Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

im the whooshing assumption that apple pay is available in latvia, country where you can not legally create a sony playstation network account

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

the uk is generally pretty backward when it comes to this kind of stuff, but even we don't have to top up apple pay? it works at pretty much every establishment with more than a few employees and probably 3/4s of the ubiquitous independent convenience stores run by a surly british-pakistani man. i run into more places that are cash only than those that have a card machine that doesn't support apple pay

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

cinci zoo sniper posted:

im the whooshing assumption that apple pay is available in latvia, country where you can not legally create a sony playstation network account

yes, we get it, latvia is a weird, edge case country, but that has nothing to do with apple pay.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Endless Mike posted:

you do not have to "top up" apple pay unless that's some weird latvian thing. it works like any other contactless payment. it does need to be suppored by your bank though, yes.

europeens are weird about credit

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

im the everyone who didn't get that "top up" was just an example of one of common ways how these systems work, meant to imply that there is no loving way uk or whoever else in european economic area may have apple pay working in full bypass of the banking system. there's no way for me to know how exactly it could work in uk or wherever else since i dont live in an european country where banks support apple pay, or own an iphone for that matter at all

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

ill gladly top you baby, PM me

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

what paypal has done to operate normally here, for example, is get a full banking licence

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

ill gladly top you baby, PM me

best/worst post-av combo, not sure

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i guess my plan failed when i didnt anticipate thorough scrutiny of a technical metaphor whereby your real money has to be somehow linked to payment service provider

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Doc Block posted:

yes, we get it, latvia is a weird, edge case country, but that has nothing to do with apple pay.

Latvia has 2 million people in it, most of which earn less than the price of an iPhone per month. dealing with banking regulations and government bureaucracy to get an additional 12 apple pay customers is probably pretty low in the apple priority list.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i guess my plan failed when i didnt anticipate thorough scrutiny of a technical metaphor whereby your real money has to be somehow linked to payment service provider

in most countries, apple pay is 100% identical to using the card that you associate it with. it's a credit or debit card

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

cinci zoo sniper posted:

yeah in the uk it has to be approved by your bank. i think the lack of scrutiny just stems from adoption of contactless payments being so widespread in the uk, the support from banks being pretty much ubiquitous, and the activation process to tie apple pay to your account seamless enough that most uk users of apple pay just view contactless payments and apple pay as synonymous. i guess

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

The Management posted:

Latvia has 2 million people in it, most of which earn less than the price of an iPhone per month. dealing with banking regulations and government bureaucracy to get an additional 12 apple pay customers is probably pretty low in the apple priority list.

its low on everyone's list, more or less. from big american internet things, we're first class citizens only with microsoft and paypal.

nothing surprising about it though, and not sure how that fact is relevant to this discussion, or why did doc block post that at all

and yeah average salary is 925 euro before tax, so you can buy a 32gb iphone 7 with an average monthly salary

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

The Management posted:

in most countries, apple pay is 100% identical to using the card that you associate it with. it's a credit or debit card

yes, and you link it with bank. it doesn't exist in its own special vacuum like bump_fn's post implied, which i dismissed as a notion (causing this ruckus)

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

we have 70 minutes, enough to squeeze another misguided argument, before my ostrich pizza arrives

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

cinci zoo sniper posted:

yes, and you link it with bank. it doesn't exist in its own special vacuum like bump_fn's post implied, which i dismissed as a notion (causing this ruckus)

i don't really infer that from his post. all he was saying was that you can use a phone with apple pay enabled to pay at any payment terminal that has the contactless payment symbol, as with contactless cards

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Generic Monk posted:

i don't really infer that from his post. all he was saying was that you can use a phone with apple pay enabled to pay at any payment terminal that has the contactless payment symbol, as with contactless cards

that was in reply to a post complaing about starbucks being the only point accepting apple pay, not being technically capable to accept apple pay, so i inferred the practical use, not technical possibility

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

The Management posted:

europeens are weird about credit
ftfy

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
lol @ latvia bein weird about banks

apple pay is just another vendor for sending credit card info, you dont have an “account” to top up, it is not a bank.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

cinci zoo sniper posted:

what paypal has done to operate normally here, for example, is get a full banking licence

paypal probably had to get a banking license (and should have to have one everywhere) because they act like a bank, not just a payment system provider.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

that was in reply to a post complaing about starbucks being the only point accepting apple pay, not being technically capable to accept apple pay, so i inferred the practical use, not technical possibility

in the USA, contactless cards themselves are rare, and EMV/chip card payments are relatively new. the only places that don't take apple pay are ones that don't take contactless payments at all or that have gone out of their way to not work with Apple Pay, like Wal Mart.

so Phoenixan was probably commenting more that there are still places in Utah that don't take contactless payments, because any retailer that can accept contactless payments can accept apple pay. hell, i remember reading about how when apple pay came out it Just Worked at Rite Aid, which caused Rite Aid to panic and totally shut off contactless payments at their registers because they were participating in a competing payment system (they later turned contactless payments back on).

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

C.H.O.M.E posted:

lol @ latvia bein weird about banks

apple pay is just another vendor for sending credit card info, you dont have an “account” to top up, it is not a bank.

cool

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Doc Block posted:

paypal probably had to get a banking license (and should have to have one everywhere) because they act like a bank, not just a payment system provider.

in the USA, contactless cards themselves are rare, and EMV/chip card payments are relatively new. the only places that don't take apple pay are ones that don't take contactless payments at all or that have gone out of their way to not work with Apple Pay, like Wal Mart.

so Phoenixan was probably commenting more that there are still places in Utah that don't take contactless payments, because any retailer that can accept contactless payments can accept apple pay. hell, i remember reading about how when apple pay came out it Just Worked at Rite Aid, which caused Rite Aid to panic and totally shut off contactless payments at their registers because they were participating in a competing payment system (they later turned contactless payments back on).

i keep forgetting you guys can't just.upgrade your infrastructure for new things, or even not so new things. big western european nations have similar problems with internet connectivity

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
apple pay is rightly restricted because of the wisdom and decree of DOOM!

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
really never gets old for me

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Doc Block posted:

rite aid and walgreens both take apple pay

hell, the little hole-in-the-wall grocery store in my little town of less than 3000 people in western colorado takes apple pay. if they can do it then there's no excuse for other stores not to.

i just assume that any retailer in nz that can do what we call pay wave (where your visa etc card works via proximity and automatically works without a pin or anything) will take apple pay

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
just not every bank offers it. mine does, i just need a newer phone :qq:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Kenny Logins posted:

really never gets old for me

my eyes just glaze over it since ive not read a single superhero comic in my life

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

my eyes just glaze over it since ive not read a single superhero comic in my life
nor have i but pull the other one, forums user named for an American internet meme and with a pixel graphics jumping mushroom sprite av

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

actually wait I did have a tpb of 70s X-men I read over and over as a kiddo, which I bought when I saw at mardens

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

It’s incredible how Gruber can talk for 30 minutes about high Sierra critical bugs and still say nothing bad about Apple

A true pro

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

cinci zoo sniper posted:

how loving rich are you, by latvian standards

apple pay is a pretty uhhhh 1st world problem

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

cinci zoo sniper posted:

RIIIIICHAAAAAAARDS!!!

The Puppet Master
Apr 9, 2005

Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard.

there is no apple pay in the netherlands probably because ever single bank issues a contactles card when you open an account

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
so the same as the uk then, despite most banks also having Apple Pay?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
and canada, we've had contactless payment for like five years from every bank and all credit cards. we also have apple pay wherever someone feels like supporting it

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

apple pay works anywhere contactless payments are accepted in canada

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

how loving rich are you, by latvian standards

apple pay is a pretty uhhhh 1st world problem
i can afford apple stuff. not the very best every year or refresh, but nonetheless.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

THC posted:

apple pay works anywhere contactless payments are accepted in canada

it works anywhere that supports contactless since it's no different than waving any other nfc card over the terminal. even if you are in an "unsupported" country where the local banks don't have agreements for their cards to work with it, you can still use your foreign cards via apple pay. cinci can't use it with his latvian potato card since the banks have no agreement with apple, but i can wave my iphone over contactless terminals there with american cards and it will work.

then you have lovely companies like walmart who specifically disable the contactless readers on their payment terminals to promote their own terrible qr-code based payment system

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

finally someone did get what i was meaning huh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
over here visa etc payments cost the shop owner a small % on each sale whereas non-visa payments (normal EFTPOS bank card ones) don't have a charge

the new visa debit cards that work with normal accounts and not credit accounts do NOT make this surcharge occur, UNLESS done with paywave/contactless

so a lot of shops disable it otherwise they have to pay credit card like fees on almost all transactions