Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
yeah google does return noticeably better results than ddg for a lot of stuff, though i feel like ddg has come a long way since the first time I tried it years ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

why was there a Minecraft version for appletv :psyduck:

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Endless Mike posted:

yeah i wish my laptop was two inches thick so i could have a loving dvi port all of the ports because I want a new laptop but also want to be a peripheral cheapass/dinosaur

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Toady posted:

i wish i could get the 17-inch macbook pro back, unapologetically large and powerful, with plenty of room for ports. i realize 17-inch laptops are out of vogue, though

i love my "desktop replacements" in TYOOL late 2018

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

its not 2002, if you need wired ethernet on your laptop suck it up and use a dongle

but the ancient router that i use because I can load another OS on it and janitor it doesn't support a fast wireless standard :qq:

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
the only time you should be checking temp is like for big roasts and related or when smoking otherwise you’re just a failure at cooking :colbert:

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
also what’s the temperature of chicken is broken English as gently caress and you didn’t nearly get what you deserved

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Cocoa Crispies posted:

you can also safely cook it at 145°F

turns out there's no one "temperature for chicken"

https://www.seriouseats.com/2015/07/the-food-lab-complete-guide-to-sous-vide-chicken-breast.html

actually the temperature for chicken on 2018-10-12 is a high of 44*F/6*C

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
why do nerds use 90% of the poo poo they use; how the hell is amazons echo and related devices a viable product; etc

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
nerds who like voice poo poo a ton are probably the same nerds that love tesla fuckery and love having thousands of dollars in AV equipment that nobody can figure out how to use

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
what are these people doing to their keyboards

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
i'm so out of the loop on timphones that i have no idea what models there are and what they mean anymore

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
yeah but now they have like R models? I feel like its the C all over again

then they had/have the stebephone still around?

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
so the R is the poorphone?

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
tbh I have mutant hands in a bad way (symmetric brachydactyly) and I haven’t cared about phone dimensions that much

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
it's almost like you can solve problems more explicitly through politics rather than just pushing an impossible technical janitorial task to the populace :thunk:

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
i mean i wouldn't say that you don't know why

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
if there's one thing powerful people have done really effectively wrt the very conservative US democracy and many others is just beating out any concept of political imagination from people

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
i actually get super annoyed by the keyboard cycling; it sometimes just follows the worst pattern

"yes of course I want to switch to the russian keyboard after entering an emoji after just typing in latin script"

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Sniep posted:

i thought as cpu/gpu power increased, cad/cam poo poo just went deeper into material sciences and simulation, like, i know 20 years ago you couldnt even run the poo poo locally to do the fluid modeling of different oils and poo poo in engine design or w/e and now that's prolly all local, etc

i stopped caring about that in 2000 tho as i gave up on ever being a ME

yeah I was just thinking that a lot of engineers want to do stuff locally now that maybe you had one of those wacky back office mini-Crays for before

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I mean I feel like I’ve seen some wacky Chinese phones covered with cameras

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Forgot about this little number too

https://www.nokia.com/phones/en_int/nokia-9-pureview

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I enjoy that searching for that immediately returns tons of imagery that would trigger someone that suffers from it

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
so is this some kind of "did you know my children's toy works with my big kids toy" humble posting or what?

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
iPad Pros use USB-C though right?

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
the usb c disparager has logged on

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
a lot to be desired by normal people or a lot to be desired by weird bikeshedding nerds?

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
lol straight up being That Laptop Nerd right now

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
yeah I saw those on the site the other day but didn't even bother to look at the price because I don't give a poo poo about all that weird Mac Pro tat that they sell

like that insane display system

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

echinopsis posted:

ok remember I said I was 4

so.. stocks exist.. and apple buys their own stocks.. does that take them out or circulation? is it an attempt to “undo” going public? at least to some extent?

if a company didn’t need money while staying private be beneficial?

It’s a way to attempt to increase the value of a stock by just simply reducing the supply and executives love it because it’s easy

It’s also another reason to hang them all because it basically produces no new economic activity and purely benefits shareholders magical number go up

It’s why you should never let companies have tax jubilees because it’s entirely likely that they’ll do that instead of any kind of capital investments

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

nah, it is actually kind of good from this perspective, as it removes one level of fake numbers from the world. i.e. the fake idea of a huge pile of imaginary generic value ("money") owned through a bunch of shares goes away, making the shares an ever so slightly less fake idea of owning a bit of a business which, presumably, does some things (gets iphones built and sold).

cash should really only exist in a transitory state. if at all.

you’re right, using that pile of money for this possible one degree of separation from useful economic activity is totally better then using it for actual economic activity like developing and building another product or something

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
lol all these posters falling on their knees for making owners richer vs Anything Else

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
people keep talking about this ARM stuff year after year but idk I just don't get why anyone cares

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I mean obviously everything should just move back to POWER

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
They really have loved alternating between normal forms and just bizarre ones with the pro

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I guess I’m blurring it with the power mac

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I do wish the apples still lit up :smith:

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
My work laptop still isn’t on it but my personal one is and it’s ok and I have things ported over to zsh and all that

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
People use the mail app?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
wait does somebody use Macs for POS systems?

:doubleentendre: :getin: