Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
high sierra is the last 'snow leopard' release and its still getting security patches

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
There is something to be said for continuous releases instead of Big Bang releases every two or three years, but most companies that do this have an LTS release every two or three years. Apple has never really done that.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Chris Knight posted:

lol that last iOS update turned on the ask to join wifi setting on my phone, which I've never had on. sitting on the streetcar and suddenly a dialog pops up saying MaRS wifi is available

lol so it did. welp that’s off again now, thanks for the heads up

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

so why are there more bugs now compared with "good apple" of the mid-2000s? i used tiger into the late 2000s because i had a ppc powerbook and couldn't afford a new computer and it was rock solid. is it really a mass delusion?

it was not as good as you remember, but Apple was on a 2-year cadence of OS releases, didn’t have phones to work on at the same time, and everything was much less complex.

this one is a very buggy release, no doubt. but there have been decent ones in recent years.

FMguru posted:

:hmmyes:

apple really should switch to a tick-tock model, with yearly os releases alternating between 1) new features and ui changes and 2) bug fixes and performance updates. the naming scheme sometimes shows evidence of this (leopard/snow leopard, lion/mountain lion, etc) but theyve never committed to it

you’re soaking in it. this year was the feature and UI release. it’s buggy as hell.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

pram posted:

every single apple release (even the holiest of holies snow leopard which caused data loss) has the exact same comments on how everything is going downhill and crapple is done for hth

doin tims work

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
catalina jnr

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

every osx release has worked fine, shut up nerds

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
sounds like they named this release of osx after the wine mixer they were drinking

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

The Management posted:

it was not as good as you remember, but Apple was on a 2-year cadence of OS releases, didn’t have phones to work on at the same time, and everything was much less complex.

this one is a very buggy release, no doubt. but there have been decent ones in recent years.

the biggest difference really was just that shipping broken releases and fixing them later was a lot more tolerable when you had over a year of using the fixed thing. these days releases get into a usable state just a few months before the next one enters beta.

if xcode didn't require using the absolute latest point release of the latest macos version (or sometimes even macos version that aren't even out yet) i'd forever just lag behind a major version and probably have a much more positive view of apple's software

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

The Management posted:

you’re soaking in it. this year was the feature and UI release. it’s buggy as hell.

please challenge your bosses to a fist fight and then knock them to the ground so that you become the boss

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

its understandable that there's development scaling issues for something like apple products or any other big software projects, but god dangit

it all resolves down to :capitalism:

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

timb needs to chill the gently caress out with the iOS updates, it seems like there's one every few days

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
the .0 releases of high sierra and snow leopard were both complete trash. i've been on mojave since beta 7 or something and its been fine

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

TOOT BOOT posted:

timb needs to chill the gently caress out with the iOS updates, it seems like there's one every few days

i prob got it from this very thread, but to your point:

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

lol

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

ham yard hotel

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Bulgakov posted:

ham yard hotel

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Gentle Autist posted:

i think you've misunderstood the premise of this subforum really

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

(人-ω-)。o.゚。*・♡Good Night♡・*。゚o。(-ω-人)

immmmma sleepy 😴

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

The Management posted:

i sort of get why this is the case but it's astonishing that apple can't walk and chew gum at the same time

nobody defends windows by saying microsoft also has office to work on

Plorkyeran posted:

the biggest difference really was just that shipping broken releases and fixing them later was a lot more tolerable when you had over a year of using the fixed thing. these days releases get into a usable state just a few months before the next one enters beta.

:emptyquote:

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

ms is bad because they spent all their dollars on master chief food and now one drive isn’t working

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
something fucky going on here...

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
It just works.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

i sort of get why this is the case but it's astonishing that apple can't walk and chew gum at the same time

this is a company that lad a large number of 911 calls because people kept walking into doors so I dont even know why youd have to add "and chew gun"

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

this is a company that lad a large number of 911 calls because people kept walking into doors so I dont even know why youd have to add "and chew gun"

lol

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

its the downside of apple controlling the whole hardware/software stack of the things they produce - the release date of new iphone hardware is a hard deadline (early fall of every year) and the new version of ios has to be ready when those things ship. since iphone is by far the most important product in the company, if that schedule slips even a little then everything else gets backburnered while all hands get shifted to ios work, and the knock on effect is macos development slows to a crawl. everything and everyone is a slave of the iphone hardware release cycle

quote:

nobody defends windows by saying microsoft also has office to work on
its not like its unique to apple - win10 is on a twice-yearly update schedule and some recent releases were so bad they had to be pulled

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

TOOT BOOT posted:

this latest one broke mail.app again

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

FMguru posted:

the release date of new iphone hardware is a hard deadline (early fall of every year) and the new version of ios has to be ready when those things ship

why?

apple ships computers independently of integer os updates, there's no technical reason a new iphone has to have a new integer release, the new "drivers" for new iphone hardware could be in a point release exactly like os x and the mac does

integer releases of ios include features that have nothing to do with new iphone hardware and those features can wait

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

FMguru posted:

its not like its unique to apple - win10 is on a twice-yearly update schedule and some recent releases were so bad they had to be pulled

i look forward to making excuses for windows because of office or the new xbox, good to know it's a valid reason

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
apple's software has always been terrible, but for a short time in the days of ios 3/4/5 it was not completely unusable so people confused it for good and that has kind of stuck around even though it has no bearing on reality.

apple has like a handful of hardware configurations and minimal usage scenarios to consider, and they still gently caress poo poo up all the time. compare that to Microsoft which has to deal with their software being used on infinite and unknown hardware configurations and in scenarios nobody has ever considered.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Gentle Autist posted:

nah mojave is poo poo on a lot of machines. i can’t run it on my imac even though it is technically compatible because everything slows to a crawl.

did they fix mail in ios 13 yet? also i’ve heard there are keyboard changes. can anyone give me a run down?

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

Tim Apple eat the gun

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Chris Knight posted:

im guessing that has something to do w/ ur hinge

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

im guessing that has something to do w/ ur hinge

no that's just the top case/ keyboard sitting on top after taking it apart. I didn't want to put it all back together without testing if it booted

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Gentle Autist posted:

someone never used it way back in the early days

the days when ejecting a cd had a non-zero chance of the system hard locking and whatever application you were using would occasionally just disappear

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

10.2 was the first mostly usable os x, 10.4 was the first that was actually good

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Chris Knight posted:

yeah those keyboard keys have way too much travel

pram
Jun 10, 2001
not even a g4 so you can run 10.4.11 and 9.2.2

into the trash imo

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
fuckin timb :argh:

https://twitter.com/johnrobertsfox/status/1183859132287389707

they moved the loving trash icon to where the reply one was, or at least made it the first one

gg shitheads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

whats muscle memory