Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Management posted:

I didn’t mean that it sees your bones. it’s a laser that projects a bunch of tiny dots at your face and takes a picture of them. it calculates where the dots are versus where they should be and constructs a 3D model of your face. it then compares the shape and ratios of the major features it sees. in particular, the placement of your eyes, the shape of your head, nose, cheek bones, and jaw. it does not have millimeter accuracy, it’s about getting a good approximation of several of those things that gives it enough confidence to declare that it’s you. it doesn’t see skin color, it doesn’t see your pimples. it can survive your beard or scarf obscuring some things, but maybe not your sunglasses.

aluminum foil does a pretty great job keeping my burrito warm. and hair does a great job of keeping my head from baking in the sun.

is it a laser? an led should work and would be cheaper
also is it a speckle pattern or something else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

hobbesmaster posted:

apple..........hire this guy

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

they bought out my former boss’s grad student lab so I think they’re good on that front

took them long enough to actually use the 3d stuff instead of just the touch stuff

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

hobbesmaster posted:

I literally had to take a laser safety class before being given an early prototype and have my eyes examined so they can determine how much vision I lost in case it blinds me.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

hobbesmaster posted:

*clears throat, points at Apple logo*

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

The Management posted:

it doesn’t see skin color

me neither

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

The Management posted:

I didn’t mean that it sees your bones. it’s a laser that projects a bunch of tiny dots at your face and takes a picture of them. it calculates where the dots are versus where they should be and constructs a 3D model of your face. it then compares the shape and ratios of the major features it sees. in particular, the placement of your eyes, the shape of your head, nose, cheek bones, and jaw. it does not have millimeter accuracy, it’s about getting a good approximation of several of those things that gives it enough confidence to declare that it’s you. it doesn’t see skin color, it doesn’t see your pimples. it can survive your beard or scarf obscuring some things, but maybe not your sunglasses.

i wasn't worried about acne because of skin color. it's measuring the orientation of the tangent planes of your face at various points by seeing how the dots are skewed. a big rear end pimple in a spot where a dot is projected will completely deform that measurement. they probably filter the data to ignore a few outlier dots but if you're talking a teen with tons of acne i could imagine it making GBS threads the bed. either way it's a different issue than a scarf or a beard.

The Management posted:

aluminum foil does a pretty great job keeping my burrito warm. and hair does a great job of keeping my head from baking in the sun.

nah, aluminum is a terrible thermal insulator, that's why cans feel colder than plastic bottles straight from the fridge. go out in freezing weather with a piece of foil wrapped closely around your skin and see how long you last.

hair, clothes, double ply windows, foam insulation-- none of these have anything to do with blocking IR radiation, they work by surrounding the warm thing in a blanket of air that is prevented from convecting (blowing away), which is the main way air transfers heat

(but anyway gizmodo says the X does have trouble with hats and scarves that cover too much, so i guess that proves i was wrong about it seeing through the scarf)

hobbesmaster posted:

if the apple marketing is accurate they show a picture of a grid of dots on their website.

how would you get each led to stay focused to make the tiny dots on a face? it probably needs those to be very well-focused to measure

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

if the apple marketing is accurate they show a picture of a grid of dots on their website.

how would you get each led to stay focused to make the tiny dots on a face? it probably needs those to be very well-focused to measure

you don’t actually need a particularly good focus

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

i wasn't worried about acne because of skin color. it's measuring the orientation of the tangent planes of your face at various points by seeing how the dots are skewed. a big rear end pimple in a spot where a dot is projected will completely deform that measurement. they probably filter the data to ignore a few outlier dots but if you're talking a teen with tons of acne i could imagine it making GBS threads the bed. either way it's a different issue than a scarf or a beard.

no, it measures the x-y offset of where the dots are projected to where they are expected. since the camera is offset from the laser, this allows it to determine the depth of the dot. your pimples are in the noise.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

if it’s projecting 30k dots so assuming say a 25 cm by 25 cm area that’d be maybe 1.5mm x-y resolution. so a simple median filter is probably going to knock out any acne if it can even be picked up

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
it's taking photos and using them for comparison but the technology is being jazzed up by talking about the light sensor

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

The Management posted:

no, it measures the x-y offset of where the dots are projected to where they are expected. since the camera is offset from the laser, this allows it to determine the depth of the dot. your pimples are in the noise.

uh obviously you underestimate the size of my pimples

(wherever i got the distortion idea from must've been guessing, what you said makes sense)

hobbesmaster posted:

you don’t actually need a particularly good focus

yea? with thousands of dots, even in conditions where there is some normal level of background IR noise?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

uh obviously you underestimate the size of my pimples

(wherever i got the distortion idea from must've been guessing, what you said makes sense)

yea? with thousands of dots, even in conditions where there is some normal level of background IR noise?

ir noise isn’t a big issue with a decent band pass filter for your sensor

and as for focus, I guess it depends on what you define as good focus but you just something you can find a centroid for

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
if the iphone x blinds me im gonna get pretty mad

i probably wouldnt buy any new iphones for 3 or 4 years just to teach apple a lesson

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

The Management posted:

I literally had to take a laser safety class before being given an early prototype and have my eyes examined so they can determine how much vision I lost in case it blinds me.

what's the upper limit on radiation output before it needs the laser warning? iirc there isn't even a class i notice on the iphone x packaging

i've never seen the connect box but i'd assume it had one given the distance it was meant to operate at

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

class I lasers don’t need to be labeled

well they don’t need warnings, I don’t know if they need fine print next to the FCC certification

Kinect was class I

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

infernal machines posted:

what's the upper limit on radiation output before it needs the laser warning? iirc there isn't even a class i notice on the iphone x packaging

i've never seen the connect box but i'd assume it had one given the distance it was meant to operate at

I’m not an expert on this but in the production devices there are safety mechanisms that prevent it from putting out the kind of power that would roast your corneas, and therefore it’s a class 1 laser. in a development board with modules exposed and no interlocks, that’s not the case which means it’s a class 2. whether it can actually output the necessary power for amateur lasik, I don’t really know.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

The Management posted:

you risked your vision for Face ID

... lol

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

hobbesmaster posted:

ir noise isn’t a big issue with a decent band pass filter for your sensor

then why might the X have trouble with faceid in bright light?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

you risked your vision for Face ID

... lol

nah, I taped a piece of cardboard over the sensor bar to avoid getting laser vision. it didn’t work yet anyway.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

you can still oversaturate it

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

it expects you in basement level light

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

following on from my CarPlay post. BMW now want to charge you 80 bucks a year for the privelige of being able to use this completely free built in service. Taking tips from Tim on how to gouge the customer base...

https://daringfireball.net/linked/2018/01/19/bmw-shitheads

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

smellmycheese posted:

following on from my CarPlay post. BMW now want to charge you 80 bucks a year for the privelige of being able to use this completely free built in service. Taking tips from Tim on how to gouge the customer base...

https://daringfireball.net/linked/2018/01/19/bmw-shitheads

way to cheapen the brand retards. what next? rolex smart watches?

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
BMW read one of those old reports on App Store monetizing vs Google Play and are taking the lesson to heart

also bmw owners will pay for it no questions asked because lol to own a bmw without a CarPlay license makes you an honorary poor

the cool buff dude driving the M2 and going to LA fitness will not let that babe see him without CarPlay, he’s not a mini driving choad

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
apple should tell bmw to go gently caress themselves on this one

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

CPAAS - CarPlay As A Service

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

cool startup feel posted:

apple should tell bmw to go gently caress themselves on this one

yeah Apple really doesn’t like anyone loving with what their brand

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
note that previously bmw charged you $300 to “enable” CarPlay. that was a dick move. but charging a recurring fee for something that is free to them, requires no additional effort on their part is really spectacularly lovely.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

The Management posted:

note that previously bmw charged you $300 to “enable” CarPlay. that was a dick move. but charging a recurring fee for something that is free to them, requires no additional effort on their part is really spectacularly lovely.

yeah but they’ve had to do extra work now, to add whatever they use to kill CarPlay if you don’t pay up. so now they need to charge a fee to recoup that cost. seems fair

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
the funny thing is they could've charged for 100 years of carplay if they included it in the car price and no one would notice. they had to do the skeevy way.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

the funny thing is they could've charged for 100 years of carplay if they included it in the car price and no one would notice. they had to do the skeevy way.

yeah it’s the dumbest way to do it. “CarPlay option: 800 dollars” and cover 10 years. bmw assholes wouldn’t even complain

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Soricidus posted:

yeah but they’ve had to do extra work now, to add whatever they use to kill CarPlay if you don’t pay up. so now they need to charge a fee to recoup that cost. seems fair

drat, you’re right. some engineer got a work order on his desk to make it so that CarPlay stops working after a year if it isn’t reauthorized, and instead of telling his boss to get hosed he actually did it.

the dickish part here is that some person will be driving this used bmw in 10 years. they bought it for $3500. and when they plug in their iPhone SE in it will tell them that they need to pay $80 to a server that doesn’t even exist anymore and it’s not like they had an extra 80 bucks to blow anyway or they wouldn’t be driving this beat up car in the first place.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
"we charge customers to update their nav maps under our old system so we should get to charge them using Apple's system too"

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
CarPlay is bad anyway because it's always on laggy pieces of poo poo with resistive touch screens.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

mine is capacitive and works great once you're actually in CarPlay. admittedly, it takes a few seconds to boot and click through the nanny screen.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
id much rather have carplay than a crappy oem thing that will be outdated in 3 years. i get a new phone a lot more often than a new car

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

just give me bluetooth (plus an actual audio jack), and a logical place to mount a current phone, the integration between a thing which lasts 20+ years with a thing that lasts 3 need better be shallow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Soricidus posted:

it would be interesting to see the numbers on this. not as interesting as the numbers for 'govt spending on benefit fraud auditing' vs 'government spending on fraudulent benefit claims' but still probably pretty lolworthy