Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

is anyone on the planet actually limited by pcie3.0 throughput or lanecount? what a useless thing to wait for.

NVMe SSDs seem to be, no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

is anyone on the planet actually limited by pcie3.0 throughput or lanecount? what a useless thing to wait for.

in theory you'd need a 16x 3.0 interface to handle a dual 40gbe adapter and that could be cut down to an 8x on 4.0 but yeah most nvmes can't even saturate a 8x 3.0 interface pcie 4 is more of a futureproofing thing and only has edge case needs for now so who cares the hardware will be EoL by the time it matters for most people

Lambert posted:

NVMe SSDs seem to be, no?

nope, pretty much all of the ones on the market right now top out a ~48gbps sequential IO on a 64gbps 8x interface. I think the controller is the limiting factor.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
do you think Tim will be able to make his nut at the Catalina wine mixer

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

so blessed to be able to pay for privacy

pram
Jun 10, 2001
to clear up the sata/drives mystery, its a caddy which attaches here

meaning that thing to the right of the sata ports is for 2x sata power

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

did they bother including a kensington slot or are supposed to just lock it through the handles with a bike chain?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

qirex posted:

did they bother including a kensington slot or are supposed to just lock it through the handles with a bike chain?

the entire front is available for locking

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Boiled Water posted:

the entire front is available for locking
text me

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
the entire machine was designed to have no loose wires.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

r u ready to WALK posted:

I'm interested but only if it boots OS8

OS9 breaks compatibility with too many After Dark screensaver modules since they removed support for compressed resources.

Original Yikes! or Sawtooth G4s can run 8.6

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
I remember when trashcan was released a bunch of losers including pram and the management claimed non modularity is good because “you don’t just pop open a PROFESSIONAL workstation and swap out parts! Wow some of you clearly are t familiar with the places these are used.”

Ignore these Apple cheerleading assholes.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I’m probably going to buy a trash can pro if they drop in price considerably lol

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc
iOS 13 sounds pretty cool tbh. My iPad Pro already owns and it'll just get better with it.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Last Chance posted:

I’m probably going to buy a trash can pro if they drop in price considerably lol

why?

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

put it on a shelf with the g4 cube and 20th anniversary mac?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah i'd buy a cheap trashcan now

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Amethyst posted:

I remember when trashcan was released a bunch of losers including pram and the management claimed non modularity is good because “you don’t just pop open a PROFESSIONAL workstation and swap out parts! Wow some of you clearly are t familiar with the places these are used.”

Ignore these Apple cheerleading assholes.

lol no i didnt you stupid piece of poo poo

pram
Jun 10, 2001
i wasnt even here in 2013 because i was banned

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

pram posted:

lol no i didnt you stupid piece of poo poo

You did, actually. You defend every stupid idiotic thing because you are a suck up moron sap.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
wrong. stop posting

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

my coworker told me a few days ago that apple stuff was overpriced

kind of difficult to argue against now

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

they make the best $200 phone and $250 tablet by far

and probably whatever the cheapest laptop is

not really any reason to buy the more expensive versions of Apple things when the cheap/old stuff is better

anything with anroid/windows on it is automatically trash

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
blue stymie seems really mad about the expensive computer company

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

pram posted:

i wasnt even here in 2013 because i was banned

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

everyone mad at this is just secretly jealous of the people whose companies will buy it for them

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Timb

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
can I buy the stand alone to upgrade my current monitors stand?

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

I'll buy a stand and put it in my foyer because it's a piece of art and I want to appreciate its beauty every day.

e: enough about this loving stand who gives a poo poo, its not for any of us. there was so much other cool stuff announced.

separating out iPadOs, even if its mostly for marketing purposes right now, is a great move. seems it has already encouraged a whole bunch of development in features that they no longer have to worry about porting to the phone. text selection and editing always feels like the clunkiest thing on a touch screen so hopefully these improvements go a long way to making it a more productive device when you dont have a physical keyboard connected.

oh and loving first party SMB support? USB filesystems? great stuff!

sidecar looks neat and might cover a bunch of people needs for a cintiq-type device. hopefully its not reserved for the latest iPad pros/pencil 2s tho.

Granite Octopus fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jun 5, 2019

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

The Management posted:

the entire machine was designed to have no loose wires.

perhaps, but any purchasers will find that they must have several screws loose

who am i kidding no one is going to purchase one of these devices

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

power botton posted:

everyone mad at this is just secretly jealous of the people whose companies will buy it for them

if my company tried to buy me a $6k computer with a $1k monitor stand(lmao, jfc) i'd ask for a $3k 4k monitor instead. or some other insane poo poo that still costs a fraction lmfao

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

do you turn down raises

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Beamed posted:

if my company tried to buy me a $6k computer with a $1k monitor stand(lmao, jfc) i'd ask for a $3k 4k monitor instead. or some other insane poo poo that still costs a fraction lmfao

nice bootlicking

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Beamed posted:

nice
stockholm
syndrome

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Beamed posted:

lmao friend company is loyal to me so i am loyal to friend company!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

shouldn't the thread title be "tim apple's thousand dollar monitor stand"

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

pram posted:

nice bootlicking

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

nice
stockholm
syndrome

Endless Mike posted:

well done, funny boys of yospos, you all somehow landed on the same extremely original joke. Teamwork. That will teach that guy to make fun of apple's ten thousand dollar monitor stand. he's a real bootliker hahah, not us, the guys who defend apple's every stupid move.

you disgust me.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
its the guy who will look a gift horse in the mouth and ask for one with longer teeth.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Amethyst posted:

well done, funny boys of yospos, you all somehow landed on the same extremely original joke. Teamwork. That will teach that guy to make fun of apple's ten thousand dollar monitor stand. he's a real bootliker hahah, not us, the guys who defend apple's every stupid move.

you disgust me.

amethyst please take your brain medicine

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I’m wondering if the 1650 in the XPS 15 will be enough oomph for Skyrim and SimSoviet or if I’d be better off getting one of the (admittedly shameful but quite well-reviewed) 15” G7s with a 1660Ti or even a 2060?

:ohdear:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

power botton posted:

do you turn down raises

pram posted:

nice bootlicking

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

nice
stockholm
syndrome

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

its the guy who will look a gift horse in the mouth and ask for one with longer teeth.

Endless Mike posted:

what the hell are you people talking about? the company wants to spend $6k giving me garbage? gently caress that i'll take actually good poo poo instead. fine i'll figure out a way to make it $6k instead.

if you guys think apple scamming apple fans is worth scamming companies too i guess that makes more sense anyway