Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

boy i was p excited to have work issue me a mbp to replace their windows 7 thinkpad but i didn't really expect them to issue me a complete piece of poo poo that can't sleep for more than a few hours without crashing and blowing away everything i had open

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

infernal machines posted:

best in class 5k monitor

come again

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Can someone explain the logic in the goddamn window switcher Mission Control thing

It keeps shuffling my window order in apparently random ways and I don't know why it likes changing them

I like iTunes or Spotify to be at the end of the line, all the way to the right, but randomly it seems to appear back in the first 3 window places

I like my browsers to be together next to each other, but they too just decide to change places for whatever loving reason Hair Force One decided was logical

do you mean when they are all fullscreen spaces? turn off "automatically arrange spaces based on most recent use" in sysprefs

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

well,

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

lmao gruber's lost it

quote:

So where do these rumors come from? I donít know. My guess is that if thereís an intent behind them, itís that competitors (cough, Samsung?) within the Asian supply chain are attempting to sow doubt about Face ID. The narrative presented by analysts and certain news reports this summer was that Apple was still scrambling to get Touch ID working embedded within the iPhone X display, suggesting that Face ID was their Plan B.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

Bulgakov posted:

tim "cripple apple" cook wasn't entirely dumb about the iphone x launch hence

:capitalism:

but i'm eager to learn how many dozens got built for delivery on day one

a million of a thing is a lot of things

five or ten million boxed objects is lunacy

any number of million that ends up being a frustratingly low amount of complex things built by foxconn hands at an unending pace is entirely abstract despite it maybe still being low in the scheme of wall street shame

exponential growth forever lol

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

my 5 got replaced under a recall less than a month before i changed phones, so i still have a near mint slate 5 to use for various things

slate 5 best lookin phone ever made

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

countdown until it's discovered that faceid falls over completely in "edge" cases like being black or wearing religious clothing that obscures the face

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

you forgot the people showing up 10 minutes before the store closes and saying "i don't have an appointment, but"

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

ahaha this is perfect

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

Linguica posted:

the old spicy pentile!!! how could you give your own brother the spicy pentile tim

ahahahahahahaahahahahahahaahahaahaahahaahahaaha

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

actionjackson posted:

It costs more than my 2012 MB air refurb did in 2013

it's also faster lmao

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

they thought different

top notch phone

if op's could rename they threads this would be the iPhone thread name right now

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

you can crash most apple watches by asking Siri for the weather

future

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

Agile Vector posted:

uh how do you ask because its never been a problem with any siris for me

its one of the few things it does consistently right whereas it cant tell 15 and 50 for timers so im always setting timers for 49 minutes

ďhey siri whatís the weatherĒ > apple logo/respring

watchos 4 only i guess

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

and the battery circuitry is designed not to let your charge actually fall into "damage" levels as long as you aren't running it down to zero then sticking it in a drawer for a year

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

there's new dynamic wallpapers but only on the x

crapple!

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

LanceHunter posted:

Apple didnít get caught doing poo poo. They allowed publishers to set their own price, just like they let app developers and movie studios set their own price. They just didnít expect the publishers to then go and loving collude to fix prices. (Since nobody else on the store was doing that poo poo.) The publishers were the ones who got caught, since they were the ones in the wrong. They finally had a good competitor to Amazon for ebooks and they hosed it all up.

Anyways, actual content: Sikh comic gets an IPhone X and tests it against his less-conventional hair/facial attire. (Sorry about the Facebook link.) https://facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10155855604536419&id=512871418

not found

what was the gist

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

What exactly was the purpose of the virtual home button on the iPhone 7/8 and then just switching to gestures on the X? Is this just some scheme to increase market share in places where the home buttons were expensive or almost impossible to replace & having a virtual one or no home button at all meant more people would buy iPhones? I once read somewhere that people in China and some markets would use Assistive Touch to avoid putting too much stress on the home button.

it was for waterproofing

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

:rolleyes: you canít use a touchscreen and subsequently the Xís gestures underwater, buddy

that's not what i was talking about you willfully dense piece of poo poo

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

misspelled baklava

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_YBzJBa_mA

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

echinopsis posted:

new update now has a deceleration when you click title bar to scroll to top of whatever ??

NSAnimationEaseIn

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

cinci zoo sniper posted:

even dell inspiron can. at the expense of being 1/5" thicker, sure, but no actual business user will care about that if it means 24GB more ram, you're not getting your dillz wet with a work laptop

you still truly, genuinely believe they max out at 8 gigs, huh

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

tbf i downloaded an app that let me have natural scrolling on the touchpad but regular scrolling on a mouse wheel, since it's extremely unnatural to do the mouse that way, and as far as i can tell, macos doesn't let you have separate settings which is dumb

what app? logitech options does it for my mx master but only for that mouse, doesn't work for other mice

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

bump_fn posted:

do they have a wireless extended

they have a magic keyboard with number pad

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

pram posted:

working at ibm must be a constant existential crisis

depends on where, really

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

Schadenboner posted:

I'd imagine it's usually in the soul-shaped hole they gouge out of you at new employee orientation?

that would be the consulting division

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

cis autodrag posted:

I find ios11 to be way too much on the side of "plain black text on plain white fields" and it's p boring tbh

god yes. honestly ios 6 outside of the skeuomorphic stuff was my favorite look. visually interesting without being distracting.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

Linguica posted:

don't think so, but in his last podcast he MADE IT VERY CLEAR that aaron swartz was NOT a co-creator of markdown but merely GAVE SOME SUGGESTIONS

amusingly, this was the extent of gruber's involvement in vesper as well

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

is the macintoshOperatingSystem's context menu a piece of poo poo like windows'?

not that i've noticed but how do you mean

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

Chris Knight posted:

it's less functional which helps

there's less of an urge for every driver and app to cram a new entry in, at least

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

the fact that 1st and 3rd party programs create entries for themselves willy-nilly. they're useful about 1/3rd of the time and i don't like having to janitor my menus.

does tim just make it harder to alter the context menu? or are mac app writers just less annoying?

i think the only way you can get something in there is to create a service, but those go in a sub menu and you can show or hide them in system preferences

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

last time i used it was to right click two files and do a "compare using Beyond Compare"

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

the touchbar is extra annoying because it shuts off the screen. itís bad that you have to hunt for an escape key or volume key, but having to push twice is annoying , and then the volume controls donít disappear automatically after you use them, and and and

they go away for me

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

cinci zoo sniper posted:

because not every problem needs you to buy an aws or azure cluster or whatever. supposed macbooks for professionals shouldn't perform worse than $1000-1600 b-tier windows oem machines

such as? post an actual example.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

poty posted:

was a public tweet to apple support really the best way to disclose this

hard to build a ~*~personal brand~*~ with private disclosures

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

symmetric vacuum 👌👌👌👌

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

i have a soundbar does that need bitstream

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

too big for the hole

text me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

GenJoe posted:

you are kind of correct except for the fact that iWork is a shining beacon of macOS and iOS software that all other productivity apps aspire to

that isn't any of those things they mentioned unless you specifically mean the web ver?