Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

lancemantis posted:

also what’s the temperature of chicken is broken English as gently caress and you didn’t nearly get what you deserved

I said for not of you fuckin illiterate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

jit bull transpile posted:

glad to kno toxic masculinity has taken over eating a chicken breast

what activity can't be turned into a macho pissing exercise, truly a marvel

lol

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

caring about flavor and texture in food is for tough guys

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Sagebrush posted:

i remember a whole thing a while back where if you asked google "how long does it take to caramelize onions" it would tell you "5 to 8 minutes" because some popular food blog initially posted that incorrect figure (it's more like half an hour),, and everyone writing their own recipes googled it and reused that bad data, and then google itself picked up on the consensus and inserted it into their assistant database, and well, now it's just a known fact that you can caramelize onions in 5 minutes. not working? you must be doing it wrong

i remember this too, op

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

fart simpson posted:

caring about flavor and texture in food is for tough guys

patriarchy keeping overcooked chicken down

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

eschaton posted:

I have it on good authority that chicken sashimi is v good

I always wanted a thing call Tuna Sashimi

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
voice assistants suck because they are less discoverable than long press options and cursor hovering tool tips. also the voice recognition always assumes it got the thing you wanted to do right and it's impossible to correct it. or maybe it is possible to correct it, but again, the option is not discoverable.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
tbf, that's because the other end of that kind of interaction is prompting for confirmation after every step, and trust me, that's a lot worse

i knew a guy with a cadillac that had their 1st gen voice command system, right around the time siri launched. it prompted for confirmation of every single command, including the ones that required you to go multiple layers deep in menus. there was no other way to interact with most of the functions either, so i hope you feel like spending 30 minutes talking to your car to pair a phone, and at least two or three every time you want to make a phone call after that.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

the siri founder was allowed to do a magic trick on penn and teller fool us for some loving reason and he just seemed like an idiot who's been sheltered from that reality by his money and hangers-on for his entire life. he wasn't even particularly articulate like a jobs or cook so i have no idea how the gently caress he led an organization.

and siri is awful. the other day i was cooking chicken and wanted to double check the temp so i said "hey siri what's the temperature for chicken?" and got the weather for Chicken, Arkansas.

lmao

Chris Knight posted:

I've never used a Siri

i have it disabled so it doesn't make that loud DI-DING if i press the home button for 0.001 seconds too long

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

i have it disabled so it doesn't make that loud DI-DING if i press the home button for 0.001 seconds too long
i don't think it's done this since the ios 8

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
actually now I think about it I haven’t accidentally brought up voice control since they removed the home button so good work I guess

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
you can cook chicken to 165 or w/e and still have it not be a dried out turd, u just have to marinate it properly and cook it fast.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Shaggar posted:

you can cook chicken to 165 or w/e and still have it not be a dried out turd, u just have to marinate it properly and cook it fast.

you can also safely cook it at 145°F

turns out there's no one "temperature for chicken"

https://www.seriouseats.com/2015/07/the-food-lab-complete-guide-to-sous-vide-chicken-breast.html

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Last Chance posted:

i don't think it's done this since the ios 8

i wouldn't know since i have it disabled

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

glad to kno toxic masculinity has taken over eating a chicken breast

what activity can't be turned into a macho pissing exercise, truly a marvel

a lot of the my temperature is lower than yours crap seemed to start about the time that sous vide took off. totally is a make cooking acceptably masculine by making it sciencey thing.

Sagebrush posted:

i remember a whole thing a while back where if you asked google "how long does it take to caramelize onions" it would tell you "5 to 8 minutes" because some popular food blog initially posted that incorrect figure (it's more like half an hour),, and everyone writing their own recipes googled it and reused that bad data, and then google itself picked up on the consensus and inserted it into their assistant database, and well, now it's just a known fact that you can caramelize onions in 5 minutes. not working? you must be doing it wrong

I'm pretty sure that ever since cookbooks started including total prep times 90% of cookbooks have claimed caramelizing onions takes much less time than it actually does.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
just ordered a 2018 15-inch pro (16/512). hope it's not trash.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
I just paid 1500 bucks on this ball-grinding-up machine hopefully it will feel really good lol

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Shifty Pony posted:

a lot of the my temperature is lower than yours crap seemed to start about the time that sous vide took off. totally is a make cooking acceptably masculine by making it sciencey thing.

I'm pretty sure that ever since cookbooks started including total prep times 90% of cookbooks have claimed caramelizing onions takes much less time than it actually does.

that dudes takedown of the onion bullshit is a classic, but I always remember it as way more shrill than it actually is

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

I just paid 1500 bucks on this ball-grinding-up machine hopefully it will feel really good lol

actually it was $2599 and it is supposed to replace my dearly departed 4gb/256 Air, buddy.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

actually it was $2599 and it is supposed to replace my dearly departed 4gb/256 Air, buddy.

how much did you have to pay for a docking station and/or dongles

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

https://mjtsai.com/blog/2018/10/11/mac-sales-down-in-q3-2018-amid-a-lack-of-updates/

quote:

The iMac was updated in June 2017 and still has a defective processor.

https://mjtsai.com/blog/2017/06/27/bug-in-skylake-and-kaby-lake-hyper-threading/

it continues to astound me how apple can't even do the bare minimum of putting current processors in their machines.

do they pay intel to keep an old fab open so they can still crank out haswell processors for the mac mini?

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

I have one of the official Apple usb-c av multiport adapters that I bought used like two years ago for my 12-inch, so like ... $30?

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

usually I get all the docking and dongles I need off craigslist casual encounters, for free

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

just ordered a 2018 15-inch pro (16/512). hope it's not trash.

it will be hot enough to cook chicken and or caramelize onions

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Stringent posted:

patriarchy keeping overcooked chicken down

this is why I leave cooking to the womenfolk.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

Chris Knight posted:

it will be hot enough to cook chicken and or caramelize onions

good

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

https://mjtsai.com/blog/2018/10/11/mac-sales-down-in-q3-2018-amid-a-lack-of-updates/

https://mjtsai.com/blog/2017/06/27/bug-in-skylake-and-kaby-lake-hyper-threading/

it continues to astound me how apple can't even do the bare minimum of putting current processors in their machines.

do they pay intel to keep an old fab open so they can still crank out haswell processors for the mac mini?

do they actually continue to manufacture new mac minis or do they just have a warehouse full of them somewhere?

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
the new ones are actually raspberry pis

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Cocoa Crispies posted:

you can also safely cook it at 145°F

turns out there's no one "temperature for chicken"

https://www.seriouseats.com/2015/07/the-food-lab-complete-guide-to-sous-vide-chicken-breast.html

actually the temperature for chicken on 2018-10-12 is a high of 44*F/6*C

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

can we just agree that "what's the temperature to cook chicken" is a much better phrasing and jit's is ambiguous out of context -- and also contemporary NLP systems are all total garbage

like, when i use the dictation feature on my phone google will randomly capitalize words in the middle of the sentence. for a while i thought it was just doing proper nouns, then i thought it was picking up on brand names and auto-capitalizing them (e.g. "this 3d printer filament is a Great Value"), then i thought maybe it was related to my intonation, but after months of doing there's literally no pattern. it's just s-t-u-p-i-d

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

can we just agree that "what's the temperature to cook chicken" is a much better phrasing and jit's is ambiguous out of context -- and also contemporary NLP systems are all total garbage

like, when i use the dictation feature on my phone google will randomly capitalize words in the middle of the sentence. for a while i thought it was just doing proper nouns, then i thought it was picking up on brand names and auto-capitalizing them (e.g. "this 3d printer filament is a Great Value"), then i thought maybe it was related to my intonation, but after months of doing there's literally no pattern. it's just s-t-u-p-i-d

they're only as smart as the user FYI

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
congrats on giving ur ai schizoaffective disorder

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

infernal machines posted:

congrats on giving ur ai schizoaffective disorder

is this what that jeffrey guy has been posting about?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

someone made a siri posting workflow

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

infernal machines posted:

congrats on giving ur ai prodromal schizophrenia

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Sagebrush posted:

yeah they're really stupid and idk why anyone uses them

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
god I just realized there must be Siri/Alexa/Google Assistant partisans and they constantly argue over which garbage tool developed primarily to separate you from your money is good actually

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
why do nerds use 90% of the poo poo they use; how the hell is amazons echo and related devices a viable product; etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
lol its a mansplain gang bang itt