Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
apple is kinda bad about forcing siri these days

i will never speak to a computer and it will never be allowed to speak to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
indexing is a gently caress

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

infernal machines posted:

yeah that siri poo poo was also putting a gig of what i assume is 500,000 1k files in time machine every hour making backups crank all the loving time as well

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

graph posted:

it's like i have a brand new computer again

amazing. thanks tim

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

infernal machines posted:

graph posted:

34786538583475 load average

Mar 28, 2024

Somebody fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Mar 28, 2024

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
roll that beautiful load footage

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

roll that beautiful load footage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRlEJKJoBMc

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
https://www.macrumors.com/2024/03/28/apple-sues-former-employee-for-alleged-leaking/

lmao. hope the online cred was worth it

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

being friends with mark gurman can't possibly be this appealing

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
lmao he did it on his work iphone

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

mediaphage posted:

they should just sue him for being a dumbass

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

mediaphage posted:

he did it on his work iphone multiple times over a five-year period

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

if jobs were alive that guy would have been crucified out front of the doughnut the day it opened

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

leaking the boring rear end journal app of all things

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

might as well have leaked the numbers release notes

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

If you have impostor syndrome of whether you could work at the house that timb built, well surely you're smarter than that guy

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

No Mods No Masters posted:

If you have impostor syndrome of whether you could work at the house that timb built, well surely you're smarter than that guy

in the good ol days all you needed to do was to tell jobs you weren't a virgin

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

some one pointed this out in the comments. dude has a history.

https://www.wsj.com/video/the-kid-who-tweeted-facebook-messenger-payment-code/BA6E6E6C-6029-4594-8CF0-3B6E05D81F27

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/feb/22/apple-vs-fbi-engineers-breaking-encryption-unholy

maybe guy has loaded parents or has some hosed up mental issues to be so reckless and total career suicide

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

goddamn i love macrumors posters, the most cut-off-their-nose-to-spite-their-face users on the internet

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/oregons-new-right-to-repair-law-bans-parts-pairing-restrictions.2423051/

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

can you summarize I’m not reading that

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Branch Nvidian posted:

goddamn i love macrumors posters, the most cut-off-their-nose-to-spite-their-face users on the internet

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/oregons-new-right-to-repair-law-bans-parts-pairing-restrictions.2423051/

i can't tell if you support or oppose the bill, the macrumors posters seem pretty split

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Pinterest Mom posted:

i can't tell if you support or oppose the bill, the macrumors posters seem pretty split

i support the bill. the posters that are opposed to it are hysterical

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
yeah I'm not sure which posts you're referring to, I skimmed it and there seem to be an equal number of "good, gently caress apple profiteering, this will make repairs easier and cheaper" and "bad, every phone that has ever been repaired is potentially compromised now"

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Last Chance posted:

can you summarize I’m not reading that

oregon passed a right to repair bill that prevents OEMs from parts pairing. apple uses parts pairing that disables features like truetone on the screen if you replace the screen without going through them or using their self-repair service

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

to be clear, it's the posts about how this means china, russia, and the nsa are going to hack everyone's phones

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
I Ike this part where technicians are going to be certified by some authority. Really want to see that test.

quote:

It does have consumer protections, such as requiring independent repair shops to have a "valid and unexpired certification" ensuring the person doing the repair has the "technical capabilities and competence necessary" to make a successful fix.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Branch Nvidian posted:

to be clear, it's the posts about how this means china, russia, and the nsa are going to hack everyone's phones

they are going to HACK my iphone made entirely of questionable OEM parts

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

quote:

If a repair shop is allowed to use non-Apple parts for repairs on Apple products, then they should be required to remove the Apple logo from the device. A device with an Apple logo containing non-Apple certified internals is misleading.

They should also not be allowed to run Apple's iOS or macOS, and must run on open-source alternatives like Android and Linux.

quote:

Theft is the problem When you see all those YouTube repair videos. 90% at least are from stolen sources.
"RIGHT TO REPAIR?" OR "THE RIGHT TO STEAL?"

quote:

Ah yes, can’t wait to see people complain about their new battery from Temu and their screens from Wish. If you’re poor just say so, go buy a $2 android, that’s why those phones are still being made.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

plainly ignoring that you can still just go to apple to have your stuff repaired. it's like with the whole side-loading thing in the EU, the posters on MR were losing their minds about how they don't want to side-load, as if they're going to now be forced to do that

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
Yeah I’d be pretty annoyed if I bought a used iPhone and it had like a palm pilot display wedged in there but if that’s makes it through apples refurb process I don’t think I’ll blame Oregon.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
sure but some of us have to provide tech support for non-technical family and friends so having the app store, for all it's many flaws, is a net boon

third party app stores also increase the chance that a lot of software we use will end up exclusively on third party app stores or migrated into super-apps (though the devil is in the details on this)

so it's not just about our choices vOv

(and to be clear, i'm not saying i love the status quo either, i just recognize the trade-offs)

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

get that last guy an account

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Branch Nvidian posted:

effectively prohibiting checking for a mitm attack between the soc and biometric authentication circuitry is not good

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

« impeded its ability to “surprise and delight” »

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

mediaphage posted:

doesn't apple famously discourage employees from having an appleID separate from the one they use for work? not that that makes him any less stupid for doing it that way

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Clark Nova posted:

doesn't apple famously discourage employees from having an appleID separate from the one they use for work? not that that makes him any less stupid for doing it that way

yeah and the idiots often follow along

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
iirc that was a dogfooding/test data measure, but it also does help for tracking leaks so yeah

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

hobbesmaster posted:

effectively prohibiting checking for a mitm attack between the soc and biometric authentication circuitry is not good

yeah that's the main issue with lots of the discussion around "parts pairing" - a lot of the activists seem to be blissfully unaware that some things they decry as pairing are actually security/privacy features or calibration (eg the truetone thing mentioned up there? probably a calibration thing)

should we make apple improve? yes absolutely, for example give us access to the software required to perform calibration. and let society decide what kind of tradeoff we want to make between "thieves can part everything out" and "device is end-user repairable", rather than leaving it up to corporations to decide

but also we shouldn't be preventing them from building strong user-oriented security features in the name of right to repair. (though I'm sure some TLAs would like that)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

BobHoward posted:

yeah that's the main issue with lots of the discussion around "parts pairing" - a lot of the activists seem to be blissfully unaware that some things they decry as pairing are actually security/privacy features or calibration (eg the truetone thing mentioned up there? probably a calibration thing)

i probably would be part of the activists if I didn’t work in embedded and know that this level of integration is required for a variety of functional, security and safety features. it’s shocking how many non genuine or incorrect spec parts end up in the supply chain and can cause issues from degraded performance (as you say with calibration) to causing fires (batteries/charge circuitry). like, we’re all way too casual about how most of spend the majority of our days with what amounts to a small bomb in our hands or in our pockets. the manufacturer needs ways to ensure that their product is made safely and to spec and this is one of the best ways to do it and it has the bonus of increased security

but then, if you buy something you should have the right to break it and do whatever you want. but does a manufacturer have to put extra effort in to let you do that if it’s easier to just go into a design safe state if everything doesn’t look right?