece of radio software made, ever.

early 00's winamp skins

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I had my 10.5” iPad Pro from 2017’s battery replaced like a year or so ago/aka they sent me a new one without the scuff mark on the upper right corner.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Last Chance posted:

I had my 10.5” iPad Pro from 2017’s battery replaced like a year or so ago/aka they sent me a new one without the scuff mark on the upper right corner.

It would be more economical, and give my iPad great battery life again, and be friendlier to the environment. But shiny OLED and an M3 seem really nice.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

FlapYoJacks posted:

Where is my OLED iPad Tim Apple?! My 2017 10” battery is awful and I am using it as an excuse to upgrade when an OLED model comes out.:argh:

probably coming sometime in the next three weeks

hope you’re looking forward to paying twice the cost of last years model

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

mediaphage posted:

probably coming sometime in the next three weeks

hope you’re looking forward to paying twice the cost of last years model

an iPad technically more powerful than a $1600 MacBook Pro, with an even better display, but hamstrung by iPadOS limitations. starting at $2399

incompatible with the old iPad Magic Keyboard, introducing iPad Magic Keyboard 2, $599

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
I was going to upgrade my iPad, but it turns out I like the vision more.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Branch Nvidian posted:

an iPad technically more powerful than a $1600 MacBook Pro, with an even better display, but hamstrung by iPadOS limitations. starting at $2399

incompatible with the old iPad Magic Keyboard, introducing iPad Magic Keyboard 2, $599

literally absolutely this lol

tk posted:

I was going to upgrade my iPad, but it turns out I like the vision more.

ngl i’m a little jelly because they sound dope they’re just crazy spendy

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
what is a vision but an ipad that wraps around your face

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

the vision hurts my friends eyeballs, but he is weak

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

BONGHITZ posted:

tell him not to stare directly into the infinity gem

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

BONGHITZ posted:

:hai: he’s having human eyeballs-ing it wrong

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

haveblue posted:

what is a vision but an ipad that wraps around your face

Multiple iPads that wrap around your face. With no glare and unnecessarily good color calibration.

It's actually the best focus device I've ever used. It's super easy to turn on your work, head off to the moon, throw an hour long timer behind you and forget what's going on.

The cost is pretty unjustifiable for individuals but companies should start buying these for their computer touchers. It might make an open office situation workable.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
Oh and putting a stupid computer on your face is really a more appropriate social indicator of what you're doing when you're looking at your tablet/phone.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

tk posted:

It might make an open office situation workable.

They don't want the open office situation to be workable, the misery is the point.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

big shtick energy posted:

They don't want the open office situation to be workable, the misery is the point.

lol fully open offices are bad but

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

mediaphage posted:

lol fully open offices are bad but

lol yeah, that was a reach. mostly about saving money on office space with a side of cargo-culting 2010s startup culture.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

while cost savings is a big aspect i do for sure buy that the point of open offices is that people should feel watched, forced into socializing, and generally "supervised", so i don't think anything removing that will be likely to be something companies leap at.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

nah it's just cost, all the dehumanization is just a bonus

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

forced into socializing,

i've made a couple long-term friends while working, but generally i do not want to socialize at work and i don't want my coworkers to be "family" or any of that other poo poo

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

while cost savings is a big aspect i do for sure buy that the point of open offices is that people should feel watched, forced into socializing, and generally "supervised", so i don't think anything removing that will be likely to be something companies leap at.

i don’t think literally strapping the monitor to my face would make me feel more humanised and less under the control of my capitalist masters, op

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Branch Nvidian posted:

i've made a couple long-term friends while working, but generally i do not want to socialize at work and i don't want my coworkers to be "family" or any of that other poo poo

yeah, work keeps trying to do these big staff outings and i have to keep saying no i am not giving up an entire god drat evening to hang out with people from work i have actual friends to do that with

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
mobile safari is cool and good except for two key issues:
- my chrome passwords don't sync
- the ad blocker is a paid app

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Firefox passwords sync, maybe you should use a good browser

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

chrome is the new IE because it's the one my work forces me to use when I really prefer Firefox or Safari

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

rjmccall posted:

i’ll bite. in your very sophisticated opinion, what makes the safari engine “suck rear end”?

speaking of Safari, this is silly but i wish it ran Cookie Clicker as smoothly as Chrome does on this machine

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

corona familiar posted:

not to relitigate mobile safari chat but I have repeatedly run into an issue where hitting back seems to load the previous webpage but the "current" page remains on the screen, so you end up in this limbo where you're scrolling this ghost of a page around and can tap on things that exist the previous page (but you can't see them!)

for years, i could get desktop safari to crash within minutes by using tab groups and moving tabs between them. every new version, i'd try it and get the same result. when it didn't crash, it would do weird things like auto-closing a new tab seconds after i created it

tab groups finally started working reliably for me in sonoma

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

big shtick energy posted:

this is also true of libreoffice

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
I just leaned about Settings>Screen Time>Screen Distance which warns you that your phone is too close to your face.
I went cross eyed and needed eye surgery, which I think was in no small part due to using tiny phones too close to my face. Using this on my pro max should help.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Perplx posted:

I just leaned about Settings>Screen Time>Screen Distance which warns you that your phone is too close to your face.
I went cross eyed and needed eye surgery, which I think was in no small part due to using tiny phones too close to my face. Using this on my pro max should help.

hmm

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Perplx posted:

what's supposed to happen when this is on? it doesn't seem to trigger for me no matter how close I get (down to booping myself with the phone)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
skill issue

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

hidden iPhone setting that alerts me when I need to turn the screen on

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

lmao ok the screen distance thing is dumb and bad. i’m laying on my side on the couch and it’s making me hold it down at my waist to use it

lol off

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

mediaphage posted:

i’m laying on my side on the couch and it’s making me hold it down at my waist to use it

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
the ol’ two-hander

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

njsykora posted:

i have actual friends to do that with

Like in real life that aren't your dog, child, or wife?
Not sure if I believe this.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

haveblue posted:

what's supposed to happen when this is on? it doesn't seem to trigger for me no matter how close I get (down to booping myself with the phone)

it takes a minute to get this screen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

no way im doing that, my arms are a meter long