Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Scott Forstall posted:

lol, you treat it like someone’s name. you don’t put an article in front of someone’s name.

there’s extensive internal documentation about this that I’d be happy to not share with you because I like my job, but I can promise you it’s there.

tl;dr - Phil is right.

it being written on a piece of paper or in a pdf or something somewhere doesn't actually make it any less insufferable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

carry on then posted:

pages 09 was good but the new one can't even display two pages side by side

page '17

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

The Management posted:

you can stop reading right there.

well that's the end of the quote so

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Generic Monk posted:

i wonder why they removed it. guess the £1 part on the £1500 computer was just too much for timb to stomach

it probably added a few micrometers of depth and we all know how important thinness is for desktop machines, especially in the dimension you can't perceive when using it

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

depends on the airline and your waistline

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

stymie irl

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

this man is a professional writer

people pay him to take thoughts and put them into words

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

The Management posted:

tech “journalist” is not a writer

historians will call this the "dvorak effect"

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

poty posted:

nevermind just found that theres a hidden feature in "about this mac" -> hard drives -> manage where you can say you want the documents and photos folders synced to icloud automatically

thats like 99% of what i wanted to save so good enough

also it will delete it from your local storage so you don't have to worry about someone stealing that data from the machine

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Last Chance posted:

reminder that iCloud Drive is NOT backup, it's a sync solution so use it as a backup with care and caution

especially since in apple cloud language "sync" means "delete"

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Last Chance posted:

yes, file deletions are synced, so exercise caution

i was referring to the way they delete your local copies upon upload

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

cant wait for the Ipad version of pro tools

might actually require more dongles than running it on a trash can does now, which is a hell of a feat

johny does it again

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Partycat posted:

, and if they have a jack , it could be a TRRS jack - meaning if you want your old school in and out you need an adapter anyways.

what

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

DELETE CASCADE posted:

because ipads and laptops are different, if they were the same you wouldn't have two product lines

give them a few more years and this won't be a concern anymore

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

qirex posted:

you should only use adobe products originally developed by aldus

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Shifty Pony posted:

because Forbes is a glorified blogging platform that pays based on ad impressions and clickbait titles work.

also every new iOS release these days has a nasty surprise

cargo culting "one more thing"

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

infernal machines posted:

it's not missing, it's right there on the touchbar, sometimes.

no, not there, over a bit. wait, too far, now music is playing

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

eh gently caress it, why don't you just buy a new iPhone case

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

OldAlias posted:

Montreal bagels are the best

Montreal bagels are like Chicago pizza: a good food that has inexplicably appropriated the name of a totally different food

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

it's the legacy of Andy Hertzfeld

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Shaggar posted:

I thought they were still g5s. idk. they were bad either way

they used the same form factor as the g5s

major difference with the Intel ones is that the cooling system didn't explode and destroy your machine

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Fiedler posted:

libertarian? i thought he was in favor of big government telling corporations that there are things they're not allowed to do (that being, anything that makes his job harder).

in what way is this inconsistent with the libertarians you know

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

apple is replacing my top case over a single broken key for free :qq:

this is one gruber-rear end take

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

or maybe gruber rear end-take

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Good Sphere posted:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208204

Install apps

After selecting an app in the App Store, double-click the side button to install it.

what the gently caress

what happened to the install button

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

akadajet posted:

it's like they took a system that worked perfectly and replaced it with something over complicated and lovely

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Phoenixan posted:

i don't know if macos was ever usuable prior to 10.9. i only bought a mac around then because windows 10 was so bad

macos peaked at 10.6

everything since has been an active attempt to prevent the user from doing work on a mac

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

infernal machines posted:

a waste of effort tbf, it hasn't been possible to do work on a mac since long before os x

cheese grater Mac pro made a great pro tools rig but apple found ways of shutting that whole thing down

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Chris Knight posted:

nice four month old blog post I guess

thanks especially for making it a multi-screen-tall image instead of linking or pasting the text

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Lambert posted:

God is all about subpar input methods, huh.

i mean look at how His son was conceived

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Shaggar posted:

I have a xps 15 9550 which was the first release of this design and im gonna replace it w/ the 9580. the 9550 works great but the numbers are bigger on the 9580.

I just got a precision 5530 with the 4k screen and it's an absolutely fantastic piece of hardware, nosecam notwithstanding

also the brushed onyx case is gorgeous

very needs suiting

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i am just going to assume your employer spent the extra money on the precision to dodge the dreadful 'killer' wireless on the regular xps 15 (the rest of the differences amount to the 'xeon' and 'quadro' labels, which rather rarely come with a hardware difference of any real relevance)

this is the exact reason and also why you don't want to buy an XPS13 for personal use (the wireless card is soldered to the motherboard, whereas at least with the 15 you can swap it out yourself)

and the trackpad owns and also you can replace ram/ssd yourself

keyboard is a bit mushy but it's better than even the one on the pre-butterfly MacBook

in conclusion shaggar was right

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

butt dickus posted:

when did this start? i was able to swap the card on a 2016 model.

with the 9370 I think

whichever one got rid of all the ports

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

i have a thinkpad x220 that's been good to me

when i looked into upgrading the wifi card i discovered that lenovo puts a whitelist in the bios and you have to re-flash the bios to put a different card in

lol

lol owned

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Shaggar posted:

the precisions are more desktop replacement so its kind of hard to recommend them as an actual laptop.

Only the 7k series, the 3ks are perfectly serviceable laptops (along the lines of the T480) and the 5ks are literally just XPS 15s with more configuration options and actual quality control applied

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

pro tools

haven't followed that world for a while now but I know the studio where I worked in 2014 was super stoked about having to replace all their HDs with thunderbolt versions

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Schadenboner posted:

Are there any laptops with a discrete GPU that aren’t terrible? It can even be a landboat, it just has to be luggable not portable per-se?

https://system76.com/laptops/oryx

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Schadenboner posted:

Will it take other free Operating Systems (e.g. Windows 10 Pro: the most advanced Windows operating system ever)?

E: or Server 16/19?

yeah it's basically a Clevo with a non-mac os linux and they just refreshed it

you can get nearly the same machine qith windows preinstalled from any og a million sick gamer Clevo resellers but at least the machine itself isnt too offensive

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

echinopsis posted:

I read sick gamer and I came is that what you wanted

:greenangel:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Schadenboner posted:

So what’s the least-worst lappy with a 2060 then?

it will probably be the new xps 15 if they figure out the thermals

edit: or if you're okay with a Quadro then one of the precisions