Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I disagree

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

:ssj:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

they all have headphone jacks it's just a question of if you need an adapter for your old style analog device

it's okay to use one

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
it doesn't break the phone

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

a dongle for sound

incredible

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

syscall girl posted:

they all have headphone jacks it's just a question of if you need an adapter for your old style analog device

it's okay to use one

Headphones are always analog.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Lambert posted:

Headphones are always analog.

>_<

there should be a name for this but not fishmeched, iirc elder postman was going on about how CDs are analog too

everything is analog it's just atoms bumping into each other

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

extremely good user interface

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

jony.heif

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

its so bad

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

syscall girl posted:

>_<

there should be a name for this but not fishmeched, iirc elder postman was going on about how CDs are analog too

But they are analog? CDs, on the other hand, aren't analog. How do you think speakers work.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

android has been handling landscape mode text messaging like this since like version 1.6. way to catch up crappleailures

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

i keep seeing the ad for the pixel 3 where you can choose from a series of photos within a span of a few seconds before and after you hit the shutter button. to me this is a better design than holding down the shutter button on an iphone (because people will often not think of doing this) and a more useful idea than live photos. wonder if apple will copy it

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

wish apple would copy android notifications and the back button

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

the talent deficit posted:

Genius Apple designers did, but only when an app opens an app, and then only accessible from the most difficult corner to reach.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Lambert posted:

But they are analog? CDs, on the other hand, aren't analog. How do you think speakers work.

i get it but the essential thing is that new iphones lack the internal DAC

which is why i feel like I'm falling for something here

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

you want buttons on phones again?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

there is no such thing as analog on an iphone. your DAC is just taking an encoded number and converting it to one of many discrete voltage values, possibly running it through a filter network to smooth it out a bit but that's no better than blurring a pixelated image to smear out the steps

you want analog, take a transistor tape recorder and record the music yourself

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
laserdisc is an analog format

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Wild EEPROM posted:

laserdisc is an analog format

only if the entire production chain, from film scanning to eventual display on your screen, uses purely analog electronic parts. if you have a digital processor in there you're looking at a digital signal

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

there is no such thing as analog on an iphone. your DAC is just taking an encoded number and converting it to one of many discrete voltage values, possibly running it through a filter network to smooth it out a bit but that's no better than blurring a pixelated image to smear out the steps

you want analog, take a transistor tape recorder and record the music yourself

right?

it's like Garfield w/o Garfield in here

but fishmech

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Good Sphere posted:

i keep seeing the ad for the pixel 3 where you can choose from a series of photos within a span of a few seconds before and after you hit the shutter button. to me this is a better design than holding down the shutter button on an iphone (because people will often not think of doing this) and a more useful idea than live photos. wonder if apple will copy it

windows phone did that by default.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Kobayashi posted:

Genius Apple designers did, but only when an app opens an app, and then only accessible from the most difficult corner to reach.

iOS is trash and I really miss windows phone.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Good Sphere posted:

that's exactly how live photos have worked since release

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

if you press "Edit" on a live photo, there's a scrubber bar where you can change the "key photo" to one of the other live photo frames

the pixel ad I keep getting is "flip to shh" which has also been a feature on iphones since forever lol

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

syscall girl posted:

given how lovely gestures are for usability, yeah i do

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

given how lovely gestures are for usability, yeah i do

i got no dog in this fight

buttons ahoy but seems like this is not happening

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

THC posted:

if you press "Edit" on a live photo, there's a scrubber bar where you can change the "key photo" to one of the other live photo frames

the pixel ad I keep getting is "flip to shh" which has also been a feature on iphones since forever lol

like most new phone features it is actually a component manufacturer feature, in that both apple and google use sony sensors which embed memory to enable the "pick the best picture" thing

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

syscall girl posted:

i got no dog in this fight

buttons ahoy but seems like this is not happening

i have no illusions we'll ever get buttons back, but i think anyone who thinks gestures beat buttons is a stockholm syndromed apple taint licker

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

i have no illusions we'll ever get buttons back, but i think anyone who thinks gestures beat buttons is a stockholm syndromed apple taint licker

it's always the same poo poo, we'd all point and laugh when bby and android users had to deal with it, but now apple does it too so it's just the best gosh darn thing ever

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user

syscall girl posted:

Coming 2024: Apple iTelephone. A supplemental device for Apple Phone that is revolutionary in its simplicity: a 6.9mm thick milled (recycled) aluminum device built only for phone calls. Featuring Butterfly Key-assisted physical buttons and Retina Dot View display for caller ID.

$20/month to add to your current Verizon line.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

syscall girl posted:

>_<

that was none other than nbsd

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

fart simpson posted:

that was none other than nbsd

oh yeah

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Lambert posted:

It's not, it's much too small. Phones are for browsing, nowadays - a tinyphone is not very useful in that respect. It also makes text input needlessly hard.

gently caress

ing

lmao

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
hello apple? i have hamhocks for hands and entering text on your keyboard is difficult and frustrating, furthermore...

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
swiftkey worked so badly on my mini and so well on my phone

never be lifting

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
Well I’m a page late but happy thanksgiving and please remember that existentialism is just teenage angst, with nothing of value to contribute beyond a particular style of literary fiction. It doesn’t deserve to be considered a meaningful addition to philosophy, much like the rest of the European continent’s “contributions” post-Kant

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

lol ur so wrong and now you look silly

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

like even if you wanna poo poo on the continental tradition you’re still wrong, but less wrong, but discounting an entire continent is uhhhhhhhhh p goofy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

a dongle for sound

courageous