Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

if we don’t have an eyePhone in 10 years I’ll be disappointed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

I just asked apple maps to find me northern Siberia and it put the marker in South Africa.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

I’ve got a 2016 and the z key sticks. I mostly use a USB keyboard now.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

dell make buying anything from them absurdly hard

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

so maybe they fixed iMessage order on the Mac but now iMessages on my phone disappear if I read them in notifications instead of Messages.app

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Shaggar posted:

Healthcare is the opposite. Pretty much nobody cares about their medical records and the industry is actively hostile to integrations unless you are paying them through the nose.

This would probably work better in a country with government provided healthcare.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

buddy, maybe you've heard of a thing called wireless charging. it works just like that. Apple invented it, you know

apple also came up with a very witty name for it. they call it Qi.

e: also use a case. iPhones have been designed for it since they had a protruding camera.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

anthonypants posted:

but they fixed it via an over-the-air update!!! how cool is that!!!! now you don't even need to take your car back to the dealership when your car is broken by design!!!!!

this means someone could also disable the brakes entirely in an update, does it not?

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Luigi Thirty posted:

does

does anyone actually own one of these $600 external gpus for their Macintosh computers

I do

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

graph posted:

how is it

with a supported TB3/AMD configuration in macos it works pretty well. in boot camp or with an Nvidia card it is a pain to get working. whether I’d recommend it or not depends on what you want to do with it. if it’s for gaming I’d say buy a windows box or a console or whatever because that’ll work better. there’s significantly less bandwidth for TB3 than there is for an x16 pcie bus, so if you’re aiming for really high frame rates at 1080p it won’t work well. 4K or something that’ll tax the GPU itself more will probably work fine.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

graph posted:

neat, thanks

also check out egpu.io for builds people have tested

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

GenJoe posted:

please stop using screens w/ < than 220 ppi. you are literally runining your eyes.

enjoy being blind at 45 you loving nerd lords

where did you get the idea that this is true? I am aware of quite a few counterexamples to this.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

GenJoe posted:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22762257

ophthalmologists looked at differences in eye strain when reading from an e-ink tablet vs. reading from an lcd. they discovered that the main indicator was actually the image resolution of the display -- e-ink vs. lcd didn't actually matter, as long as the resolution and image quality is good enough ur eyes will be thanking u.

if you are doing some unscaled 4k bullshit then yes reading really tiny text is going to strain your eyes. scale that poo poo. both windows and mac have very good scaling ityol 2018 and can do it w/o blurriness

while this is quite interesting, I’m not clear on how it implies eye damage over time. I certainly agree that higher resolution and well scaled text is far more pleasant for reading.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

akadajet posted:

yes it can

Windows can, many (most?) windows apps can’t

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

how nice for you that you have all that modern software to use and aren’t forced to use crap written 10 or more years ago

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

how do you notice the back of your phone through a case?

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

jony neuemonic posted:

salt bagels are the best bagels and i will die on this hill.

salt will kill you anyway

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

I hope that thing isn’t directly exposed to the internet

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

I’ve seen corporate networks in that state

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Sniep posted:

so just entirely unmanaged?

I wouldn’t say entirely unmanaged, but corporate networks are a more attractive target and to me sometimes feel less safe than the open internet. my guess was this happens because people assume anything internal is more safe and so they don’t take the precautions they would if they knew every box they had was exposed to the internet. (which in a way internal things are, but attackers have to bounce through ad networks or phishing emails or whatever)

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

the touch bar is dumb but USB c/thunderbolt 3 is actually nice imo

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

iMac 8K incoming

also the cellular Apple Watch would be great if you didn’t need a phone to use it. if they ever do that I’ll buy one so I don’t have to carry around this gigantic iPhone SE.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

r u ready to WALK posted:

i am not paying apple more money for a worse computer

just use an external keyboard like a normal person

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

carry on then posted:

please do not use shiny toys for real work. use an android phone.

as long as you buy a new one every six months for security updates, sure

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

youre typing it wrong

you’re

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

1Blocker, but the list it ships with is hilariously out of date

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

as someone who plays mostly older bideo games and uses dumb old software for ~~my workflow~~ i am lightly salted about this no more 32-bit macos apps thing in high mojave or whatevers next.

just use virtualbox or VMware fusion or parallels or whatever to run lion. it’ll probably work even better than the original.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

while I don’t think a switch to ARM macs is impossible, I’d guess Apple are just trying to squeeze lower prices out of Intel

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Juul-Whip posted:

nobody at UPS Canada seems to have been made aware of Tim's grand promise of no-contact delivery. signature at the door or no new iPhone for you

UPS insist it’s on Apple for asking for a signature.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Granite Octopus posted:

max 16gb ram? seems low

tough call to downgrade my existing 64gb Mac Mini to this

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

DELETE CASCADE posted:

wearing earbuds on a bike ride is like going to a national park and just sitting in your car watching youtube on your phone

you're supposed to just like, be outside. you don't need any apple products involved

strongly disagree. i can enjoy the ride and also listen to a podcast or whatever at the same time

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

haveblue posted:

maybe listen to nature if you're biking for its own sake but if it's a utility or commute ride go ahead and cast those pods

life is too short to not multitask. also nature is more of a visual thing imo

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Casual Encountess posted:

i just want to know what could’ve been so bad about the power mat design that apple completely cancelled it

my guess is they couldn’t stop it from causing too much heat buildup

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

it won’t ruin it if you do it once, but if you leave the battery charged all the time it won’t be good for it in the long term. that said don’t micromanage poo poo like that cause it’s not worth your time, and it’s on the manufacturer to ensure the battery doesn’t sit at “100%” all the time. (or whatever actual percentage they charge the battery to which is represented as 100% to the user)

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

wireless charging remains wasteful and real dumb for the tiny convenience it provides.

the waste is negligible compared to our biggest consumers of energy

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

lol if you think the apple car will have a steering wheel. that’s not very apple

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

you can (and should) turn all that off

e: post instead of quote but autocorrect on a desktop keyboard is bad

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Juul-Whip posted:

how long have you been job searching? I say look at it like tinder dates. Theres thousands of them and only one of you, so you can expect most of them to not work out. That's fine. It's a numbers game, so you just keep trying until you get the winner. And all along you're getting better at interviews and learning more about your strengths, what kinda team you might fit in with and what you want from a job

this is good advice. also don’t apply to something you really want and then wait by the phone for a call or email. just apply to lots of stuff and rack up those numbers. (though there’s probably no point applying to anything you would never actually want to take)

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

mediaphage posted:

there's a lot of work being done in this area. i'd wager it's something that's going to come out eventually but not this year or next year. and then probably isn't going to be good enough for people who actually need it, like insulin-dependent diabetics

yeah if it exists it’ll probably be some kind of bs “wellness” sensor like the blood oxygen sensor from the series 6

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Jenny Agutter posted:

could you just run teams in a vm so when you inevitably accidentally click yes on the prompt it's not a huge issue?

just run teams in a browser. i don’t even run it on my work machine with 32gb ram because it’s such a terrible memory hog