Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
what i've heard is that some older systems are (unnecessarily) sensitive to some of those bands, so it's not like turning on your ipod can just summarily make the plane drop out of the sky like wile e coyote, but each transmission adds a little noise to some comm channel, and with enough devices at once it can become unusable

i have no idea if that's actually true tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
i finally went to upgrade from my 5s. i was definitely expecting to not like the x and just go with the 8, but actually the x felt pretty great and i haven't regretted getting it at all. it's basically the plus-sized screen on a non-plus body, which means there isn't much appreciable extra weight and your thumb doesn't have any trouble getting across it if you do need to swipe right. you don't notice the notch when using it because the main status controls just naturally fit on either side. faceid works great, i haven't needed to put in my passcode at all, i just pick it up and swipe and it unlocks. yeah yeah blessed size whatever, i got really tired of the 5s screen, i don't watch regularly movies on it or anything but just reading the web or watching the occasional linked youtube is so much better on even a slightly larger screen

this has been your word from apple

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
i paid $400 for my x

cis autodrag posted:

Food services is another thing I think they do worse lol. The major reason to work there is salary and rsus imo.

i have been informed by management that the reason our department doesn’t do special employee rewards like ski trips or whatever is that they’d rather dedicate that money to bonus pools

i’m pretty ok with that

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

also, at least at the time, cupertino's "best" korean restaurant was, shall we say, lacking in authenticity. at least relative to the best of mid-size cities in the midwest!

sorry that the koreans in the south bay didn't specifically open their restaurants in the right suburb for your personal convenience. maybe there's like an official board you can complain to

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
i don't think real meat is actually getting all that much more expensive. beef, yes, but all meat, no

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
face id works great, the notch is fine, the gestures you gradually learn exactly like you gradually learned all the ways that you could use the home button

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
the only time it reliably fails and annoys me is when it’s sitting on a pillow and my face is obviously not in view. i assume i’ll internalize this lesson in another week or so

i guess i don’t generally try to use my phone when getting gang-tackled in the middle of a rugby pitch or whatever the gently caress you’re doing, though

swiping from the top is so much more reliable than it ever was with my 5s, because a swipe from the bits next to the notch always counts

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
i can’t say much, but i will say that they will be managed as part of the developer tools department, which is primarily xcode plus the underlying tools (including the llvm, clang, and swift teams)

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

unit sales were disappointing

but

average sales prices considerably exceeded expectations, so total earnings are pretty good

unit sales were up if you adjust for the quarter being a week shorter than last year’s

the only actual negative news is that the mac is still in decline because that group has its head up its rear end

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
i want someone to tie sir jony ives to a desk until he makes a mac that's rack-mountable

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

The Management posted:

they tried that with xserves. nobody bought them. but more importantly, there’s nobody working on optimizing macOS for server workloads and that’s why [long list of internal systems] are terrible.

i don’t want a goddamned million-core beast server like it’s 1998, and i don’t care about optimizing for response latency. i want an easily-maintainable server farm full of cheap buildslaves that can be legally licensed to run macos

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
this is exactly why that group has its head up its rear end, we have literally millions of developers who want to buy big beefy laptops and high-specced desktops and a ton of interchangeable machines to feed the insatiable needs of their distributed build/ci systems, and meanwhile they’re making low-spec dual-gpu toys for media professionals who were never that big of a market and mostly left the platform years ago and who care deeply about peripherals that they can’t hook up to their macs anymore

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Shaggar posted:

the market for osx build machines is way, way smaller than that prosumer market.

you don’t need specs to appeal to the prosumer market

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
i'm just saying you don't need to specifically design hardware for prosumers, you just need a range of specs so they can buy the better ones. also they're not probably buying like mac minis in appreciable numbers anyway

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
as a non-gpu person i have to ask, is there a reason why designing a discrete gpu would be significantly more difficult than designing an integrated gpu?

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
hrm, alright, that’s an interesting way to look at it

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

GameCube posted:

in 2011 i was drunk and made a joke on twitter about david pogue beating his wife with an iphone and he DMed me asking me to hear his side of the story. i felt bad and deleted my account

jfc

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
there’s only so ruined apple can be by the spaceship, since the vast majority of the company is not moving in. i think it’s just the executives, the industrial designers, and some select app engineering teams

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
every 32gb laptop is a big clunker because intel literally doesn't make mobile chipsets that support that much memory. they've been promising to do it for years and repeatedly failing. so a laptop with 32gb is running with a desktop chipset and trying its best to make do

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

cinci zoo sniper posted:

oh. well, that explains quite a lot, sadly

yeah. all the skylake mobile processors only support 16gb max, and only lpddr3 or ddr3l. kaby lake... well, "kaby lake" covers a lot of different chips with a lot of different capabilities, but the newer ones finally support 32gb and sometimes 64gb, generally of either lpddr3, ddr3l, or sometimes ddr4. none of them support lpddr4 yet, which is a shame because the power drop is pretty big. anyway the earliest of those chips started shipping at the start of last year, so most laptops are still based on older chips, so they generally don't go up to 32gb unless they're actually based around a desktop chip

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

akadajet posted:

maybe these idiots should stop making an ide based on the shell of iTunes

why are you under the impression that xcode has anything to do with itunes

is it because they use some of the same art

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

akadajet posted:

geeze, I have no idea

yeah, so it's because they use some of the same art

this is going to rock your world, but check it out: image files can be used in multiple places (but i bet xcode doesn't even use the same image files)

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

infernal machines posted:

i am constantly amazed that this seemingly simple skill eludes people. especially because automated routing is absolutely heinous in a lot of scenarios so having some idea where you're going and how to get there neatly sidesteps the problem of some idiot weighting algo deciding to send you through hell's half-acre

maybe it's growing up walking and taking pubtrans, imo but you generally want to have some idea of how to get where you're going, before you leave.

a good friend's boyfriend was once giving me a ride to a party and needed to pick me up from the liquor store. this was in a warehouse district basically next to his neighborhood, less than half a mile away but on the other side of a pretty gnarly freeway intersection. for sf posters, this was the bevmo on bayshore, coming from like portrero and 24th. so i tell him, look, i know these roads, it's annoying to get here by car, i'm going to walk across the street so you can just come through the intersection and pick me up at like a bus stop instead of trying to make a bunch of terrible turns to get into this exact parking lot, here's exactly what you should do. and he just absolutely cannot handle it, because he has no intention of just following these super-simple directions, he needs a street address that he can put into his gps. so i say fine, i'll just wait in the parking lot, and of course he fucks up even following the gps and he misses his turn and tries to make the next one except that's no good because sure it goes back to the main street but you can't turn left there and he ends up orbiting around these warehouses for like five minutes trying to figure out how to get through to where i am. eventually he shows up and he's obviously super pissed off but trying to make a good show of it and my friend is just sitting there rigid and embarrassed, and we try our best to leave him alone for the rest of the trip

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

NEED MORE MILK posted:

this is more because people dont know how to loving lay out a city and streets than anything else

if only every city were on a featureless infinite plain so that the perfection of the grid system would never need to be compromised :trainwithasingletear:

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
the streets are aligned with the cardinal directions here in manhattan if you’re a little drunk

fake edit: they’re also aligned with the cardinal directions in brooklyn if you’re really really drunk

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
people are poo poo at estimating the total angular distance they've turned, especially if they're paying close attention to other cars like you have to in a roundabout. counting exits is absolutely the right thing to do even in a simple two-way intersection, assuming there isn't something even better like clearly labelled unique signage for each exit

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

The Management posted:

rdar:21942069
component: Maps | Navigation
title: roundabout directions derailing apple thread
description: some dummy foreigners can’t handle the concept of roundabout exits being numbered sequentially, causing them to attempt to fix something that isn’t broken. this leads others to debate them about things nobody cares and general sperging. the derail has no end in sight.
repro steps: post in yospos apple thread about roundabouts
analysis: everyone should be probed
priority: p4 (ignore forever)
keywords: yospos, roundabouts, snakes on a radar, lose six beers, this is why we can’t have nice things

i enjoyed this post

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

cis autodrag posted:

Man, whatever you have to say about Tim cook's business acumen, there's no denying that Apple has a great culture under him so who gives a gently caress as long as we're still making money? This is the first tech company I've worked at where people haven't treated me like an animal for being a lesbo.

:glomp:

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

The Management posted:

software is infinitely reproducible, it doesn’t matter if you make one or one hundred million. the limit is team’s ability to meet the schedule. if you keep piling on releases and increasing the number of devices that are supported then the team is always converging so can’t make forward progress, features get punted or released with bugs, technical debt piles up and no one has any time to work it down. so they react to that by increasing process which slows everything down more and makes the problem worse. rinse, repeat.

aren’t you a hardware engineer

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
i used to use my ipad all the time, but i eventually just got frustrated at it because that generation (the 3rd) just didn't ship with enough ram to be reasonably future-proof, which is the sort of bullshit that we deserve to get called out for

i'll probably get a pro after the next refresh

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
why would you do serious cad work without a mouse anyway, it's not like that wouldn't equally suck on a pc laptop

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
the easiest way is to cmd-up from applications, or “open /“ from a terminal

if it’s your account and this is something you actually do a lot (???) you should just pin it in favorites ofc

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
you could absolutely recharge it, electricity wasn't very well standardized in 1918 but the units certainly were and the voltage/frequency/amperage requirements are literally written on the plug

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
i appreciate that the british care enough to keep old traditions alive, like lawyers wearing absurd wigs, or pubs putting up pictures of the queen, or pickpocketing being an actual crime that still happens to people

if you told that me literal highway robbery was common in england, with cars pulling up to "lorries" on the mi-5 bypass and pointing old-timey revolvers at them, i wouldn't be surprised

endearing, really

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
i had this beautiful post lolling at people who still worry about pickpockets, but i guess it got eaten

anyway lol at people who still worry about pickpockets

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
oh no there it is

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
i’m just shitposting. for a variety of reasons, pickpocketing is basically nonexistent in the us

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

James Baud posted:

Well seriously, if they grab your wallet and run, you just shoot them. What's a Brit going to do? Affix a pocketknife to the nearest long stick and wish they were any good at hurling a javelin?

apparently people's best guess is that pickpocketing lore has basically died out in the us and nobody knows how to do it properly anymore. it's hard to be a surreptitious pickpocket, and it used to get passed down generation to generation, oliver-twist-like, but that doesn't happen anymore. also wallets just aren't as valuable anymore because people carry less cash and credit cards have gotten harder to fence, so the grab-and-run thieves just specialize in cell phones

rjmccall fucked around with this message at 00:14 on May 13, 2018

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
making the phone thin enough to be comfortable with a case was good. cases are part of the designed product

i don’t know what madness took over the mac hw group but i’ve heard they might have seen the light

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

hey they finally made keynote good for something

keynote is good, op

the rest of the suite is needs-suiting as long as your needs are pretty small, but keynote is pretty good