Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

The camera survived well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

:lol: This appeared recently, https://www.gsmarena.com/wallpaper_trick_helps_hide_the_iphone_x_notch-news-28155.php

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Just noticed the Option key no longer has "alt" on the top left but has the symbol ⌥ back on the top right.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Incompetency shows no end, incrementing the patch number would make sense but oh no have the thing roll out twice with no updated description. Clods.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

He's touting himself as infosec?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

poty posted:

a paper notebook doesnt have bezels

It's probably equivalent to a margin.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

syscall girl posted:

give it a couple years and get back to us

WebAssembly brings no untold end joys of gobbling more memory. Developers preallocate fixed storage for their cross compiled .Net apps.

Just wait and someone will port Node.js to WebAssembly so you can have a literal Node.js server running in your browser to reduce the burden of developing front-end webcodes and streamline that latency of first render.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Soricidus posted:

the javascript was stored in database tables

That's pretty much every web based CMS ever though?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

https://twitter.com/danluu/status/945041778121629697

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

as long as all other phones are poo poo the iphone wont be overpriced. because there is nothing to compare it to

It's a bit relative as there are more expensive Android phones, some ludicrously more expensive, although at least Vertu has closed.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

2. Black is good.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

HeeBin appears to be dumping an AirPod knock off for significantly reduced price today:

https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-HeeBin-Headphones-Earpieces-Microphone/dp/B078JSBTQL

new link:
https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Headphones-Earpieces-Earphones-Microphone/dp/B078K2H88D

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jan 4, 2018

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

It was on a special front page offer for a few hours, the price just doubled.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Amazon being awesome I guess, I updated the link now, the price reduced $20, so definitely something playing:

https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Headphones-Earpieces-Earphones-Microphone/dp/B078K2H88D

p.s. all the reviews got wiped.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

one of the answers found the original product listed on Amazon, they faked the list price to look expensive.

https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Earfly-Headphones-Microphone-SmartPhones/dp/B0779RMCJT

quote:

0 out of 5 stars
Absolute Garbage
Utter GARBAGE. They are giant (twice the size of AirPods)...one came apart out of the box...and will only pair one at a time.

Looks like normal for Apple type products on Amazon:

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Kicking and screaming I think, look how long it took Birkenstock to get this far:

http://fortune.com/2017/12/30/amazon-typo-targeting-birkenstock-advertising/

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

So when is the Google Maxi price going to drop, $399 :lol:

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

What happened at Apple? Apple Maps is actually quite nice to use now. I've been using it for the last week and is easier to read than Waze or Google Maps and works pretty OK. It finally has a speed limit indicator like Waze and has lane directions like Google. They solved the "don't turn here" problem by "stay in lane(s)" indications which is pretty smart. Plus I love having an Oz accented announcer.

One remaining problem with Google and Apple, but not Waze as they don't have lane indicators, is that they show the lane count for the upcoming junction but not for the configuration you are currently on. Around NY and NJ these two are constantly different so you still end up hoping back and forth like a happy Bundo.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

echinopsis posted:

"go straight thru at the round about"

In Scotland there are a lot of simple roundabouts with only 2-3 exits and the lack of "straight ahead" is confusing as that is the nomenclature you use when learning to drive. Counting the exits is not intuitive and easy to mess up on larger roundabouts when you are thinking about something else like simply avoiding other mental drivers or the awesome gearbox of a '76 VW campervan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bk42cp0EopE

I've noted a new feature on Apple Maps which is kind of interesting, when you are moving slow it is taken to not always rotating the map in the drivers direction to avoid being distracting with a lot of turns. However they also attempt to be smart with the voice announcement, if a new junction is appearing they will cut into the previous announcement with the new one. It's very artificial but least an improvement over Googles.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Mar 25, 2018

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

cis autodrag posted:

I luv to watch all my coworkers lift their arms to their faces in perfect unison every time an all department email goes out. You wouldn't catch me dead in a dorkwatch

Why would you subject yourself to work email like that if you are not freelance or C-level?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Looks about as accurate as your average Windows based kiosk.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

How about this, some people desperate for a second laptop monitor, again, I'm guessing it is not IPS.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/747287659/duo-the-on-the-go-dual-screen-laptop-monitor?ref=section_design-tech_popular

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

:lol:

be careful what you wish for, I guess.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

He's just confirming they're still better than Surface anything.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Just noticed Apple are still terrible at making web pages. Their shop doesn't create links on product images instead they just register a click event handler. So no middle click or right-click open in new tab function :one:

I bet that's a 6 figgy developer as well. I don't know how you can gently caress that up whilst actually create links on the product name (but not price) that work.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Aug 19, 2018

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

i've had it up to here with the loving apple menu dropping down uninvited and covering my loving fullscreen applications. i made the application full screen for a reason. gently caress OFF.

sorry for the negative vibes but it just irritates me

Not quite as impressive as the Java upgrade prompt randomly appearing.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Swipe to close is useful for the Maps-type apps in order to cancel navigation, otherwise they like running in the background and giving duplicate audio prompts.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Endless Mike posted:

yeah dang it's too bad no one bothered to create a button to stop navigation. what a weird oversight!

The maps also like to report the current location, which cannot be disabled until closed. Waze requires you find their "power off" button which requires a couple of navigation steps. It's getting better, but not great.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

rjmccall posted:

but yeah, the tariffs in their actual effect make it infeasible to make anything in the us without recreating your entire supply chain here

Which is the goal from Trump really, but rather heavy handedly.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

:lol: what a butt ugly watch, at least they toned down the red crown a little.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Sep 12, 2018

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Good Sphere posted:

any official info that the new iphones are not including 3d touch?

The presentation explicitly stated the LCD based XR does not have 3D touch.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Vintersorg posted:

this pricing is honestly gonna push me towards android

like Samsnug? lol, $1000 for an anroid.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

That makes Android look better than it is, go to the low end range of phones from each vendor then the release version will start at 2-3 versions behind the latest.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

apple should definitely make a huge ipad, but they won't, because that would be too easy (like updating the mac pro)

Looked at getting a touchscreen overlay for a 32" LG commercial TV, only 1,000 earth dollars.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

So place your bets on how Apple is going to one up HP at slimming the laptop even further,

HP Spectre Folio

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Was the presidential alert supposed to work on iPhones or did I disable it? Looked like 2:19 via cable TV.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

I keep wanting to play overwatch but boot camp assistant just crashes on open. probably a blessing in disguise

When nVidia stop showing off that they don't know how to configure a firewall you can use GeForce Now on Mac hardware and have an ok experience with the Overwatch.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

SRQ posted:

WE LIVE IN A SOCIETY where 8gb for a mobile OS is par for the course and accepted.

Windows 95 is 150 megs and even XP barely cracked 2GB at the worst of times. What the gently caress is all that data.

Nvidia Drivers are half a gig now I mean drat son wtf happened

There are android phones with 10gb rams now, the OS size is playing catch-up.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Surprising the lack of CPU choices on the MacBook Air, only one available, the 1.6Ghz i5.

I have an Air with 1.7Ghz i7 but probably never notice the difference, 4th gen I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Spotify were the first direct listing IPO though, it was selling employee stock as they didn't need to actually raise any money.

Isn't the big thing about Spotify the playlists though? Idk, haven't used it in ages.