Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

r u ready to WALK posted:

But really though why doesn't any of these smart speakers support lineout and hooking up to a proper hifi

I bet it would be really helpful to filter out voice commands from advertisements and videos too if the smart speaker knew about the audio going through your surround receiver

my echo dot does but the problem with that is, i need to keep my denon on all the time to use it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

But I can't simulate human interaction with those :smith:

Any suggestions for good speakers? Like really good so I don't have to buy another set for 5 years
two of these babies

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...DKIKX0DER&psc=1

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

any decent speaker will last your lifetime

i bought some elac speakers that i like :shrug:

yeah p much anything better than back-of-the-van special will last you exactly as long as you want them to last

Matt Zerella posted:

my echo dot does but the problem with that is, i need to keep my denon on all the time to use it
lol yeah i hooked a dot up to my stereo and it just made the dot useless since it won't output out of its own speaker if there's anything connected to the line out, even if whatever it's connected to is powered off or just not on its input

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Where the gently caress is my HOMEPOD, Tim? WHERE is it? You're supposed to deliver things on time, that's your only talent! I haven't bought Bose, Amazon or Google speakers because I'm waiting for the drat sound pod for the past year!

looks like Tim’s plan is working perfectly

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
From YCS, it seems that some people are not happy about HomePod delays:

https://twitter.com/donut_binge/status/953490067263115264

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
steve couldn't stand what was happening any more and is coming out of hiding after faking his death

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

But really though why doesn't any of these smart speakers support lineout and hooking up to a proper hifi

I bet it would be really helpful to filter out voice commands from advertisements and videos too if the smart speaker knew about the audio going through your surround receiver

because they're garbage trinkets for people who make bad decisions

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

idgi, how does line out help it know

JawnV6 fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jan 17, 2018

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

quote:

Apple Inc (AAPL.O) will make about $38 billion in U.S. tax payments on its $252.3 billion in overseas cash in accordance with the tax law passed late last month, the company said on Wednesday.

The company also said it planned to open a new campus at a location that it will announce later this year.

throw out your AC2, AC3 construction starts now.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

But I can't simulate human interaction with those :smith:

Any suggestions for good speakers? Like really good so I don't have to buy another set for 5 years

Equator! it depends what you want them for but that brand has some of the best value for cost. the d5s are around 400 iirc

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

qirex posted:

protip: don’t buy speakers from bose, amazon, google or apple, buy actual speakers instead - they sound better, last longer and won’t send your voice recordings to the gubbmint

oh btw the klipsch speakers sound great. idk what people could find wrong with them

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

monoprice speakers are v pro for the money, polk also has good enetry level stuff if youre not trying to spend an arm and a leg

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Rex-Goliath posted:

oh btw the klipsch speakers sound great. idk what people could find wrong with them

they are poo poo reference monitors

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

The Management posted:

apple campus in riga here we go

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

OldAlias posted:

they are poo poo reference monitors

why don't you reference deez nutz

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
HEY TIMB WHERES MY MAC MINI

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

If you want a speaker as pretentious as your touchbar macbook there's really only one option

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UylgBnQV-g

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

The Management posted:

my guess? probably that chunk of land they bought in north san jose a year or two back

how do you like your traffic on 101? i like mine extra slow

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

If you want a speaker as pretentious as your touchbar macbook there's really only one option

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdsAXDgkpvM

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
i thought ac3 was almost done (wolff road & central expressway, right across the street from cheetahs) and ready to move into

it looks like apple park hosed a giant fidget spinner and then had a retard baby

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

FMguru posted:

i thought ac3 was almost done (wolff road & central expressway, right across the street from cheetahs) and ready to move into

it looks like apple park hosed a giant fidget spinner and then had a retard baby

the central and wolfe complex isn’t owned by apple, though last i heard (a year or two ago) the owner of the complex had gotten apple to sign on and occupy it

hence the confusion

e: here we go

quote:

Apple originally signed a lease with Landbank Investments LLC to occupy the firm's Central & Wolfe campus in late 2015, with the terms unknown, but said to be for 10 years. The site was purchased shortly thereafter by developer Jay Paul.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jan 17, 2018

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

ComradeCosmobot posted:

my guess? probably that chunk of land they bought in north san jose a year or two back

how do you like your traffic on 101? i like mine extra slow

my guess is Austin or Seattle Area. but that’s purely speculation. areas where Apple has problems recruiting (chip development and cloud, respectively) and have the largest talent pools of people not moving to the Bay Area.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

The Management posted:

my guess is Austin or Seattle Area. but that’s purely speculation. areas where Apple has problems recruiting (chip development and cloud, respectively) and have the largest talent pools of people not moving to the Bay Area.

austin for chips and seattle for cloud?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

The Management posted:

could be that too, to be fair. after all, all we have is the idea such a campus will happen

if so, tho, austin seems much more likely

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

The Management posted:

yeah this is what austin needs, more san fran centrist libertarian tech douchebros.

although its been ruined for a few years now so whatever

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
i bought an iphone x

+ the screen is gorgeous as is the rest of the phone
+ the battery is insane. 70% left after the whole day outside. on the se it would have been 25-30
+ the quick app switch gesture to the previous app is hot poo poo

- the thing is too big. im getting used to it but i still prefer if it was smaller
- ive already dropped it like 2 days in (fell from my pocket while sitting down). looks fine hopefully it will survive until the case arrives next week

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

my speaker uses 4501 watts so it's better

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

poty posted:

i bought an iphone x

+ the screen is gorgeous as is the rest of the phone
+ the battery is insane. 70% left after the whole day outside. on the se it would have been 25-30
+ the quick app switch gesture to the previous app is hot poo poo

- the thing is too big. im getting used to it but i still prefer if it was smaller
- ive already dropped it like 2 days in (fell from my pocket while sitting down). looks fine hopefully it will survive until the case arrives next week

my friend who bought one had it on the table at lunch today and it wouldn't unlock for him until he picked it up.

meanwhile i unlocked my good + cool iphone 6 by simply placing my thumb on the home button

(getting rid of touchId was a terrible decision)

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Touch ID and MagSafe are very, very good and that's why Apple is getting rid of them

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Elder Postsman posted:

Courage.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

next year they'll get rid of thunderbolt in favor of micro-usb

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

NEED MORE MILK posted:

yeah this is what austin needs, more san fran centrist libertarian tech douchebros.

although its been ruined for a few years now so whatever

austin has been a chip design and manufacturing center since the 1970s this is nothing new

pram
Jun 10, 2001
austin has ibm, samsung, and amd, and had the sun sparc stuff (rip)

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

pram posted:

austin has ibm, samsung, and amd, and had the sun sparc stuff (rip)

ibm cell (that weird ps2 chip)
powerpc was austin, motorola which became freescale recently bought by nxp
the intel site i work at has ~1000 people at it
the apple chip design site is just as big and growing
cirrus logic is headquartered here
the list goes on

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
did texas instruments leave austin?

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

did texas instruments leave austin?

texas instruments has always weirdly been dallas/richardson area. idk if they have an austin location.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
ppl from Austin should be called Austists

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

with a touch id phone you can jsut hold it next to the terminal and the apple pay screen appears, then simply touch id and it pays

with face id you are required to double click the power button

sucks

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Elder Postsman posted:

my friend who bought one had it on the table at lunch today and it wouldn't unlock for him until he picked it up.

meanwhile i unlocked my good + cool iphone 6 by simply placing my thumb on the home button

face id vs touch id is sort of a wash tbh

when unlocking from 0 sometimes you have to make the phone stand and its slower than touch id and uncomfortable

on the other hand face id saves time while using the phone like when you try to see your saved passwords or log in to an app

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

cinci zoo sniper posted:

when is the mbp regress?

ftfy