Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

🙌

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

he would die again if he saw how bad apple is now

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
that's why he's an angry ghost haunting their services infrastructure

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Beeftweeter posted:

he would die again if he saw how bad apple is now

he would be delighted at the A16 Bionic chip; 6‑core CPU with 2 performance and 4 efficiency cores

dont put words in his mouth

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

steve wakes up and screams “what do you mean they put ports on the laptops again?” and jumps back underground

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

njsykora posted:

steve wakes up and screams “what do you mean they put ports on the laptops again?” and jumps back underground

no that was that other guy

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

steve would be soothed by the existence of the mac studio which was finally the g4 cube but good

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

carry on then posted:

steve would be soothed by the existence of the mac studio which was finally the g4 cube but good

its comparatively ugly though. he'd hate it

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

yeah but the fact that it was designed by dragging a single handle in solidworks warms tim’s heart

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
The Mac Studio should have been a 1:1 replica of the original G4 cube down to the disc drive. BluRay would have been acceptable. :colbert:

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

qirex posted:

yeah but the fact that it was designed by dragging a single handle in solidworks warms tim’s heart

lmao

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

FlapYoJacks posted:

The Mac Studio should have been a 1:1 replica of the original G4 cube down to the disc drive. BluRay would have been acceptable. :colbert:

it could have been a small cube, even next-like in cubeness. cowards

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

those cowards at apple should have minkowskied a sphere instead of a cylinder

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

r u ready to WALK posted:

ah, designers are getting six figgies the same way as coders now

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

r u ready to WALK posted:

give this guy the $100,000 jony

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

i need some help.

In my current home setup i have my work MBP connected with 4 USB-Cs: two HDMIs for the monitors, charger and the KVM hub that picks up my mouse and keyboard. Disconnecting and reconnecting all this poo poo to the laptop is a gently caress. Can someone point me to some sort of hub that can take all these inputs and allow me to connect just one USB-C to the mbp or is that just not a thing?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
it's called a dock. you want a usb-c dock

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

any old one will do?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it's probably good if it says it's compatible with mac/mac os11

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

thanks will give it a go

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

apple doesn't make one, and i don't think they sell any 3rd party ones through the store anymore, but you can look.

the cheap ones are pretty much all the same, there are like three distinct models made by one OEM resold under hundreds of different brands.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

i guess my main concern and what made me ask an admittedly kinda dumb question was that i need a dock that can handle all three signals: video, power and data (for the keyboard and mouse) and somehow push/pull that through a single usb-c to the computer

wasn’t sure if that was going to be possible

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

yes, that is literally what a dock is and what distinguishes it as a unique class of product from say, a usb hub

if you search for a usb-c or thunderbolt dock, you will find the exact thing you are looking for

just make sure it says it supports macos, because it has a bunch of hardware in it for video, etc that will need to have mac drivers to work

here's a 3rd party one apple sells. the price is average for ones that aren't amazon tier trash
https://www.apple.com/ca/shop/product/HP9H2VC/A/belkin-thunderbolt-3-dock-pro

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Nov 25, 2022

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

This was recommended as a good all-round dock, I was going to get one to fiddle with my Steam Deck but I bought the proper SD dock in the end

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B093FKT9BF/

Not available right now but it looks like the slight upgrade with a few more ports:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/UGREEN-Multiport-Adapter-Ethernet-Compatible-Grey/dp/B082LPFM1X/

Is still for sale.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

much appreciated, this is exactly what i need

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Armitag3 posted:

i guess my main concern and what made me ask an admittedly kinda dumb question was that i need a dock that can handle all three signals: video, power and data (for the keyboard and mouse) and somehow push/pull that through a single usb-c to the computer

wasn’t sure if that was going to be possible

almost all of them do this, i have a bunch that were like $20

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

infernal machines posted:

just make sure it says it supports macos, because it has a bunch of hardware in it for video, etc that will need to have mac drivers to work

theres a generic device class for this now so drivers aren't really an issue. you don't need to overpay if you're willing to roll the dice on an ODM design thats almost certainly nearly identical internally

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

yeah, these days any generic one will do. id probably get something with thunderbolt to avoid weird usb speed shenanigans because my god is the labelling story there hosed, but nevertheless. i used to run https://www.caldigit.com/ts3-plus/ for my old desk setup, but i cannot recommend the specific unit - it developed very audible whine within the first year for me

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

yeah, i'm not saying you need unique device drivers for each component, but you do need os support, because there are still "drivers" for the hardware.

i have one of those cheap amazon sold re-baged whatevers it works fine on my MBA, but i've also seen those die a lot more frequently than say, a dell usb-c dock

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

i actually got a dell hub because the form factor was cool, it's a little cylinder and there's ethernet and poo poo

that's the only one i have that doesn't do video out properly over displayport or hdmi. also turns out its usb 2.0

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

ive got the blessed m1 mbp now, so all i need to do is turn on my receiverless mouse and plug my keyboard over usb-c, monitor over hdmi. if it’s a video call, usb c webcam and usb c headset. since my laptop is now on a monitor arm, i really like not having to maintain space for a dock somewhere.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

cinci zoo sniper posted:

it developed very audible whine within the first year for me

tbf if I had your posts routed through me for a whole year

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

usb-c... is good?! :thunk:

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Apple books is quite good.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Insane that marvin can't read pdfs.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Beeftweeter posted:

and yeah you can have multiple lock screens now. lol

multiple clock screens lmao

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

NoneMoreNegative posted:

tbf if I had your posts routed through me for a whole year

motherfuck :argh:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
hubs vs docks when will the madness end

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
if it doesnt have a big clunky mechanical latch and a shitload of ports including native db9 serial it is not a dock. do not at me

I had a super cool one for this p3 800 compaq years ago, thing actually slid in to the dock and everything, eject button, you know the score

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal