Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

qirex posted:

the new spaceship is like 95% open plan

turns out 95% of employees are unimportant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

poty posted:

yeah those prices are no bargain. thanks for the info

when i was in riga a few years ago i was pretty surprised at how not-cheap everything was. given the pay disparity between what i was making and what the coworkers i was visiting were making i was expecting a similar different in CoL, but it didn't actually seem to even be much cheaper to live there.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

so apparently by default safari doesn't show the url at all for pages with a ev cert even though the names attached to ev certs aren't unique

brilliant design

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

protip: don't stick your hand in that spot that it's really awkward to stick you hand into while using the computer and you won't notice that there's hot air there

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Doc Block posted:

or you can turn off the secure boot thing before doing the update if it’s that big of a deal to you.

anybody who spends $5k on a computer but won’t spend another ~$150 for even a basic battery-backed UPS deserves whatever bad things happen to them.

I imagine most iMac pros will be used by companies or people with more than one Mac.

after 15 years of using exclusively laptops it didn't even occur to me at first that the power going out would be an issue with a desktop

then the power went out for the first time, i went durrr, pulled out my phone, and ordered a ups from amazon while still sitting in the dark

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

it's $1 to find out if a new battery would make your phone work gooder

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Last Chance posted:

does it throttle when its being charged

my 6s is throttled even at 100% charge while plugged in

The Management posted:

help, I can’t tell if my phone is running slower. how can I pay money to know if I should be worried about something that I can’t notice?

i think my phone is slow and it annoys me and i think it used to be faster. is it because of:

1. the battery is wearing out
2. ios 11 hosed it over
3. i'm just imagining things and it was actually always this slow

before benchmarking it i assumed it was #3

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

geekbench has baseline numbers published for each model, and i'm assuming there's no other reason to not be hitting those on an idle device with cool ambient temperatures

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

that notice does not appear for me despite my battery being at 60% of original capacity and throttling appearing to be in effect

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

there's a lot of gratuitous differences between appkit and uikit like uicolor and nscolor being unrelated types that makes some cross-platform code needlessly annoying to write. while i don't think universal apps would be a very good idea, it would be nice if they unified the parts that aren't particularly platform-specific.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

GenJoe posted:

can you name an example that isn't UIColor/NSColor because everything else that I am trying to come up with is separated for a really good reason

uiimage/nsimage and uifont/nsfont and the pile of associated classes

the uiview/nsview family isn't a gratuitous difference per se, but the uikit version is basically appkit 2.0 rather than a platform difference

textkit is basically just an improved api for existing appkit functionality

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

infernal machines posted:

when it hits a certain point yes. that point is below the one where the throttling kicks in though

the fact that the criteria for throttling and for displaying the notification that you should replace your battery are different is a bit of a problem, but it's basically just a bug resulting from two different teams working on mostly unrelated things not talking to each other enough and not some grand conspiracy to make you buy a new iphone

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

cis autodrag posted:

The battery is only 79 bucks? So this whole thing was people who could afford a 1000 dollar phone whining that they didn't want to pay 80 dollars for a battery and therefore Apple should defy physics to extend their battery life without decreasing performance? Apple users are fuckin babies apparently.

the problem is that people had to just magically know that the reason their phone was slow was because their battery was degraded. shorter battery life is an obvious symptom of a battery that needs to be replaced. slower performance even when plugged in is not, and there's nothing in the ui that indicates that it's happening

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

it doesn't matter how cheap or simple a solution to a problem is if you actively tell people that the solution doesn't exist

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

rjmccall posted:

i paid $400 for my x

i have been informed by management that the reason our department doesn’t do special employee rewards like ski trips or whatever is that they’d rather dedicate that money to bonus pools

i’m pretty ok with that

b-b-b-b-but team building!

yeah i'd take the bigger bonus instead unless they're able to get a huge bulk discount or something.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

developers who think the solution to every problem is a rewrite are the worst

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

that sure is a lot of words about the appearance of a chair that looks like it could come from office depot

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

there's an option to get a vesa mount instead of the built-in stand when you buy it

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

kwinklesOFFICIAL posted:

just buy a 2nd imac pro to use in target display mode

that hasn't existed for years

infernal machines posted:

i mean they used to, but they haven't for a couple years now. so you either have to find a reseller with old stock, or buy used

just have to wait for a local startup to go out of business and then buy one of their hundreds

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

they already announced they're shutting down the android stuff

hopefully it will lead to cloud-hosted xcode build bots or something

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

he compared ios 11.2 to 11.1 and for some reason concluded that any differences were due to the spectre mitigations. there were some much more significant changes between those versions, such as changes to the battery throttling on the device he was testing on.

everyone else that compares 11.2.1 to 11.2.2 has seen no difference

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Hello Spaceman posted:

keep seeing people say this and it's wrong
local copies remain, with changes/deletions syncing. only infrequently accessed files become online only.

usually when you say something is wrong you don't go on to agree that it happens two sentences later

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

i know webapps have trained you to expect every application to look and behave completely differently for no good reason, but desktop software used to value consistency between applications

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

that's a watchos limitation

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

they don't make those anymore

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

no new mac pro until 2019

why is apple so bad at making computers now?

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

the end result isn't something anyone should actually use but it's still a neat thing that was probably fun to get working

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

in 15 or so years of walking around wearing wired earbuds the wires have been a problem for me exactly zero times

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

The Management posted:

we’re talking about aesthetics. nobody was complaining about how ugly EarPods were. but cut the cord off and suddenly they’re intolerable

early on apple did a good job of marketing the distinctive white earbuds as a fashion statement, but for the last decade there's been no point in commenting on their appearance as there wasn't anyone claiming they were good.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

my 2.5 year old 6s has no scratches or cracks despite not being a case

if you need a case to not damage your property then that sounds like a problem with you

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

qirex posted:

since nothing has leaked does that mean there won't be anything interesting at wwdc?

[there will definitely be 20 minutes about how much more amazing organizing your photos of attractive people and the california coastline will be 6 months from now]

no leaks mostly just means no exciting hardware announcements. the software side of things is still pretty good at keeping secrets.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

qirex posted:

does that mean you like the hour they spend every keynote talking about how pages is Really Good Now We Swear?

there will also be new facemojis and they'll walk back ios invisible buttons slightly more

also they're going to completely redesign music.app again because it just wouldn't be a new ios version without that

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

coffeetable posted:

what's the current best alternative

a refurb 2015 mbp

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

he’s already pretty much done this by saying the next major releases will focus on bug fixes and stability

they said that about 10.13 too

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

it's a modest incremental improvement that you won't really notice

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

the courage to remove the shift keys and make you press really hard to type capital letters

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

qirex posted:

developers are probably glad for an excuse to be rid of it since it's all third party crapware their marketing people insisted on

yeah, any webdevs who give a gently caress want to stop having their site performance hosed by all the tracking garbage just as much as the users

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

eric posted:

High Sierra will be supported by most software for a long time.

except for xcode, which drops support for older os versions a few months after a new one comes out

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

fuckkkkin crappie, not announcing new hardware at their developers conference

not announcing new hardware at their developer conference is a very recent change. even after they moved iphones to a separate event they kept announcing mac updates at wwdc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

worst case scenario your phone explodes