Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Mr. Nice! posted:

this is what it does if you try to boot from usb.

I used to have a 2011 iMac with a similar problem. my trying to remember is it was something with the efi. I think I installed refit or whatever it was called back in the day and it worked. it’s probably easier just to buy a dvd and burn it though don’t 2010 have an internal drive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Vomik posted:

I used to have a 2011 iMac with a similar problem. my trying to remember is it was something with the efi. I think I installed refit or whatever it was called back in the day and it worked. it’s probably easier just to buy a dvd and burn it though don’t 2010 have an internal drive?

yeah i’ve got access to a dvd today, but didn’t have one yesterday.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
looks like the windows bootloader doesnt know how to talk to the usb contorller to find the install media, to which the only solution would seem to be "dont do that", i.e. use a dvd

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Macs os: So good everyone uses Boot Camp or virtualization software to run Windows instead

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

Lambert posted:

Macs: So good everyone uses Boot Camp or virtualization software to run Windows on them.

nah my work imac runs kubuntu 18.04

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Lysidas posted:

nah my work imac runs kubuntu 18.04

Acceptable.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

pram posted:

youre holding it wrong

The one universal Apple troubleshooting tip

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Mr. Nice! posted:

did you boot to a windows install usb? not talking a mac or posix bootable usb - specifically a windows installer. if so, how? because i could not find a solution.

i booted a linux install image, as is right and proper

i think your problem here is windows

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i booted a linux install image, as is right and proper

i think your problem here is windows

my statement from the beginning was that this year model mbp cannot boot from usb to install windows. it has always been able to boot from anything else via usb, but not to install windows.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/marcoarment/status/1140775061294657538

congratulations to everyone in cupertino

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

the itunes codebase lives on in xcode :)

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

mykel and carli is a good old weezer b-side

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Lambert posted:

i construct my internet identity around a tom clancy videogame

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
some good weezer b-sides there

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
five stars for only in dreams, zero stars for my name is Jonas or buddy holly. loving Marco

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
weezer stinks

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Mr. Nice! posted:

my statement from the beginning was that this year model mbp cannot boot from usb to install windows. it has always been able to boot from anything else via usb, but not to install windows.

install linux; problem solved

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
he already has a Linux installed. that's the problem.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

i start grad school next week, and need a windows laptop for windows only excel features. i'm not installing windows because i want it, but loving :lol: at excel for mac.

a lunix presents the same issues as osx in this case, in that i'd have to run excel in a virtual machine to do 90% of what i'm going to do for the next 10 months.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Macs are great, as long as you don't need to do anything productive. Great for blogging, really.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Mr. Nice! posted:

i start grad school next week, and need a windows laptop for windows only excel features. i'm not installing windows because i want it, but loving :lol: at excel for mac.

a lunix presents the same issues as osx in this case, in that i'd have to run excel in a virtual machine to do 90% of what i'm going to do for the next 10 months.

you could use bootcamp, that way you won't have to buy a lovely laptop

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Boiled Water posted:

But he already owns a mac??

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Boiled Water posted:

i’m attempting to use bootcamp on my 2010 mbp. i have to borrow windows 7 install media from a friend because the mbps with the optical drive cannot install windows from usb.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

welp

i thought that was another goon

goonspeed

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Management posted:

five stars for only in dreams, zero stars for my name is Jonas or buddy holly. loving Marco

are you really surprised a phish fan has bad music taste?

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Just buy a Parallels license, it’s a much nicer experience than natively booting Windows on a Mac (at least for productivity)

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

comedy option: Windows vm in a cloud service to run excel.

slightly less comedic option: excel in a browser

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

new xps 15s come out next week (hopefully) and you can probably still find last years xps13 and 15 on sale

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Mr. Nice! posted:

i’m attempting to use bootcamp on my 2010 mbp. i have to borrow windows 7 install media from a friend because the mbps with the optical drive cannot install windows from usb.

i'm p. sure they can and what's happening is related to whether you have efi bootable usb media or not. the dvd can boot both legacy and efi and so this doesn't come up, but with usb you can only have legacy or efi bootable. efi bootable will boot natively (assuming your mac has 64-bit efi), but bootcamp requires legacy to boot because it's a bootloader shim, so you have to make the install media in a specific way for it to work. unless you go looking for it you will not know this and without a pc you may or may not be able to make the correct partition structure.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
also worth noting that while it's "possible" to install windows natively, without bootcamp, that may or may not result in a functional install because apple has a bunch of special snowflake versions of things that windows will repeatedly try to install generic drivers for, which will not work.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

oh, if you're trying to install windows 7 on something that has native usb 3 (not in this particular case) this will also happen, because windows 7 is loving ancient and you have to slipstream usb 3 drivers into the install environment for it to know how to use a usb 3 controller

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

infernal machines posted:

also worth noting that while it's "possible" to install windows natively, without bootcamp, that may or may not result in a functional install because apple has a bunch of special snowflake versions of things that windows will repeatedly try to install generic drivers for, which will not work.

you can get the boot camp drivers and install them still without doing the boot camp process

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

you can, and windows will happily replace them with broken versions in some cases because the generic drivers are newer. also, when the broken device is your video driver it's a bit of a pain

e.g. 2013 mba will stop displaying video 5/6th of the way through the install process if it can connect to the internet, because that's when windows replaces the working generic vga driver with the whql'd amd driver that doesn't work. assuming you avoid that it will happen after the first time you reboot, after you've connected to the internet, unless you completely nuke windows update

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jun 18, 2019

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

my nine year old computer can't install a ten year old operating system that doesn't even properly support usb, clearly the company that designed the laptop is at fault

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Mr. Nice! posted:

you’re going to dual boot for excel? install in a VM.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

The Management posted:

you’re going to dual boot for excel? install in a VM.

sounds more like the point is to single-boot windows since it has the tools he actually needs

not necessarily wise still since bootcamp is sort of crappy, but doing effectively all your work in a vm is a pretty lovely existence too.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

qirex posted:

my nine year old computer can't install a ten year old operating system that doesn't even properly support usb, clearly the company that designed the laptop is at fault

Thinking the same thing

larper
Apr 9, 2019

Mr. Nice! posted:

What inspired you to go to grad school for Excel

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

qirex posted:

apple should participate in the windows hardware compatibility program if they want to advertise that their devices can run windows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

its hosed up but i just checked their site and they do

Only registered members can see post attachments!