Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

also asked this in iyg but yosposters are probably the ones grognardy enough to answer this. are there any good irc clients for timphone that are preferably compatible with ZNC features? sshing into my bouncer to use a local irssi session is garbo on a phone screen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

mediaphage posted:

lmao he's always been an apple apologist ofc but what a douche fuckin take. god forbid workers want a better work-life balance

seriously. having to live somewhere specific for work is one of the biggest killers of work life balance. that’s what I cited when the company president personally asked me why I was moving back to Vancouver after three years in Victoria (city of newlyweds and nearly deads) and it took a short conversation for him to sorta get it

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

The Management posted:

it’s hard to tell who’s cool to talk poo poo with over slack

yeah, and it's scary as hell when you have a mole

though last time we had a mole we ended up getting an extra retirement plan with no required employee contributions lol

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

if I knew anything about DJing I'd want to do a dankmus set

just an hour of simpsons memes in the form of EDM tracks

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

yeah you know those big ones that hang from the top of the stage and are like a slightly curved line? each segment is a 2000 watt speaker and there's usually 7-9 segments per stack, and 2 or 4 stacks if it's a big rear end venue

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Sniep posted:

line arrays

I knew there had to be a specific term for it but had no idea it was that, thanks!

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

listen to irish rebel songs for about an hour and the algorithm will go "oh wait, wrong kind of republican"

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

cinci zoo sniper posted:

what do you mean by wrong kind :colbert:

the default is for the algorithm to assume people are the american kind, which is the wrong kind

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

mediaphage posted:

i extremely don't get criticizing anybody about that sort of thing

like how poo poo is your life that you make fun of somebody exercising

tori-grade

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

getting out and walking/jogging/running a couple miles a day is very good for the brain.

plus while you're out for a walk you can smoke fat doinks

and conveniently having walked a couple miles you're able to counter-balance the snacks you'll consume when you get home

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

c apple s: anyone ever have a camera lens replaced through applecare+? wondering if it's same day service like other glass replacement. my 12's main camera lens is cracked and it's a bit blurry as a result

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I have walked up one hill like that intentionally and it was an enormous mistake. thank gently caress I was baked lol

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

the macbook design of having two thunderbolt/usb-c ports right next to each other in the same spot between generations is brilliant. you can go to amazon and get a thirty dollar hub with a couple USB-Cs, a couple USB-As, HDMI, and gig-e all on the same dongle about the same thickness as the laptop that just sits flush against it. and for most poo poo I don't even need it; the only reason I bought one is for plugging in a USB to serial adapter for work poo poo

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

did apple get rid of that thing where you could use an iMac as a thunderbolt display?

also lol at macOS automagically capitalizing "thunderbolt display" for me while typing, thanx aapl

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

mediaphage posted:

nah their point was one watch multiple bands instead of needing to own multiple watches

anyway what sensors are you excited about? i am ever hopeful for even a very crude glucose sensor but all the rumours say its still years off

explains why the metal watch bands are the cost of like, a whole new really nice watch. I kinda wanted to get one of the series 6es with a metal link band but it was going to be more than my fuckin macbook air was

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Chris Knight posted:

yeah like years ago. it was only a couple of models anyway

sucks. it seems like it was something that would have been super consumer friendly if it worked well and was supported for a while, which I guess is why apple shitcanned it

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

a blood alcohol monitor without any jabbing or breath analysis sounds basically impossible but I’m no biologist, so

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Shifty Pony posted:

ankle monitors can measure for alcohol consumption so it must be possible somehow.

whoa, didn’t know that was a thing. cool tech

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

The Management posted:

why do you need to know your bac? are you waiting for the exact moment it’s legal for you to drive?

apple products are designed by bay area stemlords, so this tracks

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Achmed Jones posted:

whoa never knew you were a schadenboner alt

jeez man that's a bit rude

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

infernal machines posted:

better hope smythe doesn't have mod powers in here any more

he has been damned to serve as QCS moderator as his penance for having previously given up his buttons

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

ooh, neat. does it also estimate calories burned? wouldn't mind using that in conjunction with fitbit (using pedometer data from apple health) for rough caloric intake estimation

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

cinci zoo sniper posted:

no, but calories burned for weightlifting is a useless stat. if you go really hard at it, you’ll burn slightly more calories than just leisurely walking at 6 km/hour. cardio burns way more calories, and where way more means that extra grilled cheese per day maybe would not destroy your weight loss, if your consistent at cardio. all the power lifters eat 40 eggs per day because they want to gain mass (or just like eating eggs), not because their energy consumption is anywhere close that

ah gotcha. I try to fairly briskly walk 10 km per day so I think I'm kinda set for cardio. wasn't sure if weights were at all good for that kind of exertion or if I should just walk more when I feel the need to eat a whole loaf of brioche

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

oh totally. I've managed to drop lower than I currently am (which itself is still about 20 pounds lighter than my starting weight) by being real strict about calories and stuff, but nowadays I'm fairly happy where I am and it allows for copious munchies and the occasional pint

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

haveblue posted:

pretty sure this is not a "may" thing, it's an expected consequence of all organ transplants and all recipients go on immunosuppressives

yeah iirc this is one of the reasons the idea of building new "ghost organs" was a thing that was being looked into a while back. take a donor organ, melt off everything but the connective tissue, then re-seed it with stem cells and human growth hormone from the recipient so their immune system doesn't go "what the gently caress is this get it out get it out get it out"

unfortunately this is also an insanely complicated and expensive process so don't expect to see it any time in the next 50 years

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

rjmccall posted:

interesting blend of a bunch of different carb-heavy street food. flour tortilla, halal meat, french fries, unidentified white sauce, panini-pressed. kindof surprised i've never seen this in the us anywhere, really

yeah that looks fuckin delicious. on the other hand, would definitely get the pimp skitters from that

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

yo peep them tubes, nothing beats the warm glow of vacuum tubes driving my five thousand dollar headphones amplifying the compressed spotify stream I'm listening to

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

TOOT BOOT posted:

Do tube amps actually sound different at all

when you crank tube amps up past a certain point the gain causes the sound to break up. thus was invented rock and roll

qirex posted:

posting from my newrefurb arm macbook air, this thing is great

grats! mine arrived earlier this week, it's a fuckin hoot. lightest and most powerful laptop I've ever owned by far

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Smythe posted:

lossless flac bitrate: 1411kbps

bt aptX bitrate: 384kbps

assuming every lovely piece of equipment in your bluetooth setup actually negotiates aptx properly instead of falling back to lovely aac (which various phones implement differently and cheaper ones will kill frequency response above like 15 kHz)

also I think there's a bluetooth lossless codec now but basically nothing supports it lol

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

my favourite thing about all these audiophiles is that they spend all this money on loving up their sound setups and they're just listening to babby's first jazz record or whatever

I have a pair of in-ear monitors and a lightning to 3.5mm adapter, both from amazon, and they sound fuckin great coming out of my timphone. I can also run them into the mixing desk if I'm doing a gig and use the same iems I listen to poo poo on the go with when I'm on stage (which I haven't been able to do for like two years now because of the plague, rip). they cost like sixty bucks shipped lol

Kazinsal fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jun 19, 2021

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

infernal machines posted:

this was recorded from a single microphone in the center of a concrete basement room, on a piece of magnetized wire, and transferred a dozen times through lossy media until now, where it will be faithfully reproduced on a sound system worth more than the median yearly income

yeah I have a recent pressing of Birth of the Cool and it's great but so obviously was recorded by just shoving Miles Davis and his friends into a room together and pointing a microphone in their direction. the only thing "extra" you get out of having really good soundstage headphones with it is that you can straight up hear footsteps when people walk up to the microphone to do a solo

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Shaggar posted:

i wonder how much "tube feel" is the audio equivalent of soft focus where it makes defects in the recording less apparent

there's definitely some audio qualities to big happy powerful tube amps that you don't get in digital amplification, like the way the sound changes briefly when you really dig in because of voltage sag. if you deliberately lower the voltage of a tube amp's AC input with a variac for example you get something that sounds different. the van halen "brown sound" is a marshall that's only getting like 90 VAC at 60 Hz instead of 110 VAC

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

yeah for playback, who gives a gently caress use a nice solid state DAC and you're set for just about anything.

for guitar amplification though, perfectly replicating a fully analogue circuit would be some next level physics simulation poo poo. sound profiling is getting pretty close at simulating the tonal qualities of various amplifier circuits but if it were as easy as "just recreate the circuit with DSPs, bing bong so simple" then genuinely people would stop buying boutique amps. I've got a reasonable approximation of a Mark IV dialed in on my Boss Katana but it's still not quite right. it sounds *like* a boogie but it doesn't have all of the tonal qualities of a boogie.

with current commercial grade DSP technology you just can't get a near 1:1 simulation of the way a dozen vacuum tubes arranged in an analogue circuit with various series and parallel stages handle fluctuations in voltage caused by sudden increases in current and the like.

Kazinsal fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jun 19, 2021

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

my dad’s been rocking the same pioneer receiver and amplifier set for 40 years. matching tape deck, CD player, and speakers too. that things going to outlive him

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

mediaphage posted:

if anything i’d wager apple devices seem prone because they tend to last forever so people will pick them up and use them off and on

yeah. my dad's got a drawer with like four or five old iPhones in it and I'm surprised none of them have pulled the ol' spicy pillow yet

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

njsykora posted:

ipod nanos are the really notorious ones since they make a big show of pushing the screen out and had a recall during the lifespan of practically the entire range for battery problems

the first sign of it is known in the iPod community as the black spot, since you get this tiny little darkened point in the middle of the screen when the battery starts to swell. the 4th gens are the worst for it, and made even worse because you have to basically push the entire guts of the thing, explodey battery and all, out of it with a significant amount of force using a tool that 100% could puncture the battery and set off a bomb in your hands if you slip

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Smythe posted:

omg jc a bomb

[fingers missing, iPod shrapnel in forehead] a bomb?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

njsykora posted:

ebay sellers are super wise to it as well, I've seen people in ipod discords buy nanos that looked fine in the listing and then had the spot when they got it, though the ipod still works fine despite the spot just would you put a battery that you know is swelling in your pocket

basically the nano sucks rear end and you can't even put a crazy amount of storage in them

the sixth gens classics will take up to something ridiculous like 2 TB of flash storage, they're great (and as a result kinda pricy for a nice well kept one now)

Chris Knight posted:

if they're just sitting there nothing will happen.

yeah it's when they get charged up for the first time in three years that things might get spicy

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

call it a natural vignette feature and charge another five hundo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

my ISP sent me a free 4K apple tv thing as a thank you for signing up for a streaming service that's basically just basic cable + a few extra channels I wanted over IP

it's neat