Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

just works. so simple

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

i think the pause button is fine and it's just the volume slider isn't at center

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

infernal machines posted:

??

the grey circle is off-centre from the two vertical bars

how can you not see that?

oh lol how did i miss that

good thing i don't work in user interface design :sweatdrop:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
recently handed out a new iPhone 6S to someone at work. he opted for the 6S since at that price point he could get the 128GB model and fit under the $100 limit so he didn't have to pay anything.

his previous model was a 32GB 6S so p. sure his needs are being fully suited. feels good

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Kenny Logins posted:

as of this writing, marco has not replied to any @s as he is still hilariously slowly running around his house high-fiving himself for this "windmill" "dunk"

wow he's really terribly mad about not being able to be the apple evangelist he so desperately identifies as

maybe he should fire up a quick game of Total Annihilation

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
you're welcome buddy :)

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

x website wants to access your location [allow] [deny]

x website can get right hosed

extremely same

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
also hasn't the iPhone SE already had at least one hardware update? i thought the innards went from the equivalent of like iphone 6 to 6S or something like that. i know right now it's supposed to by 6S equivalent.

what i'm saying is wouldn't a new one be SE3?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
no because he was able to keep left

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
thought half the point of recommending mac was so if they had any problems you could just point them at the nearest Apple store where they could be waited on in retail opulence

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
CPUs by IBM, cooling by VAG

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i'm guessing if i said "i bet marco arment sighs each day, wistfully hoping he'll get a golden ticket to cupertino" it'd be a pretty cold take, huh?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
marco "used to admin a total annihilation fan forum" arment

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

https://mjtsai.com/blog/2018/10/11/mac-sales-down-in-q3-2018-amid-a-lack-of-updates/

https://mjtsai.com/blog/2017/06/27/bug-in-skylake-and-kaby-lake-hyper-threading/

it continues to astound me how apple can't even do the bare minimum of putting current processors in their machines.

do they pay intel to keep an old fab open so they can still crank out haswell processors for the mac mini?

do they actually continue to manufacture new mac minis or do they just have a warehouse full of them somewhere?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
not sure why they would continue to make imac. just plug a monitor into the macbook.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
though not sure why they'd need macbook either. just use ipad. need more power? use the cloud.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Toady posted:

people keep talking about how xcode on ios is going to kill the mac, but i think i'd be miserable using an ide on a touchscreen

bluetooth keyboard and mouse

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
more like iphone sux maxx

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

hobbesmaster posted:

microsoft gave you a billion dollars

?????????

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Phone posted:

made the mistake of upgrading to mojave

thanks tim, i didn't really want audio over hdmi. appreciate it, pal.

lol did they really break hdmi audio??

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i don't browse the store so steam doesn't bombard me with anime titties. i find out about games through friends or goons. works 4 me

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Stymie posted:

they only introduced the tennis and tenner models this year because they didn't want to announce iphones 9 and 11 at the same time

lol

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
ugh god damnit why the gently caress can iphones not just directly transfer to each other instead of having to ~restore from backup~

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
hell for this kind of transfer you can have the devices right next to each other

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

if you restore from backup more than like once every three years the problem aint restore speed.

what's the problem, then?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i ran into this because someone dropped their phone and busted the camera. phone was only about a year old. poo poo happens.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i wound up firing up a laptop with itunes on it and doing a manual backup and then a manual restore. oh except the restore wouldn't kick off until i updated the iphone. oh except the update wouldn't kick off unless i made sure to sit and watch itunes unpack the update and then have the phone prompt me for the unlock code, otherwise it would eventually time out and i'd have to start over. and then the update took forever. and then it finally let me restore the new phone. agh

at least he remembered his appleid password. it's such a heinous pain in the rear end migrating someone who setup their appleid like three years ago and has never touched it since and doesn't know what it was.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

welcome to the apple experience

my advice is to never offer to do that again, and if someone has a problem with their phone, direct them to the nearest apple store

unfortunately one of my job duties is fone janitor, and between him being high enough in the company and the company being named after his family, he quite understandably gets the white-glove treatment.

that said, it's the best place to be a fone janitor. he was very patient, let me take his phone back to my desk for a couple of hours, came back, was pleased when it was finished and said "i appreciate your efforts". if this were my last job, the same guy would have been all huffy and "why's it taking so long??"

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
why fret about upgrades?? just buy a better computer. no big deal

it's what steve would have wanted

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

GWBBQ posted:

Hell, I've seen bits in sets that I can't even identify, they're probably proprietary and needed to disassemble some obsolete Soviet aircraft radar component.

nah the Sovs would probably have used simple bits. now, the Swiss,

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
       /
      /

...what's the biggest CPU socket ever, anyway?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Chris Knight posted:

Descartes walks into a bar and orders a drink. When he finishes his drink, the bartender asks him if he would like another. Descartes replies, “No, I think not,” and disappears in a puff of logic.

♫ and rene descartes was a drunken fart, ♫
♫ "i drink therefore i am!" ♫

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
can you imagine if jay sherman and frasier crane ever met

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
♫ heidegger heidegger was a boozy beggar, ♫
♫ he was just as sloshed as schlegel! ♫

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

microsoft has never not hosed up any model of the surface. except possibly that imac looking thing they made, idk, no one bought that

ugh yeah, we have several of them in the company and they're the buggiest computers in the inventory. when they work people love them, but sometimes they just flake out and it's frustration all around.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

FMguru posted:

supposedly, the faceplant of the homepod (even apple superfan sites were "nice design, great sound, too bad the voice command ui is such complete and total poo poo") got timbs attention and theres now a head of siri/apple ai that reports directly to him now

do these guys not eat their own dogfood?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i wouldn't, because donny would enjoy that too much

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Good Sphere posted:

i hope apple wins the case, because i think the ability to only install apps via the apple store and approved by them works quite nicely for quality, security and otherwise. sure, there is a lot of crap apps, but it's nothing compared to android or what you'd have floating around in windows

even if the case somehow resulted in apple being required to allow other app stores on, wouldn't you still have the choice to only install apps from apple's app store?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

there was a mech eng cum server janitor who used to janitor for a client of mine, who firmly believed in this principle. when he finally got forced into retirement after causing a week long company wide outage at a plant that ran 2 shifts six days a week we got to pick up the pieces. he had an nt4 server running some domain services as well as multiple win2k servers, all original hardware, in tyool 2015.

holy poo poo lol

what was the cause of the outage? did they get hacked or did almost twenty years' worth of bodges just finally collapse on itself and he couldn't untangle it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
main question would be "would the reality distortion field have worked on other national and world leaders?"