Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aino Minako
Dec 16, 2007

Perpetual rage elemental

omg I used to loooooove reading Pen Computing magazine when I was young. i used to lust over all the crazy devices and OSes. eventually I bought a NEC mobilepro 880 for cheap second-hand, and always considered that close to the ideal laptop size. it was perfect for school work at the time.

now, for me, that niche is filled by the… 2017 MacBook i5 16gb! also bought cheap second hand because it has a dent in the corner but runs fine. the last gen models are not at all slow like the early model, and it’s still strikingly small. the 11” iPad Pro and magic keyboard weigh _more_ than the MacBook, and the OS isn’t nearly as capable.

come on Tim apple! bring it back and stick a M1 or whatever in it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aino Minako
Dec 16, 2007

Perpetual rage elemental

The Mighty Mouse “scroll wheel” was actually a ball, so it can scroll vertically and horizontally. It also featured the worst quality of a ball mouse: poo poo gets trapped inside and then it can’t scroll in any direction! also there’s no way to remove the ball it to clean it out!

The solution was to rub it vigorously upside down on the ball with lots of pressure on an alcohol pad, until enough alcohol got into the ball hole to wet whatever was inside and get dislodged from ball friction.

Aino Minako
Dec 16, 2007

Perpetual rage elemental

infernal machines posted:

lmao. i have a 2017 mbp that just completely poo poo itself with monterey that can't be recovered using the recovery environment because somehow the apple installer certificates have expired.

gg apple, you loving hacks.

bro just run your own dns host with a record for time.apple.com that points to your own ntp host that returns a time before the cert expired bing bang boom so simple

Aino Minako
Dec 16, 2007

Perpetual rage elemental

https://www.macrumors.com/2022/04/27/self-service-repair-iphone-massiive-kit/

quote:

On its Self Service Repair website, Apple says that the rental kits include two cases, one weighing 43 pounds and the other weighing 36 pounds. Stacked on top of each other, the cases will measure 20 inches in width and 47 inches in height. Thankfully, both cases include wheels for easy transportation.

what the gently caress

Aino Minako
Dec 16, 2007

Perpetual rage elemental

Beeftweeter posted:

this was from when i was in florida (obviously)

why would you do that. wtf.

Drs Lane and Hansen carpooled that day

Aino Minako
Dec 16, 2007

Perpetual rage elemental

Beeftweeter posted:

since she's not home right now an older pic will have to do, but here's me holding the palm phone

drat thing's smaller than a credit card. i actually have another somewhere around here i bought to gently caress around with but lol it's small and i don't know where

the palm phone is amazing. I also bought a fire sale refurb and use it for work. it’s so easy to carry around and barely know it’s there. with nova launcher it’s just like any other android phone. playing videos or streaming games is fun but not really practical. however, it’s perfectly fine for checking email, calendar, and slack.

the battery life is bad, and they get hot during use and charging. there’s a mophie battery case that at least doubles the length (and the volume :v:) and adds wireless charging. it’s also super cheap because nobody bought them.

if you can get a palm phone cheap they are still super cool.

Aino Minako
Dec 16, 2007

Perpetual rage elemental

Beeftweeter posted:

yup, she has the mophie case too (and the one i'm trying to find atm also has it. found that, but not the phone, lol) and it definitely at least doubles it which gets you roughly a day's use. it's really a shame the battery is so small, i could totally rock it as my daily phone if it didn't die so fast

the cameras are actually pretty drat impressive too for the size

come on, Tim Palm! bring back the palm phone!!

Aino Minako
Dec 16, 2007

Perpetual rage elemental

Jonny 290 posted:

oddly enough i decided to learn how that works and i love it and use it all the time

stage manager iPad multitasking is so bad, it made me appreciate regular iPad multitasking

Aino Minako
Dec 16, 2007

Perpetual rage elemental

https://www.macrumors.com/2022/09/08/steve-jobs-daughter-iphone-14-meme/

quote:

Following Apple's "Far out" event that included the launch of the updated iPhone 14 and ‌iPhone 14‌ Plus, Steve Jobs' daughter Eve Jobs took to her Instagram to share a meme mocking the new iPhones as basically unchanged compared to last year's iPhone 13.

Aino Minako
Dec 16, 2007

Perpetual rage elemental

https://twitter.com/nanoraptor/status/1571246088455323649

Aino Minako
Dec 16, 2007

Perpetual rage elemental

rotor posted:

thin phones are best - apple
watches are best when they're thick - also apple

Aino Minako
Dec 16, 2007

Perpetual rage elemental

bump_fn posted:

yeah i suspect it’s this

i wonder if i can find a cheap old phone somewhere in seoul

iPhone 8 supports qi wireless charging so maybe that would be a good alternative to a new phone if you’re not ready yet

Aino Minako
Dec 16, 2007

Perpetual rage elemental

take a listen to the latest daring fireball podcast, about 1 hour 14 minutes in when they’re talking about iCloud security shortcomings, and enjoy his comparison

https://overcast.fm/+B7NCbbrM4/1:14:00

Aino Minako
Dec 16, 2007

Perpetual rage elemental

Jonny 290 posted:

Hell yeah.

Aino Minako
Dec 16, 2007

Perpetual rage elemental

I find Apple Arcade pretty useful because it lets the kids get occasional new games with no ads, micro transactions, or unexpected violence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aino Minako
Dec 16, 2007

Perpetual rage elemental

FlapYoJacks posted:

Imagine The Simpsons Russia -> USSR gag but instead of Russia it's Android and instead of USSR it's Windows Phone 11 and the guy pushing the button is Microsoft.

getting worryingly off-topic, but someone has been maintaining a Windows 11 ARM port for the Surface Duo and it’s kind of awesome:

https://github.com/WOA-Project/SurfaceDuo-Guides

https://youtube.com/shorts/LefKRWh590w

e: comeon Tim Apple, put macOS on the iPad!