Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

haveblue posted:

it's a clown nose for the red nose charity drive

lol they give those out for free whenever cirque du soleil is in town

got a nice little collection going

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

does comic relief still raise money through investments in tobacco and arms companies?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
there's nothing funnier than a man with a cigar holding a rocket launcher. the 80s proved it

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

The Jony Ive Red Nose even has an Apple packaging pull-tab lol

It is actually quite a well thought-out bit of design in many ways, albeit slightly over-engineered with non-existent durability. it would last about ten seconds in the hands of a child

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
ah yes quite a well thought-out bit of design, well, except for all the failures brought about by the design.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Shaggar posted:

ah yes quite a well thought-out bit of design, well, except for all the failures brought about by the design.

it's really emblematic of jony's failures as a designer: he can design really pretty things that real humans can't use without breaking.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
wait jony clown nose is real?

i honestly thought people were trolling the pos

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Last Chance posted:

it's really emblematic of jony's failures as a designer: he can design really pretty things that real humans can't use without breaking.

remember when people used to defend him and claim "FORM OVER FUNCTION ISNT REAL!!" lol

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Matinee posted:

The Jony Ive Red Nose even has an Apple packaging pull-tab lol

in fairness everyone uses these in packaging now because a pull tab to open a box is just better, doesn't make a paper nose that's probably still going to cost £5 (minimum 50p to charity) any less stupid

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

return to blister packaging

you must suffer for your consumerism

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

I've been playing with the Jony Nose all afternoon and because of the rubber bands on the hinge every time I close it it flies out of my hand. hours of fun.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

njsykora posted:

in fairness everyone uses these in packaging now because a pull tab to open a box is just better, doesn't make a paper nose that's probably still going to cost £5 (minimum 50p to charity) any less stupid

£2.50, and they're sold out

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

wait jony clown nose is real?

i honestly thought people were trolling the pos

hypersincerity. he's making fun of the things he still genuinely stands by

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
lol johnny fireball has a conspiracy theory to sell you

quote:

It sounds a bit conspirational, but for many years now it’s seemed clear to me that Hacker News has Daring Fireball in some sort of graylist. It’s not blacklisted, obviously, given the aforementioned two threads about yesterday’s piece, but nothing I write here ever gains any significant traction there. Ever. And the reason there are two threads for yesterday’s piece is that the first one disappeared from the home page soon after it was posted. I think? In this list of recent Hacker News threads for articles from DF, going back four months, only three have more than 10 comments — and two of those are the threads from yesterday. I don’t know who I pissed off there or why, but I’ve never seen an explanation for this. ↩︎

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

pundit's razor: any bad thing happening to me should be assumed to be a direct attack on me personally and not an implication that my milquetoast-rear end takes aren't that interesting

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
shadowbanning :kratos:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
reverse vampires <--> rand corporation <--> daring fireball hn "shadowban" <--> jack ruby

open your eyes, sheeple!

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
also, apple quarterly numbers are starting to roll in

quote:

Cupertino, California Apple today announced financial results for its fiscal 2023 first quarter ended December 31, 2022. The Company posted quarterly revenue of $117.2 billion, down 5 percent year over year, and quarterly earnings per diluted share of $1.88.

“As we all continue to navigate a challenging environment, we are proud to have our best lineup of products and services ever, and as always, we remain focused on the long term and are leading with our values in everything we do,” said Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO. “During the December quarter, we achieved a major milestone and are excited to report that we now have more than 2 billion active devices as part of our growing installed base.”

“We set an all-time revenue record of $20.8 billion in our Services business, and in spite of a difficult macroeconomic environment and significant supply constraints, we grew total company revenue on a constant currency basis,” said Luca Maestri, Apple’s CFO. “We generated $34 billion in operating cash flow and returned over $25 billion to shareholders during the quarter while continuing to invest in our long-term growth plans.”
down 5% compared to the previous record-setting holiday quarter

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Picked to a 2022 13” MBP to replace our slowing early 2015 MBP. Anyone have a usb hub they like? Anyone know if this one is compatible?

https://a.co/d/7YCxtRU

It’s my first computer without a USB-A connection. looking forward to replacing the adapter twice a year when I inevitably lose it.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
ime most of the hubs available on amazon are ODM designs you can also find on aliexpress (sometimes for a bit less cash)

that's not necessarily a bad thing, though. they're cheap and they work, and i haven't had one burn out on me, but it's something to keep in mind. you can usually find the ODM manufacturer's store itself on aliexpress, so if that's something that interests you i'd check it out. some of the designs are legit pretty cool and some of them aren't on amazon

the "custom" ones are not necessarily better either. the worst usb-c hub i have was made by dell. it's somehow usb 2.0 and i have never been able to get the display out functionality working on any device i'd tried

e: re: compatibility, anything should work fine. like i said that dell one doesn't properly, but that's the only one i have that does that. otherwise they all "just work", even the cheap ones

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Feb 4, 2023

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

these days amazon is just ali express with quick shipping from the states (usually) and a markup

ali express owns for things that wont kill you if theyre messed up. pedal board power supplies., headphones, stuff like that im all about gettin the good stuff straight from shenzhen

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

these days amazon is just ali express with quick shipping from the states (usually) and a markup

ali express owns for things that wont kill you if theyre messed up. pedal board power supplies., headphones, stuff like that im all about gettin the good stuff straight from shenzhen

I get all of my illegal surgical equipment from ali express

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

strong... avatar + cell carrier combo?

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

discharge your goddamn phone

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i do wonder if the ios notification system makes perfect sense if you've been along for the entire ride, like a million small changes each of which makes sense in isolation but which makes it impossible to form a mental model if you leap in right at the end.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

FMguru posted:

lol johnny fireball has a conspiracy theory to sell you

i would think being blacklisted by hacker news would be a good thing. why would you want them coming to your site?

ahhh, gruber, right.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i do wonder if the ios notification system makes perfect sense if you've been along for the entire ride, like a million small changes each of which makes sense in isolation but which makes it impossible to form a mental model if you leap in right at the end.

what’s so impossible about it

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
i wonder how bad it is to connect an apple tv to the public internet

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
not half as bad a s connecting your posts to it

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

bump_fn posted:

not half as bad a s connecting your posts to it

god drat!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Lysidas posted:

i wonder how bad it is to connect an apple tv to the public internet

probably not that bad? out of the box I think the only open ports it has are for airplay, and that's supposed to be a LAN-only service so neither it nor mdns discovery route over the internet AFAIK. all other services must be connections initiated by the apple tv

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

mdns can route over public internet but you need to set it up specifically to do so and afaik you can't easily do this on an ios device without shell access

other than that, yeah it uses the same firewall that macos does (ipfw). its fine

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Beeftweeter posted:

mdns can route over public internet but you need to set it up specifically to do so and afaik you can't easily do this on an ios device without shell access

other than that, yeah it uses the same firewall that macos does (ipfw). its fine

how do you route multicast traffic over the internet? :confused:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

how do you route multicast traffic over the internet? :confused:

you need a gateway to do it, iirc because its a layer-2 protocol

it's not something that's very common (or even really useful ime) but it was something the airport line supported for a very long time. the apple implementation was(? is?) called "wide area bonjour"

e: but wide area multicast itself isn't really that rare. i.e. 192.0.2.4 is a multicast list of servers for 6to4 translation

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Feb 8, 2023

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Beeftweeter posted:

you need a gateway to do it, iirc because its a layer-2 protocol

sure, if you build some sort of vpn on top of things you can do whatever

quote:

it's not something that's very common (or even really useful ime) but it was something the airport line supported for a very long time. the apple implementation was(? is?) called "wide area bonjour"

this just is/was the non-mdns components on bonjour involving plain old’ DNS

this mentions that not all bonjour services worked with that feature (presumably because they needed multicast)

quote:

e: but wide area multicast itself isn't really that rare. i.e. 192.0.2.4 is a multicast list of servers for 6to4 translation

192.0.2.0/24 is private, non-routeable address space on the internet and im not sure what it has to do with 6to4 translation

there ain’t no multicast going on on the public internet

Asymmetric POSTer fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Feb 8, 2023

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

oh oops, you're right, i guess i was thinking of 6over4

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc2529#section-6

i think most (probably all at this point) of the nodes got shut down though

anyway, sorry. its been a while since i had to do low-level networking stuff, but yes, you do need to use regular rear end DNS with it also

e: lol maybe it was teredo actually? idk. one of the translation mechanisms definitely had a ipv4 multicast relay list with a 192.x.x.x address

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Feb 9, 2023

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Is there a macOS app like Poke for Windows that lets me quickly search for WORD and DWORD memory values in another app and let me set (poke) them?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
a memory editor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
I don't think the OSX security model lets apps poke around in other apps memory the way Windows does.