Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

The Management posted:

is that why that is? I always assumed the hidpi compositor wasn’t happy with windows crossing between high and low dpi screens. I don’t actually know though.

this actually works mostly fine. the window is rendered at the highest dpi of any of the monitors it's on and downscaled for the other ones. there's a noticeable blur/unblur if you move the edge of a window on the low dpi monitor between straddling and not straddling the edge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

r u ready to WALK posted:

I'll accept the touchbar if it ever becomes a new row above the F keys.

That might even be an improvement over the regular keyboard design since the F keys would no longer have to pull double duty as media/system keys.
Although they'd have to bring back the correct cursor keys as well.

yeah, if they made an external keyboard where the touch bar was above the f-keys rather than instead of them i'd be all over that. it is occasionally nice to have; it's just not nice often enough to make up for how often it's worse

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

i never would have guessed that shoving two more cores into a computer that already had insufficient cooling would cause problems

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Cocoa Crispies posted:

to be fair pentium 4's pipeline was so long a branch prediction failure meant losing like three days of calculations

if you didn't want a 3 day pipeline stall maybe you should have just accepted the branch predictor's choice about what to calculate rather than insist on it being done your way

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

GenJoe posted:

is your brain literally incapable of understanding the point of incremental improvements?

each iteration of the macbook becomes a little smaller which over time results in a much more pleasant to use form factor. since 2008 the macbook pro has more than halved its weight and has shed a lot of dead space around the edges. because they are able to improve it in small iterations the macbook pro is now literally the 13" air except with actual good specs and a best-in-class laptop screen.

tim just needs to take away the touchbar and we will have reached peak good laptop

i've used and carried around both a 2012 mbp and a 2017 mbp and the formfactors are indistinguishable to me in spite of the 2017 one sacrificing a lot more in the name of thinness

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

maybe it's doing some overly clever thing where it drops the vowels in search terms and only matches the consonants to support that now-passe trend of dropping a vowel or two from your startup's name?

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

infernal machines posted:

how in the gently caress did the trashpro rate a "caution"?

the buying guide is mostly about telling you how far from an update we are so that you aren't the idiot who buys a brand new phone the day before they announce new models. we know that no new mac pro is coming this year, so by those standards it's not a "don't buy"

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

burgle is a backformation from buglar, and was predated by burglarize

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

so they create their own little avatar -- obviously this only works if they do it accurately -- and then they click a button and it shows them an "equivalently"-dressed woman. the amount of care the man puts into his appearance is translated into the female model and they get to see, through analogy, just how fuckable broader society considers them to be. maybe they discover, to their shock, that their video-game-opposite-gender-model is a fat girl with a flat ponytail wearing jeans that don't fit and a baggy tweety bird t-shirt.

what if i like the look of a girl with a flat ponytail wearing ill-fitting jeans and a baggy tshirt

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

my cycling shoes were $100 and 6 years/20k miles later are still in pretty good shape. amortized over the time spend wearing them they must be the cheapest footwear i've ever owned.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

qirex posted:

my hope for the youths is bass, once you hear it it's hard to go back to a beats pill

the vinyl buying trend is hilarious, though, ~50% of record buyers never actually play them. it's like a $20 mini-poster for a band you like

the only reason i buy any music merch is to give money to the band and have something to display that shows off what bands i like. decorative vinyl isn’t really my thing but it achieves both of those goals and i don’t see anything inherently wrong with it.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Doc Block posted:

wouldn’t earth have to be continuously increasing its acceleration for that to work? I mean, if it was moving upward at a constant rate of 9.8m/s2 then wouldn’t everything else on earth also be moving at that rate and thus not have any “downward” force applied?

sort of like how you only feel the acceleration in a car when it’s increasing, and once it’s constant you don’t notice because everything in the car is also moving at that rate and thus has no velocity relative to the car?

or how everyone taking a ride on those Vomit Comet planes doesn’t get slammed against the back wall of the cabin even though the plane is moving at hundreds of miles per hour?

or how the earth orbits the sun at 67000 mph yet we don’t go flying off because we’re also
moving with it at 67000 mph?

acceleration and speed are not the same thing. accelerating at a rate of 9.8 m/s^2 is very different from moving upward at a constant rate of 9.8m/s

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

depending on what "components" means 1425 might be really low. for comparison:

$ find /Applications -exec file {} \; | grep 'Mach-O 64-bit executable x86_64' | wc -l

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

poty posted:

if you do that the millennial will murder you and run away with both because thats 100x their net worth on that table

more like -.01x

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

it's been a few months since i upgraded and the lack of subpixel rendering on external displays still bothers me

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

at work i use a "wireless" apple keyboard and touchpad that have never not had the charging cable plugged in because why would i ever unplug it?

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Doc Block posted:

lmao that we can make cars produce almost no noise pollution, but are requiring manufacturers not to do so.

evs generate just as much highway noise as gas cars because at high speeds its not the engine generating the noise. cars going 15 mph are not a meaningful source of noise pollution to begin with.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Lambert posted:

They absolutely are in cities. The startup noise and idling noises alone are super annoying.

they aren’t adding fake startup and idling sounds to EVs, just fake noises at low speeds

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

my stepdads beer posted:

apples new campus is only reachable by car and it shows in their weird focus on siri (a thing only car havers use) and phones getting bigger and bigger (because you only use them while they're docked in the car)

"the campus is only reachable by car" was a dumb take from an idiot who didn't realize that apple doesn't tell the general public about their transit systems that the general public can't use because they aren't allowed onto the campus.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Kobayashi posted:

You're stanning for the greenwashing champion of the world https://www.apple.com/environment/

i don't think defending your employer particularly counts as stanning

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

rapeface posted:

love walking through narrow tall hallway covered in rough stone to get into my house everyday

that looks like an entryway you use to welcome guests to your house and otherwise don't use

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Hoobastank4ever97 posted:

Microsoft themselves probably have to in their agreement with the codec creator.

yes, oddly enough microsoft is less willing to just violate patents than some random dudes making oss and they also don't want to pay for a license for you

h264 had this thing where the licensing fee capped out at 100k units so all the big vendors could ship it as much as they wanted for a one-time lump fee, but hevc "fixed" that

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

graph posted:

how are these features not more documented. what the gently caress tim

apple software has this thing where they simultaneously want to jam in every feature you actually need while appearing to have zero features so that normal users aren't overwhelmed. the solution is magic incantations.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Lambert posted:

You can't even change your mail client on Ios. Android is way better.

yes you can. the browser is the only thing you can't meaningfully replace these days.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

the monitor inside the imac isn't free? idk, that seems like a pretty big difference, but maybe your big apple brain knows something i don't

the monitor is like 1k at most

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

aren't those the models that apple engineers have to use?

why would the hardware designers give a poo poo about that?

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

i like the magic touchpad and i can't think of anything i'd want to change about it

probably the only apple product i've ever owned which that is true of

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

it's probably spotlight and/or icloud

it's spotlight yeah. you have to temporarily turn it off if you were hoping to use your computer the same day you install mojave

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

it wasn't an issue until mojave, so it's probably just a bug in the throttling rather than a lack of any throttling

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Shifty Pony posted:

I'm pretty sure I've seen people complaining about performance immediately post-install for several macOS releases now. is it just horribly worse in Mojave?

yeah, a lot worse. it's always been slow but in previous versions the machine was at least usable while it was happening

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

SRQ posted:

wwdc next week, who's got the hot betS?

imma bet that the new mac pro isn't announced or mentioned. sub-bet: it goes the way of airpower [in that they couldn't make it work given their stupid design size constraints]
macos 10.15 works on less models than normal because they want to go all-retina, so only 2014+ [with the airs fromt his period just being grandfathered in and working like poo poo]
ios the next one has user profiles on ipad pro
services, something that we took for granted as free now has a cost [which apple excuses by calling it Service+] or some new part of MacOS 15 is monetized

msbp have been retina since 2012

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Ruffian Price posted:

retina means nothing if it doesn't imply a specific dpi, the values changed over the years between laughable and admittedly pretty good in both directions

idk about the other models but the retinas pro of a given size have all had the same native resolution

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

long press on the keyboard and force touch on the keyboard do different things that are both useful

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

the news app is like the end result of someone at apple trying to prove eschaton wrong by making a native app that’s even worse than a lovely web app

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

i look forward to replacing our rack-mounted minis and trash cans with an actual piece of server hardware.

although i wonder if the two vms per physical machine licensing restriction is still there. that'd be an actual issue with 20 core machines

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

the built-in copy of ruby is an endless source of nightmares for actually doing anything with ruby

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

FMguru posted:

this is true about all versions of ruby, though

well yes, but the system ruby issues are an entirely additive set of issues on top of all of the ones you get inherently from using ruby

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

what percentage of people actually uses real bash anyways compared to dash/ash/etc

100%? dash and ash are implementations of sh, not bash. dash in particular isn't intended for interactive use at all.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

The Management posted:

parallels is very easy to use

parallels is a piece of poo poo that makes your computer kernel panic on a regular basis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

change your vms over to use the apple hypervisor but yeah I think OSX 10.15 is doing away with kernel extensions so lovely software stops nuking the system

pulse vpn client completely kills the network stack on mojave when you try to connect to an srx until you reboot

10.15 is adding user mode ways to do stuff that currently requires kexts but it’s not taking the step of killing kexts yet. they do generally give us a few years to migrate for that sort of thing.