Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.
magic mouse is necessary for macos because window management relies heavily on gestures to be even remotely tolerable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Imagine using an OS where you always have to activate a window first before being able to interact with it. It's like large monitors/multiple monitors don't exist at Apple.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
the mighty mouse was pretty tight with the xy axis scroll ball for browsing the web at 1024x768.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Lambert posted:

Imagine using an OS where you always have to activate a window first before being able to interact with it. It's like large monitors/multiple monitors don't exist at Apple.

i use 3 27" displays and it's fine. also you're thinking of windows, which required a hack to scroll non active windows for years lol. wizmouse ftw!

inactive window scrolling and actions work fine in macos since.. leopard i think? 2007?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Nope, I'm thinking of mac os where you have to add an extra click to activate inactive windows before being able to interact with them. You've just gotten used to a bad OS, the same reason you're using a tragic mouse.

Bringing up some Windows failings from the annals of history won't save the mac.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

no, i think webviews might do that in macos, which is the preferred behavior. i just paused a video in an inactive window on a secondary screen in macos and it was fine.

and i just changed to a different tab in safari without a second click. hmm. do you use computers on a regular basis?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

echinopsis posted:

more like crapitalism

:vince:

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
"Inconsistent behavior is the preferred behavior"

Now I've heard it all.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Click-through should work always and everywhere, defending bad os design choices is sad.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

nah, preventing accidental clicks on weird websites that may capture click events and do god knows what is a good call.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Last Chance posted:

nah, preventing accidental clicks on weird websites that may capture click events and do god knows what is a good call.

It might give you an excuse for your posting, though?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Last Chance posted:

Why is it good that sometimes, a single click will suffice and other times I need to double click? Your explanation makes 0 sense. If I don't want a website to "capture click events and do god knows what", I can always click inactive window chrome.

If clicking on websites is so dangerous in general, maybe apple should disable internet access for the few people left using macs os.

Schadenboner posted:

It might give you an excuse for your posting, though?

Sorry your feelings are hurt

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Lambert posted:

Sorry your feelings are hurt

You weren’t the one getting ranked-upon by my excessively sick burn though, hth?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Schadenboner posted:

You weren’t the one getting ranked-upon by my excessively sick burn though, hth?

Oh, wow. Maybe I should finally learn to read! I apologize for getting things wrong.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
it took me a good 10 to 15 seconds of futile scrabbling at the bottom of my work iphone's home screen to bring up control center

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!
i saw a comment on an article about wwdc speculating that the wait for the mac pro is because apple is negotiating with other manufacturers to create clones because apple doesn't feel like making one themselves

can't wait for the umax pro

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

i saw a comment on an article about wwdc speculating that the wait for the mac pro is because apple is negotiating with other manufacturers to create clones because apple doesn't feel like making one themselves

gently caress yeah

do it timb. bring the loving 90s back

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.
but stebe said no more clones! :(

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

it makes sense to transition macos into a licensing business and then sell it off. why should a cellphone company waste time on a dying legacy desktop os?

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
What does a services and financial engineering business need with a hardware division?

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

gonna spin off the x64 macos in the full transition to arm

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
it's great because the transition to arm makes absolutely no sense in a universe where apple is licensing clones

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

"transition to arm" != "create a version of the dying legacy desktop macos that runs on arm"
"transition to arm" == "only sell devices that run ios"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

oh, word

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Switzerland posted:

but stebe said no more clones! :(

over his dead body?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Soricidus posted:

over his dead body?
lol

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Soricidus posted:

over his dead body?

lol

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

nah, in Timbs apple something like that would have leaked five minutes after the first OEM meeting

we can dream though

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
Tim is ex IBM and partnered with them in 2014 so get ready for rack-able Power 9 MacPro

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
So wait... from articles I'm reading, Apple "fixed" the shiotty mbp keyboards, but aren't telling anyone how they fixed them and are offering a replacement program for them from day 1.

wat

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Finster Dexter posted:

So wait... from articles I'm reading, Apple "fixed" the shiotty mbp keyboards, but aren't telling anyone how they fixed them and are offering a replacement program for them from day 1.

wat

new materials

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Finster Dexter posted:

wat

the "fix" (their fourth try at this) is new materials like sniep said, but you'll only get that as a replacement if you have the third gen keyboard (with the membrane underneath)

if you have the first or second gen keyboard you're still poo poo out of luck

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
so they saw how microsoft was so successful with making everyone a beta tester for their cheap nagware unwillingly, so they one-upped them by doing the same thing but with expensive hardware.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

microsoft also beta tested the surface for six generations

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Laslow posted:

so they saw how microsoft was so successful with making everyone a beta tester for their cheap nagware unwillingly, so they one-upped them by doing the same thing but with expensive hardware.

infernal machines posted:

microsoft also beta tested the surface for six generations

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Should I just get a NUC instead of an XPS 15?

Like, what do I actually need the portability for, I can literally just buy a shitbox Dell 11 incher* for the three times a year I actually need mobile computing beyond my phone and still probably end up paying less overall?

E: AMD graphics :vomarine:, at that point I might as well literally buy an MacsBooks Pro.

*: :dong:

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 21:19 on May 23, 2019

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

just buy a used 2015

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Schadenboner posted:

Should I just get a NUC instead of an XPS 15?

Like, what do I actually need the portability for, I can literally just buy a shitbox Dell 11 incher* for the three times a year I actually need mobile computing beyond my phone and still probably end up paying less overall?

E: AMD graphics :vomarine:, at that point I might as well literally buy an MacsBooks Pro.

*: :dong:

i feel the same way about laptops op i dont use mine much to compute outside the apartment.

a good imac 5k + a macbook air prolly makes more sense than a good macbook pro 15 for most people after the last air update

(maybe buy the macbook air now and wait on the imac until next year when they bring the new imac pro architecture with the fancy security chip and poo poo)

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

https://daringfireball.net/2019/05/playdate posted:

The story is about Playdate, the most amazing and exciting product announcement, for me, since the original iPhone.

lol gently caress off gruber. i like panic they make good mac apps but im pretty sure you could find 5 products this amazing every day on kickstarter if you cared to look

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

of course john fireball is all aboard for this playdate thing. of COURSE