Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Linguica posted:

when you've lost The Management, you know it's bad

i'm sure they still have Last Chance though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

C.H.O.M.E posted:

apple pay works fine at the national grocery chains like amazon food hole and traitor joes. the weird regional grocery chains don't really count.

"ugh i hate saving money" - forums poster chome

I'd think supporting the best grocery chains would be a valid use case

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

the default podcasts app is so bad. oh my god. it's so garbage. i tried to add more than one episode and it replaced it, and more than two requires you to go to the episode page for each one.

who designed this. maybe it's 'cause i used it in the cold.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

"it" is currently autocorrecting to "I.T" on my keyboard.

christ, time to install google keyboard.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

emoji posted:

I've been seeing people use I.T all over the Internet. It's sad that Apple can't fix this incredibly basic feature and and never did in the update, only hard coding the i to a? case.

yeah, these last 2 months have been really frustrating & embarrassing

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

people buy new phones every 12-24mo regardless, people who hang on them longer are either weird edge-case people like me or folks buying flipped/used phones

people buy new phones every 12-24 mo because they're upset their phones are slower, what the christ

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

infernal machines posted:

hypothetically, would they not buy new phones if they just lasted 8-12 hours on a charge instead?

or they would buy a new battery. it would have been cool to know for sure if that option were clear.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

my MIL's 2-year-old iphone 6 started shutting off randomly and holding like 45 min of charge and only then did the message pop up saying the battery needed service. who even knows how long it had been hiding this by throttling the phone before giving up and admitting defeat. thanks tim for hiding the problem until it rendered the phone completely unusable

actually, this is better than notifying the user earlier, because otherwise

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Doc Block posted:

LOL my damned rear end off if you have autocorrect enabled on your computer

apple: LOL my damned rear end off if you have it enabled

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Last Chance posted:

last time i checked, the hbo go webplayer was still flash (??)

do you think flash literally pays them the rest of their revenue just to keep using it

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

akadajet posted:

i mean, it's a solid buy

eh at this point Dell is definitely more bang for your buck, much as it breaks me to say

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

i too like to use the wrong tool for a job, and then defend using the wrong tool for the job because i've gotten so used to smashing square pegs into round holes i don't know the difference

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

why isn't there just a tesla thread instead of soaking up the poo poo on apple thread.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

DELETE CASCADE posted:

tesla is the apple of cars, duh

i

uh

hm.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

DELETE CASCADE posted:

- attractive exterior design that appears luxurious
- interior design suffers in practicality due to dumb philosophical choices (no more battery/ram ONLY THIN vs no buttons/dials ONLY TOUCHSCREEN)
- unjustified premium price
- first iteration of a new model always has issues
- famous blowhard ceo who didn't do any of the things the company is famous for but gets all the credit
- silly con valley tech dorks love it
- tech press loves it except lately because they're loving up even more visibly

idk i could probably go on

no no, i wasn't arguing

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

funny way to spell posted:

the 8 plus. i wante dthe X but everyone i talked to told me not to buy it

good call, 8+ is solid and works in the cold.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

cinci zoo sniper posted:

x works in cold too

oh, they fixed it? cool, glad they'll have a shippable product soon.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

r u ready to WALK posted:

this is the thread for the bad hardware with the good operating system

you want the thread for the good hardware with the bad operating system

i thought this was the thread for apple

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

OldAlias posted:

if someone has physical access to your computer you're as well as hosed anyways so who cares

yeah why encrypt iphones at all

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

syscall girl posted:

yeah all my portable stuff is fully encrypted so no one can steal my pole position scores (or bank account info) but the stuff at home, if you're through the door the password is "who is a good puppy"

i loving loved pole position holy poo poo. can we make this the pole position thread instead

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

I really hate how iCloud has no options to not sync certain folders in my Documents. you know, without deleting everything there. am I just missing something?

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

OldAlias posted:

iCloud is not dropbox. just move them to another folder if you don’t want it synced

they're created by applications because HOME/Documents is a pretty common pattern for crummy applications. any actual solution?

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

ah, iCloud working is an edge case, got it. ugh

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

my iPhone persistently complains about not having enough storage to use iCloud. i go take a look, and most of my space is being used by the Documents folder on my Macbook, namely the files programs use to hold configurations, some save files, etc. i can't move those files without them just being recreated, esp. if i want to use those files to begin with, and the solution given in this thread is "don't janitor your filesystem", rather than an actual solution to a problem introduced by iCloud not letting me opt out folders.

in sum, using iCloud is an edge case.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

anthonypants posted:

on my computer icloud syncs all the files in C:\Users\username\iCloudDrive and if i don't want certain files or folders to sync i simply don't put them in that folder

yeah it tells me if i turn off syncing Documents and Desktop they'll be removed from my local computer which lol

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

"don't use other people's apps on macs" and "pay apple more money to have your phone backed up"

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

anthonypants posted:

ok then let's talk about why you have 5GB of irreplaceable configuration files and save files which you also can't move anywhere else

I would loving love to if it were my choice lmao

Last Chance posted:

youre the edge case, op. still no idea what youre trying to do. try holding it a different way

yeah this is the response i expected when i initially asked from apple fans tbh

it's cool, I sprang for the $1/mo option, the notification went away, and apple doesn't support disabling syncing for certain folders because "???".

Beamed fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jul 27, 2018

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

anthonypants posted:

they're saying they set up icloud to use the documents folder on their computer instead of its own icloud-specific folder, and every third-party garbage app they've installed took a big steamy dump in there and that's why their icloud is full. also these mystery third-party apps both can't be configured otherwise, and are mission-critical and cannot be modified in any way. also spending one extra dollar a month is out of the question

imagine being such a fanboy you think "uninstall those apps permanently op" is an appropriate solution for "i can't opt out a folder"

OldAlias posted:

maybe you can do something with aliases (like symlinks but different) to deal with that, but 🤷🏻‍♀️

this might be a clever solution! i'ma try it

Last Chance posted:

can't you just turn off icloud documents + desktop on the mac and icloud drive becomes its own volume or w/e

the message says it will delete it. am I misreading that? if so this is the optimal solution

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Last Chance posted:

i dont think youre misreading it, but can you just back them up or something and then pop them back in? also my message says

"If you continue, items will be removed from the Desktop and the Documents folder on this Mac and will remain available in iCloud Drive."

so they're not going away permanently, you could prob redownload them from icloud.com then delete them from icloud via an idevice or icloud.com

id back them up though

Yeah I think this is what I'll do, still wish had a simple opt out feature though but this isn't bad

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

dude is a professional industrial designer and at least a several hundred millionaire if not a billionaire. he wears a watch from a brand you've never heard of made in a tiny European country you're not aware of out of a material that only existed in a laboratory until 6 months ago

yeah it sucks talent has nothing to do with success

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

new iphone user: hey i liked this feature on android, how can i do it on iphone?

apple fans: just drink more dude

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

jit bull transpile posted:

I've had Spotify for 4 years and never had these issues. there's only 3 albums I want that they don't have: lemonade, a gigi album that's only on vinyl or band camp, and a really old nightwish album. it's insanely easy to just keep local copies of those on my phone and get everything else from Spotify.

but please, keep torturing yourself with your bespoke magic setup that you're totally happy with but still feel compelled to complain about on the internet.

century child was really good

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

jit bull transpile posted:

yas. band was never the same after they kicked tarja out imo

tarja's solo album had a couple good ones but it was really the end of an era, between that and Blind Guardian's albums all missing, Spotify's lacking some of my oldschool faves. :smith:

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

roboshit posted:

keep checking your 2009 Android with metro PCS service on your lunch breaks at Burger King you peasant

cant wait until ur eaten

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

roboshit posted:

well, if you want to buy a $1200 luxury item and you make 11 dollars an hour I don’t know what else to tell ya

people will just unhinge their jaw and swallow u whole

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

ghettoblaster is a fantastic word and i will continue to use it until someone with authority on the subject (not you) tells me to stop.

urbandictionary says it's a term of empowerment anyway

roboshit is explicitly trolling, if you don't put them on ignore just warn them of their impending "being eaten by peasants"

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Shifty Pony posted:

1Password integration gets my thumbs up. very useful.

phone one takes too long in browsers

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Agile Vector posted:

I think this integration just auto suggests them without opening the mini app, though thats normally pretty fast on my phone but slow on my older ipad air 1

is there one for the phone that does this? i have to hit the home button, go to the 1pass app, unlock it, searhc for my app, copy the pass, go back to the browser, paste it, and then type in my username like some sort of moral deviant

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Agile Vector posted:

theres a share sheet shortcut you can add or move to the front of the sheet but its not obvious. in 12 you can add an autofill from 1p directly by toggling it in settings -> passwords -> autofill. the only difference i noticed with autofill is it asks for touchid auth every time

time to go to 12

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

according to glassdoor, average pay for a registered nurse is $77k, which is definitely not poor except to bay area techlords and republicans that think anyone not making $500k is a poor. they say it's $52k for a teacher, but these will both vary a lot by location and experience, obviously.

my parents were a nurse and a teacher and while we were far from rich, we weren't poor and were never wanting for anything. they were good enough with their money that they were able to retire a little early and will likely be able to live off the interest from their savings.

entry level pay for teachers is what kills it