Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

roger ebert never directed a movie, he must be a hack

(roger ebert did co-write a movie though)
(gene siskel rated it 0/4 stars and dunked on its writing super hard lol)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

for something like qlab rock solid status is massively easier to achieve on macos than linux

1. your users aren't able to run it on random shitbox hardware, the prices are high but the quality is mostly high to match (ignoring recent keyboard issues lol). also this helps reduce the amount of testing you need to do.

2. operating systems targeted at consumers have higher baseline reliability of their features. deploying millions of a platform to millions of randos doin' a universe of weird poo poo means the corners of the system get debugged faster than you get when you're os is mostly deployed to boring datacenters where it does a very narrow set of things. server things end up being quite reliable but the rest, not so much

3. linux wastes so much of its collective developer energy on useless bullshit. the eternal blood war between kde and gnome, ~distributions~, etc. they couldn't even manage to modernize init without controversy and schisms. all of this detracts from achieving consumer level stability and the features needed to make it easy and pleasant to build apps non computer touchers like to use, such as qlab

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

2010 macbook pros cannot boot from usb to install windows. i have to go get or burn installation media.

i have booted 2006 intel macs from usb sticks, might be something else going on there

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

earlier ones can. it's something to do with this year model from my googling.

huh i tried googling that too and it sounds like on macsbook pro with internal dvd drives, boot camp requires dvd installation

if you are trying to use boot camp, and it's what's getting in the way, i think you can install windows without going through boot camp assistant. might be a path to try if you don't have any dvd media sitting around to burn or the superdrive's broke or removed in favor of a second hdd

that reminds me that i have a pile of blank dvds that i havent touched in like 8 or 9 years lol. booting from optical media is so archaic

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Lambert posted:

Well, that's what you get for using a mac - things that are easy on PCs become a hassle.

:allears: i bet you think this is a solid burn

macinteesh have been booting from external disk drives without any hassle whatsoever since the 1980s

the only thing that's making Mr. Nice!'s experience difficult is that (a) windows boot and install is an insane shitshow because lol microsoft, (b) mac efi firmware does a lot of poo poo different from pc efi, because it's only kinda a pc, so the clusterfuck is magnified, and (c) not unrelated to b, support for windows on mac hardware is extremely not apple's highest priority, because if it was, why would they even be making macs at all lol

if Nice! was trying to boot macos from a usb it would work fine

linux too. i've booted live usb sticks on macs countless times

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Lambert posted:

Imagine melting down like this about someone criticizing a shortcoming of your favorite computing platform, lol.
    /

quote:

I REALLY care about my FLAC files. Really REALLY care. I listen to my huge FLAC collection with my Special Ears. If you don't you're loving stupid.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Lambert posted:

That title was bought by some guy mad about me pointing out the fact that streaming services don't deliver "amazing quality".

nah i was in that thread and whoever bought that title only slightly exaggerated your meltdown

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

Windows 10 is the best desktop operating system in the world and you need to buy a new computer.

imagine believing this

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The_Franz posted:

kenwood did made a 72x cd-rom drive at some point that used multiple pickups while only spinning the disk at around 5k rpm max. apparently they were fairly unreliable though

i had one, it owned until it broke. super fast, very quiet

i suspect kenwood gave up rather than trying to make it reliable because it must have been clear that writers were the future and it seems unlikely they had any path to making that technology write capable

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

lord funk posted:

there were a few years where you could walk in, grab something, and just pay with the nearest blue shirt

now you walk in and they're like 'hi! let's put you in a huge queue because we don't have a checkout counter for your adapter purchase'

'no, those assistants that are standing around talking can't help you either'

the pro move for that scenario is to walk in, grab item, use the apple store app on your iphone to scan and pay for it, and walk out half expecting to be arrested for shoplifting

(i actually like this system even though it feels super weird to buy something retail without interacting with a human or even a self checkout counter)

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

infernal machines posted:

it was single link dvi otherwise, so up to 1920x1200, but anything powered off it could only draw up to 100 watts, which at the time was actually a limiting factor

not much of one, the main thing it prevented during the time ADC was a thing was CRTs larger than 17"

adc was probably a jobs thing btw, not a jony thing

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

rjmccall posted:

i donít have inside information on this, but i doubt we have like an 80% profit margin on the stand. itís probably just specced out in some ~no compromises~ way with ridiculous milling requirements that means it legit costs six/seven hundred bucks to make one

p sure itís this, the wwdc reveal showed some pictures of the counterbalancing mechanism hidden inside the arm and it looks very complicated

no doubt itíll be silky smooth and effortless to adjust despite supporting a heavy display, and the magnetic quick attach / detach will be cool as poo poo, but, they couldíve gotten 95% of the way there with something a fraction of the cost, and very few users will ever care about that last 5% since most will permanently mount it at one desk where the mounting system is elegantly out of sight

otoh if the $5K display attached to the $1K stand matches the promise of being a viable replacement for $40K reference displays, customers wonít care about paying too much for the stand

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

evilweasel posted:

it probably started off well above "100%"

i installed marcel bresink's battery monitor app on my macbook pro on day 1. it showed me that (a) my battery was nominally 8440 mAh and (b) the real capacity was well above 8440mAh for the first few months of use. maybe about 5% extra i think?

same pattern held true for a new battery after i got apple to replace the original three years later (for free, because the original decided to get swole)

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

imagine the kind of total rear end in a top hat you would be if you declined treatment during the early stages of the disease, only to fly across the country to steal a liver transplant that could have saved someone's life later on

organ donations do not work that way

the clock is ticking as soon as the donorís organs start being removed. you canít bank organs on ice indefinitely and the best probability of a good outcome is when the organ spends almost no time outside a body

transplant waiting lists arenít strict first in first out, apparently many/most states have boards of m.d.s who meet and triage who gets what based on prognosis, likely immune compatibility, etc. the controversy with jobs was that he did at least one move to game the system: he established residence in another state to get on a much shorter waiting list than californiaís, meaning heíd have a better chance of being the best candidate for a compatible liver, and used the fact that he had a private jet which he could maintain fueled and ready to go 24/7 to justify living far away. (independent of all other criteria, you have to plausibly be able to show up at the hospital within a few hours of getting the call.)

so thatís an rear end in a top hat billionaire move not available to the rest of us, but there is no way to know whether he got a liver someone else could have used without committing a billion hipaa violations to unveil that stateís transplant board decisions. i read an oncologistís blog posts about the whole thing many years ago and iirc they said that obviously patients with a metastasized cancer are generally terrible candidates, but jobs still couldíve been the best or only candidate for that liver

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

someone posted:

words were here!

gently caress

stymie approved of my post

what am i doing with my life

BobHoward fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jul 18, 2019

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

pram posted:

failing to see how this extremely mundane thing is worthy of being hyperbolically angry about (yospos bitch lol)

im enjoying the idea that we should be super mad at apple about accessibility when, for all its faults, apple is easily the only major tech company that has given even a single poo poo about accessibility for a sustained period of time

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Lambert posted:

*post long fan fiction about how Apple is secretly really competent because they were able to incorporate a generic GPU design and used their own branding for it. They're going to revolutionize everything. Again.

appleís silicon engineering team actually is incredibly competent and itís not fanfic to say so. they objectively have designed the best mobile cpu cores in the world. i am willing to accept the mgmtís assertion that their ml accelerator is best in class too. overall theyíre clearly the tech leader in phone and tablet SoCs, and itís not very close.

what actually went down in gpu land is that many years ago Apple wanted to acquire imagination tech, their longtime gpu ip provider, which was already informally a private Apple design house (most revenue was from Apple, and they worked closely with Apple engineering on new designs). for whatever reason, imgtecís execs turned Apple down, so Apple execs decided to get their way by burning some of that massive cash hoard. they set up a new U.K. gpu design center next door to imaginationís, so nobody would need to relocate, and made enough godfather offers to get much of imgtecís engineering team to jump ship

a few years after this blatant poaching started Apple issued a press release giving the schedule for when they planned to be 100% off of imagination gpus. as a public company this forced imagination to notify investors that the companyís future was in severe doubt. imgtec also issued pr promising legal action because there was no way Appleís gpu didnít infringe, like, all of their patents. predictably, apple fired back a nuh-uh.

we wonít get a legal resolution to that pr slapfight since imagination got acquired by a private equity company in fall 2018, and shortly thereafter threw in the towel. presumably the new owners didnít think the legal dispute was going to pay out, or just had other plans and were pleased Apple had devalued the stock so much

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

also every retail store with more than a few cashiers should have one long line feeding to whichever cashier is free

(i think fry's electronics does this)

the last few times Iíve been to a frys this has made it very stark how far frys has fallen from its glory days. the big stores like Sunnyvale have 50+ cashier stands, but these days you never see more than 5 staffed, and not much of a line

itís kinda mysterious how fryís still exists tbh, what with the 1-2 punch of amazon destroying retail and that one frys exec who embezzled shitloads of money (to gamble in vegas, so they werenít able to claw much back)

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

evilweasel posted:

prices arenít the only thing their fleet of 737s wants to bring down

aside from the joke thereís an easily googled photo of the southwest 737max fleet sitting grounded in victorville ca, and apparently theyíre putting feelers out to airbus

not the first time the latter has happened, but itís likely to be more serious than just bargaining leverage this time around. the max debacle has been an object lesson in how far itís safe to keep incrementally upgrading a really old airplane design. southwest management is a bunch of fools if they havenít realized by now that the max is the last 737 family airframe they should buy

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

evilweasel posted:

airbus has a design thatís almost exactly as old. the problem isnít age itís that the 737 design just couldnít accommodate the new fuel-efficient engine and the airbus equivalent could, so Boeing slapped it on anyway rather than cede the midsized jet market to airbus and welp

ďalmost exactly as oldĒ is doing a lot of work there. itís describing a gap of 20 years, and elides a giant difference in the engines the respective planes were originally designed for

737ís first flight was in 1967. like most 1960s jetliners it was designed for turbojets, comically narrow (and inefficient) by modern standards. it was updated in the 1980s for the cfm56 turbofan; that program was a success, but already stretched the limits of what could be done, and even so boeing had to settle for a reduced fan diameter version of the cfm56

a320ís first flight was 1987, and it was designed around the full diameter cfm56

the rest, we agree on: when even larger diameter turbofans needed to be installed, the a320 required reasonable tweaks, but the 737 ought to have been shitcanned in favor of a clean sheet design, drat the market share

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

echinopsis posted:

sort by page fault delta, and it fucks me off that it happens at all when i apparently have so much free memory :argh:

correct me if I am wrong but a page fault is when a (part of a) program has to be paged to disk because no free ram?

no, page faults is the opposite direction

when a process attempts to access a page that is not currently present in ram, that results in a protection fault (all non-resident pages are marked as illegal to access in the page table). this causes the operating system's page fault handler to get invoked. it then figures out where to get the page data from (e.g. a swapfile or swap partition), allocates a physical page to hold it, copies the data into that page, fixes up the page table to point at it and make it not illegal to access anymore, and resumes the process that faulted

page faults happen even when you aren't using swap btw. one of the standard tricks in unix descended operating systems (probably windows too?) is that when you create a process, the executable binary file on disk is mapped as backing store for the area of memory the executable code will occupy. essentially, /bin/foo is treated as a mini swapfile! the os doesn't have to explicitly load any of it into memory before the program starts, it can just set up the mapping and start the process. the cpu's attempt to execute the very first instruction of this new process immediately pagefaults, the page fault handler brings in the page, and now your program's actually running.

this is referred to as demand-paged loading (or similar). the reason to do it this way is that on program startup you only allocate physical memory for the pages in the executable which are actually needed; lots of programs have rarely used code paths and they'll only get loaded on demand.

all these are page faults same as the page faults which retrieve data from a swap file, it's literally the same code path to the os. hence you can see page faults even when no swapping is happening

another one which may get accounted as a page fault is lazy allocation. say your process asks the os for a megabytes of memory, most operating systems just return without doing anything more than creating a megabyte's worth of page table entries that are all marked as nonresident with no backing store. first time the program tries to access one of these pages, the page fault handler allocates a physical page, fills it with zeroes (so as not to leak information from whatever process previously owned that physical page), maps it in, etc. similar to demand paged loading, lazy allocation optimizes lots of real world cases where programs ask for much more memory than they end up really using.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

evilweasel posted:

christ alive losing jobs' perfectionist rear end in a top hat streak really did make a difference

itís been mentioned already, but for extra emphasis, the titanium powerbook g4 had the exact same cosmetic paint chipping problem in addition to far more serious non cosmetic problems, and that was deffo an ives/jobs special

jobs was not just imperfect at filtering out the fuckups, sometimes he was the source of the fuckups

more examples: the g4 cube and the trash can Mac Pro, both obviously inspired by stebes fondness for the next cube, all failures

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

echinopsis posted:

Originally when I got touchid, I never bothered because the 4 digit pin was faster

but then the next ios update made it so that you have to fail the touchid for the pin entry to come up, so it became faster to use touchid

fuckin hell apple

if you never used touchid why did you not disable it, forcing the phone to exclusively use pin

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i wouldn't say ridiculously slower

less capable, sure

you could cram a lot more cores in the x86 version, but the individual cores were not much faster than the original g5 parts from years earlier

this was true if and only if your workload consisted almost exclusively of altivec accelerated number crunching software, the only thing late period powerpc was actually competitive at

everything else was far faster on woodcrest, particularly branchy general purpose integer code (which includes more or less the entire stack of software that most users perceive as the speed of their computer). you complain about the fsb, but the merom/conroe/woodcrest core was such a revelation in tyool 2006 that it didnít matter

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

if you had precisely one (1) thread, and your code made good use of the better cache, sure

if you wanted, for example, two threads, or god help you, to execute a compiler, the g5 looked relatively ok.

lol u dummy compilers are exactly the kind of code where core2 dominated all competition (especially g5) and 2 threades were fine because core2 had 2 cores per die, and >2 threads were fine for the most part because it was the mid oughts so most people didnít run loads which made the fsb interconnect fall short

the main competition for multi socket core2 was amd. they had better interconnect, but that didnít save them. core2 was such a massive leap in per-core perf, and the fsb was good enough for 90% of the market, or more. yes it took nehalem with qpi interconnect to fully dehumanize everyone and make them face to intel, but in market share terms that merely bounced the rubble. core 2 had already done most of the work in spite of its relatively antiquated socket interconnect

like, idk what world you live in but in mine p much everyone who had a g5 and moved to a first gen Mac Pro saw huge performance gains unless running ppc code through the emulator (and even then, the emulator was astonishingly good, about half the perf of a real g5 iirc)

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

lol whut

back in the day my (horrendously slow) 2x 1.2 ghz palomino amd systems were almost 2x as fast at compiling code as a 2x 2.0 ghz xeon system, because bus contention is everything

a 4x 270 MHz sgi mips system, on many benchmarks, was faster than either intel or amd, because memory bandwidth and bus bandwidth were so good

those old intel systems were dogshit

the "core" microarchitecture could only look good standing next to netburst

boy am i grateful for modern architectures

compilers are generally single threaded so thereís not much lock contention generated by additional threads. forex in the c world multithreaded compilation means you run N copies of the compiler, each one compiling a different source file. the fsb doesnít matter much in this kind of load if you have adequate LLC, which core2 did

as you often do youíve constructed a bizarro alternate reality out of jumbled memories. amd palomino shipped in 2001 and it was a 180nm k7 core (no amd64 isa yet). core 2 was 65nm, shipped in 2006, 64 bit, and its main AMD competition was athlon 64 x2 (90nm k8 core)

you wouldnít have been baking off your palomino against a core 2 until the palomino was thoroughly obsolete, and thereís simply no way it could have beaten a core 2 at anything (short of carefully constructing a hostile microbenchmark, eg pathological code which generated lots more cache misses on c2ís cache hierarchy)

also if itís all about the fsb, for avoidance of future embarrassment you may wish to know that your palomino relied on a fsb which ran at 1/4 the speed of the core 2 fsb. both 64 bits wide, palomino clocked its fsb at 133 MHz DDR and c2 was 266 MHz QDR

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

tk posted:

Iím sure the chips will be great. Itís the software that Iím concerned about.

apple's recent software quality issues don't have anything to do with the processor said software is running on, and it's doubtful that changing what target they're compiling for will have much impact

watched a wwdc vid that was an apple engineer presenting the common porting issues apple encountered in its own mac apps and it was mostly pretty banal stuff

by far the most spicy thing was "watch out for race conditions that intel's strong memory ordering model was hiding from you"

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The Management posted:

this is going to bite every dummy that uses ďvolatileĒ in their app.

lol if that's much of a thing

only people writing device drivers should ever consider using "volatile", imo, and you don't use it for (fake) thread safety there

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I would have thought NDAís last longer than that

franÁois gives no fucks about :decorum: much less NDAs, he was well known in many computer enthusiast forums while he was still with intel

(for trolling the poo poo out of amd fans, mostly. he was the Intel Numba 1 superfan, absolutely loved playing the heel)

the fact that they broke him enough that he's airing the dirty laundry is telling in and of itself

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

silence_kit posted:

How provocative of a statement is that really? Is that like extremely extremely bad, or just bad?

For some kinds of products which are probably less engineered than a computer chip, it is not that unusual for the users of the product to better understand how to use the product than the manufacturer.

in computer chips it's real bad

it's acceptable if apple finds some of the bugs. not because as the user they've got greater insight, but because testing something as complex as a modern cpu is fantastically hard and there will always be corner cases that you won't find with your own tests, which can never cover everything.

but they should cover a lot. it's not acceptable if apple is finding most of the bugs. as intel, that means either your testing people were underfunded or done hosed up. if i remember the rumors from around skylake times correctly, it was probably bad management trying to cut costs

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

one thing nobody's mentioned yet as to why apple can succeed with this: process tech

aside from testing, the other thing intel has hosed up royally on is process tech. they used to poo poo out new nodes like clockwork, but that all went boom with the 10nm node. they've been on 14nm for ages.

intel 10nm parts are finally out in more than trivial quantities, but they are unlikely to ever transition all product segments to 10nm, it's basically a failed node and they're trying to push to keep 7nm on track rather than throwing more money into the 10nm bonfire

meanwhile, tsmc has been shipping 7nm for quite some time. tsmc nanometers are not the same as intel nanometers but it is likely that tsmc7 is better node than intel14

and apple is probably going to ship their first ARM macs with chips built on tsmc 5nm

never discount the role of process tech, it was as much a factor in apple switching to intel back in the oughts as anything else

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Carthag Tuek posted:

iirc it was some guy who was doing it skunkworks style until it was ready to show to steve

late on this but wanted to add

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nY_ABCZJcpc

also some of the keepin' x86 alive work was done in public! from the predawn of os x to after intel macs, you could download a free unix os distribution based on the os x kernel and unix userland. it was always available for x86, not just powerpc, so it wasn't any secret that the unix layer of os x was being maintained for x86. the only thing the public didn't know was that all the layers above it were too

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The Management posted:

the intel pc monoculture has been so boring. bring back crazy SGI boxes

in the late 1980s motherfucking atari, of all companies, tried to make a wild-rear end workstation based on inmos transputer chips, supporting up to 17 processors (plus a complete mega st as the i/o controller lol)

as atari oftten did, they were attempting to build a world beater on a sliver of the budget and domain knowledge required to properly support and market the product. it did not go well, but apparently it did actually go to serial production (a few hundred units)

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

eschaton posted:

use that old PowerBook as your posting station

what is that, a 1400cs?

nah that's a 3400c

e: or a 5300 (ew), but i think i see the speaker grille opening on the display housing that (iirc) was only present on the 3400

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

so like did tsmc have some major breakthrough? or are their engineers just better than intel's?

the best writeups i've seen suggest that intel management got too high on its own supply

as in, all the past successes at rolling out industry first technologies on a positively robotic schedule (hkmg and finfet as eide mentioned) convinced execs to greenlight too many risky ideas for the 10nm node

once this was done, because the management culture at intel was "we're loving intel, of course it will work, process is what we do", that meant management careers were at stake (or at least the owners of said careers perceived it that way), so there was resistance to de-risking as things began to not work out

at some point they were too far down this bad path - the design side had made substantial progress on chips designed for the new process, so there was a lot of other work which would have to be redone if the 10nm process had to change too much

sometime within the last 12 months i remember seeing a thing where intel execs mea culpad a bit and said that their design practices are changing so that internal ip cores are less tied to specific process nodes. that was one of the big problems of the last 5 years: they weren't stuck shipping skylake derivatives just because 10nm wasn't ready, they couldn't (or wouldn't, because stubborn insistence on believing that 10nm would work real soon now) port new cores and other components to the old process node

(that's why intel is so late to the party with pcie gen 4, btw. they tied it to 10nm)

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

lord funk posted:

bahahahahahahaha loving 'music direct' tim here

nah

the key specs there are 2 meters, 40 Gbps, usb-c 100W power delivery. these are all the highest spec possible

and that matters a lot because these high end features require silicon embedded in the cable heads. these aren't just passive wires. 40G over copper is hard, especially at 2 meters, there's probably literal mini DSP processors at each end of that cable. apparently the length limit for passive 40G TB3 cables is 0.5m

since few cables with maximalist specs are sold, and since there's so much active circuitry involved, they're fairly expensive to build. economies of scale matter.

for comparison, apple's own website lists this: https://www.apple.com/shop/product/HMBH2ZM/A/belkin-thunderbolt-3-5a-cable-2-m

which looks like basically the same thing, but made by belkin. apple's version costing $50 more is p. normal apple tax imo

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Beamed posted:

this post is loving incredible lmfao

literally the truth though lol

thunderbolt cables have always been kinda dumb this way, it wasn't till TB3 that passive cables were even possible at all, iirc

adding in the sea of insanity that is USB-C Power Delivery makes it even more fun

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

im surprised to see ppl in the grey forums going "yeah owc is bad lol" :confused:

owc is a land of contrasts but there are a few posters in the grey thread who think they're the shadiest fly by night ever, which is kinda silly

a couple years ago they honored lifetime ram warranty for me and went the extra mile to resolve it despite a fuckup on my part which required a double return process

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

are you seriously going to claim with a straight face that an arm macbook/desktop will not be a 1.0 product in a meaningful sense?

i think it's likely not a 1.0 yeah

on the silicon side, it's extremely not-1.0. first generation arm macs are almost certain to use an A14 variant, which will be the 9th generation Axx chip that has an apple-designed arm core (8th if you only want to count 64-bit ARM v8 cores)

the most unknown territory is adding high performance i/o in the form of thunderbolt and/or pcie, but i don't think that's a significant challenge for a company with apple's resources (they've already done pcie in-house, in the form of ssd controllers for x86 macs)

on the software side, ios started as a fork of macos and apple's been slowly un-forking pieces the past several years (or at least that's my impression). there's going to be a lot of code sharing, particularly in the kernel which is probably one of the least-forked layers of the system.

as for integrating the silicon into a mac, i'd point out that building a mac around their own arm chip is likely to be way simpler and less bug prone than whatever bullshit they got up to in order to shoehorn an alien thing like the T1/T2 chip into the extremely janky legacy-encrusted system design that is an x86 PC capable of booting windows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

sure, okay. i'm just going to quote this and i guess we'll see how it ages.

i'm not suggesting apple has somehow forgotten how to build computers just because they're switching platforms again. i am suggesting that they're doing a hell of a lot more than just dropping an ipad pro soc in a mac pro and calling it a day. i think the high performance i/o and general systems integration are a lot more than you're making them out to be. generally that comes with some unexpected quirks, maybe this time, as opposed to every other time they've transitioned between cpu architectures, it won't

agreed re quirks but i think my op is already aging well based on a recent discovery

https://twitter.com/never_released/status/1288690047374565377

https://github.com/saagarjha/TSOEnabler

so, this shows that A12z in the dtk mini (also appearing in 2019 ipads pro) has a gratuitously unnecessary feature for an ipad chip: a processor mode bit providing x86 memory ordering semantics

you only put that alien feature in an arm core if you want it to be fast at emulating x86. apple clearly designed A12z as a mac chip, even if they had no intent of ever shipping it to end users as such. the dtks can now be regarded as 1.0 armmacs, not just ipad chips stuffed in a mac mini shell

(the actual 1.0 armmac chip may have been an even earlier generation like A11, ofc)