Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

i thought if you restored one from the other, all the mail accounts transfer

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

I don’t know I just used the “set up your iPad from your iPhone” option that popped up automatically and did not do anything with my mail accounts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Lysidas posted:

ios 11 offloading apps is real good for garbage like skype which i do not usually want on my phone, but want to remember credentials for the twice a year i actually need to reinstall + use it

gj apple

i didn't know what this was and looked it up. this is p nifty, thanks apple

also itunes on the desktop has managed to become even more garbage somehow, what the gently caress, apple

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

psa: there is 1blocker x now, old has become 1blocker legacy and is more or less going eol

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

seriously can one of the apple guys itt just start rebuilding a lean music player that interfaces with apple music from the ground up? just abandon that trash fire entirely

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

graph posted:

tim ship the murdered out iphone5-style iphonese2

headphone jack in YOOL 2018? fake

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Jimmy Carter posted:

holy poo poo this post

code:
- go into app store, make sure all the apps are updated for the day
apps only auto update when you're on power and wifi so this won't do anything
code:
- kill all background/frozen apps with the long hold on the X and swipe up motion
lol do you get your battery advice from people on a subway?
this is not how multitasking works. Apps are very aggressively suspended/closed unless they go 'hey I need to finish this upload' and either hand that process off to the OS or they get a limited amount of time, and they might be killed anyways. Plus apps can spin up in the background from pushes or background app refresh. Force quitting things in springboard does not affect this and the only thing you're doing is closing any saved app state out of memory, so the next time it opens, it takes more energy. good job.
code:
- go into settings/icloud/backup and run a backup
this happens overnight in the maintenance window your phone determines by when you usually sleep. It too only happens when plugged in and on wifi, since you want to avoid draining the battery completely overnight if you forget to plug in your phone, then your alarm won't go off and you'll get fired from your job so you can no longer afford to purchase a new iPhone
code:
- wait till the backup is complete, turn off wifi manually in settings because control center is garbage 
leaving wifi on doesn't really have a negative energy usage impact, and when its on you will automatically use wifi for transmission when possible (more power efficient than cellular). When you need to get a location fix, its significantly faster and more power efficient to use wifi triangulation than to use GPS, not to mention it will improve accuracy even with GPS in cities.
code:
- swipe away settings
cool
code:
- shutdown the iphone x by holding the lock button and volume up and swipe to turn off
skip the next step
code:
- fresh boot 

most of this is incorrect or at the least misleading.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Scott Forstall posted:

headphone jack in YOOL 2018? fake

yeah, looks great so i want to believe though.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Rex-Goliath posted:

also itunes on the desktop has managed to become even more garbage somehow, what the gently caress, apple

that can't be possible, that bar is currently centered in the planet's molten iron core

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

itunes plays fine to my livingroom homepod and my bedroom appletv simultaneously and it works great. wontfix

coke
Jul 12, 2009

carry on then posted:

you forgot to mention having power saver enabled 24/7, solid B troll though
i would use it but power saver mode seem to do some fuckery with the thread prioritization that crashes or hang apps from time to time, also it's good to get the latest apple SoC and enjoy its max speed instead eg. race to sleep

also lol

quote:

After realizing that her tweet contained metadata showing it was sent from an iPhone, CNET asked for a statement from Gadot's publicist, who assured the media company on Gadot's behalf that she loved her "Huawei P20 and Mate10Pro."

The iPhone tweet was deleted and several more ads were subsequently posted from an Android phone. Gadot has been paid to be Huawei's brand ambassador since January, making her April tweet from an iPhone appear particularly sloppy for any advertising campaign.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

gal gadot loves the qualcomm snapdragon hexacore processor in the new huawei mate10pro

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

cinci zoo sniper posted:

psa: there is 1blocker x now, old has become 1blocker legacy and is more or less going eol

details about the new version here, seems pretty cool: https://backstage.1blocker.com/say-hello-to-1blocker-x-8b55efe1ae36 (side note: why does medium have an app? whatever I blocked the "open in app" button with 1Blocker lmao)

bunch of nerds were salty about this, but also the 1Blocker guy was still letting people buy the IAP paid upgrade for the old version even thought the new version was announced. that's kinda dumb.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

akadajet posted:

nothing special? my last 3 work macbooks all had weird issues about waking from sleep after being left alone for a day or more

thats weird, i typically leave mine all weekend and it starts fine every monday. does IT put a build on it, maybe theyve mucked the power state and thats being set every install?

Maximum Leader posted:

I’ve found that some apps, such as Facebook, has a noticeable impact on battery life even when in background though

ive set mine to never background refresh and disabled gps which neuters it pretty well, but it is still aggressive when open and being used

cinci zoo sniper posted:

their workaround for the filter list limits is clever and now i basically have the same number of filters available as i do in ublock

considering the value I got out of the original app I bought this one asap because it easily is one of my most functional apps

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

SO DEMANDING posted:

bunch of nerds were salty about this, but also the 1Blocker guy was still letting people buy the IAP paid upgrade for the old version even thought the new version was announced. that's kinda dumb.

i could kinda get that but the guy does good work and he has a nice lol quote about not calling indie devs greedy rear end in a top hat for wanting to get paid for their continued work, which im sure riled feathers

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Last Chance posted:

its also an option when you longpress refresh

nice discoverability you got there

for a clown

at the circus

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

idk long pressing buttons, physical or otherwise has always been a thing on apple devices. just sorta used to it

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Agile Vector posted:

i could kinda get that but the guy does good work and he has a nice lol quote about not calling indie devs greedy rear end in a top hat for wanting to get paid for their continued work, which im sure riled feathers

not offering an upgrade discount kinda sucks, but iirc apple makes that really difficult and he offered a discounted launch price for everyone so whatever. dude's gotta eat.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

jony neuemonic posted:

not offering an upgrade discount kinda sucks, but iirc apple makes that really difficult and he offered a discounted launch price for everyone so whatever. dude's gotta eat.

yeah, i figured hed do one of those 'complete the bundle' workarounds but buying at a discount is okay. Apple really does make it hard for no real reason and ive seen several apps that tried to tackle this is never the same way and with mixed results

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Agile Vector posted:

yeah, i figured hed do one of those 'complete the bundle' workarounds but buying at a discount is okay. Apple really does make it hard for no real reason and ive seen several apps that tried to tackle this is never the same way and with mixed results

if they allowed paid upgrades on the same app a bunch of scammy companies would use it to sell apps for 99 cents then charge $20 for upgrades. it's bad that companies can't do it but if you look at the way apps are sold it makes sense

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Apple's upcoming 6.1-inch LCD iPhone may not feature 3D Touch due to cost constraints, according to a new note shared yesterday by KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo and published by Chinese site Feng.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

cinci zoo sniper posted:

cinci sometimes I think you are my doppelgänger because I have also discovered this same fact at the same time I got a new ipad

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Linguica posted:

Apple's upcoming 6.1-inch LCD iPhone may not feature 3D Touch due to cost constraints, according to a new note shared yesterday by KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo and published by Chinese site Feng.

it’s already annoying enough having to adjust to the non-3D touch iPad keyboard goddamn

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

monthly reminder that firefox focus is free

no, not the browser. don't use that.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
disable background refresh on every third party app unless you really care about it. it is a pointless battery drain.

especially do this for Facebook, which is notorious for abusing this. in fact aggressively deny Facebook every permission you can

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

it’s already annoying enough having to adjust to the non-3D touch iPad keyboard goddamn

is it though? i think 3d touch is kind of neat but it's hardly a revelatory feature that you can't go back from. main killer feature is trackpad keyboard which is also present on ipad

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

do you miss out on many first party apple things if you disable background refresh entirely? or is it just stuff like news

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:
if the se2 ends up being real I will preorder it

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Tatsujin posted:

if the se2 ends up being real I will preorder it

hell, same

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Last Chance posted:

do you miss out on many first party apple things if you disable background refresh entirely? or is it just stuff like news

it's useful for uh.. maps. that's about it. you don't need constant updates for your social whatevers

HAIL eSATA-n fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Apr 26, 2018

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Last Chance posted:

only stuff like news, the built-in weather app, maps, etc. will be affected. icloud will still work regardless.

i only leave it on for a few apps. i kinda wish apple hadn't created background app refresh at all, since so few app developers can be trusted not to abuse it, and i don't care if it takes a few seconds for the latest ContentTM to load, and so it becomes one more thing i have to janitor on my phone.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Last Chance posted:

I have never had that enabled on any of my devices and it never cropped up as an issue

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Generic Monk posted:

is it though? i think 3d touch is kind of neat but it's hardly a revelatory feature that you can't go back from. main killer feature is trackpad keyboard which is also present on ipad

the long press cursor thing is super for editing text imo

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

rip airport product line, tim decided if you can't make 30% at hundreds of millions of units it's better to abandon your users to a bunch of android shitware routers that get owned en masse several times a year

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

qirex posted:

rip airport product line, tim decided if you can't make 30% at hundreds of millions of units it's better to abandon your users to a bunch of android shitware routers that get owned en masse several times a year

airport team has been disbanded for at least 3 years.

there goes the backup system that just worked and didn’t require a subscription

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
but who needs time machine when you have icloud, right?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I’ve been planning on getting a NAS for a few years anyway, most of them support time machine

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

qirex posted:

I’ve been planning on getting a NAS for a few years anyway, most of them support time machine

illmatic is good

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

jony neuemonic posted:

It doesn’t suck at all, you’re just cheap.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

that can't be possible, that bar is currently centered in the planet's molten iron core

it straight up pauses at random now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Endless Mike posted:

gal gadot loves the qualcomm snapdragon hexacore processor in the new huawei mate10pro