Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

timb desperate to sell phones with even larger screens and margins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
looks like Canva bought Affinity after they failed to buy Figma last year

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
saw that and it sucks

“no change to pricing at this time

lol ok

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

wonder if v3 will be subscription only; if so there’s no point in not just using adobe

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

itll be really funny if all the adobe competitors end up killing themselves by trying to turn their customers, who pretty much exclusively exist because they don't want to deal with adobe's subscription bullshit, in recurring revenue streams

presumably at least one will refrain from lighting themselves on fire, but capitalism makes people do dumb poo poo so :shrug:

hopefully the pixelmator/photomator folks will keep up their lifetime license thing and save their yearly nonsense for enterprise customers or whatnot. we'll see i guess

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

like the best outcome of this i could see is a one time for apps or a monthly payment that gets you like. apps and some free plugins or whatever

but i just don’t believe they won’t monthly this poo poo into the ground

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
i bet they will add an also-also-also-also-ran cloud storage platform that integrates with the apps as a :airquote:premium:airquote: feature

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
didn't adobe kill their own creative cloud storage offering recently?

e: it's incredible the way any kind of utility with creative use must ultimately become a subscription service. it's like carcinization, but for software.

something like nik collection, which are post-processing and lut presets, are now a loving subscription product. this isn't a rapid dev cycle product, there is literally no value added to me as a user, but if i don't know how to google up the old versions or if i use an editing suite that no longer supports them, i can pay monthly for poo poo that used to be free.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Mar 26, 2024

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
no

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
:shrug: i got a ton of notices about some creative cloud storage change a few months back and i honestly don't remember what they were. maybe it was document retention or something

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_YDm2ThdD4

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

infernal machines posted:

didn't adobe kill their own creative cloud storage offering recently?

e: it's incredible the way any kind of utility with creative use must ultimately become a subscription service. it's like carcinization, but for software.

something like nik collection, which are post-processing and lut presets, are now a loving subscription product. this isn't a rapid dev cycle product, there is literally no value added to me as a user, but if i don't know how to google up the old versions or if i use an editing suite that no longer supports them, i can pay monthly for poo poo that used to be free.

I don't think so, I keep getting offers to store the random PDF I got from a coworker in My Adobo Cloud Storage :yeah:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

mediaphage posted:

saw that and it sucks

“no change to pricing at this time

lol ok

ugh

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

weirdly clever as a first announcement as i am now likely buying the outright-bought versions now, im a version behind at least on photo.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
i just bought them like a month ago and haven't even used them much yet

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

infernal machines posted:

that cairo throw is mighty tempting

it was 50 bucks off this past weekend so i got one

it's very cute :3:

will toss it in gentle cycle this weekend to get rid of the wrinkles but it looks nice and appears to be good quality

came in a little cairo rucksack too

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
omg :3:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

graph posted:

it looks nice and appears to be good quality
mlyp

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
neat

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
nice, looks real good

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

you can learn about the jacquard loom and how it lead to the invention of the computer in episode four of connections

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Elder Postsman posted:

you can learn about the jacquard loom and how it lead to the invention of the computer in episode four of connections

connections was great because it ends right before computers ruined everything forever

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Chris Knight posted:

looks like Canva bought Affinity after they failed to buy Figma last year

what’s figma?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

akadajet posted:

what’s figma?

not much, what's figma with you

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

:)

Cold on a Cob posted:

nice, looks real good

the flipside (reversed white on black) looks good on my bed as well! will have to test it out (with a nap)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

graph posted:

it was 50 bucks off this past weekend so i got one

it's very cute :3:

will toss it in gentle cycle this weekend to get rid of the wrinkles but it looks nice and appears to be good quality

came in a little cairo rucksack too

ty. i was hoping to see a better photo than they had on the site, and it does indeed look pretty snazzy

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

yah I think I’m gonna order one next paycheck

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
it's not as big as a big throw but it covers 2/3 the top of my king. so that makes it double sized?

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
it's real tempting, but if i buy that i'm absolutely getting stuck paying duty at the border, even at the sale price :/

i have the worst luck w/ duty and i've all but given up ordering things from the USA

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

wtf is up with my mbp

fans started running, and top -u says nothing is above 10% cpu except kernel_task which stays over 50% and often hits 100%

e: okay so its trying to avoid some other process from using too much cpu
https://support.apple.com/en-us/102172

but which one? theyre all super low

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Mar 27, 2024

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

oh wow, found it

steps to reproduce, afaict:
- open a couple tabs in a safari window and save them to a tab group
- open the web inspector on one (in my case, trello.com)
- close the browser window with the red button, but leave the web inspector open (why does it not close automatically, it does when you close a regular tab)
- forget about the web inspector for several hours, then close that when you notice

sometime after this, my fans started up. kernel_task took up a lot of cpu, and also logd was like 5% in top -u, when its normally never there.

killing the trello.com safari process in activity monitor (noticed it in the memory pane) made everything chill again

so, some kind of resource leak, which i think has to do with the web inspector not being disposed of properly if you close a window with a tab group where its attached. idk how to report an error like that

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
if you have reliable reproduction steps, just file it as a bug (apple.com/feedback, there’s a specific category for safari). the safari devs use that tool all the time, too, i’m sure they’d be interested in fixing bugs in it

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

rjmccall posted:

if you have reliable reproduction steps, just file it as a bug (apple.com/feedback, there’s a specific category for safari). the safari devs use that tool all the time, too, i’m sure they’d be interested in fixing bugs in it

thx

gonna try and verify, then do that

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

you can just pm the bug bounty to me

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Cold on a Cob posted:

it's real tempting, but if i buy that i'm absolutely getting stuck paying duty at the border, even at the sale price :/

i have the worst luck w/ duty and i've all but given up ordering things from the USA
lol I just got dinged majorly ordering some shirts from the US. the email said USPS, but it was actually UPS. so not only did I pay a bunch for the shipping, I got nailed for both HST and customs brokerage fees.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Carthag Tuek posted:

wtf is up with my mbp

fans started running, and top -u says nothing is above 10% cpu except kernel_task which stays over 50% and often hits 100%

e: okay so its trying to avoid some other process from using too much cpu
https://support.apple.com/en-us/102172

but which one? theyre all super low

literally just fixed this yesterday

something since ventura 13.2 or something has started choking the loving poo poo out of my m1. it's siri

system preferences -> siri & spotlight -> siri suggestions and privacy

go through that entire list of applications and slide off 'learn from this application'

reboot

walla

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
it's like i have a brand new computer again

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

:blastu:

(but ive never used siri ever, turn it off every time i update)

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Mar 27, 2024

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Carthag Tuek posted:

:blastu:

(but ive never used siri ever, so)

neither have i on my mac. all that poo poo is on by default

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

graph posted:

neither have i on my mac. all that poo poo is on by default

ah ok. i guess spotlight might also be prudent to check, cause i turn siri off first thing every time i update. anyway nothing really stood out in that list, but i turned them off anyway.

but definitely my case was the safari trello process, cause 1) it was running in the background without the window being open, and 2) fans/cpu calmed down immediately when i killed the process