Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

i played origins for about 5 hours and thought wow it's like if they took everything i liked about rear end creed out of the game and put level requirements on sticking a knife in a dude's neck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

im interested in playing another asscreed game but the last one i played was black flag. are any of the newer ones as fun as that. i mean BF was a hoot

syndicate was hilarious, you get quests from karl marx

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

yeah i have gotten into critical pathing every game i play now and if i like it enough i'll go back to side stuff, origins' level gating forcing me to do a bunch of side quest padding shook me off it pretty quickly

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

you can also create a smart playlist (because this is all built on the old itunes feature set) to just show everything you've played in the last 24 hours

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

yeah how many times has google relaunched its system at this point, I remember people being really pissed when they removed the ability to just add your own files to google play music as a cloud drive, something you can still do with apple music

though I don't think apple cares about music beyond business reasons, I think they know they gained a lot of power over the industry during the ipod years and don't want to give that up

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

they had bad kpop licencing rights in europe for a really long time

bad at japanese music in general too, I was stunned when I switched to apple and they actually had bands who haven’t released albums in the west

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

apple podcasts plays the podcasts i ask it to and has a 30s skip forward button, i don't see why i need more features than that

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

the only ipod thing i've killed is an ipod mini click wheel when i was trying to mod it and put a screwdriver through the ribbon cable

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

ring ring ring ring ring ring ring

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

no-one in california has ever heard the term overcast used for weather

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

yeah apple music does ALAC lossless (16-bit CD quality) but only over a wired connection, wireless is limited to standard 256kbps AAC and while you can choose to run hi-res lossless at all times it's pointless unless you have the really nice headphones out at home

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

i will say in the situations where you're going to be using airpods instead of a nice pair of wired cans, it really doesn't matter, 256kbps AAC is fine and if all you own is airpods, you probably didn't care about lossless to begin with

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Pinterest Mom posted:

idk about spooky waves, how close are we to some sort of physical limit of "this is the amount of information you can transmit using the amount of battery that can last for ~5 hours in this tiny earpiece"

like is lossless over wireless something apple could credibly shoot for in an airpod that get non-zero battery life?

it's possible, sony's LDAC codec already does it as does the recent aptX lossless codec, but they're both limited by bandwidth, all sony's stuff now uses LDAC and the battery life is fine, but you're always going to be fighting bluetooth bandwidth. aptX lossless apparently drops as low as 160kbps (CD quality is 1411kbps) in areas where there's a lot of other wireless stuff around so it's arguable whether it's even worth it if you could only get the bandwidth for lossless at home where your nice wired stuff is

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Internaut! posted:

so what you guys are saying is I'm keeping 50GB of lossless music on my iPhone, where it apparently cannot possibly be used for lossless playback unless I plug it into a DAC with a Lightning cable, for no reason at all

cool cool

or just use the apple dongle like everyone else

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I’m still agonising over whether to buy the IE200s because I have a terminal IEM addiction

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

yeah I have no respect for KZ, their stuff looks good in photos and they get the youtubers but its built like poo poo right down to them straight lying about drivers, I have a few KZ sets and they’re all the exact same tuning with varying levels of terrible comfort

there’s zero reason to bother with them now other companies like moondrop, 7hz, tanchjim and truthear have gotten serious about the budget market and all have great options around $20

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

qirex posted:

my only iems are final e1000s, they were $30 and sound perfectly acceptable and I'm absolutely not going to fall into the iem grognard hole, it's already bad enough with my over ears and amp

these (and the e500s) have been heroes of the budget space for ages, with the constant caveat that final audio's QC sucks rear end so you're rolling the dice if you buy them

Beeftweeter posted:

the BLON BL03s are also good, well built and similarly cheap. both seem to be stainless, so they're kinda heavy, but i like that

e: oh yeah i can also recommend TiN T2s. they're much smaller and a bit more expensive, but the sound quality is pretty similar. they use mmcx (the others are 2-pin) so if you have a bunch of cabling that uses it already that's cool

same for the BL03 and T2's, though they also fall into pile of stuff where you have better options now, stuff like the moondrop chu, tripowin lea, 7hz zero and truthear hola all being around the $20 mark and genuinely great is awesome. i love being able to recommend cheap headphones that are actually good instead of having to give a list of caveats with everything, hopefully the wireless world will get some good cheapskate options at some point

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

fiio makes one of those too that i think has aptX support but the 2-pin version is constantly sold out

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

it's very funny that this is still being treated like a heavily anticipated hardware launch as everyone else seems to have completely given up on VR again, even facebook itself is desperately scrambling to get in on the AI bubble now

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

no music ui has ever topped coverflow

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

infernal machines posted:

i'm using 5.9, but iirc there was some reason not to use anything past 5.7. no idea what it was now, but people were mad enough about it to make plugins/themes break if it detected 5.8

anyway, milkdrop works great right out of the box

the company started doing nfts and i think there was suspicion around them building crypto stuff into it to make winamp "the official media player of web3"

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

when i really like an album i buy it on cd because it's way easier to find good cheap cd systems (i got a really nice early 2000s sony micro for £20) than it is to find good cheap turntables, also cassettes are the cooler aesthetic because then you can get into old walkmans so people actually see how big a hipster you are

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

i should get more cassettes, they're super cheap on ebay because most people getting into cassettes just buy blanks and make mixtapes instead of buying albums

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

how about that classical music huh

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

yeah just poking around it a bit today it's clear once you start seeing how it's laid out why this wouldn't have worked if it'd been just shoved into the regular apple music app

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

qirex posted:

I've toyed with the idea of making a dj mix focused music player but there's no way it would be worth the effort

i feel like i remember a company that tried doing this a while back and it crashed and burned

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

unfortunately all the recordings are some nerd rearrangements but the originals are all on regular apple music so, i was hoping there'd be a recording of the zelda orchestral symphony on there though because that was awesome to see live

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

my pros are now just under 3 years old (fsly bought all of us airpods when covid hit hard) and they still have like 95% battery capacity even though i've used them an hour a day at least during my walks since then. their battery management algo is fuckin' black magic

mine are 2 years old and the case barely holds a single bud charge any more, buds are fine but the case needs charging every 2 days instead of once a week

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Lysidas posted:

the PayPal app is the most aggressively bad I have used in recent memory, I forget exactly why I installed it but I was so happy to delete it once I was done with that one thing

it bugs me to use the app instead every time i go to the website and it feels super desperate

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

the watch is a weird one in that I never saw the point before getting one for fitness stuff and now everything feels more clunky when I forget to put it on, I forgot it a few days ago and had to get my phone out to pay for an energy drink and it was horrible

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

i also approve of destroying every printer

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

my technical opinion is all printers should be destroyed preferably twice to be sure

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

the pc sticker business is bigger than ever, people make hundreds of various nerd stickers for people to stick on pcs because they think paying money to put "designed for windows 98" on their modern gamer pc is hilarious

putting an apple sticker on a modern gamer pc is funny though and youtubers do it all the time because it makes nerds rage like crazy in the comments

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

for what it's worth the shield library is even worse

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Silver Alicorn posted:

it has emulation though

emulation that in many cases requires navigating android file systems without a touch screen, it's like pulling teeth. i got a shield for that reason and got rid of it less than a year later because just loading a game in some emulators is an ordeal

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

my second gen kindle that I can hold and use very easily with one hand is the best ebook reader

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

yeah my old kindle still happily holds a full 2-3 weeks charge no problem, its hard to care about battery degredation on a device where a full charge when new lasted a month. the good thing about fire tablets is there's a program you can use to rip all the amazon poo poo out of it and get just stock android

the problem is then you have an android tablet

though the funniest thing is that their top level tablet is £190 like who's buying that and not either a used ipad or whatever samsung are doing these days

njsykora fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Apr 18, 2023

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

also if you drop the case ever those buds go loving flying as soon as it hits the ground, i dropped them once and one was about 1cm away from being crushed under someone's foot

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

there was a great article a few months back i think titled "meta has forgotten it's a games company" around the point that the only thing anyone used VR for more than once was videogames, apple's thing is probably dead in the water unless they're putting money into that which given history, lol

Ruffian Price posted:

yeah psvr1 was huge for adoption, meanwhile people already forgot 2 came out february (sony seemingly did too, they stopped updating the psvr2 game list with new releases as they come out)
easy to expect a higher price tag means more problems fixed from the standard hmd set of potential issues but all premium headsets exhibit a different selection of problems instead

psvr1 was also the cheapest headset you could get at a time where VR was the hot new thing, and an add-on to a console everyone had. psvr2 is one of the more expensive headsets at a time when everyone's sick of VR and an add-on to a console no-one can get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

no-one who’s ever used siri should trust apple’s ability to make an “AI” anything