Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
phone in left, wallet + keys in right is the objectively correct pants pockets configuration

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

infernal machines posted:

the camera bump exists because iphones form the 6 on have been designed to require a case for normal use.

look at that big honking wart on the iphone x and tell me that poo poo wasn't meant to be hidden
i don't really see it when i look at my phone tbqh

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

lol if you don’t wear the skinniest jeans you can manage. or joggers, those are good too

I’m still using my 6S Plus but I am looking forward to getting the iPhone XI because this piece of poo poo dies by about 7p and it’s real annoying. has anything leaked about the XI? I haven’t kept up with Apple stuff since I left
i heard from some coworkers the other day that they had discontinued the iphone x but i just assumed they read a blog post about how oled screens were difficult to produce which according to an analyst means apple can't make iphones x anymore. i didn't look into it though.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
idk it seems pretty apparent to me

Only registered members can see post attachments!

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Perplx posted:

wireless charing isn't worth having a glass phone
i don't have a wireless charger for my iphone x but i would use one in my car if i knew there was a good car one

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Endless Mike posted:

wait, do the 8 and x have nfc that has arbitrary usage? because last i checked, it's been in everything since the 6, but only usable for apple pay
if i put my locked x on the nfc reader on my laptop it'll prompt me to do an apple pay

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
their vertical docks are nice

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
lol if you spend 3k on a computer but only end up with 16GB. what the hell did you spend all your money on

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Doc Block posted:

LOL that they’re trying to backtrack and say it was actually a joke about a $3000 computer only having 16GB RAM max.
they are incredibly dumb https://twitter.com/swiftonsecurity/status/1002977437590999040

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BnLbv6QYcA&hd=1

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/developar/status/1003959954833924096

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
i'm pretty sure that's not what dark mode means

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
i like mobile safari over mobile chrome because i can tell mobile safari that i'm in private mode and it will open every single new link, even ones from a third-party app, in a private mode tab until i tell it that i don't want to be in private mode anymore

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

GenJoe posted:

yes i understand the distinction here but do you think like 98% of users are going to know to do this
98% of apple users don't know how finder works?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
i probably haven't touched a mac in half that time but i know it's a thing

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
windows 10 added virtual desktops and changed up the window switcher some more, but like shaggar said those have been in other linuxes for ages and aren't significant changes

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Lysidas posted:

this is good, searching from the address bar is Bad and Wrong and lol if you do not disable that garbage in good browsers like firefox

Lysidas posted:

the address bar is for web addresses, the search bar to the right of that is for searching

this is very simple
what an incredibly wrong opinion

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

pram posted:

please stop linking linus videos thx
there's one where he describes building some fileserver box but the way he did it was a hardware raid on three controllers each, and then a software raid from windows on the logical disks exposed by those controllers. i think one of the controllers died and because they had no backups they had to pay a forensic company to recover the data. he's a tremendous idiot and people should stop watching or sharing his videos.

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jun 10, 2018

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Drastic Actions posted:

his videos are lovely but his thumbnails are on point
https://twitter.com/robwhisman/status/735281634656669696

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i still encounter scaling problems daily on my work machine, including first party software and windows system menus and utilities
sometimes if you do a search into the start menu its results are not shown at the same scale as the rest of the desktop

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

thats what happens when you violate god's law and run a windows above 1920x1080
1920x1200 for me please

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Sagebrush posted:

oh hey have you seen what happens the first time you start up a new installation of adobe illustrator? (or indesign or photoshop and probably a bunch of other things in their suite too)

fortunately you can switch it back to regular mode easily but omfg why is this the default

i'm just counting down the days until i see one of my students using this interface as their primary, having no idea that they can change it, or -- worse -- having gotten so used to it that they don't want to
is it not supposed to look like that

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Lysidas posted:

just got a lenovo usb-c dock for my thinkpad, to use at home, so i can plug in one cable instead of 4-5 to use the monitor keyboard mouse and ethernet in the office

had the dock delivered to work, played with it a bit and on a whim asked my office mate to plug his anroid phone into it via usb-c

everything worked as you would expect a pc to: keyboard (though anroid nicely asked for authorization to enable the physical keyboard), mouse cursor showed up on the screen, phone display was mirrored to displayport external monitor, ethernet device was detected and im sure would have worked fine if not for university network requring mac addresses to be authorized

i am now seriously considering buying a usb-c - lightning cable to try this with a iphone, just to see what happens -- im fine being out $5 or $10 if no external stuff works
best case scenario it charges the iphone, worst case scenario something breaks

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

It's probably for the best. Winding cords up on things like that leads to repetitive stress that messes up the insulation or internally damages the conductors.
and who's ever seen a broken or frayed apple power cord

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
there's a ton of people in the replies saying they must've hit a speed bump too fast or that something else is their fault, and that non-electric cars catch fire all the time

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Soricidus posted:

they’re going to replace it with iPhone++

and cancel all non-plus iPhone models
objPhone doesn't have quite the same ring to it

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

PleasureKevin posted:

haha, looks like elon was probably aware this story was about to be published and started panicking

https://www.theinformation.com/articles/uber-neglected-simulation-testing-on-self-driving-cars-insiders-say

they didn’t test auto pilot dear god
nice paywall kevin

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
you know the tesla is both good and something they put a lot of thought into designing by the little details, like how they replaced the console with a touchscreen that requires you to navigate through menus to do things like change a/c or the radio

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

infernal machines posted:

remember how the model 3 had worse braking distance than an old 60s land yacht with drum brakes because they miscalibrated the abs so badly?

remember how no one caught this and they only noticed because consumer reports panned the car for literally being dangerously unsafe?

teslas loving rule dude!
but they fixed it via an over-the-air update!!! how cool is that!!!! now you don't even need to take your car back to the dealership when your car is broken by design!!!!!

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Evis posted:

this means someone could also disable the brakes entirely in an update, does it not?
noooo, of course not, the only thing they'll push ota is updates! fixes! they'll definitely test those updates better than the ones they install on the cars when they leave the factory!

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/TrevorLess/status/871864741878263810

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
there aren't lunix commands you could run?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
diskpart clean in windows won't format hfs+ so couldn't you wipe the disk or the partition table with a command-line tool, or are you saying the macos cli is literally incapable of making those filesystem operations

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Kobayashi posted:

BeOS is the best file system.
          /

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
shaggar was right????