Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

infernal machines posted:

at some point you just have to say "good luck, dumbass" and walk, because it's not worth the headache

don't post the secret genius bar motto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Puppet Master
Apr 9, 2005

Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard.

Smythe posted:

might buy this piece of poo poo to run qlab now that i have one thousand 4k monitors of video to push for every other show, and also because half the designers in this business are too stupid to program in isadora which runs off my insanely murdered out windows/linux playout computer

qLab jobs is the only reason why I am still looking for a 2013-2015 MBP that is below 1000 euros.

(i should also really teach myself isadora)

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
i think i'll buy an ipad pro

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

The Puppet Master posted:

qLab jobs is the only reason why I am still looking for a 2013-2015 MBP that is below 1000 euros.

(i should also really teach myself isadora)

problem with qlab is that it's really drat good for some reason lol

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Let me just make the easiest to use software in the world and also make it really powerful too. Also it doesn't run on Linux because gently caress you and your playout systems -the boys at figure 53

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
I should man up and install Dante or something for grown ups

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Smythe posted:

Let me just make the easiest to use software in the world ... run on Linux

an impossible task

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
being hard to use is the whole point of linux

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Live theatre hardware/software is the definition of having to be "Rock solid, heart touching" so I got no idea why it's not like mandatory to be able to run on some LTS distro. Crazy to have to run it on a consumer OS.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

there’s not enough $$ to warrant development and maintenance vs number of users 🤷🏻‍♀️

OldAlias fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jun 14, 2019

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

why would you need a gui application for a server OS like Linux?

The Puppet Master
Apr 9, 2005

Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard.

Smythe posted:

problem with qlab is that it's really drat good for some reason lol

it really is :(

i should just suck it up (and make more money) and buy a show machine. I wonder if I could get by on a 2012 MBP (but those still sell for 500-700 lol) but god drat i want that full sized HDMI

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Last Chance posted:

why would you need a gui application for a server OS like Linux?

love dat avatar mate

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
for something like qlab rock solid status is massively easier to achieve on macos than linux

1. your users aren't able to run it on random shitbox hardware, the prices are high but the quality is mostly high to match (ignoring recent keyboard issues lol). also this helps reduce the amount of testing you need to do.

2. operating systems targeted at consumers have higher baseline reliability of their features. deploying millions of a platform to millions of randos doin' a universe of weird poo poo means the corners of the system get debugged faster than you get when you're os is mostly deployed to boring datacenters where it does a very narrow set of things. server things end up being quite reliable but the rest, not so much

3. linux wastes so much of its collective developer energy on useless bullshit. the eternal blood war between kde and gnome, ~distributions~, etc. they couldn't even manage to modernize init without controversy and schisms. all of this detracts from achieving consumer level stability and the features needed to make it easy and pleasant to build apps non computer touchers like to use, such as qlab

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

echinopsis posted:

love dat avatar mate

ty, its by andy gilmore who has some art that i should have been purchasing prints of years ago

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

being hard to use is the whole point of linux

i wrangled with linux for six hours today at work

i mother loving hate linux

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

graph posted:

i wrangled with linux for six hours today at work

i mother loving hate linux

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

The Management posted:

an impossible task
it runs on macos, which is a linux

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Last Chance posted:

ty, its by andy gilmore who has some art that i should have been purchasing prints of years ago

it looks fresnel lens ish and ai like it thanks for the name

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

graph posted:

have you never seen a single episode of nip/tuck

also is smythe's animated version of their avatar anywhere

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Last Chance posted:

I’m
inspired

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

nice

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

echinopsis posted:

I’m
inspired

nice fractal

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user

some weird nerd flipping me off with a baby hand doesn't make me think Linux is cool

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Linux is good

userland is garbage

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Endless Mike posted:

nice fractal

:argh:

resembling a fractal through self similar aspects is ok.. but if you invoke the complex plane you’ll get your rear end handed to you

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

hobbesmaster posted:

userland is garbage

they have the worst rides

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.

hobbesmaster posted:

userland is garbage
probably was, but i still read dave winer's blag every now and then

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Switzerland posted:

please call the hotline, nobody wants you to go through that

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

hobbesmaster posted:

Linux is good

userland is garbage

the kernel is garbage too

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Switzerland posted:

is dave winer the guy who puts an anchor at the end of every paragraph in case you want to be very specific when you link to his words?

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

DELETE CASCADE posted:

i think i'll buy an ipad pro

It's a fantastic device.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

2010 macbook pros cannot boot from usb to install windows. i have to go get or burn installation media.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

2010 macbook pros cannot boot from usb to install windows. i have to go get or burn installation media.

i have booted 2006 intel macs from usb sticks, might be something else going on there

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

BobHoward posted:

i have booted 2006 intel macs from usb sticks, might be something else going on there

earlier ones can. it's something to do with this year model from my googling.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i have a 2010 mac and it boots usb just fine

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i have a 2010 mac and it boots usb just fine

a macbook pro?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

earlier ones can. it's something to do with this year model from my googling.

huh i tried googling that too and it sounds like on macsbook pro with internal dvd drives, boot camp requires dvd installation

if you are trying to use boot camp, and it's what's getting in the way, i think you can install windows without going through boot camp assistant. might be a path to try if you don't have any dvd media sitting around to burn or the superdrive's broke or removed in favor of a second hdd

that reminds me that i have a pile of blank dvds that i havent touched in like 8 or 9 years lol. booting from optical media is so archaic

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

this is what it does if you try to boot from usb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Well, that's what you get for using a mac - things that are easy on PCs become a hassle.