Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

akadajet posted:

i used to wear shoes that looked like those lol

steve invented normcore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

leaving out definite articles is a long-standing part of :sparkles:the brand experience:sparkles:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

he's absolutely right that hardware decisions were all made 12-24 months ago but then he goes off the rails

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

carry on then posted:

countdown until it's discovered that faceid falls over completely in "edge" cases like being black or wearing religious clothing that obscures the face
you seem to be confusing apple with samsung or lucky goldstar, that said it's obviously not going to work if most of your face is covered

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

samsung galaxy x

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

also sapphire glass or whatever that actually doesn’t get scratched

it turns out sapphire isn't a good phone material since it's so brittle once it does fail instead of getting a little scratch or small crack the whole crystal shatters and when you drop a phone on its edge or corner it's super likely to have enough energy to destroy it

apple spent like 5 billion dollars learning this lesson so they use laminated glass instead

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The Management posted:

the non poor version Apple Watch uses a sapphire display. the sapphire phone screens were scrapped because their manufacturer couldn’t scale their production. apple wouldn’t have committed that much money if they didn’t already test prototypes and verify that it works for them.
watch crystals are different, there's less mass, they're usually hit square on and there's generally a meaty arm behind it to absorb some of the energy but they will still happily shatter though, e.g.

no, I don't know the particulars of the whole supplier fiasco but nobody else has even tried yet outside of the comedy vertu option

they might get some added strength with a screen bonded to it as well where watch crystals are typically unsupported

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

quote:

New numbers released in San Francisco reveal smartphone robberies are down 22 percent from 2015 to 2016 and from 2013, they're down 50 percent.

The law was signed three years ago and went into effect in 2015.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Perplx posted:

the mask was floppy and put on someone elses face so it was deformed, if it was a rigid mask it might work

during apple's keynote they showed whole walls full of super realistic masks they used to try to fool it

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

46.7 million iphones sold last quarter, mac sales hit a quarterly record of 5.4 million, ipad sales up 14% to 10.3 million, further proof that apple is rapidly declining by selling more products than they ever have and that tim cook is the worst ceo ever

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Linguica posted:

Welcome to the #Capacitance

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

What exactly was the purpose of the virtual home button on the iPhone 7/8 and then just switching to gestures on the X? Is this just some scheme to increase market share in places where the home buttons were expensive or almost impossible to replace & having a virtual one or no home button at all meant more people would buy iPhones? I once read somewhere that people in China and some markets would use Assistive Touch to avoid putting too much stress on the home button.

fewer moving parts is good, people in china were super weird about it and they had to to the haptic thing for 3d touch anyway so why not

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I don't think you understand what "all in" means, this is a company that spun up an autonomous car company and then spun it down 3 years later without ever telling the press about it, they could spend the whole r&d budget of the hololens monthly and it wouldn't really impact their bottom line

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Chalks posted:

Ask the investors in the 95% of companies that don't have extensive tax avoidance arrangements.

only because they can't afford to implement them yet

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Shaggar posted:

its not quite 100% cause we both spend more than we take in and we also spend more on keeping boomers alive than we do on the military (tho its a close second) so theres a chance your money goes there instead!!

also don't forget we're still paying off the 4 trillion+ in 30 year treasuries reagan sold at the end of the cold war

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

power botton posted:

I just want my Virgil abloh Apple "Watch"

*writes "BAND" on the band with a sharpie*
that'll be $300, please

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the 13" macbook air was the platonically ideal laptop form factor, people tolerated the old pros because the screens were good but if you ever spent time using an air you just wished they'd put an actual good screen in it the whole time

I like my 13" pro butan edition but I miss my air

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

still not totally certain what the challenges of connecting some crappy 2" drivers to a wifi radio and putting same garbage eq that you claim is super dsp controlled beamforming on it is, most tech reviewers think beats pills sound good

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the sonos one is super crippled, like alexa is only able to interact with amazon music with any smartness; if you're playing spotify or apple music or pandora or tidal or even your own locally stored stuff all it can do is play, pause and skip forward/back

the whole point of sonos is that it plays everything [except mqa but that's for idiots]

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

good thing they all sit together in an open office now, they can collaborate on a solution even faster than before

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

eric posted:

lol important people don't sit in an open office. they get a private one.

the new spaceship is like 95% open plan

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

yeah apple pay is like the best thing they've released in the last few years

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

tvos 11.2 is out with the correct settings for hdr and framerate [default is still "be stupid so your screen doesn't slightly flash" though], the appletv 4k is officially good now

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Matt Zerella posted:

its still lacking in the audio department but that's a good start

lol if you actually have an atmos install buy better lcr and more subs first

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Matt Zerella posted:

i dont give a poo poo about atmos, but i do care about dts-hd/truehd which it cant bitstream for some dumb reason.
buy a receiver from this decade and you won't have to bitstream? if you're using arc many tvs only support a signal that could also go out over the optical port as well which rules out lossless surround

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I recently upgraded my home theater and went for stereo instea dof surround and it's great

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

carry on then posted:

i have a soundbar does that need bitstream
no worries, it will sound bad no matter what signal you feed it

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the amazon app for apple tv is out and they've managed to faithfully maintain the awful user interface of their other platform apps, like when you press the back button from a show page you can land literally anywhere on the huge main page and it might even reset the scrolling on the category you were just looking at

the good news is that they use apple's transport controls instead of the super awesome fast forward/rewind speeds increment by powers of two thing they do other places

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

focus stealing is the worst possible ui behavior

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

graph posted:

slack steals focus twice on launch

cementing its place as the worst software

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

you kind of need bezels on an ipad

the 12.9 is just too big, that's why it feel weird

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

r u ready to WALK posted:

Hmm yes that sounds reasonable for an all-in-one

if you have to ride in an ambulance in america it costs more than that

e: also monthly reminder that american prices don't include tax, that same config is 13 grand on the us site and norway has 25% vat which puts it at $16,700

qirex fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Dec 14, 2017

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

jony hasn't been day to day on product design at apple for like 2 years, too busy working on their technically perfect but unusable office building and making slightly better tables for retail stores

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

idg why people are flipping out because someone says the 5000 dollar computer creates heat don't all y'all windows povs have like giant video cards

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

ok dude if your legs and hands are touching your imac while it's running full tilt you might be using it wrong

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

pram posted:

the imac has fans you retard

these people are mad online because the fans push hot air out of the imac instead of just leaving it in there I guess

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

that's the same rumor that triggered the discussion in the first place

I'd guess this is more of a ploy to get more ios devs to make mac apps but it will fail like these kinds of things always do

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Last Chance posted:

that was me. reusing code is not the same as using the same UI

the vast majority of mobile apps are just a front end to some kind of remotely hosted service so the UI is frequently most of the app

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Shaggar posted:

i'd imagine ios/osx crossover apps would be like UWP where in some cases a shared UI design that scales based on app size/ratio is appropriate but in other cases you get a totally different UI with the same codebase.
yeah that worked great in a universe where the UI is most of the application code

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

lol still flying that xaml flag

the user interface is inseparable from application logic and every attempt to compartmentalize it leads to tons of pointless overhead for everyone, most "apps" are web containers and the ones that use native code still have most of the application logic and data movement happening remote

the user interface is the application