Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

if i post into this thread the sentence:

i really wish apple made a mac and/or ipad in the ipone 13 pro alpine green, because i would buy one or both immediately

will it become true? that aside, yes absolutely bring back polycarbonate laptops in colors. i'm remembering right now that one generation of non-pro macbook that came in black and that ruled, and they never got buck wild with the colors after the initial ibooks. someone should make a fun computer* again someday.

* - this is, of course, not possible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

nurrwick posted:

if i post into this thread the sentence:

i really wish apple made a mac and/or ipad in the ipone 13 pro alpine green, because i would buy one or both immediately

will it become true? that aside, yes absolutely bring back polycarbonate laptops in colors. i'm remembering right now that one generation of non-pro macbook that came in black and that ruled, and they never got buck wild with the colors after the initial ibooks. someone should make a fun computer* again someday.

* - this is, of course, not possible

there have been seemingly credible rumours for a while of them bringing colours to an updated air line.

either way thats an underrated colour option imo

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i was just about to comment the other day that i woulda picked that new green for my air, had it been an option. hell yeah

e: and yeah i bought two of the c2d blackbooks refurb and they were super amazing. lasted like 8 years. removable battery with the little charge indicator lights. loved those machines

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

i recently had a g4 ibook pass through my hands and, sure, they don't need to be that thick... but i think there's room to add a little bulk for personality, especially if we get usable ports out of the experience (lookin at you, 14/16-in mbps with full-size hdmi ports on board). i'm fine living in a world where a mac never ships again with an rj45 on it, i guess, but if i happened to get a green mba-performance-class machine that was plastic but also had a usable video port, i'd be right there. i'd also be right there if they just announced green tomorrow in exactly the same form factor i'm typing on right now.

actually that's, i think, the better reason to go thicker: typing on things. this m1 mba is miles better than the intel mbps were, but i still make an awful lot of noise typing on them because they don't respond right, compared to the keyboards of the past/of the dell latitude that's my actual primary work portable. i feel like half the keystrokes i hit are just way too hard, and maybe i could learn my way out of that, but image: a green posting box with an hdmi port and a keyboard that's got a bit more depth to it?

big dreams, dumb dreams, call them what you will, but i'm going to dream that dream.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
fun fact: you can use paint thinner on the inside of the ibook g4's case to make it completely clear, or paint it whatever color you want

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

im not fat. i added a little bulk for personality

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Plorkyeran posted:

yes, that's why i want a tungsten laptop

wanna be rich enough to own tungsten weights for strength training

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Achmed Jones posted:

im not fat. i added a little bulk for personality

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Jonny 290 posted:

i was just about to comment the other day that i woulda picked that new green for my air, had it been an option. hell yeah

e: and yeah i bought two of the c2d blackbooks refurb and they were super amazing. lasted like 8 years. removable battery with the little charge indicator lights. loved those machines

the early mbps had those types of batteries, too. it was great for a quick check

i have a super deep blue case on my old mba and would be very happy to see colors expand to the full lineup. a gold mini would be awesome. maybe as a custom order option, i'd wait a few weeks for one, tim

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

nurrwick posted:

someone should make a fun computer* again someday.
sorry, only funy computer allowed

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i'd like to see some really intense, really deep anodizing on these cases. Like i paid 1399 or whatever for this fuckin iphone and it just has the slightest hint of gold. gently caress you i want this thing to look like a dragon hoard. it should be the same color as trump's manhattan toilet. if they would do really strong colors i'd be like 30% more incentivized to buy more poo poo but everything's so 'muted' and 'balanced'

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

yeah i think it'd be cool to have a neon yellow phone/laptop. neon anything really

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I’d go in for an XR style black on a laptop shell

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

everything should be as bright and vivid as the colours on the ipod touch (rip)

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Achmed Jones posted:

yeah i think it'd be cool to have a neon yellow phone/laptop. neon anything really

make it look like a pair of jams

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

mediaphage posted:

make it look like a pair of jams

the switch controller neons (love the yellows) have spoiled me. i want loud colors to come back big time

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

i'd also go for an ocher yellow

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
as long as no one makes it weird and squishy siliconey and disturbingly organic like that thing from kanye west

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

the vapor95 just jazz (the one that looks like a 90s styrofoam cup from the convenience store) and city bus patterns would be dope

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

im tellin u man, washable/replaceable fabric panels. i want a damask ipad.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

rotor posted:

as long as no one makes it weird and squishy siliconey and disturbingly organic like that thing from kanye west

new ipods just dropped

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

Achmed Jones posted:

i was one of the dopes that bought a lumia 1020, easily the most overambitious piece of technology i've ever encountered, but one thing that was NOT overambitious was the shade of yellow it came in. i loved looking at it. bananaphone, why couldn't you have had enough processing power to launch camera.xap in less than six seconds

bring back the iphone 5c's green and yellow. put them on the apple silicon mac pro, tim. do it u coward.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

rotor posted:

im tellin u man, washable/replaceable fabric panels. i want a damask ipad.

same, but damascus ipad

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

nurrwick posted:

i was one of the dopes that bought a lumia 1020, easily the most overambitious piece of technology i've ever encountered, but one thing that was NOT overambitious was the shade of yellow it came in. i loved looking at it. bananaphone, why couldn't you have had enough processing power to launch camera.xap in less than six seconds

bring back the iphone 5c's green and yellow. put them on the apple silicon mac pro, tim. do it u coward.

ngl i've always had a real soft spot for the design of the 5c

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

i would say the most overambitious piece of technology i encountered was the nokia 770

i drooled over this thing when it was announced and was obsessed with it but the fact of the matter is that it was slow af and barely useable

still, it understood a great deal about the internet-in-your-pocket thing being crucial for the future. it just couldn't really execute on it at the time

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i loved mine (and the n800) and used it constantly, but yeah, it was not really a consumer friendly device

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

i've stumped for the n800 many times before, but yep, it was never going to reach critical mass. if the n900 released when the n800 did it would have been an interesting foray, but nokia tanked itself internally to save symbian (iirc) and by the time they realized the mistake it was too late

i was able to find the long article that covers meamo's history: https://muropaketti.com/mobiili/the-story-of-nokia-meego/

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Agile Vector posted:

i was able to find the long article that covers meamo's history: https://muropaketti.com/mobiili/the-story-of-nokia-meego/

this is great

i had the lumia 800 too. i quite liked it up until the web browser stopped being usable

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
lumia 640 gang here and i unironically liked that phone but one day it popped up a You Can Definitely Upgrade To The New Windows Phone OS dialog and i clicked yes and it permabricked it soooo

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

i would say the most overambitious piece of technology i encountered was the nokia 770

man i havent thought about these for so long

i wonder where mine is

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

lumia 640 gang here and i unironically liked that phone but one day it popped up a You Can Definitely Upgrade To The New Windows Phone OS dialog and i clicked yes and it permabricked it soooo

gently caress well that’s a strategy

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

nurrwick posted:

such a good colour, it’s bright beyond safety equipment and into the realm of kids toy. fun

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

You Can Definitely Upgrade To The New Windows Phone OS dialog and i clicked yes

oh hello wp8.1, you are the horrid asswipe that ruined the 1020 camera experience

there was a lot of great ux in windows phone, but the whole ‘device still works well after a point update’ really managed to evade microsoft’s team.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
not abandoning the ecosystem multiple times would help too

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

this is forbidden anroid chat but i also had a nexus 5 in that almost neon orange-red colour and that was pretty cool

glowed under the purple lights of the bus

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

i always get a bright case for my iphone so i can actually see it on several dark tables i have. firmly in the camp of bright color options for iphone

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

mediaphage posted:

this is forbidden anroid chat but i also had a nexus 5 in that almost neon orange-red colour and that was pretty cool

glowed under the purple lights of the bus

i had one of the bright green xperia z3 compacts way back. even got an aluminum 'bumper' case and glass back protector to be able to see it and not have the 2014-era andoid glass explode from looking at it funny #forbiddenchat

in non-forbidden world, my first ipone (8+ refurb) was white, and my jpone SE 2.0 was white, both because I like leaving poo poo face down on the car seat and i figured that would help repel heat damage. now with dark green kpone, it goes in the door pocket instead, and now i forget to take it with me half the time when i get out of the car. it's not like the few extra steps to go back and get it are bad for me, but it is annoying. i'm not putting a white case on it, though, since there's no green on the front and dammit i bought a green phone, i'm going to see a green phone.

as i look back at many of my computing choices, it turns it out it is me, i am the unifying problem behind all of my bad experiences.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Al kpone

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

aw drat thats a way better name than just kpone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004