Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

i do enjoy how a single factual statement of how these odd shaped screens are implemented resulted in you running in here furious about "defending" them, you definitely don't have any horse in this race at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i now do regret leaping into the conversation going "what about this other manufacturer i don't like?", was a bit of a lame move, will do better.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i think pixels are neat and i dont have a problem with samsung or w/e beyond the exploding phone or whatever it was. my problem is with anroid for the most part

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 22 minutes!
yeah would love some more smartphone competition, oh well

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

i think pixels are neat and i dont have a problem with samsung or w/e beyond the exploding phone or whatever it was. my problem is with anroid for the most part

i like android bnetter but u cant have blue bubbles. its that simple.

do u think a m1 air will be able to drive this piece of poo poo monitor. do you think. it will be ok??

https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-35wn75c-b-ultrawide-monitor

im not spending $99999999999 on a monitor that all i use on it is read and type. THATS ALL I DO ANYMORE. edit some video sometimes. not much anymore.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007
Probation

Smythe posted:

do u think a m1 air will be able to drive this piece of poo poo monitor. do you think. it will be ok??

im not spending $99999999999 on a monitor that all i use on it is read and type. THATS ALL I DO ANYMORE. edit some video sometimes. not much anymore.

yes that’s less than 4k, it will be fine. sometimes people have a few issues with macos and ultrawides but

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

notch is dumb but I don’t notice it’s there so…

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

idk how you can’t hate notch after everything

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

oh, that guy? he can choke on a stale skittle

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Smythe posted:

1440 vertical pixels is like some kind of bad joke and i'm constantly amazed that people buy these

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
nah 1440p monitors are fine and if you dont want to spend a hojillion dollars on a 144hz 4k theyre a good middle ground

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
here's a nickel, kid. buy yourself some vertical resolution

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

buying monitors fuckin' suckssssssss

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Endless Mike posted:

buying monitors fuckin' suckssssssss

bought a monitor recently, can confirm

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
buying a monitor with a power brick is the dumbest loving poo poo on the entire god drat planet

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007
Probation

Wild EEPROM posted:

buying a monitor with a power brick is the dumbest loving poo poo on the entire god drat planet

im fine with it if it keeps the monitor cooler, lighter, and easier to move around. as long as all the plugs are pretty standard stuff and it's easily replaceable

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

i simply went to microcenter and looked at all the monitors there last time i bought one

would recommend

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

infernal machines posted:

here's a nickel, kid. buy yourself some vertical resolution

i am stuck with 28" monitors and buying a 4k 28 inch monitor is incredibly stupid

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
the new MacBook Pro came from space

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
you haven't truly experienced quake until you've seen it as it was meant to be seen on a canon dp-V3120 31" reference monitor

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Monitor shopping sucks because anything that's over $200 and under $1000 is some random assortment of desirable features but always missing something you want.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i ended up just buying a tv to get 4k 120hz. it works well, but it wasn't cheap

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I like my 1440p monitors, no framerate jank and most of our customers are on low res machines so it keeps me understanding what they’re going to see

many designers obviously never look at their type on a screen less than 150dpi

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

qirex posted:

I like my 1440p monitors, no framerate jank and most of our customers are on low res machines so it keeps me understanding what they’re going to see

many designers obviously never look at their type on a screen less than 150dpi

reminds me of the time I was doing front end stuff for the tax man and the department didn't want to upgrade our aging and yellowed 1080p dell monitors. I'm sure the blue and white-ish page was probably fine, but you could never be certain.

I guess it was at least a very authentic solution as most of the businesses using the system will never buy anything they absolutely don't need to

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

so was it allston or brighton then

rat city bb

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

mediaphage posted:

im fine with it if it keeps the monitor cooler, lighter, and easier to move around. as long as all the plugs are pretty standard stuff and it's easily replaceable

no this is objectively wrong. you are still putting out the same amount of heat, just in a different place. and how often do you move your monitors around anyways? also, how bad of a powerbrick does it have to be that you need to replace it at all?

powerbrick monitors are only lighter if you don't include the power brick in the measurement, which is like saying my car is lighter than yours because it doesn’t have an engine.

it's just bad and lazy "engineering" to a price point, instead of doing the correct thing and building in a quality power supply.

it's also why every pc manufacturer which designs some mac mini sized computer can do it, because they don't have to work with an internal power supply. instead they just give you a big brick that emits emi and provides an objectively worse experience.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

1440 vertical pixels is like some kind of bad joke and i'm constantly amazed that people buy these

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
1600x1200 and 1920x1200 are both good, so 1440 high in a sub-25" monitor is probably ok

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

TOOT BOOT posted:

Monitor shopping sucks because anything that's over $200 and under $1000 is some random assortment of desirable features but always missing something you want.

yep, this is what i ran into and just gave up and am sticking with my ultrawide a bit longer

also the gray forum straight-up told me what i want doesn't actually exist and also i shouldn't use 4k monitors with my 1070???????

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news
i wish i was rich enough for the widly expensive apple monitor, or even better they made a cheaper one like they did back in 2013 or whatever, that was great

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

champagne posting posted:

reminds me of the time I was doing front end stuff for the tax man and the department didn't want to upgrade our aging and yellowed 1080p dell monitors. I'm sure the blue and white-ish page was probably fine, but you could never be certain.

I guess it was at least a very authentic solution as most of the businesses using the system will never buy anything they absolutely don't need to

you wrote for the front page?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

monitor market sucks and evolves at a glacial pace, with a lot of fairly easy improvements to make if some manufacturer face just 3 fucks about making a good monitor, as opposed to making a monitor that sells at the best margin. instead we keep getting shovelware like displayhdr 400 or high refresh rate monitors with so much ghosting that tinder is jealous

Endless Mike posted:

yep, this is what i ran into and just gave up and am sticking with my ultrawide a bit longer

also the gray forum straight-up told me what i want doesn't actually exist and also i shouldn't use 4k monitors with my 1070???????

you definitely shouldn’t use 4k monitors with 1070, unless you mentioned your gpu in the context of opening microsoft excel, and decidedly not playing video games

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

cinci zoo sniper posted:

monitor market sucks and evolves at a glacial pace, with a lot of fairly easy improvements to make if some manufacturer face just 3 fucks about making a good monitor, as opposed to making a monitor that sells at the best margin. instead we keep getting shovelware like displayhdr 400 or high refresh rate monitors with so much ghosting that tinder is jealous

you definitely shouldn’t use 4k monitors with 1070, unless you mentioned your gpu in the context of opening microsoft excel, and decidedly not playing video games
yeah i want something to do desktop poo poo on but also idg why i can't just run poo poo at 1080p on a 4k. i'm not expecting to play games at 4k

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

it’ll look worse than a similar 1080p monitor and more delay will be added because the monitor will have to do the upscaling.

that said, it doesn’t matter too much

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

i wish i was rich enough for the widly expensive apple monitor, or even better they made a cheaper one like they did back in 2013 or whatever, that was great

isn’t that like 60 hz. loving lmbo

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

it’ll look worse than a similar 1080p monitor and more delay will be added because the monitor will have to do the upscaling.

that said, it doesn’t matter too much

well, your card can likely do the scaling, i know the nvidia drivers can, i assume ati can as well

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

well, your card can likely do the scaling, i know the nvidia drivers can, i assume ati can as well

lol if your still using an ati card

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

yeah i want something to do desktop poo poo on but also idg why i can't just run poo poo at 1080p on a 4k. i'm not expecting to play games at 4k

fair enough, 1070 has more than enough juice to power monitors at 4k for non-gaming use. i nonetheless wouldn’t recommend it in windows, because scaling story is a bit of a shitshow, and opt for a 27” 1440p panel instead, but nominally i dont see a problem here, if your gaming interests are casual/whatever

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

my pc gaming interests are p minimal at this point. i spend all day at my desk, so the last thing i want to do is spend more time here during my free time, so i am a shameful console game player 99% of the time. even the stuff i do play is mostly like city builders and poo poo where i'm not terribly concerned about a bit of extra lag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

cinci zoo sniper posted:

fair enough, 1070 has more than enough juice to power monitors at 4k for non-gaming use. i nonetheless wouldn’t recommend it in windows, because scaling story is a bit of a shitshow, and opt for a 27” 1440p panel instead, but nominally i dont see a problem here, if your gaming interests are casual/whatever

especially if you're a computer toucher using some sort of legacy application from the time before time where high resolution meant 720p