Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

champagne posting posted:

next you'll tell me to send in my order by fax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

nurrwick posted:

i'm comfortable assuming it's just my local store. i have something like five i could get to locally, but i just don't need apple stuff that frequently.

one thing that helped the flow of the experience back in the Long Ago was that there was a coherent place to go to check out when you were done, whereas the modern model is 'hope someone stops talking to their coworkers long enough to notice you look like you need something from them...' again though that may be the management and staff of my one closest store.

I might be misunderstanding what you're saying but you've been able to "check out" on your phone and walk out for years, right? I've definitely done that a few times. Yes firing up the Apple Store app is dumb but it beats waiting around

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

Hed posted:

you've been able to "check out" on your phone and walk out for years, right?

can you? legitimately had no idea and nobody ever mentioned it and it’s not posted anywhere

(lol at 1 - the idea of a sign being taped up somewhere, and 2 - the idea that sign says “hey we’re very busy chatting up our friends, please use the apple store app to gently caress off instead of bothering us”)

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
yeah, you can make genius bar appointments too

it's literally selfsolve.apple.com

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
i dont think you can buy like, a phone or mac that way, but ive def used the apple store app to buy accessories like adapters or chargers before. works fine. quickest version of self checkout that exists

scan the box, touchID for apple pay, donzeo

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
can someone explain to me how i'm supposed to preview music on the itms without a loving 'please buy apple music' thing popping up

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
buy apple music

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

graph posted:

can someone explain to me how i'm supposed to preview music on the itms without a loving 'please buy apple music' thing popping up

Beeftweeter posted:

yospsa: best buy has apple music and news+ free for 6 months and apple tv+ (returning + new) and fitness (new members only) free for 3 https://www.bestbuy.com/site/promo/applesubscriptions

music and tv+ work on android or web, btw

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
for real though with adblock etc. https://music.apple.com isn't that awful

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
the ads will continue until purchasing improves

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

infernal machines posted:

the ads will continue until purchasing improves

suddenly reminded of the ghost of stebe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llGnGPgWImk

i've got time

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Aug 9, 2022

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

lol

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

my partner keeps having his Admin privileges turned off in the Apple Home app for some reason, and theres no way to make him the Owner without deleting the home and starting over. I was trying to troubleshoot this and discovered the best way to google for it is "wife lost admin home" because all the loving guys asking about it on Reddit and Apple Support, they always say it's their wife.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Beeftweeter posted:

suddenly reminded of the ghost of stebe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llGnGPgWImk

i've got time

steve jobs was right in every one of these cases lol

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i wonder if iphones have some way to provide network over lightning or w/e

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Gentle Autist posted:

Lighting to USB-A to ethernet dongles will work.

E: Am dumb, below is right

NeuralSpark fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Aug 10, 2022

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Gentle Autist posted:

yeah they can provide internet via usb now. just turn on your hotspot and plug it into your computer. it autodetects and sets it up on both win10 and osx.

e: i misread the question, and, yeah, see post above.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Pro Tier Username posted:

E: Am dumb, below is right

Mr. Nice! posted:

e: i misread the question, and, yeah, see post above.

java.lang.StackOverflowError
    at Post.parse(Post.java:219)

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

yeah looks like we got a race condition here

i was asking because i don't want zombie steve to get mad at his audience again and ask them to turn off all their wifi

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

i still miss force touch

maybe its because long presses could be implemented better

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

blackbook air picks up unsightly fingerprints every time I touch it. but more importantly it’s the only colour that is unmistakably the new M2. nobody will see it and think I have the old one or, god forbid, an Intel one.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Juul-Whip posted:

blackbook air picks up unsightly fingerprints every time I touch it. but more importantly it’s the only colour that is unmistakably the new M2. nobody will see it and think I have the old one or, god forbid, an Intel one.

imagine being proud of a laptop that isn't a rose gold m1 air

anyways sorry sorry, please continue

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Juul-Whip posted:

have you tried being less greasy?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
ive found that once a work macbook hits 2-3 years of age the front edge gets all scalloped from body acid erosion. im sure this means that im just gross or whatever but its definitely a thing

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

infernal machines posted:

have you tried being less greasy?

sir this is a wendys

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Jonny 290 posted:

ive found that once a work macbook hits 2-3 years of age the front edge gets all scalloped from body acid erosion. im sure this means that im just gross or whatever but its definitely a thing

mackbooks always have a too-sharp edge on the front because of ~ d e s i g n ~ or whatever. I always have to take a file to the front and ease the edge, which cuts through the anodizing and exposes the aluminum to my caustic bodily secretions.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

do you sweat gallium?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SqHshlqZIw

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

that is what should happen to every computer

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

rotor posted:

that is what should happen to every computer

:yeshaha:

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

huh

quote:

Is gallium toxic?

Gallium metal is considered safe to play with and handle, and is considered non-toxic in its elemental form. Gallium compounds are mildly toxic, they are not considered dangerous but should not be inhaled or ingested. We don’t recommend eating elemental gallium, but if small quantities were accidently ingested, it most likely would not be harmful.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

gallium is neat because it's a metal with a melting temp around 80 degrees F so it'll melt in your hand. I have a tube of it on my desk.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

when i realized i could just buy poo poo like tubes of gallium and bismuth crystals off amazon it changed my life.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i also have a small ingot of tin, and some mica

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

never know when you'll need some mica

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

rotor posted:

never know when you'll need some mica

to satisfy your pica

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

yeah you laugh now but next time you're stuck somewhere micaless - like a chump - you'll regret not having some with you.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

hmm I wonder what utility rotor finds from mica, let me check wikipedia real quick

ah yes

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

:q:

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Jonny 290 posted:

same for me, no matter the cleaning and care. maybe the heat adds to it? it took ~5 years for tiny pits to start to form on my apple watch and that's a daily wear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Either
1) Y'all are so gross your caustic skin grease is destroying highly refined apple products or
2) Apple chooses materials that look good out of the box, but aren't durable