Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

IUG posted:

the only problem with using your phone as a webcam is that you can’t browse your phone when the meeting becomes boring or pointless

that’s why you have two monitors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

IUG posted:

the only problem with using your phone as a webcam is that you can’t browse your phone when the meeting becomes boring or pointless

turn your monitor on!!!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

lisa source code posted:

code:
appw-prefmain.text.unix.txt

{ Welcome to the ALL Create Preferences Window.

Through the extensive use of hallucenogens I have found truth and beauty. However,
    those same hallucenogens have also made me incapable of getting to Dodge Ridge to sell
    reclaimed ski wax in the parking lot.}

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i've always been pretty convinced that was part of it, though they were helped out by those also being some of intels worst generations of chips

same, i think hackintoshes blowing them out of the water kinda proves it too

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-01-23/apple-reality-pro-details-eye-hand-tracking-app-store-3d-ios-like-interface

Bloomberg posted:

Apple’s long-anticipated mixed-reality headset is an ambitious attempt to create a 3D version of the iPhone’s operating system, with eye- and hand-tracking systems that could set the technology apart from rival products. The roughly $3,000 device, due later this year under the likely name of Reality Pro, will take a novel approach to virtual meetings and immersive video, aiming to shake up a VR industry currently dominated by Meta. It’s a high-stakes gambit for Apple, which is expanding into its first major new product category since releasing a smartwatch in 2015, and the company needs to wow consumers.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Blotto_Otter posted:

Settings > General > Keyboard > Hardware Keyboard > Modifier Keys, change that silly globe key to act as the escape key, write email to tim apple telling him to put the right keys on the keyboard next time

thanks, I didn't know this existed before your post. I've been using Caps Lock as an escape key and everything works great now. Just holding it wrong!

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The jony haunted headset

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

stretching things a bit to say facebook is “dominating” an industry only they seem to care about while losing poo poo loads of money on

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
the fact that thing still exists is proof stebe apple is dead

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
extremely excited to spend 3 thousand american dollars on a headset that tracks my eye motion, so that I may attend work meetings

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

njsykora posted:

stretching things a bit to say facebook is “dominating” an industry only they seem to care about while losing poo poo loads of money on

the quest 2 is pretty popular as an entertainment and leisure device

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

njsykora posted:

i honestly think meta is partially banking on apple entering the market, figuring that will give it more legitimacy (doubtful)

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i honestly think meta is partially banking on apple entering the market, figuring that will give it more legitimacy (doubtful)
would be pretty funny if an apple side project caused zuckeberg to throw away deece eleven figures [and twelve figs in market cap]

as much as tim is no steve if the headset thing isn't good they're not going to release it, even if it's better than what facebook and ms make*

*the bulk of microsoft's layoffs are in the hololens/vr/ar divisions, seems like those are pretty much dead [also gaming but tons of turnover is normal]

qirex fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jan 24, 2023

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

the quest 2 is popular as a present. one of the things john carmack was publicly complaining about was stats showing most people just set it up, did one session to check out the whole VR thing and chucked the headset in a closet never to return

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

it's almost like being tethered in place and having a computer strapped to your head isn't pleasant for many people

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
imho google glass was dumb as hell but it made a million times more sense than this obsession with vr. i also never want google glass style ar to come back either though :corsair:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

also like most people have responsibilities like kids and pets to be aware of when playing videogames, there was a sim racing youtuber who was seemingly all in on vr and 4 months later said yeah I sold the headset because I was paranoid about what my dog was doing whenever I had it on

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

njsykora posted:

also like most people have responsibilities like kids and pets to be aware of when playing videogames, there was a sim racing youtuber who was seemingly all in on vr and 4 months later said yeah I sold the headset because I was paranoid about what my dog was doing whenever I had it on

it's hilarious seeing non-dog people in a room with food and a dog. non-dog-owners have no concept of the fact that a dog WILL notice you're not paying attention to them and take that slice of pizza

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I stopped using my PSVR largely out of fear I would punch a cat

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Cold on a Cob posted:

it's hilarious seeing non-dog people in a room with food and a dog. non-dog-owners have no concept of the fact that a dog WILL notice you're not paying attention to them and take that slice of pizza

lol that's a good point

eggy is an extremely good boy but i don't doubt he'd steal the pizza eventually

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
my favorite thing with vr headsets is that to really use one you need to clear a large space of all furniture and fragile items so you can move around and wave your arms without worry about tripping or knocking over a lamp or punching a hole in your hdtv screen, while the target audience for vr headsets is young and tech-savvy and those people overwhelmingly live in shoebox apartments in big cities, often with roommates

huh, cant imagine why they arent catching on like wildfire

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

my large adult son stole a stick of butter I had on the counter when I was making toast yesterday, and he sometimes tries to nab cheese sticks from my middle kid when she’s not looking at the cheese stick that’s in her hand

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

yeah i mean i don't have an actual vr helmet but i do have one of those cheapo google cardboard-esque things

its interesting dogs were mentioned really, now that i think about it both eggy and zeus would just go do something else whenever i'd use it, which admittedly wasn't very often though. neither of them beg for food and can sit literally right next to a plate without grabbing at it, but lmao i know better than to trust them while i'm effectively blindfolded

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

he'll, i stole the last few cookies from my future self yesterday

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

FMguru posted:

my favorite thing with vr headsets is that to really use one you need to clear a large space of all furniture and fragile items so you can move around and wave your arms without worry about tripping or knocking over a lamp or punching a hole in your hdtv screen, while the target audience for vr headsets is young and tech-savvy and those people overwhelmingly live in shoebox apartments in big cities, often with roommates

huh, cant imagine why they arent catching on like wildfire

and for the main sitting down uses, flight simmers need to see their dozens of buttons and switches and sim racers aren’t willing to relearn all their marks on a track just for the sake of being able to see the oval office next to you more easily

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

he sometimes tries to nab cheese sticks from my middle kid when she’s not looking at the cheese stick that’s in her hand

my dog did that to a toddler once, lol

the toddler loved it though, she started cheering

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Fear not, one of the jonyset's gimmicks is a Digital Crown™ that will let you quickly flip between blocking VR and passthrough mode so you can see your pets and furniture. We think you're going to love it

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

No Mods No Masters posted:

Fear not, one of the jonyset's gimmicks is a Digital Crown™ that will let you quickly flip between blocking VR and passthrough mode so you can see your pets and furniture. We think you're going to love it

imagine like 2” wide timbwatch wheel on the side of your skull, making hollywood movie safe box noise as you turn it

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

they would absolutely do something really loving dumb like make it a capacitive scroll wheel with haptic feedback or some poo poo

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Cold on a Cob posted:

my dog did that to a toddler once, lol

the toddler loved it though, she started cheering

yeah she sometimes will be like DOZER NO NO I WAS EATING THAT but most of the time she’ll be like “hehe dozer I love youuuuu :kimchi:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

actually has anyone tried to connect the apple tv trackpad remote to something else? lol

it seems like it would actually be pretty useful for presentations

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Beeftweeter posted:

they would absolutely do something really loving dumb like make it a capacitive scroll wheel with haptic feedback or some poo poo

head gestures

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Morse Blink volume controls

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
blink

double blink

triple blink

long blink

blink and hold

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Dying of monoxide poisoning playing Battlefield Vietnam VR before I can blink out P-A-S-S-T-H-R-O-U-G-H to see why the alarm started ringing

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

blink to pause playback

double blink for volume up

rapid double blink for 15 second rewind

shake to undo

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

vr sounds cool but it definitely isn’t as cool as the ultimate AR, Dance Dance Revolution

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
cross eyes to zoom out

wall eyes to zoom in

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Beeftweeter posted:

shake to undo
that's pizza's gone, mister

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

lol apple ar metrics falsely lead to an explosion of parkinsons diagnosis